• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Don't even visit: The worst fictional worlds to live in

I've always wondered what it would be like to live in my favorite fictional worlds, and this is one of the reasons why I seek out the most immersive works out there. However, while entertaining the thought of living elsewhere may be fun, that might not actually be a pleasant reality. Excluding verses that are otherwise pleasant aside from temporary cirses, what are some of the worst places in fiction to live in? [Bonus: How would you try to do so and how long do you think you would last?]

Halo: You've got the Covenant blowing up offworld settlements; you've got the Flood ruining planets so fast it'll make your head spin; being in the UNSC/Spartan Corps is a practical death sentence; and, even at home, you have to put up with the UN's bureaucracy.

Lovecraft-Verse: Oh, take a guess.

Half-Life: Live in the city, you're either getting swatted by Combine or joining Civil Protection to be cybernetically modified by your overlords and despised by your fellow humans, who are all going to die out by the bio-suppresion field, if they aren't shot first. Live in the country, hope the patrols don't find you before the headcrab zombies and hives of antlions do.

WH40K: Putting all the everyday horrors aside, even if you do everything right, if Armored Hulk Hogan loses against Satan, you die.

Evangelion: I don't want my life to be put in the hands of emotionally disturbed teenagers in mechas.

Doctor Who: Live in the cities, get attacked by alien armies or turn a blind eye to some atrocity keeping things working; live in the country and get eaten/worse by some obscure beast; run into the Doctor, you still have a pretty good chance of dying before it's all over. And most of the future societies are bureaucracies. And that's aside from cosmic threats.

SCP Foundation: [REDACTED] eternal pain in [REDACTED] after you inevitably die from being mauled/erased/assimilated/worse by SCP[REDACTED].

Stellaris: You could be mind controlled, either by drugs, machinery, or psionics, you could be forced to be a pet of the rogue servitors, you can have chips installed in your brain inhibiting free will, you could even have your soul be absorbed by the end of the cycle. Being genocided by racist aliens is the best outcome for you.

THE HUNTERS WILL NOT RELENT.

Digimon qualifies for both. So many cute and cuddly and awesome creatures that can serve as lifelong friends, but a massive amount of beings who can end all of existence with a slight temper tantrum.

I also hold my ground that the SCP Foundation is the worst verse to live in, ever. Here is a list of possible fate, none of which you can predict and stop in time normally:

-The sun suddenly deciding to turn everyone exposed to it into fuse monstrosity who constantly wails in pain and who can't die. Even dying before being caught by one isn't an option.

-Suddenly being teleported to a pocket dimension where you will be tortured forever.

-Captured by a slimey old man who will mentally and physically torture you for years on end.

-Being turned into a nest for a bunch of anomalous bugs who will eat you from the inside alive for years without you dying.

-Just...actually dying, which will make you feel the pain and suffering of every parts of you being taken apart and devoured, down to every atom of your body, forever.

There is no good ending. Only And-You-Must-Scream.

@Cal Because Cosmic Horror Story pushed to its logical extreme. The worse is that this kind of shit happens to random people who didn't do anything. You could pick up a random phone as a normal civilian and, because of that, end up tortured forever. And the Foundation would make everyone think you died normally and that everything is normal.

Talking about Cosmic Horror, the Cthulhu Mythos...isn't actually that bad. There isn't that much And I Must Scream fates and everyone who die are the people who actively seek out all that nonsense. Most people live comfortable lives in ignorant bliss. Even Nyarlathotep isn't as bad as he could be.

IIRC the worst fate a mortal can suffer in lovecraft is one of the guys turns you into a mummy and your brain stills intact until physically destroyed.

Oh! I remember in Crusader Kings, if you capture someone who attained immortality, you can use their body as a perpetual motion machine, allowing infinite energy at the cost of making them suffer a fate worse than death.

Game also has sex slavery, inbreeding, satanic corruption, and plenty more.

Saw, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th. Basically any horror/slasher movie that could most likely leave you dead.

I mean, from an existentialist perspective CM could be considered downright liberating. Think about it. All the gods and whatnot are so far above humanity as for humanity to be utterly inconsequential to them, and even they have no true meaning compared to stuff like Azathoth. Ironically, it could too be said that Azzy also doesn't have any true meaning due to how inconsequential it's entire domain is, even just in reference to itself. While to some this abject lack of meaning is a terrible prospect to comprehend, from a certain point of view, its really not. There's no huge overarching plots or goals or whatever you'd need to live up to. Things don't need to all have a meaning to them. You can be free to just live your life to the extent in which you chose to live it, freed from the burdens of some sort of greater purpose that needs to be fulfilled. I guess what I'm saying here, is that life doesn't necessarily need to be meaningful, and can in fact be enriched when looked at as a meaningless sequence.

Also, most of the people who get ****** over in some way end up like that due to chasing forbidden knowledge or whatever that they know very well they should just walk away from, and even Nyar seems to be more akin to a natural disaster than some malevolent god of evil solely devoted to the constant suffering of humanity.

To clarify, I'm not saying that having the Lovecraft shit IRL would make things better or whatever, I'm just saying that due to how most people can just live along as normal and how explicit confirmation of the ultimate meaninglessness of life makes it really not as bad as one would think at a first glance, somehow.

@Saikou

Yeesh! Makes creatures like SCP-049 seem tame. Can someone tell me which one those "sun" and "nesting bug" SCP's are?

MLP would actually suck if you were outside Equestria. Seriously the outside is full of criminals and slave traffickers. Place is practically a wasteland. There were even some dudes selling unicorn horns. For kids am I right?

Lightbuster30 said:
MLP would actually suck if you were outside Equestria. Seriously the outside is full of criminals and slave traffickers. Place is practically a wasteland. There were even some dudes selling unicorn horns. For kids am I right?
You forgot the series has SO much mind control it is insane. Even the good characters are willing to use it. Twilight might have use the reformation spell in Discord.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
The sun is Locke's SCP-001, although I forgot the bug one. It was a first series SCP tho IIRC
Darn. That nesting bug one made me think of that one scene from "The Mist," and I really wanted to identify it. I'm definitely checking out that other SCP, though.

To an extent, if you think about it too hard, Pokemon.

Now, I know what people are thinking. "Why Pokemon? There's Pikachu! And Eevee!" And you'd be right.

"But Cal, like Saik said when you said Digimon: it's not about the power of the verse, but how likely you are to die a horrible death."

And that's exactly what could make Pokemon quite terrifying. There are quite a lot of species that could ruin you if you got on their bad sides. And not just Ghost types, or Pokemon that are doing so on purpose or even knowingly.

For starters, remember that there's multiple species of human sized bugs, or bigger.

Second, the Pokemon that would make your life miserable by existing. Tyranitar creates earthquakes by walking. Abomasnow, hailstorms by existing. Touching something like Magcargo or Muk would end you. Looking at Mimikyu's true form quite literally scares you to death. Touching Ninetales's tails could result in a 1000 year curse. Getting near Pokemon like Starmie or Alakazam gives you massive headaches.

And then there's the Pokemon that will do so on purpose. Gengar, Chandelure, Hypno, Drifloon, Banette, Cofagrigus, and way too many more. Pretty much any Mega Evolution will kill you if given the chance. Mega Salamence, Mega Gyarados, Mega Gengar, Mega Banette, even Mega Lucario, the Pokemon with the most justice.

And let's not forget about the humans, who are still a threat. There's the very prevalent mafia like Team Rocket, eco-terrorists like Team Magma and Aqua, and omnicidal terrorists like Teams Galactic (who summon gods to wipe out the universe) and Flare (who summon lesser deities to power a life-wiping weapon). Team Skull are just...thugs. Team Plasma is PETA, but terrorists who turn into straight up megalomaniacal terrorists willing to kill children.

Normally, when you die, you go to the Spirit World, taken there by Dusknoirs. Sometimes you become a ghost like Marowak. If you're unlucky, you become a Pokemon. Sounds like a good thing, it's probably not if you still have human-level intellect and knowledge of your human life. News flash, you probably have both. If you're lucky, you become something like a Gengar. If you're unlucky, you become something like Yamask.

And of course, there's the Legendaries that'll probably kill you. Mewtwo, in the games, hasn't curbed his genocidal tendencies yet. Yep, that's only in the manga and anime where he's changed. In the games, there's no talk of him realizing that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, and that it's what you do with the gift of life that defines who you are. He's still a massive dick who will attempt to kill you before you can think. Or Guzzlord, who will actually eat you. Necrozma, if not in his true form, will drain your region of light. Groudon and Kyogre will kill you by being alive, either through dehydration or drowning respectively. Even Lugia, someone who's nice, will give you a 40 day storm by accidentally flapping its wings. Darkrai, simply out of defense, if not straight up unknowingly, gives you NEVER-ENDING NIGHTMARES simply by being nearby. And it's confirmed that he has indeed killed people with it. Even Arceus gets pissed every so often and threatens to just bust everything.

Cal goddamnit I posted Pokémon in the "Best world to live" thread at the same time as you posted this.

MLP, as mentioned, has slave drivers and criminals, but if you lived in Equestria, you'd be fine

RWBY wouldn't exactly be the best world to live in, mainly for the Grimm, and discrimination if you're a Faunus/have animals traits of any kind. But aside from that, it's not all that bad.

Godzilla needs no explanation.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Cal goddamnit I posted Pokémon in the "Best world to live" thread at the same time as you posted this.
What are the effing odds? Lol

Pokemon is still a great world to live in. It only stinks if you think wayyyyyy too hard about it lol.

Back