• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

FE thread 7: Eagles are black, Lions are Blue, Deers are Golden, which one are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the option of choosing between Classic or Casual is a harmless issue tbh. It allows more people to get into the games as well as if they so wish after they got a feel for the game in Casual, they can go for Classic if they so wish.

Btw, this is because I liked the idea when I saw some mods in youtube, but I'd like a 0% growths mode in the games.

Are you a *********?

With the amount of available skills? Its doable.

Heck, I have seen Lunatic Shadow Dragon 0% growths.

The problem with casual mode is that it allows you to be more negligent with your units, and it really instills a sense in you that it's impossible to lose (which it is). It causes you to play more carelessly, and generally is a detriment to your experience. It removes all tension, and gives you no reason to come up with any sort of strategy. It doesn't make the obstacles in the game itself any easier for new players, it just removes any incentive to play intelligently.

Watch any casual mode let's play on Youtube and you'll see the player has a noticeably different attitude towards battles. When you have an abundance of divine pulses available to you, there is no reason to ever play casual mode. For first time players who don't know about divine pulse I don't blame them for choosing casual mode, but for everyone else it'll be more fun not to. If you want to play a strategy game, you probably shouldn't be selecting options that make it easier for you not to have to strategize.

Yeah, not the biggest fan of Casual Mode except for playing on high difficulties and more so just scrolling through completions side stories and the like. But I always want to play through all difficulties on Classic before doing casual. Or casual could be a fun way to try to train weaker characters even on later chapters however.

I don't like this idea of people saying one person should not play something how they want to play, you have no right to say that they shouldn't play like that as it is an option and they should be allowed to play any mode they want to. Not every strategy game has to be played one way and people should be allowed to play however the **** we want. If the player becomes negilgent, that's their problem not yours. You can play Classic all you want, it's your own playthrough, no one else's. People play games for different reasons and play strategy games differently as well. I am sorry, but this mindset legit sets me off and honestly it kept me away from the Fire Emblem fanbase in particular.

When I play FE, I don't care about the tension in gameplay, I care about building my characters and hearing their stories and experiencing the story myself, and I am likely not the only one who plays like this. So someone coming in and say that "you shouldn't play this mode" legit insults me and it basically someone tell me how to play a game a certain way instead of enjoying it my way.

Yeah, there are hardcore gamers and casual gamers. Some people like to play Zelda games the main way while others want to play it solely via three heart challenge. Same with the various difficulty settings.

Simply put, let people play how they want to play and don't try and dictate how they should and shouldn't play as they have every right to play it how they want without someone trying to tell them they're playing the game wrong.

Dragonmaster, there's no need to get worked up over this. I'm saying that if the player is interested in having engaging gameplay, in my opinion classic mode is the best option. I never said that people shouldn't be free to choose casual mode. I just said that I think that it's a bad idea to do so. If you disagree, then it's your choice to make. But from my perspective, the only merit to it that I can see is if the player just wants to focus on the story.

I'm not even a "hardcore gamer" or a FE veteran to begin with. I only own Nintendo consoles and the first FE game I played was Three Houses. I'm just an average player who enjoys getting as much out of the game as possible, and wishes for others to have an optimal experience. I'm not some elitist looking to dictate how people play the game. I'm just giving recommendations.

"I'm saying that if the player is interested in having engaging gameplay, in my opinion classic mode is the best option."

Except throughout you post you say things like;

"When you have an abundance of divine pulses available to you, there is no reason to ever play casual mode"

"For first time players who don't know about divine pulse I don't blame them for choosing casual mode even though they shouldn't"

"If you want to play a strategy game, you probably shouldn't be selecting options that make it easier for you not to have to strategize."

This comes off as very diclarative overall and you saying that a person shouldn't play a certain mode. It may be why you don't play said mode, but not every player in the world has the same mindset as you. There is also the fact that not every strategy game has a permadeath feature like that, see Disgaea or Devil Survivor and yet the gameplay can still be very tense. I play Casual strictly and still find myself being tense at certain parts and trying not to get my units taken out. I still get as much out of the game as possible even with permadeath taken out. Just as you can see people become less strategic in casual mode, I can also see people getting more used to the game with casual mode and switching to classic once they've had the experience.

"I'm just giving recommendations."

You say this, but when you say things like "you shouldn't play casual" and the like, it comes across as "don't play this mode beyond story as you won't be as strategic in it" when the fact is that while it allows you to be looser with your playstyle, not everyone is going to be as lax and it's an overall harmless option that does not even affect your own personal enjoyment of the game and I don't like the idea of telling people what they should or shouldn't play which I got from your post. Maybe as a Casual player I felt more attacked with your comment as it came across as you telling me that I'm playing my game wrong and that I am not getting the max amount of enjoyment I spent my money to buy when I vehemently disagree with that logic. maybe I am also more triggered by comments like this seeing as I've have seen people try and force this opinion of "casual is bad" down my and other people's throats and act like I am "playing the game wrong" when they have no right to tell me how to play the game I spent my money for.

Tbf, even people who originally hated Casual Mode are saying that Three Houses was the game that made them appreciate it. Although, from a gameplay standpoint, it does make the casual mode less necessary do to being able to rewind a few turns as opposed to constantly resetting the entire chapter the second one unit dies. But actually, casual mode in this instance actually works for the story at least during the Academy phase. Because, let's be real; these are only students and they're full of lovable characters.

And Three Houses tells the story and gives Fire Emblem a whole new meaning to character deaths. Like, the fact that during the War phase, each and every unit dying causes the music to get very melancholy, real fast. And the rest of the party mourning them really shows. It also effects exploring the monastery, with other units noticing other units' deaths and how it effects them and the concern they feel for said deceased units families back home if any.

Also, I think the semi-dictatorial comments were more so spoken out of fun rather than out of hostility. Kind of like me calling DragonMaster a pansy.

Sorry if I came across as being declarative in my statements, but I tend to look at things from a logical point of view. I've never really seen much reason to pick casual mode other than for focusing on the story. That's all I meant by that. My positions are not rock solid, and can change if presented with a convincing argument. I'm not saying "people should stop playing the way they want to", I'm actually saying that "I don't think there's any logical reason for a seasoned player to pick casual mode except for the story". In essence, my position is that classic mode can only improve your experience. With thirteen divine pulses available by the end of Part 1, the safety net is already pretty wide. I apologize if you felt attacked by my arguments, but I'm not directing them at anyone in particular, and I'm not saying that people are wrong or dumb for picking casual mode. I've just never come across a convincing argument for playing casual mode in Three Houses if you're not a new player and don't want to focus mainly on the story. As I said, my intention is to improve peoples' experiences.

I look at things from I guess a more "emotional" point of view. Whether it's logical or not, people should play whatever mode they want and play the game how they want no matter their skill level. Even seasoned FE players can feel compelled to play casual if all they really care about is plot or just simply want that more comfortable experience. I do not believe playing classic will automatically improve someone's experiences based on my own history with Classic which flat out ruined my experience with the likes of Shadow Dragon and I tried it in Awakening and found myself not having a enjoyable experience whatsoever, especially seeing as I am far more character and story based. Even on Casual I still find the gameplay fun and engaging with the only thing taken away is the permadeath which for me, ruins my experience.

Having played Fire Emblem for so long now, there may be no "logical" reason for me to touch Casual (Even though I find a seasoned player playing Casual because they enjoy it to be just as logical as anything else so I vehemently disagree with there being not logical reason to play a certain mode regardless of the skill level of the player), but it's still my prefered playstyle as it's the mode I have the most fun in whether it's logical or not. And I am likely not the only one who feels this way. This is why I get so upset with comments like this as it comes across as a shallow mindset as if there is only one logical way to play Fire Emblem when there isn't. And while you may not have meant it like that, that's how that initial comment came across, especially seeing how it's something I hear a lot from people who go out their way to demonize Casual players as a whole (which I have been the recipient of many times) and as such it is a sore spot for me. And also a reason why I am not the biggest fan of the Fire Emblem fanbase.

If only the game inserted a randomized mode.

Now, that would be interesting.

On a more serious note: there is no "correct" way to play fire emblem as anyone can use the rules they want for their runs, be it Least Turn Count, Ironman, ....

...except if you are Dragon. In that case every option is wrong and shouldnt play fire emblem ever

Classic mode is freaking awful for me and my perfectionistic brain. I don't want any of my characters to die, so of course I'm going to abuse the heck out of Divine Pulse. It kind of ruins the experience, especially when you're watching someone savescum throughout an entire livestream.

FDrybob said:
Sorry if I came across as being declarative in my statements, but I tend to look at things from a logical point of view. I've never really seen much reason to pick casual mode other than for focusing on the story. That's all I meant by that. My positions are not rock solid, and can change if presented with a convincing argument. I'm not saying "people should stop playing the way they want to", I'm actually saying that "I don't think there's any logical reason for a seasoned player to pick casual mode except for the story". In essence, my position is that classic mode can only improve your experience. With thirteen divine pulses available by the end of Part 1, the safety net is already pretty wide. I apologize if you felt attacked by my arguments, but I'm not directing them at anyone in particular, and I'm not saying that people are wrong or dumb for picking casual mode. I've just never come across a convincing argument for playing casual mode in Three Houses if you're not a new player and don't want to focus mainly on the story. As I said, my intention is to improve peoples' experiences.
Experiences are subjective to you, and that others would rather play casual than play classic. sometimes classic mode isnt an improvement over casual, depends on peoples strengths and weaknesses. for example, i suck at FE's type of play, cause i suck at strategy in general, but i exell in reactionary games like mortal combat and smash because my brain is just like that. Classic mode is not something i would enjoy more than casual, and i would know since i have completed 3ds fire emblem games before on casual. conscidering ive heard classic games were harder, im never going to try those.

however, we can all agree on one thing...

WHY THE **** WAS PHOENIX MODE A THING? IT WAS BASICALLY AN ACTIVE CHEAT ON THE GAME!!!

Imagine if Edelgard/Rhea simply put on Phoenix Mode at Gareg Mach. The war would've ended in one day...or lasted an eternity...y'know...either or.

Boss Dimitri: Kill Every Last One of Them!

Phoenix mode activates.

Boss Dimitri: Kill Ever Last One of Them! Again!!

Repeat.

You'd think that with Flayn and Seteth around Rhea wouldnt feel that alone.

If I were Seteth I'd be concerned

Truth is they werent always there. But still.

Seteth and Flayn went into hiding after the War of Heroes to protect themselves from TWSITD. Rhea only recently called for Seteth to come to the monastery. I think it was less than ten years before the start of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back