• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball's Earth: A wide planet full of wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.
a new calc for the size of Dragon Ball's Earth was recently accepted, putting the Planet at a little over twice the size of our IRL Earth, now this could potentially affect several calcs involving all the other planets in the verse due to statements of Earth being considered a "Small Planet"(Not going to link it here since i want to save that discussion for another time)

As far as i know, our standards to accept such a thing comes from this thread or at least they are listed there, honestly should be officially put on a rule page or something, but whatever

Evidence

So going over them:

The planet does not sharply resemble Real Life Earth.
Well, i dunno by "sharply" similar ish vegetation at least, but a completely different geography, and very unique civilization and fauna, so maybe?

There are canonical measurements/references of measurement that don't require calculation stacking.
Yep, the entire basis of the calc is a verbatim stated distance between two places

There is little to no counterevidence or antifeats as to the planet's size.
as far as i know, there isn't

There are legitimate reasons to believe the planet may be larger beyond the calculation itself.

Examples of this can vary from confirmation from the author, suggestion or statements from characters in-verse, or features resembling that of later planets (such as rings around the planet).
"Yep, the entire basis of the calc is a verbatim stated distance between two places"......part 2

There are limited anti-feats regarding the planet's size, such as defying physics that would come with a planet of such size.
As far as i remember, yeah

The planet does not directly resemble our planet Earth, and thus, can be assumed to be of different size.
Don't know about directly, but it is very different in a lot of aspects, down to its very geography, so......i guess?

The planet calculation is consistent with any other shots or models of the planet in the verse.
Pretty sure this is the only map model ever used by the series in any media whatsoever......so yes i think

Conclusion​

The planet seems to fit the criteria for it being bigger than our IRL Earth via the calculation, so now discuss, be civil, grab a sunday and let's begin this

Agree:

Disagree:

Neutral:

Last edited:
Afaik you can't do a map calc like that, not because it's wrong but because of distortion that happens when you translate 3D to 2D. So going diagonal like that would give you a bloated number if it's a map based on the equator as an example.
That's kinda why you do circumference instead of diameter for that diagonal line. Also, there is a precedent for accepting these sorts of calcs, so I don't necessarily see the issue

problem then surely there is a way to correct said distortion, right
You just go left to right along the equator rather than diagonal.
That's kinda why you do circumference instead of diameter for that diagonal line. Also, there is a precedent for accepting these sorts of calcs, so I don't necessarily see the issue
The top and the bottom of the map is basically smudged from what I understand of most map projections, so they look larger than they are. The most accurate visual is at the equator. So it would be drawing a horizontal line rather than a diagonal.

The only issue I have with the calc other than that is going from the conner of the base rather than the center since its just an artistic representation of the location rather than a base that's like 50 kilometers in diameter.

I will stay neutral for now since there might be issues with the scaling of it's size that Qawsed pointed out, would this also affect the size of the moon or no?

The top and the bottom of the map is basically smudged from what I understand of most map projections, so they look larger than they are. The most accurate visual is at the equator. So it would be drawing a horizontal line rather than a diagonal.

The only issue I have with the calc other than that is going from the conner of the base rather than the center since its just an artistic representation of the location rather than a base that's like 50 kilometers in diameter.
I'm okay with making these edits if necessary (like, if enough CGMs and staff overall agree), but personally I don't exactly agree with these two things (namely the first one, the second one idrc as much). My main reasons are:

I see. Again, I don't mind adjusting this to use a horizontal line if deemed necessary (though I wonder if Kakarot's map is worth considering).

I see. Again, I don't mind adjusting this to use a horizontal line if deemed necessary (though I wonder if Kakarot's map is worth considering).
maybe use that map instead as it shows more of the planet? as of this thread we can use Kakarot information if it doesn't contradict the main canon, and in this case, i think that it supports it

though I wonder if Kakarot's map is worth considering
It has recently been accepted that some information from Kakarot is canonical, but I don't know if this extends to the map in the sense of having the correct proportions, that curvature and blah blah I don't know.

The evidence is extremely lackluster, full of a bunch of "I guess"es.

For the one you linked (One Piece planet), there was a gargantuan amount of evidence showing that the planet was different. Climate, geography, ridiculous sizes, etc.

For this, the planet resembles earth although the islands are different. There's several references to the real world (mainly in OG Dragon Ball) and not much other than futuristic tech and dinos, which makes it seem like a futuristic earth.

On top of that, the statements of the sizes in the planet contradict each other.
  1. Red Ribbon Army's HQ to Korin's Tower is 2,300 km
  2. Satan City to Gohan's house is 1,000 km (said again here)
  3. The Kame House to Goku's landing site is > 10,000 km
  4. The Android Landing Spot is 9 km from South City/South Capital
But when you look at them here, you see that distance 2 is larger than distance 1 (basically 1,000 km > 2,300 km), distance 4 is around the same size as distance 1, and distance 3 isn't 10x that of distance 2 (so less than 10km).

I'm not too sure of trying to calculate the size of the planet with some of these distances unless there's a group of the distances that are accepted and some that are declined.

Anyways, not too sure what to make of the contradictory distances. Like, the 10,000 km one is at least fine since it's vaguely above that value, so it could be anything really. However, that doesn't really say anything about the 9 km and 1,000 km ones. Personally, I'd say that the 1000, 2300, and 10000 km statements when used with the map make it fairly clear that DB's Earth is bigger than our own. That being said, I can't deny the self-contradictory nature of these statements.

New distance, new map

LpoAMiG.png

I think the 9 km is scrappable

Yeah, maps are wacky as hell and they should never be used for actual geographical scaling.

I'm neutral but leaning towards this being a rather iffy method for calculating the planet size.

There are legitimate reasons to believe the planet may be larger beyond the calculation itself.

There isn't.

The entire Solar System of Dragon Ball is based off our IRL one, so why wouldn't Earth be the same? The only difference one could point out between IRL Earth and DB Earth is culture, and how the land is shaped, which is entirely irrelevant to planet size. So there is no actual difference here.

The fact the moon is said to be as far as our IRL moon also shows the intention of being similar to our Earth as well. This is lackluster and honestly you guys don't have anything other than the calc itself, which isn't evidence by itself.
I'd also like to point out that the basis for the calc also ISN'T evidence for a larger planet, as distances and sizes can be inaccurately portrayed, as @KingTempest exemplified earlier.

Therefore, there is absolutely ZERO EVIDENCE for a larger Earth and SEVERAL IMPLICATIONS that it's the same as our Earth. Furthermore, unlike One Piece, there is no story reason to make Earth that big, why would Toriyama do this? There are a collection of guides that discuss the DB Earth and none of them dive into detail about it's size, something that would be quite relevant if that was the intention.

Also disagree for reasons above. One extra thing that's only relevant in this specific situation if we're talking about the Moon's distance is that the Moon would orbit the Earth from further away if the latter was more massive, assuming it takes the same amount of time to orbit around it

Last edited:
“It’s the only portion of the DB world that even remotely resembles reality, being based off of the actual universe (or at least the universe as seen in countless sci-fi space operas like Star Wars). As such it consists of countless planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.”

This hardly works as an actual counterpoint given that the above is the statement in question. This is just referring to the universe at large, not specifically Earth, and the universe has its own differences given how it’s split into four quadrants.

Anyways, I don’t really care about the thread anymore, since the direction it’s going seems quite obvious and this may as well be a foregone conclusion. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back