• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly is finally Canon!

Yeah.

But I don't like that kind of flat characters anyway. I hope Toriyama do a decent work on him.

Calaca Vs said:
Yeah.

But I don't like that kind of flat characters anyway. I hope Toriyama do a decent work on him.
I hope so to, I doubt they will keep him the exact same.

Personally I liked the character when I was twelve years old. Later he became an unbearable stupid and ugly bad writing result to me.

Hey, don't we already have a discussion thread for just this kind of stuff?

Anyway, DBS Broly (or canon Broly) will most likely be different than the DBZ Broly (or non canon Broly). He already has a tail and Toriyama seems to have made some changes to the character. I believe it's a totally different character who has the same name and body as the Broly we know.

It's not a totally different character. Akira says something along the lines of "I'm adding a new take on the character, but you'll still be able to identify him as Broly." So I'm thinking he's removing the bad writing parts of his backstory but stuff like his personality might stay the same.

Asuka the Demonic Empress said:
Its just a matter of Goku saying he remembers Broly to have 4A Buu Saga characcters.
Even if he says he remembers him, that doesn't mean events played out the same. If he talks about the reason fir fighting Broly being the same, then it'd probably be 4A. But it all depends on what gets retconned.

I heard this may be a reboot which makes more sense instead of canon movies because Trunks came back in two movies and one in the Bojack movie where his sword was still intact and that one came after the first Broly movie.

You know it kinda makes sense if you think about it, if U6 has Kale then U7 definitely will have her counterpart Broly "except many times stronger". Although this makes Kale pointless from a narrative standpoint

I mean, Kale being Broly-esk was never a narrative point. Narrative-wise Kale was just this timid Saiyan who had this extremely powerful form. Matter of fact, this could actually explain what her transformation was.

> Saiyan who had this extremely powerful form

Which is exactly what Broly is, except she has boobs "and most likely a lesbian lol". Anyway I choose the wrong word there, I mean Kale's character as a whole seems pointless now

IIRC they said they only created Kale to feed upon Broly's popularity right? now that they brought back the real deal Kale is eve more Meh to me tbh "not that I liked her in the first place" and yeah, they could use Kale to explain Broly "not that Kale's power itself was ever explained".

ZERO7772 said:
> Saiyan who had this extremely powerful form
Which is exactly what Broly is, except she has boobs "and most likely a lesbian lol". Anyway I choose the wrong word there, I mean Kale's character as a whole seems pointless now

IIRC they said they only created Kale to feed upon Broly's popularity right? now that they brought back the real deal Kale is eve more Meh to me tbh "not that I liked her in the first place" and yeah, they could use Kale to explain Broly "not that Kale's power itself was ever explained".
Exactly how I feel for Kale right now.

"Which is exactly what Broly is, except she has boobs "and most likely a lesbian lol"

Kale's character was never meant to mimic Broly's though. She was a homage, but there is a stark difference in their personalities. Kale is more than a female Broly. Kale is Kale, her own character (Who has more character than the actual Broly might I add). Whether you like her or not, or whether you see her as a bad character or not is subjective. This new canon Broly doesn't at all detach from the fact that Kale was made to feed off of Broly's popularity in Super. Kale succeeded in her job when it came to sales (Kefla even moreso)

"not that I liked her in the first place"

Then of course she would be pointless to you as you already don't like her. Nothing changes.

"not that Kale's power itself was ever explained"

I never said that. I said that they could use this cano Broly to explain what happened with Kale as she never got the explanation during Super.

Kale is a female Broly and was created only to feed upon Broly's popularity, she has nearly the exact same persona naturally "timid and very shy" and her SSJ Berserk is copy-past of Broly's LSSJ form, whatever they add some treat to her character later on doesn't change the fact she was mainly created as fan-service for Broly's fans

> or whether you see her as a bad character or not is subjective.

Which is what I said. I am only speaking my opinion here.

>Then of course she would be pointless to you as you already don't like her. Nothing changes.

This is fact tho. Kale was made because of Broly. I am not telling you to erase her now and surely, she has her own fans but I am just wondering why did they even bother with Kale if they gonna bring in Broly ? maybe they didn't think of bringing back at the time

>I never said that. I said that they could use this canon Broly to explain what happened with Kale as she never got the explanation during Super.

The anime already expect you to know Kale's transformation from Broly's movie hence why not even the show bothered to explain it

Broly in the original movies has no personality whatsoever. Kale is a homage but is frankly much better written. And has an actual motivation beyond "Kill, kill, kill". Also gets real character development by overcoming her rage.

I am however excited that this is Toriyama rebooting the character. He might have a personality now.

He has personality go re-watch the original film lol

The games make him only scream KAKAROT all the time but he does have on in the original movie at least

Never said Broly was a better character than Kale surely she has more depths and yeah Toriyama may make him better

"Kale is a female Broly and was created only to feed upon Broly's popularity, she has nearly the exact same persona naturally "timid and very shy" and her SSJ Berkser is copy-past of her Broly's LSSJ form, whatever they add some treat to her character doesn't change the face she was mainly created as fan-service for Broly's"

The timid and shy Broly was not even his real personality. Broly was only quiet like her was due to that thing his father used to control his anger. Her personalities and motivations are in fact different. She's not just "KAKAROT!!!". She actually has the motivation to be close to Caulifla and want to prove herself to be useful in front of her. Not to mention Kale actually had development and a character other than "Kill Kakarot". She was not some overly muscled grown man with a one word vocabulary who is pissed at another grown man because he cried when he was a baby.

"Which is what I said I am speaking my opinion about here"

Never said you couldn't have one. Despite me vehemently disagreeing.

"This is fact tho. Kale was made because of Broly, I am not telling you to erase her now and surely she has her own fans but I am just wondering why did they even bother with Kale if they gonna bring in Broly ? maybe they didn't think of bringing back at the time"

I never argued that, matter of fact I confirmed that multiple times in my posts. This was directly stated in an interview. Because, Broly wasn't planned at that time. And the question is "why not make Kale?" Nothing says that there can't be two Broly homages. Toei is not limited by that. Especially when Kale is her own character, and is only a female Broly by Berserk and Attack appearances. The personality is what makes her a standalone character. Her appearance makes her a homage.

"The anime already expect you to know Kale's transformation from Broly's movie hence why not even the show bothered to explain it"

So you just assume they can't explain the form because it's an homage. They may not, but for all you know they could. It is highly likely assuming the transformation is the exact same.

Kale was the closest thing to Broly in canon form viewing from a Broly fan standpoint. I am just now happy to see how this canon Broly will be live. It is not only going to pay homage to the OG Broly but have a new spin with Akira Toriyama flavor.

I feel like this Broly will be the best of both worlds.

Gifs-3-hannah-montana-27925546-500-180

I highly doubt the Z movies will be made canon. This is probably going to be Broly's first canonical appearance and that they never encountered him at this point. Broly is probably going to be rewritten as the original Super Saiyan God who has been revived or something similar to that.

As for the Original Broly character, he's the most badass design Dragon Ball villain but the least personality and motivation IMO.

Base Broly initially shows [when Paragus tries to place the device and at the start of the movie] a somewhat calm and chill personality, however due to Goku not letting him sleep [a vital thing for a baby] along with being stabbed and thrown into the trash with his father by King Vegeta and then withnessing the destruction of the planet and forced to wander in space, all developed his crazy rage fits and without it he would have a been an overall better fighter. This new take on the character will be interesting due to his potential if he was not mentally damaged, lastly i obliviosly don't expect mentions from other timelines, only around the canon super one.

Mr. Common Sense said:
Kale was the closest thing to Broly in canon form viewing from a Broly fan standpoint. I am just now happy to see how this canon Broly will be live. It is not only going to pay homage to the OG Broly but have a new spin with Akira Toriyama flavor.
I feel like this Broly will be the best of both worlds.

Gifs-3-hannah-montana-27925546-500-180
What "good" thing will he have from past Broly?

I just hope they don't bring him back to kill him. Hopefully Beerus trains with Broly personally or something.

Back