• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy discussion thread III: Riding the Eternal Wind

Well, taking my time with Crisis Core and other FFVII stuff to play FFVIII as well. Gotta say, it's refreshing to just sit back and enjoy the game without havint to take notes or stopping to look up every detail that may seem important.

OK my fellow Final Fantasy fans can you all come and defend your lord and savior super model Lightnings.

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2551721?useskin=oasis

Jiren vs Lightning I tried my best to defend her but people are waking Jiren and saying he's 4-D cause he immune to time (which is a blatant lie said by Ant, several mods staff members and others in another discussion thread) and they are trying to say he can resist lightnings debuff abilities and her insane Time manipulation too just oof

Can't wait to see my FFVII girl Scarlet, it's amazing that FFVII has all of this hype and the entire game is taking place in Midgar they haven't shown anything else outside of it.

Well, it was confirmed at E3 that it is going to take place entirely ond Midgar and so far they've shown they've gone out of their way to fully make the city feel alive and give depth to the layers the original game covered.

I'm more carefully optimistic regarding the Remake. So far everything's looking great, but still wary of curveballs given the issues that have plagued other awaited titles of SE.

I had forgotten... one face we can also expect is our favorite sociopathic, gigling biologist Hojo.

We shall see upon release. I feel the same way but given the history, best not hold our breaths hopefully The Remake takes them away.

Also predecting the cast to be in either Tier 7 or 6, maybe Tier 5 at highest and since it's taking place in Midgar it's possible we won't see his more powerful Limit Breaks such as Meteorain, Finishing Touch and of course Omnislash. They really should have named it FFVII Remake Pt1.

Question by how much lightning can slow an enemy with slowga how big is the difference like 3x or 10x (its for the Jiren vs Lightning)

This perso. She's the head of the Weapons Development of Shinra, she is also the one who burned down Barret's home. And she had that slap fight with Tifa in Junon.

@Bware: Yeah, perhaps they will retroactively.

Given the more cinematic feel, perhaps we will get more actual cutscene displays on the vein of AC or DoC. Summons can also help in that regard. Though if I had to follow a hunch, I'd say the party will land on tier 7 in the first part, maybe 6 if Summons get over the top.

I wonder if the remake will balance the things a bit more since this is not a 1997 game. Tifa and co were soloing SOLDIER first class near the end of the game for some reason.

What is even the point of mako and Jenova cells tbh if a bunch of random people can go from below third calss to first calss level in like few months

@TartaChocholate Oh it's the women who had slapping contest with Tifa lol.

Hmm... Perhaps bring how the entire program has decayed and cases comparable to Zack are a huge rarity, with Sephiroth being outright unique. Or maybe try to explain why the members of the party are so though with different reason, kinda like Nanaki's race of Red-Dog Lion thingies are exceptionally powerful monsters (being guardians of the Planet and all), Aerith has unnaturally strong spirit energy and magic due to being part Cetra, Vincent is a former Turk and the experiments Hojo performed granted him huge power (if Chaos' plot is left out), Yuffie is a prodigy trained by Wutai's finest master ninjas in their secrets (not forgetting Wutai did stand up to Shinra for a good while), Cait Sith despite his goofy design, is Reeve's masterpiece when it comes to combat machines (the opposite of what is established now)

The ones that would need some more lore backing up are Tifa, Barret and Cid. Tifa was trained by Zangan who is said to be the best martial artist of the world and he said she had potential, that could go fully into her being a genius and Spirit Energy master.

Dunno, just throwing ideas.

Cid needs some serious lore backup. As far I remember dude isn't even a fighter he was just a middle-aged engineer. Tifa isn't that hard. As you said her master was the best in the world and you could write her off as good at ths whole Spirit Energy BS.

They should leave the heavy lifting to people like Cloud and Vincent

I have no problem with first class soldiers being OP because they are meant to be the elite, and speaking of which, we need more first class characters in the remake. Why were they just enemies in random encounters? Some of them could serve as rivals for Cloud along the way as he slowly claim up the ranks reaching the top dog himself Sephy.

Choas was part of Vinc's original 4 transformations IIRC so I think they will keep the plot regarding him

Spirit Energy is essentially the Ki/Chakra/Reiki/Nen/Cosmos of FFVII, while it didn't receive much attention at first beyond "it's what makes you be alive" in expanded materials it ended up being the justification for Limit Breaks, personal abilities that weren't related to Materia and just the personal connection a person could share to the Planet. It may sound cheap at first, but it can be properly developed if they actually go there. As Mako it received focus, but it was more as fuel if anything

I agree though, both Barret and especially Cid need more story if they want to justify being so strong. Barret despite being a very tough guy, never has anything explaining why he's so strong, never mentioned preparing himself or training or anything either.

Barrte use handcanon and fight at distant, they could just keep upgrading his canon through some hidden Shinra technology to bring down the toughest monsters and call it a day.

The only characters I have a hard time trying to come up with a justification for are Cid and Yuffie kinda.

It would be cool to have more 1st Class be more present or serve as bosses, making them more scarce in numbers but also making them feel more unique. I dunno, Make Kunsel (Zack's 2nd class buddy) a 1st this time around if they go for it.

Chaos being part of Vincent is pretty likely, what we will have to wait and see is if they go with the whole deal of Chaos and Omega. While I don't like DoC, I admit that if they manage to integrate that into the main story with Sephiroth would be kinda cool (just leave Deepground out).

Wutai was also a warrior nation and Shinra had a very tough time with them, even with SOLDIER. Yuffie, being the daughter of Godo Wutai's leader, could be treated as a pretty powerful warrior in her own right using Wutai's martial and military arts. They could go a step further and make her a Materia expert, given her Materia obsession and all.

I would be down first class Kunsel boss tbh. Hell, It's pretty likely they will bring back Zack himself considering how popular he is and make him an antagonist or something.

Yuffie if too young to call her expert in anything imo but it's a videogame so eh...

In Japanese fiction being over 10 means you're a responsible adult that must take your own life and the fate of the world on your hands. 14-16 means you're an experienced warrior that knows the ropes well. 17-18 makes you a veteran in their twilight years watching over your juniors while you think of retirement. 19+ means you're an old codger that's just in the way and should step aside for the newer generations.

I don't think they will change Zack's fate for the remake, but I think they will greatly expand his role and impact in the lives of the cast and the setting, probably flashback episodes dedicated to his POV switching from Cloud's perspective.

LMAO fair point. Zack was also a first class and basically an idol when was 18 so age is just a number I guess.

Zack's death plays a pretty big role Cloud's character arc so surely he will die. What I meant is maybe Hojo will bring him back from the dead for sometime and then Cloud will have to put him down for good. In Crisis Core Cloud just left his body on the heel and went on.

"In Japanese fiction being over 10 means you're a responsible adult that must take your own life and the fate of the world on your hands. 14-16 means you're an experienced warrior that knows the ropes well. 17-18 makes you a veteran in their twilight years watching over your juniors while you think of retirement. 19+ means you're an old codger that's just in the way and should step aside for the newer generations."

What about the millenary characters with a child's body?

They are a special class that has the privileges of the 17-18 range, the knowledge of the 19+ range, the relevance of the 14-16 range, but act their physical age of 10 because Moe hax is popular.

Sooo, I have been trying to void doing this for a whole but I guess I couldn't help myself in the end. I finally downloaded DISSDIA Final Fantasy NT!

On scale of 10, how bad is the trainwreck I got myself into? 0__0

Welcome to the Party. Honestly it's really not that bad, like a 4 out of 10 on the negative part. The most annoying thing about it is that on rare occassions balancing teams during match making is bad. The story is very different from the PSP games as well but not as engaging. If you plan on playing it alot subscribe to the Trueblade Seeker channel. He's a good source for everything Dissidia related including character matchups, balancing, etc.

Asuming the ff VII remake will be distributed in 2 parts, I hope you can transfer the data from 1 to 2.

Yeah, Trueblade is a good channel and his videos can be entertaining as well.

I honestly think NT is a harmless and fun game, I wouldn't say it's great but is good to mess around with your favorites and watch chaos ensue. To be fair, since I was following Dissidia Arcade back in 2014 I kinda knew that it would be bare bones compared to the other Dissidia, given it was a port of an arena battler arcade game, rather than a PS4 Dissidia game.

@Pachi: Let's hope so, I'm curious how they can balance out that.

I mean I'm sure you would be able to. It wouldn't make much sense other wise. They said that the Remake would end with the famous bike chase out of Midgar so obviously that's Disc 2, where do you think Disc 1 will end?

In other news Congrats to FFV for getting thier hax upgrades approved. Hopefully they can get tier upgraded as well in the future.

In other other news...I hate to do this but would anyone show one of our boys some love. https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3328704 (Literally 1 more vote is needed and then this could finally be over. While he's close to beating another Low 2-C https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3324699

I wonder if they will humanize Sephy to be a tragic villain instead of just being Satan walking on earth. He was pretty shallow and flat in the original FFVII.

Cid and yuffie's characters also need a lot of work to fit into the story witout feeling just a tag along.

That's what we have Crisis Core for

But anyway does anyone play Dissidia Opera Omnia? Paine just got added and she's so good, makes me wanna stop putting off buying FFX-X2.

I didn't finish Crisis Core but even if they humanized in it, FFVII still did his character dirty and didn't give it a payoff.

@Zero: I think they can apply the tragic side like in Crisis Core to give him a proper background, but they should go the full way into how much of a megomaniacal evil bastard he became after he went bad, because, seriously as seen in On the Way to a Smile his sadism is pretty messed up.

I think an interesting take to explore would be the contrast between hero Sephy and fallen Sephy, just to show how big the impact was of how the worlds biggest hero became the biggest threat. Another possibility is giving him a proper philosophy regarding his right as heir of the Planet or Jenova's parasitic nature, going beyond "I am a god".

I agree on Cid and Yuffie. I dunno what they can do with Cid, but Yuffie has the material ready by virtue of being the daughter of Wutai's ruler, seeking the restoration of her country, hating Shinra and all that. She honestly has a lot of reasons to actually want to follow AVALANCHE.

There's some pretty good stuff regarding Sephy's character that sadly got lost in the cutting room before the final version of the game. Lemme gather it and I'll summarize it later. Yuffie also had a proper story quest.

@Hst: Sadly Opera Omnia is not available where I live.

Ooh! One thing that would be fun to see, in the worst way possible, is how Sephiroth's childhood was like. Especially with Hojo around.

Syphy has all the foundation for being a tragic character tbh. From being just an experience to being isolated from everyone and feeling lonely and different and lied through his whole life.

Heck, Sephy's childhood could mirror Cloud's with how both of them were an outcast and lonely. The difference will be the fact that Cloud was a loser while Sephy was a prodigy

....... Why I am getting strong Naruto/Sasuke vibes from this? Lol

Back