• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure a person knowledgable in sun wukong mythos called out G1 being wrong as hell on the monkey king
Yeah, it was this guy. Both G1 and the actual DB researchers got quite a lot wrong according to him.

When I originally watched the video, I skipped the character analysis straight to the fight. I only just now got around to reading the official transcript for the beginning, and I’m sorry to report that Monkey’s section is riddled with errors. Whomever wrote it has definitely never read the book. It would be like me writing a Death Battle transcript about Harry Potter based on a very lazy read of Wikipedia. I tried correcting the mistakes onsite, but my edits were reverted and I was told that the transcript is off limits. Therefore, I’ve decided to add my corrections and comments here (in blue) like I did above.

I think the DB team also got some info for the episode from his blog but never credited him properly. I think he's still uncredited even now but I'm not sure.
But before continuing, I want to note that I’m upset because it appears that info from my research blog was likely used in the video and Death Battle wiki website without the specific articles being linked to. Sure, my general blog URL was added twice to an external site (here and here), but this is not the same as linking to the actual articles on the video/wiki so people can see where Death Battle got their information from. Make no mistake, this has little to do with publicity; my blog generates zero money for me. It’s just fair that my work be recognized if it’s being used, especially if it contributed to a video currently making money for its creators.

Does anyone even have a Discord server to shitpost on? :V

Jason's still MIA... once the KS ends, I guess I'll create a thread for 2024-2025 eps. Unless we want to create just a nightmarish giga-thread that will never be retired?

Next Wednesday and Thursday will have two more streams to promote the Kickstarter for its final stretch
Only a little while longer until Ben and Chad are contractually obligated to hear out every last dogwater who matchup from all the pitch tier backers.....................................

Mashle is a fantasy, think of Black Clover. It takes place in the magic realm, but instead of having the capability for magic, the main character (Mash Burnedead) has zero. Like, actually zero, no extra power gained like anti-magic, or some reveal that hes the reincarnation of a god, he just relies purely on his muscles (and his friends encouragement when he needs it.)
That's actually pretty neat. While I did enjoy the few episodes I saw of Black Clover, I always thought that Asta's anti-magic made the whole message of not being special and the importance of working hard fall completely flat. I mean, true he doesn't have magic, but his anti-magic counters all established powers in such an incredibly convenient way that it's a broken superpower in itself.

I think the power of friendship is bad only when it's used as a superpower, but when it's actual support and encouragement between people that actually care for each other to help through hardships then it's great.
As for the world, it's actually more like Shrek? Lots of modern term are used, sports exists (though more magically inclined), people read newspapers, and there's technically live television broadcasts through magic. As for the magic system itself, it's based on tiers yes. At the bottom there's basic spells personal magics, but as you go up, the more powerful things get. Normally wizards are born with one or two lines, but they can grow more when exerting their magic power, leading to higher class spells like Secondths or Thirds manifesting. Really, the only old school rpg element that's brought up are the existences of white and black mages, but it's only talked about once, so you have to connect the dots yourself.
I think that's alright. It's quirky, but in a charming way. It's just that I think the Isekai setting of a very bare bones medieval fantasy europe with little more than kingdoms, stock monsters and magic and basing abilities on game mechanics (leveling up, parameters like HP, ATK, MP, etc, quests in videogame esque dungeons with loot and EXP, etc, etc) is just dull, boring and overdone.

But tiering, types of magic and all is perfectly fine, that's pretty standard in general.
Oh, and the way wizards progress through the world is similar to our own. They go to academies, and the one the series focuses on is Easton, one of the top 3 academies across the continent. At the end of one's school year, after you accumulate enough gold coins, you can compete for a chance to fight for the title of Divine Visionary in a selection exam. After that you compete against the Tri-Magic-Athalon against representatives from the two other top academies, before becoming Divine Visionary if you win. There you end up joining the Bureau of Magic, an are assigned to divisions, where you can either head research, look after the dead bodies of powerful wizards so that they aren't stolen, lead the police force, or more
Magic school eh, I guess a japanese story can't let go of high school shaeningans, lol. Well, to be fair it seems to be well done here since all the careers and life choices come from there, so it's more than a simple place for school hijinks.

Watching over the corpses of wizards sounds creepy as hell, who would take a job like that?

Is Mash more of an underdog that proves his worth or a wildcard that constantly surprises others by beating them with his own abilities?

That's actually pretty neat. While I did enjoy the few episodes I saw of Black Clover, I always thought that Asta's anti-magic made the whole message of not being special and the importance of working hard fall completely flat. I mean, true he doesn't have magic, but his anti-magic counters all established powers in such an incredibly convenient way that it's a broken superpower in itself.

I think the power of friendship is bad only when it's used as a superpower, but when it's actual support and encouragement between people that actually care for each other to help through hardships then it's great.
Indeed, that's what the power of friendship is in Mashle. When Mash is down, they cheer him up, and help him with things he struggles with, like his studying. Really, that's the cool thing about Mashle. It uses the power of friendship in a sweet way, where one cannot complete everything themselves without support from others that care for them.
I think that's alright. It's quirky, but in a charming way. It's just that I think the Isekai setting of a very bare bones medieval fantasy europe with little more than kingdoms, stock monsters and magic and basing abilities on game mechanics (leveling up, parameters like HP, ATK, MP, etc, quests in videogame esque dungeons with loot and EXP, etc, etc) is just dull, boring and overdone.
Yeah, it doesn't have that isekai stuff. I don't think there's ever been an isekai in WSJ actually.
But tiering, types of magic and all is perfectly fine, that's pretty standard in general.

Magic school eh, I guess a japanese story can't let go of high school shaeningans, lol. Well, to be fair it seems to be well done here since all the careers and life choices come from there, so it's more than a simple place for school hijinks.
Well it doesn't really focus on the class part of things. Really, the setting takes place on school grounds for most of the series, where we see the fights take place.
Watching over the corpses of wizards sounds creepy as hell, who would take a job like that?
The man who's immortal. And while it may seem creepy, it's a very important job, dont want some guy pulling an Orochimaru, haha.
Is Mash more of an underdog that proves his worth or a wildcard that constantly surprises others by beating them with his own abilities?
elements of both, but he's more so in the wildcard category. The series' humor comes from the absurdity of his feats and how he overcomes magic that would seemingly be hard to beat with simple logic or pure strength. That's not to say he never faces any challenge in the series, no, he faces those that are weaker than him, around his level, or are straight up more powerful.

Yeah, it was this guy. Both G1 and the actual DB researchers got quite a lot wrong according to him.

I think the DB team also got some info for the episode from his blog but never credited him properly. I think he's still uncredited even now but I'm not sure.
Death Battle and not crediting fanart and blogs, name a more infamous duo outside of versus. I don’t think they do it out of malice, but Ben and the team are legitimate Boomers when it comes to Internet culture.

Move over Death Battle, the real powerscaling master has arrived

h15ezj1l8kl81.png

huh, is he the only one who can make new threads? I thought we could all do that

Couldn't we make a new thread and ask an admin to close the previous thread?

Uhh, I was able to create the new DB Accuracy thread, so I dont think anyone is blocked from thread creating by default?
That accuracy thread is ****** because it’s missing the most important factor in determining accuracy.

Character I like wins: Completely valid and accurate
Character I don’t like wins: Completely wrong and poorly researched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back