• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important instructions for all our members who use two-factor authentication via email to log in to our forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I am afraid that I have some bad news about a side-effect from our recent migration to a server with considerably higher capacity than previously.

I have been informed that Google has not yet accepted our new host server's IP address for automatic emails, such as selected notifications for discussion thread updates, or much more importantly, two-factor authentication messages for when you need to log in to this forum, which is required once every month if I have understood correctly. We seem to already be on our way to get accepted by Google again, but we unfortunately do not yet know exactly how long this will take.

However, the good news are that we have progressed sufficiently to apparently simply have our forum's automated login emails being moved to your spam folders, rather than not being seen at all.

Some of our members, including staff, have already been unable to log in to our forum, due to that sessions here only last for up to a month, so I would strongly suggest that they try to log in once again, carefully browse through their spam folders to check for authentication emails, and always mark our messages as not being spam if they find them, in order to help both themselves and our forum as a whole, so it gets fully accepted again more quickly.

In case you can not find our emails in your spam folders either, I was told that the emails might be delayed by up to 24 hours, but I may have misunderstood.

If any of our members for some reason do not receive our automated emails in your spam folders either, and you are still logged in to our forum, currently use two-factor authentication via email, and you haven't written down or forgot where you placed your emergency backup codes, it seems like a good idea to download the Authy app, and switch to using that as your extra two-factor authentication safety net instead for the time being.

Here is further information from my very recent discussion with our forum system manager:

1000049765.png

1000049766.png

Also, please take note that it is extremely late in the night for me here in Sweden, so I will unfortunately not be able to answer any questions for many hours, and would greatly appreciate if you all try to avoid making unconstructive comments or agitating each other in the meantime.

Please try to help us figure out useful and constructive solutions instead if possible. Thank you.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:
At the beginning of the announcement I thought it was very bad news, but I am glad to see that it is something that will be solved in a short time.
Also, please take note that it is extremely late in the night for me here in Sweden, so I will unfortunately not be able to answer any questions for many hours, and would greatly appreciate if you all try to avoid making unconstructive comments or agitating each other in the meantime.
Np, take a well deserved rest and I will be monitoring this thread in case of such comments.

Thank you very much for your help. It is very appreciated. 🙏❤️

I would greatly appreciate if our members can inform us here regarding if our automated email messages can be found in your spam folders or not, or if you have news from members who are still locked out from our forum due to not finding these messages.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Exactly how Google Authenticator work? Does affect the entire email or it can be limited to just the ones of VS Battles Wiki Forum?

Here are some setup instructions for Google Authenticator:

I think that it is connected to your main Google account, and it can be used for verifying your logins to multiple sites.

I already use Google authentication at the start of every month, so I should be okay.

Okay. That is good to hear. 🙏🙂

Okay, and did you check your spam folder in your Google mail?

Okay. Thank you for the information. 🙏

Can any of our established members directly or indirectly (by telling other of our members via Discord for example) verify this information please?

It seems to be correct:

That is definitely not good at all. 🙁

Given that GMail apparently does not currently always accept our forum's two-factor authentication messages, it seems like a good idea if our members who have not been logged out yet to all download Google Authenticator and add that as an alternative two-factor authentication type to email messages for the time being, especially our staff members. Just be very careful to not lose your phone or any other device that contains your Google Authenticator program. 🙏

You can probably switch back to email authentications after Google/GMail has fully accepted our new server's IP address.

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Just_a_Random_Butler @Shadowbokunohero @Ogurtsow @QrowBarr @Crazylatin77 @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03 @Marvel_Champion_07 @Therefir @IdiosyncraticLawyer @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Eficiente @DarkGrath @Moritzva @DemonGodMitchAubin @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo @Lonkitt @LephyrTheRevanchist @Deagonx @FinePoint @Elizio33 @Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Therefir @DMUA @TheRustyOne @Jasonsith @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X_2.0 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings @Dalesean027 @DemiiPowa @Flashlight237 @The_Divine_Phoenix @ZackMoon1234 @MistaClean @MonkeyOfLife @Propellus @Makai641001 @GarrixianXD @Paul_Frank

I hope that AKM sama will be able to help any of our staff members who are currently unable to log in to this forum via private Discord chat conversations regarding password resets.

Not related, but was trying this new feature and hmmm.
image.png

Okay.

You can easily turn off popup notifications via your personal user settings if you wish.
1000049781.png

I should be good for at least a month since I used a back up code; and hopefully by then, Google does notice the update.

Not related, but was trying this new feature and hmmm.
image.png
spyware

I recommend using authy over ga, you can use it anywhere you can use ga, and its just better.

Okay. That seems better then, yes.

In order to clarify, are there problems with transfering Google Authenticator information when switching to a new phone, for example?

Given that GMail apparently does not currently always accept our forum's two-factor authentication messages, it seems like a good idea if our members who have not been logged out yet to all download Google Authenticator and add that as an alternative two-factor authentication type to email messages for the time being, especially our staff members. Just be very careful to not lose your phone or any other device that contains your Google Authenticator program. 🙏

You can probably switch back to email authentications after Google/GMail has fully accepted our new server's IP address.

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Just_a_Random_Butler @Shadowbokunohero @Ogurtsow @QrowBarr @Crazylatin77 @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03 @Marvel_Champion_07 @Therefir @IdiosyncraticLawyer @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Eficiente @DarkGrath @Moritzva @DemonGodMitchAubin @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo @Lonkitt @LephyrTheRevanchist @Deagonx @FinePoint @Elizio33 @Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Therefir @DMUA @TheRustyOne @Jasonsith @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X_2.0 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings @Dalesean027 @DemiiPowa @Flashlight237 @The_Divine_Phoenix @ZackMoon1234 @MistaClean @MonkeyOfLife @Propellus @Makai641001 @GarrixianXD @Paul_Frank

I hope that AKM sama will be able to help any of our staff members who are currently unable to log in to this forum via private Discord chat conversations regarding password resets.
Good thing I don’t use a gmail for this account but nonetheless, I suppose using an authenticator app is also a good idea.

Okay.

You can easily turn off popup notifications via your personal user settings if you wish.
View attachment 513
You misunderstand me, it doesn't bother me at all, since I usually have 3 screens I'm doing a different task in each one of them and in the one I have VSB I get a notification so it's much easier to work, since I usually don't even have a thread watched only the ones that are wiki management like all purpose threads and my verses discussion....

Okay. That is good then.

Our system administrator has been working very hard to find an alternative solution to make our automated email system work until Google accepts our main one, and he thinks that he has figured out a workable solution.

However, there remains some work to set it up properly, and we need help from AKM or my friend who owns this forum to give him access to our forum's official email account, and they are usually very busy IRL.

since the server move happened i havent been able to mark notifications as read, an error message pops up saying the page cant be found when i try

I'm back!

The two-factor authentication message finally appeared in my Gmail.
That is great to hear. 🙂💖🙏

Our forum system administrator has worked hard to set up another email service that should hopefully work properly, so everybody feel free to thank him for his hard work. 🙂💖🙏

I have removed the two highlights from this discussion-thread, and will post a new one with this announcement very soon.

Edit:

Here it is:

Last edited:
since the server move happened i havent been able to mark notifications as read, an error message pops up saying the page cant be found when i try
Our forum system administrator is working on handling this problem. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back