• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Don't even visit: The worst fictional worlds to live in

@Phoenix. Funny enough, Pokemon itself made that scenario a thing, with Pokestar Studios. A Ledian is the ruler, and the star of the movie (that's you) is fighting a Black Belt, who, surprise surprise, has Fighting- type moves.

Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda...during Twilight Princess.

Unless Link saves the world, and until he inevitably does, unless you live in Ordona, you're stuck to exist as a wandering soul in twilight for all eternity, terrified of Shadow Beasts that if they kill you, you turn into one.

Honorable mention is Termina from TLoZ: MM. You're forced to repeat the same three days, watching helplessly as some scary-ass moon gets closer and closer until it hits the planet and obliterates it. To make matters worse, every corner of the world except for the central town is suffering from a natural disaster. Woodfall to the south has its waters turned poisonous. Snowhead to the north, despite the name, is supposed to be in a season of a calm spring, and has instead become a harsh winter. The Great Bay to the west has its waters becoming extremely hot, and deadly (albeit very attractive) pirates plague the area. And finally, Ikana Canyon to the east has become very, very haunted. To make an already worse situation worse, a little imp in some weird mask is pulling cruel magical pranks, turning adults about to get married into children, stealing Zora eggs, splitting apart fairies into fractions, and more. And it's even worse, as there was supposed to be the festival, which would've been the time of everyone's lives...

@Andy - Depends on what Chara's up to and if you can get along with the monsters.

@Saik - Do you think Yume Nikki would count, what with it still being someone's dream? I'd hate to be in that dream, though.

Yume Nikki is just dark, creepy and empty though. In 2kki there is people, cities, fun places and all, but 90% of Yume Nikki is depression and very few human characters.

Stalker/Roadside Picnic is pretty bad. The most habitable place to live has rabid zombie dogs, invisible monsters, bandits/madmen, and space-time distortions. Andrei Tarkovsky's film adaptation suggests that everywhere outside the Zone is worse off, and while that movie didn't have the monsters, taking the wrong step or failing to do all these safety precautions in the Zone meant you'd likely step into some sort of warp and die.

Almost every cinematic future setting is dangerous: get buried under paperwork in "Brazil"; get forced to work underground in Fritz Lang's "Metropolis"; die broke on Earthen slums in "Blade Runner"; get facehug'd or work for the man forever in "Alien"; get mind-haxxed by the planet "Solaris..." One of the most pleasant futures I can think of was in 2013's "Her," and that movie was super-depressing and about AI replacing human interactions. Fun!

@Saik - I'll follow up with "Brave New World," unless one can just let the dignity slip and give in to the hedonism.

Call of Duty. Get drafted and/or get Michael Bay'd.

Mega Man: By the time the X series rolls around, mankind's just taking shelter and letting the robots duke it out. Arguably gets worse in the Zero series. Havok common in every series and spinoff.

SMT Digital Devil Saga: Post-apocalyspe SMT but with cannibalism!

Oh! Any given David Lynch movie. Even in the comparitively pleasant "Twin Peaks," you've still the trademark nightmares, otherworldly killers, psycho neighbors, suffocating atmosphere... Saik, you'd really like "Eraserhead," I think. It's almost like "Yume Nikki: The Movie." 90 minutes of grotesque, dreamy, intriguing madness.

The real cal howard said:
Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda...during Twilight Princess.

Unless Link saves the world, and until he inevitably does, unless you live in Ordona, you're stuck to exist as a wandering soul in twilight for all eternity, terrified of Shadow Beasts that if they kill you, you turn into one.

Honorable mention is Termina from TLoZ: MM. You're forced to repeat the same three days, watching helplessly as some scary-ass moon gets closer and closer until it hits the planet and obliterates it. To make matters worse, every corner of the world except for the central town is suffering from a natural disaster. Woodfall to the south has its waters turned poisonous. Snowhead to the north, despite the name, is supposed to be in a season of a calm spring, and has instead become a harsh winter. The Great Bay to the west has its waters becoming extremely hot, and deadly (albeit very attractive) pirates plague the area. And finally, Ikana Canyon to the east has become very, very haunted. To make an already worse situation worse, a little imp in some weird mask is pulling cruel magical pranks, turning adults about to get married into children, stealing Zora eggs, splitting apart fairies into fractions, and more. And it's even worse, as there was supposed to be the festival, which would've been the time of everyone's lives...
Add the flood, Demise's war and the sealing one (post OoT downfall), and we're good. And technically the people of Termina don't realize that there's a three day cycle.

Halo: Already explained in the OP.

Ben 10: From a glance it may not look that bad, but many of the cities all over Earth are routinely attacked by mountain/planet busting aliens. And if Ben or some other super powered being happens to not be around, you're kinda screwed over. Plus all the villains either planning to eat everything, or destroy the universe etc etc.

Akame ga Kill: Tsk tsk.... where do I even begin? It is pretty much Medieval Europe, with the exception of City. and mountain busting evildoers, and rampaging monsters capable of similar feats. Not to mention most of the people live under a tyrannical empire.

Tasty Planet: I don't want to end my life face to face with the oncoming goopocalypse.

Atomic Forest: Animals became reasonable (due to the radiation) and created somewhat similar to a human civilization. But they will kill any human that will have been entering to their forest.

Teletubbies: Nuff said.

Puella Magi Verse: Being able to witness cute, yet badass girl kicking some witches butt aside, a Male in a mostly female series is practically a nonexistent (And I don't like that). There is like, only one male character in the entire series that is somewhat relevant, but that is about it. Tart Magica is the only series where the male have some significant role in it.

IMO both this and the "Actually do visit" thread are super dependent on whether or not we're assuming that we'd be able to adapt to the logic of thee verse and become capable of what humans in said verse are capable of doing and/or becoming.

@Endless I'd personally assume that you just become a normal civilian of the verse. If normal civilians can do stuff then you can probably do it, but don't expect to become god tier out of nowhere if it can't happen normally.

Endless Astrograph Sorcerer said:
IMO both this and the "Actually do visit" thread are super dependent on whether or not we're assuming that we'd be able to adapt to the logic of thee verse and become capable of what humans in said verse are capable of doing and/or becoming.
While that maybe true, the only thing I could do for a male like me to become a relevant character in the verse I mentioned above is to befriend with one of the magical girls out there.

Here is the thing, in the verse where almost every fighters are females, I'm utterly useless if a witch shows up and attack me. My friend would either die from my powerlessness or inevitably becomes a witch, both are the last things I wanted to happen to my friend.

I could adept just fine, but watching those two things happens to my friend WITHOUT being able to do anything isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Besides, the verse is inevitably doomed by either Walpurgisnacht or Kriemhild Gretche.

@Saikou

Being an ordinary civilian in ASOIAF would be absolutely awful. If non-god tier but like in a tier worth ranking within the series is available, I have more ideas for verses I'd wanna enter than verses I don't. It's already been stated but SCP Foundation would be utterly horrifying to live in.

@Homu

I feels from a kinda different angle as I'm likely to be killed in the majority of my favorite verses. In many of them, more than once.

How could I forget? You'd be fine in most of the real world, but wouldn't it be a treat to live in the heart of Silent Hill? Most horror series are unpleasant, but that one gets the bonus of actively adapting to torment you.

Silent Hill vs. Yume Nikki .flow. Which one would be worse, I wonder?

@Ricsi - I don't get these thread topics at the botom. What's "Higher-Dimensional Manipulation" or "Plot-Induced Stupidity" got to do with all this?

@Saik - Leave a message on my wall sometime. I'd like to talk about Yume Nikki and SCP sometime.

I'll let the thread run a bit longer and then try to pitch my own subjective Top 5 Worst list.

One Punch Man verse, I guess. The world in this verse is constantly on the verge of destruction. Many monsters appear and try either destroy some city or annihilate whole humanity, or simply kill/hurt some bystanders. The destructive battles between monsters/villains and heroes can occur often on streets of some random city.

You have a high chance of dying in this world from some monster rampaging around especially if you're a normal citizen with no superpowers.

Follow Doctor Freeman said:
@Ricsi - I don't get these thread topics at the botom. What's "Higher-Dimensional Manipulation" or "Plot-Induced Stupidity" got to do with all this?
Plot induced stupidity is bad because it means that you have to live enslaved by da plot.

Higher dimensional is a meh, likely because most can curbstomp you to hell and back.

Okay, my personal Top 5 Worst (Number 5 will SHOCK you)(Gone Wrong)(The Problem With)(It Was Murdered)(Not Clickb8)

Honorable Mention: Half-Life. --- I Must Scream fates are very common, and this might be the most emotionally troubling verse since human extinction is inevitable (I didn't want to even bring up the biological suppression field) and getting relative safety by joining the Combine will make everyone else hate you. The countryside is infested will all sorts of aliens with I Must Scream ways of dealing with you, too, so...

5. Doctor Who. --- Has the most or second-most I Must Scream situations and cosmic conflicts, but isn't higher due to some areas being pretty peaceful. I wouldn't want to take my chances here, though.

4. WH40K. --- Yeah, you know.

3. Crusader Kings. --- For Zach's reasons. Also no AC or indoor plumbing.

2. Silent Hill/.flow --- Both are nightmarish hellscapes with I Must Scream fates, horrrifying creatures, and the ability to adapt to ruin you.

1. SCP Foundation/MotherHorseEyes' "Interface" Saga --- Very similar, so I mentioned both, although the former is worse. The latter does have the chance of you getting such I Must Scream fates as having your functioning organs loosely separated from you or getting turned into a living LSD factory, though.

Nuclear Throne

Y'all are worried about the world ending. The world already ended here. Either prepare to instantly become mutated into a monster or just have your skin slough off if you can't handle the radiation. The entire planet is irradiated and there really is no saving grace.

Have fun!

DC/Marvel - Yes, there are superheroes all around but the supervillains are just as many and you will be screw if Spider-Man isn't around to save your ass, and that without take intro account any other cosmic horrors, godlike assholes or any other superpowered begins that are purelly evil.

Hokuto no Ken/Fallout - The mere fact that both Earths where devastated by a nuclear war is enough for me to stay the **** out of those worlds, and that without take intro account the kind of creatures and people you could meet if you're unlucky enough. Not sure what would be worse, dealing with groups of bandits that are 5 times bigger than a human or dealing with Super Mutants and Deathclaws.

W40k/lovecraft/SCP foundation are a close comparision, although i'd say that SCP would be the worst, since the chances of the entire universe/reality in general ending every day is frighteningly high. At least in lovecraft you'll probably welcome death by the time it reaches you, and in W40K you're at least told that you can make a difference or that you're sacrifice will mean something, in SCP, you'll probably never even realise or know what happened, if you're allowed to that is, since most XK scenarios involve the world or universe effectively ceasing to exist, or being overun by some wierd ass anomaly

The Good Place . My soul and the soul of almost the entire population will be tortured in countless ways by beings we can't even hope to fight back against after our death. Yay.

...Adult comedies are a whole are generally very dark...

I remember the onion book "our dumb century" having this for a 1930 "news article"

Though times may be hard, Americans of all ages are forgetting their troubles with the help of beloved fantasy author H P Lovecraft. The recently deceased "Weird Tales" contributor transports readers to a happier land of sanity-sapping prehuman subterranean, helping folks everywhere put aside their cares and take a delightfully diverting trip to Lovecraftland.

"When the narrator recoils in horror at the non-Euclidean alien geometries of the dreaded Sleeping Elder God Cthulhu's undersea tomb, I was in dreamland, wishing my own life could be so merry," said reader Gus Derleth, an unemployed quarryman from Wisconsin. "If only I, too, could be plagued by the shifting gelatinous menace of Shub-Niggurath, Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young."

Lovecraft's pulp fiction has won its way into the hearts of readers eager for hope. "His disturbed, paranoid tales of unknowable crawling madness serve as a welcome respite for many people suffering through the Depression," Yale University literature professor Paul Sloccambe said. "Lovecraft makes readers wish their own lives were as romantic and carefree as those in his stories, like the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, who pens the forbidden Necronomicon only to be devoured alive by invisible demons in front of Screaming onlookers."

Lovecraft's gay yarns lift the spirit and take readers' minds off the difficulties of daily life. "The Dunwich Horror" tells the uplifting story of a half-human abomination born of a human woman and Yog-Sothoth, an ancient, extra-dimensional being worshiped by a half-mad death cult. And the much-beloved "Pickman's Model" has won wide popularity for its delightful portrayal of a tortured painter consorting with hideous subterranean perversities too gruesome to face the light of day.

Of course, such optimism can only exist in fiction. But, in our reality, victims of these dreary times need only open a Lovecraft book to take an exciting trip to a far-off land where alien beings "construct mighty basalt cities of windowless towers, preying horribly on the minds of all they find there."

Would that real life were so grand!

Oh and corruption of champions for obvious reasons.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/TheOnio

Have fun with this

Oh, and pocket god. A sadistical being called Gene Simians will continuously revive you and torture you in countless different ways just for fun. If you kill yourself he brings you back and the deaths can get both weird and VERY disturbing. Oh, and things like the purification fountain. It'll cure you of all diseases, but also make you irrationally afraid of germs and have a desire to make everything and everyone else as clean as possible using the water from the purification founatin. Eventually, you'll be so clean you cease to exist... And then Gene Simians brings you back.

Back