• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball: Finite Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introduction​

Recently on this wiki, the Dragon Ball franchise has run over several revisions until it was accepted that its universes (like the main one, the Universe 7) are spatially infinite in size (a.k.a High 3-A). This being something applied to the statistics of certain characters, as we can see in Toei Broly's profile page:

Needless to say that, by looking at the title of this Content Revision Thread, not only I disagree with the above idea, but I also find the arguments pretty much weak and some of them even objectively incorrect. In this thread I'll cover them in detail and explain why they are wrong. Take a note that if there's an argument about the universe being infinite that is missing on this thread, people can send it here so we can discuss about it. Of course, that missing argument would only be relevant if people directly rebut the "Inconsistencies" section on this same thread. Without further ado, let's begin.

Chozenshu 4 & Daizenshuu 7​

To begin with, we have two quotes from Chozenshu 4 and Daizenshuu 7 respectively. Both were translated here with those sentences:

"This World" shows an endless expanse, you will find that the DB world holds a worldview with a tremendous scale beyond human understanding.

and:

An endless space that envelops all celestial bodies that exist in this world.

What is wrong in using both to prove that the universe is infinite is the fact that people misinterpret the adjective used in both sentences, which is Hateshinai (果てしない). In both Chozenshu 4 and Daizenshuu 7, this adjective appears:

Chozenshu 4:
この世はどこまでも果てしない広がりを見せ、DB世界は人知を超えた途方もないスケールを持つ世界観であることがわかるだろう。

"This World" shows an endless expanse, you will find that the DB world holds a worldview with a tremendous scale beyond human understanding.

Daizenshuu 7:

Please note that in Daizenshuu 7's scan, the kanji is missing and it's substituted with , forming 果てし無く, which means "eternally; interminably".

Anyway, what's important with those informations is that Hateshinai is a figurative term of japanese to talk about an infinite element. To explain this thesis, I will use three reliable dictionaries that demonstrates how the term applies within a sentence:

Weblio

According to the Weblio dictionary, Hateshinai is an state of seemingly endless continuity (like the phrase "the endless expanse of the sea"). The word is used figuratively; like "a tediously long conversation", "continuing forever or indefinitely" and "seemingly endless in amount or number or degree or especially range".

Collins

According to the Collins dictionary, Hateshinai is used to describe figuratively something "eternal" or "interminable". For example: "an interminable meeting".

Linguee

The Linguee dictionary shows phrases commonly associated with that word, and it is very clear that none of them are being used similarly to as an literal adjective to describe something infinite in size (at least with standard measures of space). They are all figuratively endless/infinite.

Conclusion​

As such, those two scans from Chozenshu and Daizenshuu don't prove the universe is literally infinite in size; in fact, it doesn't even assert its true size in the first place, as the descriptions are used figuratively to describe it. We can discard them right off the bat.

Daizenshuu 4 (#1 & #2)​

The next quotes are those two from Daizenshuu 4:

and:

There's not much to refute here, honestly. The word used in the scans is Hirogaru (広がる), which means "to spread (out); to extend; to stretch; to reach to; to get around; to fill (e.g. a space)". What this means is that by converting the word from Japanese to English, we have a gerund phrase; which in turn means that the two scans are not saying that the universe is literally infinite in size, but it's expanding infinitely (i.e without an end). Something that is expanding is something that is constantly growing, not something that is already big (in this case, infinite). Saying it is literally infinite would be just an textual misinterpretation of what the wording is referring to.

Dainzeshuu 4 (#3)​

Continuing, we have this one quote from the Universe Chapter Cover Art of Daizenshuu 4, which says:

I'll be straightforward here: This is just an poetic description of the universe. The Daizenshuu 4 translator himself says this, therefore it's not literal:

Also, it's worth noting that the canocity of said cover art is heavily dubious, as this page section of Daizenshuu 4 was considered so irrelevant that it wasn't even included in Chozenshu, which is the remake of Daizenshuu and, as people may know, it's reviewed by Akira Toriyama himself.

Dragon Ball GT Episode 2​

Another argument about the universe being infinite in size is the narration at the ending of DBGT episode 2, which mentions "boundless galaxies". Before anything, this "scan" (video) also puts (in this case, speaks) the Hateshinai word in its sentence, therefore it is completely invalid a priori. However, I would like to demonstrate to the people how ridiculous is using that as an argument, even ignoring the context of the word:

Disregarding the above mentioned (which already refutes it), this is obviously a hyperbole. Firstly, we need to know that a hyperbole is an exaggeration of expression that, to be identified, needs to be in explicit sentences as to its intentions. What makes the statement explicit as being a hyperbole is not directly the fact that it mentions boundless galaxies, but the fact that it mentions this:

Goku, Trunks and Pan-- is the spaceship heading off to boundless galaxies--

If we take literally that there are infinite/boundless galaxies, then we should also take literally that Bulma's spaceship can get through an infinite number of galaxies, which is simply wrong basing off the entire premisse of the next episode (Episode 3):

We can clearly see that the spaceship only passes by a star cluster, and never gets out of an single galaxy.

A few moments later, the spaceship crashes on a near planet, which is were the plot of episode 3 passes on.

Being entirely honest, is actually doubtful for me that the people who uses that argument has actually watched GT. Besides, let's move on:

Herms' Translation​

The last one which I would like to cover is Herms' translation from Chozenshu:

Surprisingly, this citation is valid for arguing about an infinite-sized universe, as it's the only citation which does not use Hateshinai and it's present in both Chozenshu and Daizenshuu. It is the only valid citation in the entire guide.

However, if it was this easy, I wouldn't be making this thread, would I? The reason why this cannot be used is not because the above reasons, but rather because it's actively contradictory with Dragon Ball Super, which is what we'll se below. As such, this is either an hyperbole or a retconned information that doesn't fit in the actual writting of the verse.

Inconsistencies​

Cosmology Side​

The universe is explicitly noted to have an edge and an center, meaning it's obviously not infinite:

The only "rebuttal" people use for this claim is that Bulma is talking about only the observable universe, and not the supposed space that exists beyond it. This is impossible, as one cannot be at the "edge of a observable universe"; the observer has to be in the middle as the light comes from all directions:

Quoting:

Now, what about the center of the universe? Well, the observable universe has a center, us. We are at the center of the observable universe because the observable universe is just the region of space visible from Earth. And kind of like how the view from a very tall tower is a circle centered on the tower, the piece of space we can see from here is naturally centered here.

Quoting:

The "observable universe" is usually defined to be those physical things (such as galaxies) whose worldlines intersect the past light cone of whichever observer is concerned. By this definition each observer is located at the centre of what the "observable universe" is for them. Observers located sufficiently far apart will have different past light cones and therefore they find different parts of the entire cosmos to be observable.

In fact, the context of the chapter points nothing about an "observable universe", but rather the full structure of it, the terminology of Universe 6/7:

Also, the Official Toei Website in its Episode Summary Section says this:

第7宇宙にある超ドラゴンボールを探す為に超ドラゴンレーダーを完成させたブルマは、探すには宇宙の中心に向かわなくてはならない。そう考えてジャコを強引に呼び出したが、とんでもなく広い宇宙の中心なんかに行ける訳がないと呆れるジャコ。しかしブルマにビビらされたジャコは、何でも知っているズノー様という人物に聞いてみると良いと代案を持ちかける。早速、ズノー様の星に向かうブルマとジャコ。だが、ズノー様との面会は、予約制で、順番が回ってくるのは7年後だという!果たして、二人の面会は叶うのか!?

Bulma, who has completed the Super Dragon Radar to search for the Super Dragon Balls in Universe 7, must head to the center of the universe to find them. Thinking so, he forcibly summons Jaco, but Jaco is amazed that there is no way he can go to the center of the vast universe. However, Jaco, who is terrified by Bulma, offers an alternative, saying that he should ask Mr. Zuno, who knows everything. Bulma and Jaco immediately head for Zuno's star. However, meeting with Mr. Zuno is by appointment only, and it is said that it will be seven years before the turn comes around! Will the meeting between the two be successful!?

Meaning that claiming it is the "observable universe" is a flawed logic contradicted by the own authors' intention.

Rantings Side​

As people may know, the premisse of the Dragon Ball franchise is that characters can get stronger by finite and limited attributes such as training, transformations' multipliers, etc. Looking at the Toei side of this, the notion of the characters having an High 3-A ranting absurdly skips through tiering levels, as from a moment to another one can skip a 4-B level of power to straight up infinite levels of power by having power ups that are clearly not an infinite attribute booster. For example, in Toei's Goku page it is said this:

At least 4-B, higher as a Super Saiyan 1 and 2, High 3-A as a Super Saiyan 3

That something to at least rethink of, since SS3 is a finite multiplier of SS2 and still is classified as infinitely more powerful. People may consider that some fictions can skip several tiers through certain power ups, which is true, but in this specific case it doesn't make any sense as the character is getting a "infinitely more powerful" form which he got by finite measures (training). Applying this logic retroactively would make much more characters get High 3-A ranting despite clearly don't having it, basing on vague reasons like "this character take a hit from a High 3-A character, therefore he should be High 3-A despite being vastly inferior to said character". A notory downfall path to actual power scaling.

Conclusions​

The Dragon Ball Universe is potrayed to as having finite size by both statements and author's intentions. Nearly all the scans of it having an infinite size are either out of context or misinterpretated. High 3-A rantings should vanish because of that. And, obviously, there's 0 room for debate about the characters having Infinite Speed for supposedly crossing an infinite universe.

I’m not gonna argue about most of these, but I think the notion of the universe having an edge preventing it from being infinite is kind of flawed. By this logic, every feat involving traveling an infinite distance is non-viable because they reached the end of infinite space, despite said space being infinite. I think some creative liberties need to be taken with stuff like this.

damn, this high 3-a db shit be serious

I'm neutral, but I don't care which way this thread goes, whether it stays or gets yeeted is no particular interest of mine

I’m not gonna argue about most of these, but I think the notion of the universe having an edge preventing it from being infinite is kind of flawed. By this logic, every feat involving traveling an infinite distance is non-viable because they reached the end of infinite space, despite said space being infinite. I think some creative liberties need to be taken with stuff like this.
When a character travels an infinite distance in a finite amount of time (Infinite Speed), his speed is overlaping the infinite space which he crossed, as the speed (Infinite) divided by the distance (Infinite) would be simply an undefined value. This, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that infinity standardly can't have an edge.

You can have finite multipliers to reach a higher level of infinity......, We do this all the time with character "X" being stronger than character "Y" in the 2-A rating, despite both being the same tier.
A higher baseline for 2-A is not a "higher level of infinity", as it still falls under countable infinity. Your argument is like "a High 3-A being can stomp another High 3-A being", which I don't disagree.

it having a fixed center would prob prevent it from being infinite, since if it were infinite, any given area could be its center.

Have you? That statement was about their journey as a whole which literally did extend across galaxies since the DBs were stated to be scattered in every quadrant across all of space. Planet Imegga itself from ep. 3 would be in a different galaxies quadrant from the North Galaxy since they say they're gonna head to the North next from it.

Have you? That statement was about their journey as a whole which literally did extend across galaxies since the DBs were stated to be scattered in every quadrant across all of space. Planet Imegga itself from ep. 3 would be in a different galaxies quadrant from the North Galaxy since they say they're gonna head to the North next from it.
And yet, they are not passing through "boundless/infinite" galaxies, just from clusters to clusters. I think you misinterpreted what I was arguing there.

One real question, if the universe is infinite how does the Universe 7 vs Universe 6 Tournament arc work, since it takes place on a planet BETWEEN the universes.

I don't see how it is possible for a planet to exist between infinite universes, unless I don't know, they are spatially connected.

One real question, if the universe is infinite how does the Universe 7 vs Universe 6 Tournament arc work, since it takes place on a planet BETWEEN the universes.

I don't see how it is possible for a planet to exist between infinite universes, unless I don't know, they are spatially connected.
IIRC, the planet was not exactly between the universes, but just in the neutral space between them. Of course, that heavily contradicts the notion of the universes being infinite.

And yet, they are not passing through "boundless/infinite" galaxies, just from clusters to clusters. I think you misinterpreted what I was arguing there.
"Never gets out of a single galaxy" I'm just pointing out obvious misinformation in the OP. The planet in episode 3 in question is literally in a different quadrant itself. And they don't have to be passing through literally galaxy for that statement to be true. Saying someone's heading out to sea or the galaxy or outer space doesn't mean they have to go every single place and cover every square inch there for that to be said as you're implying.

It's in the neutral space where universes are essentially just giant bubbles. (This isn't really an anti feat)

Because that place is a neutral space in between the boundaries of universes. It's shown in Super that the universes are disconnected spatially (we also straight up consider each bubble different space-times).

"Never gets out of a single galaxy" I'm just pointing out obvious misinformation in the OP. The planet in episode 3 in question is literally in a different quadrant itself. And they don't have to be passing through literally galaxy for that statement to be true. Saying someone's heading out to the or the galaxy or outer space doesn't mean they have to go every single place and cover every square inch there for that to be said as you're implying.
In the specific part of the video, they really don't get out of a single galaxy within that quadrant. That's what I'm saying.

I strongly disagree with this, the director of DBZ stated that it is quoted that the Universe is infinite, and according to him the guide is right in saying that it is infinite in size.

Where it is quoted:

In addition to sustaining with his words that the Universe is infinite in size not only once, but also twice.

Source where it was mentioned:

I strongly disagree with this, the director of DBZ stated that it is quoted that the Universe is infinite, and according to him the guide is right in saying that it is infinite in size.

Where it is quoted:

In addition to sustaining with his words that the Universe is infinite in size not only once, but also twice.

Source where it was mentioned:

Dude, stop using Koyama statements he himself has literally stated time and time again that he is unreliable.

Because that place is a neutral space in between the boundaries of universes. It's shown in Super that the universes are disconnected spatially (we also straight up consider each bubble different space-times).
Don't misunderstand the last part of my comment, I didn't mean that they are really connected, it was just an example.

So we are considering that the planet exists in a void as a dimensional axis?

I disagree with LuffyRuffy46307 disagreement. Takao Koyama is no reliable source in power scaling topics, as he contradicts himself several times due to be a "victim" of what I call a "desperate fan", which is when someone goes on social platforms to ask creators if their character is X or Y strong (like when Koyama was asked if Dragon Ball has an "infinite hierarchy of transcendent layers").

Not only that, but Koyama himself said that Broly cannot destroy the supposedly infinite-sized universe, which means that people who uses him as a source to high-balling Dragon Ball are shooting on their own feet, since he belives that Broly is below High 3-A:

にしても、無限の広さの大宇宙はブロリーの力をもってしても、破壊し尽くすことは不可能な気がします。

But I feel that it is impossible to destroy the infinite size of the macrocosm even with the power of Broly.

"Never gets out of a single galaxy" I'm just pointing out obvious misinformation in the OP. The planet in episode 3 in question is literally in a different quadrant itself. And they don't have to be passing through literally galaxy for that statement to be true. Saying someone's heading out to sea or the galaxy or outer space doesn't mean they have to go every single place and cover every square inch there for that to be said as you're implying.
I’m not so sure, if you said for instance you were heading to/for 3 places, then you prob traveled to each and every one. If you were heading to/for infinite galaxies, wouldn’t the same apply?

For the disagreement side, I suggest instead of 5 people responding to individual points from the OP, you guys organize yourselves and make a single relevant post with everything.

Bulma, Krillin and Gohan also using a non-infinite speed (Watch Episode 37 from 20:47 to 21:48) Spaceship to get to Namek is another contradiction to High 3-A Universes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back