• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Epic (Cool Dudes Only) Dungeons and Dragons Discussion Thread

The High 6-A does have higher D bs

Well that'd be due to the fact that it's not a blog. I don't want to publish it until it's at least a little fleshed out and right now, it is based almost solely on like three books out of the six-hundred books we have to work with.

You can find it here, at one point we were working on a huge group effort to get it done (even 5% of the books would be more than enough to publish it) but that never came to pass, people sorta just fell off into the darkness. Someday we'll try again, maybe.

CRTs or, dare I ask, matches?

So, I was considering making a joke about the Gelatinous Cube (Giant Ooze variant) which seems to be the lowest cr gargantuan creature in 5e due to a technicality making us need to upgrade cr 2 but I did math and it's KE is seems to be less the current 9-A feat used.
Anyway shouldn't the king of feathers technically have Breath attack and smoke manipulation

So, I was considering making a joke about the Gelatinous Cube (Giant Ooze variant) which seems to be the lowest cr gargantuan creature in 5e due to a technicality making us need to upgrade cr 2 but I did math and it's KE is seems to be less the current 9-A feat used.
Anyway shouldn't the king of feathers technically have Breath attack and smoke manipulation
I wouldn't really consider spitting our wasps a breath attack since it's a summoning spell.

Honestly, I saw all the scaling across the profiles and then thought this would be hilarious.

I have a question about the Primordial Hydras. Their profile notes that they don't have any notable weaknesses, does that mean that don't have the same problems the other Hydras do with their regen where fire and acid will negate it?

Her statblock doesn't mention it but I think it would be better to take it as yes, she maintains those weaknesses. Without explicit confirmation to the contrary, better to assume the previously established rules still apply.

I just Googled the Primordial Hydra's stats and not only is it stronger than the Stone Golem it's also smarter in 4e with a rating of 4 compared to the Stone Golem's 3.

Edit: They also have a 12 in Charisma and I find that hilarious personally since now all I can imagine is a Primordial Hydra having rizz, does that earn it Social Influencing to some degree? XD

Edit 2: The Primordial Hydra actually has a higher strength stat than an Adult Red Dragon, the one we consider Legendary Dragons for the scaling. Neat.

Last edited:

I just Googled the Primordial Hydra's stats and not only is it stronger than the Stone Golem it's also smarter in 4e with a rating of 4 compared to the Stone Golem's 3.

Edit: They also have a 12 in Charisma and I find that hilarious personally since now all I can imagine is a Primordial Hydra having rizz, does that earn it Social Influencing to some degree? XD

Edit 2: The Primordial Hydra actually has a higher strength stat than an Adult Red Dragon, the one we consider Legendary Dragons for the scaling. Neat.
12 isn't really notable enough for that and it doesn't have any ability that's like a persuasion check.

Also I think you might be misunderstanding how the scaling works. Strength score isn't what we hinge it on, it's Challenge Rating (or in 4e's case, level). Strength is only really relevant for LS, but that also typically includes size of the beast (Primordial Hydra is above both creatures in this department as well but it's worth mentioning).

12 isn't really notable enough for that and it doesn't have any ability that's like a persuasion check.
True, still think it's funny that it has above average charisma though.
Also I think you might be misunderstanding how the scaling works. Strength score isn't what we hinge it on, it's Challenge Rating (or in 4e's case, level). Strength is only really relevant for LS, but that also typically includes size of the beast (Primordial Hydra is above both creatures in this department as well but it's worth mentioning).
Oh I know, I was just saying that it's interesting that the Primordial Hydra upscales all the Legendary Dragons in raw strength going by their 4e stats.

Edit: Also the Primordial Hydra has a higher challenge rating than even an Elder Red Dragon so I'm just throwing that out there.

Actually the only Dragons I'm seeing that are outright higher in level than the Primordial Hydra are the Ancient Red, Blue, Black and Green Dragons.

For the record, I'm not sorry about the metric fuckton of Threads I made. Also should the Zombie Tyrannosaurus be added to the Tyrannosaurus Profile? It's an official piece of content on D&D Beyond.

Last edited:
To be clear, not all content on D&D Beyond (even the stuff posted by D&D Beyond) is official. They have multiple pieces of homebrew up that aren't officially endorsed by WotC but are endorsed by them (even though they are owned by WotC)- stuff like Matt Mercer's blood hunter.

Now, that is a real statblock (its source is the Tomb of Annihilation), but more likely it should be added to a Zombie page, not the T-Rex page.

Wait hold on, Chimeras have an intelligence stat of 3 yet are considered sentient enough to speak and understand speech? That means I should have buffed the Primordial Hydra to Below Average as well considering its got a 4 in intelligence, right?

A good amount of animals can understand some baseline amount of speech, I don't think we'd go above High Animalistic for it. If it helps, Chimeras actually had a 4 Intelligence in 3.5e. High Animalistic suits 'em fine.

A good amount of animals can understand some baseline amount of speech, I don't think we'd go above High Animalistic for it. If it helps, Chimeras actually had a 4 Intelligence in 3.5e. High Animalistic suits 'em fine.
It still feels weird when the Chimera is noted to be stupid while the Primordial Hydra isn't.

On another note, is Mythic Odysseys of Theros official D&D content and not Homebrew? I only ask because there's another Hydra variant within it that sounds interesting, the Ironscale Hydra.

Does that mean I have to create a zombie profile opposed to a sea zombie/drown/drowned one profile.
On another note, is Mythic Odysseys of Theros official D&D content and not Homebrew? I only ask because there's another Hydra variant within it that sounds interesting, the Ironscale Hydra.
I think that belongs to magic the gathering

Theros is a magic the gathering setting the ironscale hydra is from magic the gathering it belongs to a separate series

Does that mean I have to create a zombie profile opposed to a sea zombie/drown/drowned one profile.

I think that belongs to magic the gathering
No, the Sea Zombie seems to be distinct enough to be its own template, much like "zombie" is its own template (which here would apply to the T-Rex).

It still feels weird when the Chimera is noted to be stupid while the Primordial Hydra isn't.
The intelligence ratings tell no lie, friend- the flavor text can be written as it likes

It is official as a crossover book, as already mentioned. You can create a page for their Hydra, although you should make it a page of its own probably, simply because it is a creature hailing from another 'verse and thus may be ken to different rules than other Hydras.

No, the Sea Zombie seems to be distinct enough to be its own template, much like "zombie" is its own template (which here would apply to the T-Rex).
I guess that's fair.
The intelligence ratings tell no lie, friend- the flavor text can be written as it likes.
That's a rip.
It is official as a crossover book, as already mentioned. You can create a page for their Hydra, although you should make it a page of its own probably, simply because it is a creature hailing from another 'verse and thus may be ken to different rules than other Hydras.
That's awesome, I'll look into that more later along with the Snapping Hydra.

The Giant Mason Wasp's intelligence justification is really confusing. It says Animalistic yet the link shows the rating it has is literally just under average intelligence.

tbf 5 would probably be High Animalistic and the page is older than the current concrete ratings on Intelligence, but yeah, 7 is definitely just Below Average

The Dire Tortoise is both a higher CR rating as well as a higher strength stat than the regular Stone Golem, shouldn't it have Class M Lifting Strength too?

Can you give a source for that? I don't know of a Dire Tortoise in 5e and in 3.5e it is definitively below the Stone Golem in both CR and Strength (Dire Tortoise is CR 8 with 26 Strength compared to the golem's 11 with 29 Strength)

Can you give a source for that? I don't know of a Dire Tortoise in 5e and in 3.5e it is definitively below the Stone Golem in both CR and Strength (Dire Tortoise is CR 8 with 26 Strength compared to the golem's 11 with 29 Strength)
I keep forgetting about the conversion shenanigans and I only noticed it after I made the post, I just didn't feel like editing it.

I made a very silly Handbook-style page for one of my side quest bosses in my very dumb campaign I've been making.

LpuuoTi.jpeg

• it upsets me unreasonably that for the Uni Punch you wrote the d as lowercase in "3d8" and everywhere else you wrote it upper case
  • with a maximum +2 to hit this guy is going to get ******* rolled, effective CR with these stats is 2
  • with the scamper thing, what do you mean "5 to 10", is that like randomly determined

Back