• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EarthBound: True General Revisions

Yeah, Lightspeed is still a good rating, but there could be other details aside from simply being capable of dodging PK Flash at close range. Some characters such as Jeff also has a weapon called Light Gun, which could be another justification for lightspeed on top of the fact that it has similar accuracy to his other guns as well as all of those melee attacks and everything.

There's not much evidence to suggest PK Flash attacks at lightspeed. Especially considering that most enemies who know it are electric-themed, not light-themed, and that Lucas learns it inside the Lightning Tower. So if anything the attack would be more comparable to electricity or lightning. The Jeff thing could be valid evidence however and I'm sure if we did some digging around we might be able to find a light-themed enemy/boss in the games.

Well, the word Flash typically refers to light; the light from an electrical flashlight is lightspeed, and the flashes of lightning are lightspeed as well. I know lightning bolts aren't lightspeed, but the flashes are.

By that standard any attack in fiction with a light-related name would be considered lightspeed, but we usually need some further proof of it actually behaving like natural light beyond just the name.

Well, the flash itself doesn't damage enemies, but it can supposedly burn their eyes and/or cause headaches; which is generally how real light behaves. DarkAnine might have more to say, I recall he was the one who mentioned PK Flash being treated as real light.

PK Flash is practically treated like an epilepsy-causing attack, so that makes sense. I'm interested in what DarkAnine has to say.

Here's the evidence I have gathered of light-properties in Earthbound/Mother attacks so far:

- Certain enemies, like the Diamond Dog and Mani-Mani-Statue, are said to "emit a glorious light" when using PK Flash (altough other enemies who use the attack are more lightning-themed). Paula is also said to emit light in some of her prayer effects.

- The Night Pendant (Dark Pendant in Japanese) protects the wearer from PK Flash, implying the attack is a form of light.

- PK Flash causes crying and strangeness (confusion) which bright light can cause (though this doesn't really explain how it can also cause paralysis and instant death).

- Jeff has a weapon called "the Spectrum Beam" (in English and Japanese). This most likely refers to a spectrum of light. His Laser Beam/Gun might also use light.

All of those listings are pretty good; as for the paralysis and instant death parts, light doesn't usually cause those, but I will mention some things. An extremely bright light can cause great headaches, and if a headache gets too bad, the person could collapse; not necessarily the same thing as paralysis, but pretty close. Also, it could be theorised that party members never actually die even when their health drops to zero, they just lose consciousness since they can easily be revived; same thing for how allies getting KO'd works for a lot of RPG's actually. So the whole unconsciousness due to severe headache does make sense when placed that way.

And I agree, it isn't necessarily possible for light to kill someone instantly, but it is possible for light to give people brain tumors, but I really don't want to get into detail on that topic.

Are there any profiles that need to be updated?

Also, this might be better discussed in a separate thread but I think some Earthbound/Mother profiles are better off with fan-made art instead of the pictures we currently have. Earthbound/Mother doesn't tend to have much official art beyond a few small clay models or sprites that are too small for the main profiles.

Yeah, I also agree with the idea of some fan art, the clay models weird me out <-<.

Should Ness get something for creating his Magicant? While if its real or not is kinda speculatory, I think the creation of it did gave Ness something, since Ness is capable of keeping the Magicant bat even after the disappearing of this one. Also, remember that "Mind Ness" is capable of telling Ness where to go and what's a head, so maybe Clairvoyance could be added into his page? Also yes, I'm aware that the Kraken feat is kinda in the same tier as the Kids are now, but I wanted to know in how much degree actually, since the 7-C enemy they are scaled to is a pretty End Game characther, while the Kraken is a Mid-Boss, so people like Jeff, Poo and Paula could have a possibly higher rating, since they become way stronger after the Kraken battle, and needless to say, theres a stronger version of the Kraken in the cave where they fight the 7-C bomb, and it surpasses him in power by a lot.

It's a me
Where to go
Free your mind

Me and LoudCloud decided to ignore it since it happened shortly before he gained 3-A powers and that event isn't really applicable in a fight. For the stronger part at least Town level is more reasonable, no possibly higher.

I guess? even then, he still created a bat out of nothing, so maybe with prep time that could work?

At least Town seems fine for me.

Also Lucas's party could have resurrection via the Magypsys Mementos. And Jeff should have the abilities that his Items gave him, since his Items are part of his standar eqquipment, due to being a genius, capable of creating powerfull weapons with little to no metal and tools, wich could gave him Status Effect, Shields, Power Nullification, etc.

Resurrection via the Magypsys Mementos I dont think it would count as resurrection since Lucas and co dint really die, it just brings them back to full hp once theyve been incapacitated

Scarletmoon56 said:
Resurrection via the Magypsys MementosI dont think it would count as resurrection since Lucas and co dint really die, it just brings them back to full hp once theyve been incapacitated
So, resistance againts K.O? or what, since no one in the Mother universe really "dies" in the battles, they just become unconscious.

I mean the 5-B Giegue, since we tought there wasn't enough information to confirm his rating?

also, no idea, I always tought it was becuse he created a dimension were he fights the kids and at the same time, he was affecting the normal universe of the kids whitoud realising. I also think is becuse its stated that hes capable of destroying universes.

I still think the clay art looks way better than any of the fan art. Fan art tends to anime-ify Earthbound, which always irked me. Fan art should only be used if the official art isn't sufficient enough.

Ness, Ninten, Paula, Poo, and Jeff should all be fine as is as their current official profile pictures work just fine.

Boney's fanart picture should be fine as well.

Duster and Kumatora need to have their pictures changed, as there is official clay art that works just fine, and the currently used fanart deviates quite a bit from the Earthbound style.

Duster Clay
Kumatora Clay

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I still think the clay art looks way better than any of the fan art. Fan art tends to anime-ify Earthbound, which always irked me. Fan art should only be used if the currentt pictures aren't sufficient enough.
I fully agree...especially when the fanart doesn't even match the design of the characters. Teddy has it the worst.

I prefer the claymation. It brings about the personality of Earthbound more so then anime fanart.

Anyways, back to feats.

In Mother 3:

The Dragos can crush Pork Tanks and send dudes flying with ease. This should scale to the Mecha Drago, and thus scale to Flint. This was right after a tank had just fought Kumatora and Salsa, so this is a solid 7-C feat.

I also prefer the official clay figure images.

Also, because the characters in Mother 3 come from quite a long chain of powerscaling, perhaps we should leave a note in the pages, saying something along the lines of "The long chain of powerscaling ultimately points back to the characters in Earthbound who could tank explosions comparable to that of nukes from the Nuclear Reactor Robots."

Another thing I'd like to bring up, it is stated in the game's official guide that the various enemies, animals, and people are stated to be "possessed by the forces of Giygas". Could this mean that the fodder in the game could scale to the Starmen?

Screenshot 2017-09-29 at 8.26.21 AM

Giegue should scale to Maria, since he's meant to be more powerful than her. He doesn't have any evidence for being Planet level.

I was mainly refering to the Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings clay figures but I guess they're fine for the sake of consistency.

Being possesed by Giygas doesn't necessarily make all the enemies scale. They obviously have varying levels of strength and some are basically better versions of others. Not to mention how weaker enemies run away from your party in fear once you get strong enough, whereas stronger enemies don't.

I think Giegue was suppose to be downgrades to at least 7-A from scaling to Maria's magicant, which had an array of mountains in the backround when it was dissapearing.

I don't remember if i brought up this before, but I think that Giygas should have Spatial Manipulation (Created an entire dimension where he fought the chosen four), Attack Reflection (Don't know if this apply to Giygas or Guiege, since this is from EarthBound, but this is when he's still inside the Devil's Machine. In this form, absolutly every attack coming from both Ness and the others was reflected back at them.) One Hit Kill (One of his attacks is a variation of PK Flash, and his abble to OHKO the kids if it lands) and possibly Soul Manipulation/ Existance Erasure (Was going to destroy Ness and the others for good, wich means their bodies and their spirits. This could also be supported by the fact that he was goin to "Send everything into eternal darkness" wich may be refering to the fact that he was going to erase everything, or leave the world as a void of darkness.

His Low-2C form can also ignore shields, lower their power and destroy them, and cause status effects, like freeze them, paralyze them, make them feel strange, and the One Hit Kill I've menton earlier.

Back