• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Epic (Cool Dudes Only) Dungeons and Dragons Discussion Thread

Howdy

Do we have any profiles of high level Bards or Rogues? Like any canon characters that have that archetype/class.
Rogues, a good few, actually. Janma Gleamsilver, Hanno Minstrelsong, Hamadh the Unseen, the list goes on- it's not too uncommon a class to see.

Bards, less, as there are very few who are notable in the lore. We have a page for Edgin Darvis, apparently, and he is officially a bard. I had been going to make a page for Storm Silverhand at one point but never got around to it.

So I went through some of the non core stuff to see what could be added, of note Gar Shatterkeel became a level 13 caster, the blessing of Umberlee, the legendary weapon Wave from greyhawk, and some kind of official pseudo immortality.
I am not sure if Ygorl actually gets anything new but there’s stuff on the 5e stat block that isn’t on his current profile.
Acererak’s spirit briefly possesses an eye of fear and flame the adventure says Acererak was alive at the time and I am not sure whether that was part of the becoming a Lich or he could just do that, he also can grant a boon equivalent to a wish spell which he could probably cast previously but I haven’t saw that confirmed in tomb of horrors, return to the tomb of horrors, or tomb of annihilation. Also how does he not have preparation was that not a thing when his profile was made or something.

Wasn't aware of the Gar stuff, could do with a CRT if you felt up to the task. Looking at the wiki, he's not a major recurring character or anything, should be fairly easy. If not, we can get to it eventually.

Ygorl might. A few other characters also have 5e statblocks written by WotC published to DMs Guild in the book Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy, which also contains Ssendam, the other major Slaad lord. Whatever statblocks we see are merely physical manifestations of the entity, of course, but still, abilities are abilities.

An eye of fear and flame is a creature, not an object. Preparation wasn't as commonly used on profiles as it is nowadays, I agree he should get it. Basically any wizard has an argument for it but Acererak is perhaps the most prep-based wizard of all time.

I mean it seems in return to the tomb of horrors he could possess any undead in his temple but to be more specific it says using six diamond teeth, the jeweled eyes from the great statue in the Temple of Moloch, and a silver skull to covert a headless greater zombie into a eye of flame and fear

Last edited:
It's not a "tuned" rod- the planar forks mentioned in the Plane Shift spell are actually a huge variety of unique items. They are made of different materials and have a different chord when struck. Wave might be viable for a single one of these, depending on its material, but it would be unlikely without being specifically designed for that purpose.

Any good dnd module books(it could 2e,3.5e,4e as well) or guide books that you guys would recommend? I want to read more of then so i could get more inspiration to make my characters backstory.

Also, how would you guys powerscale your own dnd campaings? Do you guys like a more grounded adventure or make villains and PC with high tier power( High 6A and above )

Any good dnd module books(it could 2e,3.5e,4e as well) or guide books that you guys would recommend? I want to read more of then so i could get more inspiration to make my characters backstory.
Dunno what sort of character you're gunning for, and modules might not be the best fit, but I personally very much like A Paladin in Hell, City of the Spider Queen, anything related to Castle Amber, and of course the various Tomb of Annihilation modules.

Also, how would you guys powerscale your own dnd campaings? Do you guys like a more grounded adventure or make villains and PC with high tier power( High 6A and above )
for this... I don't really gun for either, ig. The PCs in the VSBW table I run vary from level 5 to 13 by campaign's end (which is 9-A to Low 7-B). I've never run anything for High 6-A, although my irl campaign played across 6.5 years made it to epic level stuff and ended with my character being level 42 (which would be High 6-A).

Grounded is easier to keep track of, high level stuff can be fun but I don't like it as a starting point, rather as a culmination of work.

Dunno what sort of character you're gunning for, and modules might not be the best fit, but I personally very much like A Paladin in Hell, City of the Spider Queen, anything related to Castle Amber, and of course the various Tomb of Annihilation modules.
Any book could help i just want to get more into the universe and read more about it(like reading any other fantasy book). I made explorer treasure hunter character that likes to lie about some of his adventures to impress people, want to read any books to get an ideia on how to make a show, lol.

for this... I don't really gun for either, ig. The PCs in the VSBW table I run vary from level 5 to 13 by campaign's end (which is 9-A to Low 7-B). I've never run anything for High 6-A, although my irl campaign played across 6.5 years made it to epic level stuff and ended with my character being level 42 (which would be High 6-A).

Grounded is easier to keep track of, high level stuff can be fun but I don't like it as a starting point, rather as a culmination of work.
I played one(and its one of tree long term campaings that i finished) that our PCs got into 4C at end of the adventure(level 19) when they face the BBEG who turned himself into a dragon that can shoot stars as it's breath weapon. One thing about high level us that you look out for a lot of stuff unless if you are a martial wich is more easy.

So first key is finished beside sourcing thoughts?
I will pay you 18 dollars to not have a different header for every spell level, that looks miserable

Regarding tiering, it may be inaccurate to judge them solely on CR given that several of them have specific levels at work here- Aerisi is stated to be 12th level, which takes priority and since she is considered a lower threat than the other prophets, you'd probably want to scale to that if you're splitting keys from Out of Node vs In the Node. I support the notion, btw.

Any book could help i just want to get more into the universe and read more about it(like reading any other fantasy book). I made explorer treasure hunter character that likes to lie about some of his adventures to impress people, want to read any books to get an ideia on how to make a show, lol.
Explorer treasure hunter, eh

It's a bit older but Dwellers of the Forbidden City immediately comes to mind

I will pay you 18 dollars to not have a different header for every spell level, that looks miserable

Regarding tiering, it may be inaccurate to judge them solely on CR given that several of them have specific levels at work here- Aerisi is stated to be 12th level, which takes priority and since she is considered a lower threat than the other prophets, you'd probably want to scale to that if you're splitting keys from Out of Node vs In the Node. I support the notion, btw.
I copied from the demogorgon but yeah to many spells for that, I will fix that in a bit. I see are you suggesting they scale to freezing sphere?

The infamous "At least High 8-C, likely 8-B, possibly 8-A" tier, yes- scaling to Freezing Sphere, Lower/Raise Water, and Disintegrate respectively.

So I made the suggested revisions and have a few questions.
1. What is the reason for the resistance to fate manipulation?
2. Do I use Gar 2’s CR (15) or level (13)?
3. What sources talk about Wave?
4. What sources talk about Drowned(A type of undead that is in ghosts of saltmarsh but seems to predate it)?
5. Should I acknowledge the possibility of him having the ability to prepare different spells?
6. What power is causing coral to rapidly grow?

1. Dunno, don't remember. Fine with removing it, if nothing else, if I find something that suggests it in 2027 when I revise the profiles, I can just re-add it. I didn't include scans of all my findings so I try not to get snagged on all of these things.

2. We use whichever is higher- if a CR 5 is stated to be an 8th level caster, we acknowledge that they are 8th level and thus scale to 8th levels. If their CR is above their level, then they have something placing them above that level and we use CR. So, CR 15. Both are Low 7-B, so the rating remains the same in either case.

3. As far as I can tell, Wave is a halberd that featured in Baldur's Gate 2 and had a strong connection to water elementals. No sources mention it based on the wiki, so... probably never used again.

4. I believe you're talking about these guys, good sources can be found at the bottom of most Forgotten Realms Wiki pages (hells be upon you if you want something non-FR related, ahem Iggwilv ahem).

5. We don't normally, no, unless we're given a list of abilities he would otherwise prepare (or in a Wizard's case, what other spells are in their book). What he has per the statblocks is considered standard loadout. If you wanted to say "possibly many others" and elaborate that out of character, he could have a vastly different array of powers, I don't see the harm in that and we've done it for pages before.

6. Organic Manipulation, maybe?

I was looking on the Dnd resistances page, and I'm pretty sure the damage transferal ability that's listed (life drain) isn't how damage transferal works on the wiki.
I think it fits this bit:

"The ability can also be used to have the target such as an object or person take damage for the user or have the target suffer the same damage they have suffered."

...in that the target takes damage which then heals the caster (or some other target). The effect is functionally, mechanically equal.

I think it fits this

"The ability can also be used to have the target such as an object or person take damage for the user or have the target suffer the same damage they have suffered."

...in that the target takes damage which then heals the caster (or some other target). The effect is functionally, mechanically equal.
Huh; looks like some 5e monsters have that as an ability but the spell you can learn doesn't have that effect.

As far as I can tell, Wave is a halberd that featured in Baldur's Gate 2 and had a strong connection to water elementals. No sources mention it based on the wiki, so... probably never used again.
Wave is one of the weapons from White Fume Mountain (Greyhawk), it is also in the 5e dungeon master’s guide, Saltmarsh seems to be a place from Greyhawk as well so I might have to just go with the 5e version at least this isn’t putting places from Greyhawk in the forgotten realms like one of the other extra life books.

Wave is one of the weapons from White Fume Mountain (Greyhawk), it is also in the 5e dungeon master’s guide, Saltmarsh seems to be a place from Greyhawk as well so I might have to just go with the 5e version at least this isn’t putting places from Greyhawk in the forgotten realms like one of the other extra life books.
White Plume Mountain, and you're right- I'd forgotten about it in favor of the more famous of the two.

I can probably gather the materials if you want, but these are the sources I can find listed easily:
  • White Plume Mountain (1e)
  • Evil Tide (2e)
  • Return to White Plume Mountain (2e)
  • Dragon Magazine issue 299
  • Arms and Equipment Guide (3e)
  • The Plane Below (4e)
think this about covers what you'd want to go over

Huh; looks like some 5e monsters have that as an ability but the spell you can learn doesn't have that effect.
Life Drain isn't a spell in 5e, the book in the resistances tab is from 2e.

At least High 8-C, likely 8-B, possibly 8-A.

Though there are a great number of characters in the game that surpass this. The game only has level 12, so level 12 comprises that tier and everything above it, such as
Orpheus, an adult red dragon, etc
which we know are higher than that actual level.

At least High 8-C, likely 8-B, possibly 8-A.

Though there are a great number of characters in the game that surpass this. The game only has level 12, so level 12 comprises that tier and everything above it, such as
Orpheus, an adult red dragon, etc
which we know are higher than that actual level.
Gale's ORB thing would also scale far higher than that to iirc. Though I don't think anyone else in the game scales to his self-destruction.

Gale's ORB thing would also scale far higher than that to iirc. Though I don't think anyone else in the game scales to his self-destruction.
Gale's stuff has strong evidence for being at least 2-A, yeah, admittedly as a one-time attack. Haven't successfully beaten the game yet, as we're taking our leisurely time through Act 3, so it could be a lot lower, too. I'll do the profiles after I beat the game, or at least help with them if someone else wants to take a whack.

I just found this match where Jon Snow went against a young red dragon; aren't the results invalid because social influencing is listed on the standard dnd resistances page?
Magically enhanced social influencing, yeah. It's still possible to just... talk to D&D characters. A lot of them are more discerning than others, but that match should still be fine.

(don'tcha hate it when you type up a post and forget to actually post it? shit's ****** up)

Whats the deal with Pathfinder? i'm surprised the wiki doesn't have pages for them.

His only supporter left the wiki years ago, and my knowledge about it is just superficial (if I have not already forgotten most of it). Even if my knowledge were more deep, I would have not bothered in revising it; its already pretty difficult to get Anima revised on its own.

We used to have pages, they were very bad. Most people who might work on Pathfinder could instead work on either D&D, or a game less similar to D&D. Demand is low, basically.

Back