• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discord vs Joker (Ren Amamiya)

also, if we say that Ren starts with gunshot, we have to take into account that his gunshot induces ailments and negates resistance.

I looked around, and it's actually not on a lot of profile, but it's on Ren's. People must have forgot tbh.

Abstract Existence (Type 1. A Persona's true form is the abstract portions of their user's psyche, and their physical forms are mere projections of it)

Multipize said:
MrKerf said:
So, bloodlusted Discord is stomp.
Not bloodlusted Discord is still starting with Powernull tho.

What is Ren starting with again? And can he one-shot Discord?
Using his third eye Joker finds out Discord's not a shadow so he takes aim Discord notices him. Ren starts to shoot and gets his gun removed from existance Joker gets power nulled and charismas discord into giving him his powers back then he tries different elemental spells (or makes another gun) depending on which one he's weak to and then eventually death haxs him
The battle is over, and Joker moves o

any questions?
Yeah, his charisma gets nulled too. There is absolutely no way charisma isn't logic based. It clearly follows it.

Basically, he can null powers by nulling the logic they run on. With the logic they operate on failing, the power fails (This canonically happened in a chapter book).

Can discord even affect type 1 abstracts?

Looking over his profile it says his NPI is via effecting magic, which doesn't sound like it would work on a persona.

YungManzi said:
What's this about logic? Is that Discord's power null?
Yep. Apparently Logic Manip = Mind/Speech(?) Manip too. Oh well. I find it a little silly, but I'm nowhere even close to being a knowledgeable of this verse, so I don't really have the right question things much.

Smashkabab said:
YungManzi said:
What's this about logic? Is that Discord's power null?
Yep. Apparently Logic Manip = Mind/Speech(?) Manip too. Oh well. I find it a little silly, but I'm nowhere even close to being a knowledgeable of this verse, so I don't really have the right question things much.
Excuse me what? Since when?

Being a type 1 abstract makes you immune to practically everything that isn't high level conceptual manipulation, unless the character you're going against can affect type 1 abstracts.

Edit: We also assume their mind and other things are abstract as well, so non of that works either.

Excuse me what? Since when?

Referring to the fact that the only way I can see this Logic Manip vs. Charisma thing working out is if Discord somehow shuts Joker up, which is either mind control, body control, or speech control(?). Maybe it's because a logical being is trying to understand something illogical, but it just doesn't work out in my head.

Smashkabab said:
Assuming Joker keeps charisma, voting Joker. Otherwise, Discord still thinks him to death, just slower than before.
Uh, seriously, can Discord not affect type 1 abstracts?

Discord not being able to affect type 1's means he couldn't do anything to a persona.

And he just loses at that point tbh, maybe even a stomp.

Uh, seriously, can Discord not affect type 1 abstracts?

Discord not being able to affect type 1's means he couldn't do anything to a persona.

And he just loses at that point tbh, maybe even a stomp.

That would work out nicely, except that for Discord to lose, that's gonna probably mean Death Hax before Discord decides to use Gravity Manip to crush Joker, rip Joker apart, or turn him into a messy pulp by creating a gravity well in Joker's body.

And for Death Hax to be used that quickly, that means Sleuthing Mastery, which might or might not go off at the beginning of the fight, depending on how quickly Discord applies Logic Manip, therefore negating Sleuthing Mastery entirely. Discord may forgo Logic Manipulation due to his overconfidence until Joker becomes more visibly threatening, but I don't know. We'll see.

I'm rooting for Joker right now, but it's too soon to tell at the moment.

Uh. Ren is an RPG character, so outside of cutscenes and animations, we would allow him to start with whatever move he has access to (Because his starting move wholy depends on whoever is playing as him).

That's how we treat Pokemon and other rpgs, anyway.

He would also know what would and wouldn't work on Discord...so that could influence what he would use first.

And does have resistance to spatial manipulation and reality warping, so that could cancel out any gravity spawning shenanigans you mentioned, depending on how they work.

Lightbuster30 said:
Multipize said:
MrKerf said:
So, bloodlusted Discord is stomp.
Not bloodlusted Discord is still starting with Powernull tho.

What is Ren starting with again? And can he one-shot Discord?
Using his third eye Joker finds out Discord's not a shadow so he takes aim Discord notices him. Ren starts to shoot and gets his gun removed from existance Joker gets power nulled and charismas discord into giving him his powers back then he tries different elemental spells (or makes another gun) depending on which one he's weak to and then eventually death haxs him
The battle is over, and Joker moves o

any questions?
Yeah, his charisma gets nulled too. There is absolutely no way charisma isn't logic based. It clearly follows it.
What makes charisma logic based

and what stopped him from doing this to stop Tirek from making him betray his friends

And don't try comparing this to flutter's stare. His charisma is used much more often in actual combat situations

Joker consistently gets people who try to kill him to turn around a new leaf. I fail to see how he can Power null something that's not magic. That's just a part of Joker as a person.

I vote Joker

Top Tier
Joker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA9iW8iG4ps

Lightbuster30 said:
So, remind me again why it was a good idea to pit a type 1 abstract against a guy who can't interact with them?
Trust me when I say a lot of people know this fight was a mistake

But we're trying to make it work

Hold on a sec. Can't Discord just Powernull Joker (who is not a type 1 Abstract) so that he woldn't be able to use personas?

Trust me when I say a lot of people know this fight was a mistake

But we're trying to make it work

Yeah, this fight shouldn't exist. It's been nothing but a pain for everyone. But as you said, we're trying to make it work.

ThisMrKerf said:
Hold on a sec. Can't Discord just Powernull Joker (who is not a type 1 Abstract) so that he woldn't be able to use personas?
This was addressed a while ago scroll up a bit

My bad than, I'm a bit sleepy.

So, Discord can't powernull - because Abstract Type 1, can't Transmutate - because Resistance. In my book it is a stomp.

First of all, can I see this resistance? We've already established that some Ren's resistances are a bit iffy.

Second of all, how does Ren's death hax works?

MrKerf said:
So, Discord can't powernull - because Abstract Type 1, can't Transmutate - because Resistance. In my book it is a stomp.

First of all, can I see this resistance? We've already established that some Ren's resistances are a bit iffy.

He shouldn't power null to in theory just kill Ren lol He has other options he just doesn't kill people immediatly as long as he knows they can't hurt him. it's in his character which not a lot of ren's spells can do.

Also death hax work by killing the target it doesn't really matter what it is. it works on Personas and shadows so going ghost can't save him

Powernull and Transmutation is his first moves. If they're failed, then Ren'll oneshot him with his haxes.

What skill is it exactly? Die for Me of Alice?

MrKerf said:

As far as transmutation, I don't know. But the way Ren's death hax works is that if an enemy doesn't have death manip resistance, they will get hit by the move, since it spawns at the target's location and activates instantaneously. And if you get hit, that's game over unless you have resurrection. The only reason anyone survives death hax in Persona is because pretty much all characters in the verse have some level of resistance. The same applies to status ailments too, but that's irrelevant at the moment.

MrKerf said:
Powernull and Transmutation is his first moves. If they're failed, then Ren'll oneshot him with his haxes.

What skill is it exactly? Die for Me of Alice?
That would work, but I don't know if Die for Me has AoE. Mamudo/Mamudoon do.

Well there is a skill which can turn people into rats and make them have the intelligence of a rat and unable to use persona iirc.

I don't know if Ren can resist that at any point though.

YungManzi said:
Well there is a skill which can turn people into rats and make them have the intelligence of a rat and unable to use persona iirc.
I don't know if Ren can resist that at any point though.
When did Ren have a transmuation resistance

Well, I see, that I don't see. Hmm...

I vote for this match being a stomp via "one of the characters is unreasonably outmatched by their opponent" and gonna go to sleep now.

Back