• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

Is it ever specifically shown in the main continuity that Saiyans can't breathe in space?

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Edit: Also Frieza straight up killing Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta via planet busting in RoF lol

I don't know about you personally, but instances like Goku being willing to let Frieza go during Revival of F is something he shouldn't have done or considered in the first place IMO.

Yes, Goku's been known to spare a number of his enemies which later became his friends or his allies, but he spared Frieza twice on Namek and both in instances the guy tried to kill Goku and was unwilling to turn a new leaf. That's why Goku blasted him in the end and, with that look he gave at the end of the fight, indicates that he perhaps learned that there are individuals who are incapable of and undeserving of redemption like Frieza and the fact he took out Mecha Frieza in Future Trunks' timeline would indicate that he didn't offer mercy against him for the third times . So, when he fights a much stronger Frieza and was going to let him go when Frieza was weaker and beat, I find that to be irritating because he should better then that and understand that Frieza is too dangerous to let live...especially now that he's learned Frieza can surpass years decades worth of training in months, and that the potential possibility of Frieza just returning much stronger and killing everyone is enough reason for anyone to not let him live.

So let me make this a little clear: I'm not advocating for Goku to kill any and all enemies he faces now and in the future, I'm simply saying that Super Goku should be capable at this point of discerning who can be redeemed and who is irredeemable and act accordingly with that information. It's the same vein as why, in my opinion, Goku should've taken out Moro when he had the upper hand in MUI because he was far too dangerous and unrepenting to keep alive
Counter point: RoF is f*king ass and I ignore it entirely

Is it ever specifically shown in the main continuity that Saiyans can't breathe in space?
^What Maverick said above. Plus during the Frieza fight on Namek, after Frieza tried blowing up the planet, it was a decently sized tense situation for Goku because Frieza stated that he can breathe in space unlike Goku. So there's a few moments in the main continuity where it's a plot point that Saiyans can breathe in space even though that little factoid can sometimes be ignored or it's not as exaggerated in other instances

The fact that Saiyans are completely fine in the exosphere but make their way to death's doorstep if they take one step outside is goofy
I still think that this story about the Saiyans not surviving in the vacuum of space was retold by Frieza's race in order to colonize the Saiyans so they wouldn't run away (Frieza enslaving an entire race for labor and doing his work).

The choice to make Super Saiyans unable to breathe in space is absolutely stupid

Never mind the god damn Super Saiyan God being unable to breathe in space
Does it actually make sense? I mean, they are still living organisms.

We can't really say that it doesn't make sense considering real life.

Like, them surviving in space would only mean having fights in space. Of course, I would like that, but I don't know if actually saying that "it doesn't make sense" makes sense.

But on the issue of SSJG going forward, I think an excuse like "gods don't need to breathe" could be a good excuse.

It's kind of stupid to think that a god needs oxygen.

The fact that Saiyans are completely fine in the exosphere but make their way to death's doorstep if they take one step outside is goofy
In the layer where Beerus and Goku fought, there is still oxygen. Although it's extremely little, so I think it makes some sense.

But I don't remember much about the battle of gods arc in the anime.

Does it actually make sense? I mean, they are still living organisms.

We can't really say that it doesn't make sense considering real life.

Like, them surviving in space would only mean having fights in space. Of course, I would like that, but I don't know if actually saying that "it doesn't make sense" makes sense.

But on the issue of SSJG going forward, I think an excuse like "gods don't need to breathe" could be a good excuse.

It's kind of stupid to think that a god needs oxygen.
Saiyans being able to breathe in space by undergoing a transformation into an ascended state makes a lot of damn sense. And from a narrative perspective, stamina drain adds a time limit
In the layer where Beerus and Goku fought, there is still oxygen. Although it's extremely little, so I think it makes some sense.
Molecules in the exosphere effectively don't collide. There is practically no air up there to the point that it can be considered part of outer space

Edit: Also Frieza straight up killing Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta via planet busting in RoF lol
I can't forgive this tidbit when it comes to RoF. I mean not only was it suppose to be a major sell on the movie where Vegeta was going to be the main character that defeated Frieza, and he wasn't which rightfully got people annoyed, but then the movie kills him off in one of the dumbest ways imaginable for such a beloved and badass character.

You know I have my issues with the Moro and Granolah Arcs, but I think RoF is hands down one of the worst arcs in Super and possibly even Dragon Ball as a whole.

Now that I think about it, Goku not killing Frieza in RoF is outright character assassination

The guy proved multiple times there's nothing redeeming about him, nor is there any benefit to sparing him

Vote here

Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug

Is it canon to Dragon Ball Toei?
In my opinion: Not really. The Daizenshuu 6, according to the article you linked anyway, states that Lord Slug takes place after Goku's arrival on Namek but before his fight with Frieza and subsequently before he became a Super Saiyan. So I don't think it fits with the Toei timeline since, you know, Toei Goku goes Super Saiyan while Lord Slug Goku doesn't and instead uses Kaioken x100.

So I think this is a case where this movie in particular isn't canon to the Toei timeline and is in its own continuity

damn, goku beat saitamas ass, the arguments in that thread were crazy lol
I feel bad for you. You probably lost your sanity this week. Naruto vs goku was a nightmare. People were making so many dumb arguments, including Seth and especially Noodles. And now this :pPP

Converting Ki into oxygen is such a easy way to get rid of that sh*t. Don't know why it isn't introduced yet
Not gonna lie though, I personally find it hilarious that goku can't breathe in space. I mean, how often do you see tier 1s and 2s be a mortal who can't breathe in space?

Last edited:
Back