• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon ball Cosmology revision

I was reading this blog on Dragon Ball cosmology which used this blog to get the size of the universe. While every thing is fine and dandy with this calc I can't help but notice the glaring issue of using observable universe for the size of Dragon Ball's entirety of the universe.

There are issues with this. Map - Not to scale

DB universe map
  • Dragon Ball universe is said to be infinite. There are several in canon and guide statements for this.
Now I am not saying it's infinite but even if it's infinitely expanding like ours, it would still be way bigger than just 94 Billion Light Years.

• Real world standards
Pretty much the entire scientific community agrees that observable universe isn't even close to the true size of the entire universe. Much less a fictional setting which has several statements of the universe being infinite.

But, but.....butt.

The real size of the universe is unknown right ? Yeah.

Let's make assumptions. Logical assumptions.

Method 1 -

A article from Forbes based on a oxford research -

We can only make inferences based on the laws of physics as we know them, and the things we can measure within our observable Universe. For example, we observe that the Universe is spatially flat on the largest scales: it's neither positively nor negatively curved, to a precision of 0.25%. If we assume that our current laws of physics are correct, we can set limits on how large, at least, the Universe must be before it curves back on itself.

Observations from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the Planck satellite are where we get the best data. They tell us that if the Universe does curve back in on itself and close, the part we can see is so indistinguishable from "uncurved" that it must be at least 250 times the radius of the observable part.

This means the unobservable Universe, assuming there's no topological weirdness, must be at least 23 trillion light years in diameter, and contain a volume of space that's over 15 million times as large as the volume we can observe

While yes this isn't written in stone it's a hellvua lot better than using observable universe.

So assuming that the universe indeed is 23 Trillion light years big and expanding, we get can get a true estimate of the size DB universe.

Method 2 - Infinite Universe.

I mean guides are guides, especially when the writer has borderline memory loss. Even the in canon statements say that the universe is very much limitless.

Anyway by Method 1 the universe 7 will be -

Since I am using the entire estimated size I will use the volume for the lower half of the globe (i.e. the material universe). And since the upper half is as big as the lower half we will say the total globe has 2 times the volume.

Which would be 2.175968e29m radius with a volume of 4.3156454217456E+88 m3.

Around 13,486,391 times more Volume for the center globe than the Observable universe calc.

What do you guys think ?

I was reading this blog on Dragon Ball cosmology which used this blog to get the size of the universe. While every thing is fine and dandy with this calc I can't help but notice the glaring issue of using observable universe for the size of Dragon Ball's entirety of the universe.

There are issues with this. Map - Not to scale

DB universe map
  • Dragon Ball universe is said to be infinite. There are several in canon and guide statements for this.
Now I am not saying it's infinite but even if it's infinitely expanding like ours, it would still be way bigger than just 94 Billion Light Years.
By how much? How fast is the expansion? This doesn't have enough information for us to get how much bigger it is

• Real world standards
Pretty much the entire scientific community agrees that observable universe isn't even close to the true size of the entire universe. Much less a fictional setting which has several statements of the universe being infinite.

But, but.....butt.

The real size of the universe is unknown right ? Yeah.

Let's make assumptions. Logical assumptions.

Method 1 -

A article from Forbes based on a oxford research -

We can only make inferences based on the laws of physics as we know them, and the things we can measure within our observable Universe. For example, we observe that the Universe is spatially flat on the largest scales: it's neither positively nor negatively curved, to a precision of 0.25%. If we assume that our current laws of physics are correct, we can set limits on how large, at least, the Universe must be before it curves back on itself.

Observations from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the Planck satellite are where we get the best data. They tell us that if the Universe does curve back in on itself and close, the part we can see is so indistinguishable from "uncurved" that it must be at least 250 times the radius of the observable part.

This means the unobservable Universe, assuming there's no topological weirdness, must be at least 23 trillion light years in diameter, and contain a volume of space that's over 15 million times as large as the volume we can observe

While yes this isn't written in stone it's a hellvua lot better than using observable universe.
"The Universe
The Universe is all of space and time and their contents, including planets, stars, galaxies, all forms of matter and energy. Due to the unknown spatial size of the universe, we use the size of the observable universe as a baseline for universal feats. The observable universe is currently estimated to be 93 billion light-years in diameter."

Observable universe is our standards, you would need to change them if you were to suggest this option

So assuming that the universe indeed is 23 Trillion light years big and expanding, we get can get a true estimate of the size DB universe.
We don't know this for sure, nor do we have concrete proof of a size, thus why we use the observable universe as our standard for universe size stuff, you would need to change the wiki standard for you to argue using this logic

Method 2 - Infinite Universe.

I mean guides are guides, especially when the writer has borderline memory loss. Even the in canon statements say that the universe is very much limitless.
This point was covered in this crt, offer more evidence or don't argue for this, as it would be repetition

Anyway by Method 1 the universe 7 will be -

Since I am using the entire estimated size I will use the volume for the lower half of the globe (i.e. the material universe). And since the upper half is as big as the lower half we will say the total globe has 2 times the volume.

Which would be 2.175968e29m radius with a volume of 4.3156454217456E+88 m3.

Around 13,486,391 times more Volume for the center globe than the Observable universe calc.

What do you guys think ?
Again, use that irl font and you would need tp change the universal standards first, do that and this can be considered

Btw your proposal is contraditory, you say that the db universe must be bigger than our own amd yet you use estimates for our own universe to suggest the new size, you can't use both, one is contrary to the other

So yeah, as Omega said, we have standards for this. Our standards dictate we use the observable universe as it is currently accepted by the scientific community. This is the standard size for universal structures as a low-ball, which makes it a very safe value to use.

Read here

I will leave the thread opened for the time being, but by our site standards, your proposal would be entirely rejected.

Tbh this should be closed we never scale Universes sizes like this and the size is always defaulted to size of observable universe and the translations don’t even mention that it’s expanding but more so that it extends or spreads across an area so trying to Calc a size based on the universe “expanding” doesn’t work because it’s never said to either

By how much? How fast is the expansion? This doesn't have enough information for us to get how much bigger it is
Read the article I linked or the passage
"The Universe
The Universe is all of space and time and their contents, including planets, stars, galaxies, all forms of matter and energy. Due to the unknown spatial size of the universe, we use the size of the observable universe as a baseline for universal feats. The observable universe is currently estimated to be 93 billion light-years in diameter."

Observable universe is our standards, you would need to change them if you were to suggest this option

We don't know this for sure, nor do we have concrete proof of a size, thus why we use the observable universe as our standard for universe size stuff, you would need to change the wiki standard for you to argue using this logic
Well then I will do that.
This point was covered in this crt, offer more evidence or don't argue for this, as it would be repetition

Again, use that irl font and you would need tp change the universal standards first, do that and this can be considered

Btw your proposal is contraditory, you say that the db universe must be bigger than our own amd yet you use estimates for our own universe to suggest the new size, you can't use both, one is contrary to the other

It's not contradictory. I don't remember our universe having a afterlife of the same size as the material universe. Also I said way bigger than 94 billion LY. Which even our universe is.

Using observable universe isn't a lowball. It's a downgrade.

Also the argument against Infinite universe is weak as hell. Eternity means endless and infinity can have edges.

And there are countless examples of characters going into the edge of a Universe that you guys have accepted to be infinite.

Back