• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Darker Than Black - Buffs and fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so for the longest time our Darker Than Black profiles have been, well poor to put it lightly. Currently Hei is rated a 9-A despite having feats that are vastly above that, and a lot of context behind his abilities is missing, and with today's CRT I'll plan on rectifying all of this, but be warned the changes I'm going to propose here are massive, absolutely massive in nature however I'll elaborate upon this more.

The Calculations

Alright so let's get right into the good stuff here, so previously Hei had no Calculations on his profile and instead was just filled with random stats without any real form of citation. But fortunately for us, a hard working Calculation group member (Serious shout-out to DragonGamerZ913 for the help, without him calculating the important feats the verse would be stuck in it's current state.) so now we have two calculations to use, one is a clash between Hei and Harvest and Hei nuking a large section of South America, with the former having a yield of 6-B+ (54 Teratons.) and the latter having a yield of 5-A. (199.6 yottatons.)

Unfortunately Harvest doesn't have a profile at the moment in time but I plan on changing that.

Yes I know these are major changes due to Hei's current stats and I'll explain below as to why it's not an outlier of any sorts.

Is it an outlier?

As I said above, these feats provide for a pretty big jump in ratings, a 9-A going to 6-B+ to 5-A with the Meteor Fragment might seem like an outlier at first glance but I disagree entirely.

Firstly, 9-A is a temporary rating for Hei, as that was only implemented for the sake of a placeholder since it was better than a random 9-C that came out of nowhere, my point being that both of these ratings server no real purpose to gauge Hei's actual strength, his direct feats place him many times above these previous ratings and I'm honestly not sure why he was ever 9-C to begin with so this shouldn't be used to discredit him getting a rightful upgrade.

"Okay so that doesn't change the fact that these feats still make for a big jump therefore it's an outlier."

Nay, I disagree entirely the term outlier is thrown around here a lot despite that rarely ever being applicable expect for extreme cases, and said extreme cases are very rare here. Prime examples are Nasuverse characters going from tier 5 to tier 2 and above without being dismissed as an outlier, Devil May Cry characters went from 6-C, to 4-C all the way to 2-C, last but certainly not least Bleach went from 5-B to tier 3 up to low 2-C. All of these are massive jumps, but none of them were labeled as "outlier." despite having jumps of an infinite difference, you might argue that is a "whataboutism." but again I must disagree as this sets an example of what can and can't be considered as an outlier, especially if the basis of this being an outlier is based upon argument from Disbelief or Argument from Incredulity.

Hei is also stated to be one of the strongest Contractors so his feats aren't scalable to other people as he's explicitly one of the god tiers of the verse.

And in a case like this, where the character was given random stats out of the blue and now has Calculations to justify his ratings I'd argue the outlier argument is very much inapplicable here. Even with his 5-A feat, that was done with something that amplifies the abilities of Contractors to an unimaginable degree so this wouldn't scale to his base stats of course.

Proof of Sub-Atomic destruction

Now we go into the second part, that being Sub-atomic destruction. In these feats it involves two characters who can manipulate Electrons (which are smaller than atoms, they're actually Macro Quantum in nature but we don't have a formula for such a thing.) one being able to manipulate them directly and the other being able to deconstruct objects on that level, and its directly stated that Hei's electricity alters any substance on a quantum level. We also explicitly see the ground around them, iron structures and even humans being completely destroyed.

TLDR; Hei is in need of some serious upgrades.

Last edited:
I'm the one that did the calcs so naturally I believe this makes sense. I believe Gin provided enough proof that the feats are sub-atomic destruction, and while I don't think bringing in other verses was necessary, huge jumps don't necessarily mean outliers. It's only if they're inconsistent with what's shown that's the problem, and that doesn't seem to be the case to my knowledge.

You already know how I feel about sub-atomization, but alas I'll save that for more knowledgeable members of the verse, not my hill to die on.

As far as your arguments regarding it being an outlier, I agree. If the character has no anti-feats/no reason to doubt he is on that level (assuming the calc is accurate) then it being a big number doesn't discredit its validity. So, assuming there's no contradictory scaling chain, there should be no issue with Hei scaling to his own calcs.

Personally, I think it would help your argument if you an included a scaling chain that demonstrates it isn't outlierish for Hei to scale this high. I feel that would help less knowledgeable members give better informed opinions on the thread. Tentatively I see nothing wrong with the proposal assuming the calc is correct tho.

This seems well thought out and a logical conclusion

I absolutely agree with the argument, so many profiles and characters have massive tier jumps, that shouldn't be a detractor here

I’m iffy on this. It been awhile since I watched Dark than Black, so I’m having trouble remembering but weren’t there other Contractors with lesser feats harming Hei?

I’m iffy on this. It been awhile since I watched Dark than Black, so I’m having trouble remembering but weren’t there other Contractors with lesser feats harming Hei?
Most of the Contractors Hei deals with ignore Durability to some extent, and they're feat's don't discredit his especially when he's stated to be one of the two strongest Contractors in the series along with Harvest, and he traded blows with Harvest left and right.

Also keep in mind Hei was killing armies of Contractors before he got his powers in the wars.

I have to disagree for three reasons.

First, this shouldn't be subatomic destruction, but at most atomization. Electron stuff deals with quants, yes, but subatomic destruction requires the disassembly of the nucleus of atoms i.e. the protons and neutrons.
They cut the connections of electrons according to the scan provided in the calc, which would equate to severing the electron bonds which equates to atomization (at most). However, the scan also states that it cuts the electron bonds between molecules, not atoms. Separating the bonds between molecules is what vaporization does.

Second, this is an attack specifically performed by two people resonating their power as Hei puts it. A scientist explains that them colliding head on is what causes the electrons to behave in an unknown way and that they specifically can't be allowed to fight each other. Basically, this is supposed to be far more destructive than both of them individually and attributing half of that power to either of them is wrong. That is well supported by Hei having no other feat on that scale and in fact later on (chapter 22 & 23) struggling pretty hard to disassemble even one bullet.

Third, generally, is the manga even canon?

I have to disagree for three reasons.

First, this shouldn't be subatomic destruction, but at most atomization. Electron stuff deals with quants, yes, but subatomic destruction requires the disassembly of the nucleus of atoms i.e. the protons and neutrons.
They cut the connections of electrons according to the scan provided in the calc, which would equate to severing the electron bonds which equates to atomization (at most). However, the scan also states that it cuts the electron bonds between molecules, not atoms. Separating the bonds between molecules is what vaporization does.
What holds electrons together are Electromagnetic Forces. Electrons are kept in the orbit around the nucleus by the electromagnetic force, not atoms. and electrons are connected directly to the nucleus of the atom, and that's only applicable to Harvest, Hei's ability effects electrons directly without having to cut connections. Hei's sister Bai, who was the same ability as Hei was able to cause destruction on an electron level. And the same scientists later confirmed they're controlling electrons directly. And for the result it's definitely not vaporization, as Harvest can deconstruct gas and such back into it's basic components, and gas isn't something that can be "vaporized.", Harvest was also deleting sections of space itself.
Second, this is an attack specifically performed by two people resonating their power as Hei puts it. A scientist explains that them colliding head on is what causes the electrons to behave in an unknown way and that they specifically can't be allowed to fight each other. Basically, this is supposed to be far more destructive than both of them individually and attributing half of that power to either of them is wrong. That is well supported by Hei having no other feat on that scale and in fact later on (chapter 22 & 23) struggling pretty hard to disassemble even one bullet.
They fight each other multiple times in the Manga and, and the reaction itself is pretty much irrelevant whenever it's a direct result of the two of their abilities clashing and they withstood the impact due to being the the epicenter of the explosion.

And saying that Hei doesn't have anymore feats is wrong, namely due to the Tokyo Explosion and the South America feat, so saying that he doesn't have feats on this level is incorrect when he has about 3.

Hei never struggled with deconstructing the bullet, he was extremely damaged from a Beat down and never used the ability before, later on he reverses Harvest's own ability to deconstruct back at him, the bullet feat was relatively early on in the series so Hei was inexperienced with that application. The process of him deconstructing the gunpowder was done pretty easily actually, the issue was more along the lines of him being tired and inexperienced with that particular ability.

Heck, even Harvest stated that he could deconstruct the entire world with the same object that gave Hei his 5-A feat.
Third, generally, is the manga even canon?
Yeah the manga is set right after the first season then afterwards Season 2 happens.

Last edited:
What holds electrons together are Electromagnetic Forces, not atoms and electrons are connected directly to the nucleus of the atom, and that's only applicable to Harvest, Hei's ability effects electrons directly without having to cut connections.
Nothing holds electrons together. Electrons are quants.

Yes, they're abilities affect electrons, but affecting electrons doesn't make it subatomic destruction. The subatomic destruction value comes from splitting the nucleus, which made from protons and neutrons, not electrons. If you don't split the nucleus, then you can't use the subatomic destruction value.

They fight each other multiple times in the Manga and, and the reaction itself is pretty much irrelevant whenever it's a direct result of the two of their abilities clashing and they withstood the impact due to being the the epicenter of the explosion.
They can withstand each other's powers only through their abilities. The very same abilities are resonating and boosting each other here. So they managed to block the boosted decomposition caused by their resonating powers, using their resonating powers.

So, boosted people performing boosted feats. It shouldn't scale to their base strengths.

And saying that Hei doesn't have anymore feats is wrong, namely due to the Tokyo Explosion and the South America feat, so saying that he doesn't have feats on this level is incorrect when he has about 3.
Feats he does while boosted aren't really relevant feats to support his base power.

Hei never struggled with deconstructing the bullet, he was extremely damaged from a Beat down and never used the ability before, later on he reverses Harvest's own ability to deconstruct back at him, the bullet feat was relatively early on in the series so Hei was inexperienced with that application. The process of him deconstructing the gunpowder was done pretty easily actually, the issue was more along the lines of him being tired and inexperienced with that particular ability.
It was indicated that he had to concentrate hard. And there is probably a reason he never uses the ability again afterwards and why he never disintegrates humans or anything larger.

And Hei reversed Harvest's power while, IIRC, both of them were boosted by a meteor shard. So that wasn't base Hei. We know that with the shard Hei can go South America nuke levels.

Yeah the manga is set right after the first season then afterwards Season 2 happens.
That... doesn't mean it is canon. Usually, canon stuff should either be made by the same people or there should be some statement that it is canon.

Nothing holds electrons together. Electrons are quants.
This isn't true, the bonds that hold electrons together is done via electromagnetic forces, as I linked above to which you seemingly ignored. Also didn't you just contradict yourself? You said above that molecules are what holds them together, now your saying nothing holds them together? With all due respect you need to pick one argument and stick to it.
Yes, they're abilities affect electrons, but affecting electrons doesn't make it subatomic destruction. The subatomic destruction value comes from splitting the nucleus, which made from protons and neutrons, not electrons. If you don't split the nucleus, then you can't use the subatomic destruction value.
Harvest is directly causing electrons to deconstruct, which would include the nucleus. Protons, Neutrons and Electrons are all part of the same group as leptons, all of them are comparable in size. If they're deconstructed this would in turn deconstruct the nucleus.
They can withstand each other's powers only through their abilities. The very same abilities are resonating and boosting each other here. So they managed to block the boosted decomposition caused by their resonating powers, using their resonating powers.
That's not necessarily true either, the resonating aspect is what forms the explosion itself, it has nothing to do with them tanking the explosion itself, as Hei wasn't actively utilizing his electricity armor and Harvest wasn't using his Deconstruction armor. They're abilities don't negate the KE of explosions either, they caused an explosion by resonating their powers and then they took the explosion point blank.

Hei's ability allows him to slow the decomposition of things, this in turn wouldn't render the KE of an explosion null for obviously reason. Their powers were the catalyst of the explosion, their durability on the other hand wouldn't be reliant on their abilities as Harvest can be affected by his own ability.
So, boosted people performing boosted feats. It shouldn't scale to their base strengths.
I'd have to agree with you normally but this is different, they took the KE of the explosion point blank with no armor that would help them out. (Electricity in Hei's case and Deconstruction in Harvest's case.) so their durability would scale, and they can harm each other physically.
Feats he does while boosted aren't really relevant feats to support his base power.
I never said feats done with the Meteor Fragment scales to their normal potency, however it is still evidence that these types of feats do indeed exist within the verse.
It was indicated that he had to concentrate hard.
It's never stated that he needs to concentrate hard, to be frank you added in the last part for the dramatic effect. And concentrating =/= struggling, I need to concentrate while driving and working machinery that doesn't mean I'm struggling.
And there is probably a reason he never uses the ability again afterwards and why he never disintegrates humans or anything larger.
He can't deconstruct actual living organisms this one is explained actually. He doesn't use that part again because he's never put in that type of situation again aside from when he did the same thing against Harvest by reversing his matter Manipulation to make Harvest deconstruct himself.

Also the size is irrelevant given that he affects the external's to achieve this, not by affecting the outer shell. And as I said before he isn't effecting the bullet itself but rather the gunpowder inside of said bullet.
And Hei reversed Harvest's power while, IIRC, both of them were boosted by a meteor shard. So that wasn't base Hei. We know that with the shard Hei can go South America nuke levels.
The Meteorite Power Amplification is also dependent on the Contractors abilities themselves, hence why Contractors like Abigail and Perche didn't receive any notable upgrades, the Meteor Fragment doesn't grant new powers or sub sets of powers, everything they show while using the Fragment is something they can do normally albeit to a much lesser extent.
That... doesn't mean it is canon. Usually, canon stuff should either be made by the same people or there should be some statement that it is canon.
The anime and manga are both written by Tensai Okamura and The manga is set one year after the events of season one. The reason why I didn't outright state this is because I was underneath the assumption that you knew this already as I thought you with familiar with the series.

Last edited:
Damn Darker than black... back then these were the Classics of pfps. i'll stop derailing.
Your Creepypasta crush! - Quiz

46 Darker Than Black ideas | dark, anime, manga anime

Also the best scientist in the verse outright states that Hei's electricity alters and manipulates shit on a quantum level. Harvest's ability is essentially the same Manipulation that Hei uses but his is used for outright destruction.

The statements of cutting eletrons bonds was made by a scientist who's knowledge in canon is below that of the guy who made the quantum statements and studied both Hei's and Harvest's powers during the war, confirming them to be quantum level in nature.

There's no reason why something much bigger than eletrons (atoms.) would be what holds them together. (Atoms are many times smaller than electrons.) whenever they have no spatial expansion while Atoms do. Something bigger than the source wouldn't be able to hold said matter together unless it was smaller to begin with.

Last edited:
I've looked this up on basically any website that came from searching this, and they all state that electrons are a component of atoms. In addition, this power works at the quantum level as stated before, which is even smaller than the atomic level. Lastly, sub-atomization is described in the calculations page as "the energy necessary to destroy all atoms in a substance, by separating the particles in their nucleus." I believe this would qualify, as you're separating the electrons by cutting their connections.

And from what my memory serves, electrons are both smaller and have much less mass than compared to the nucleus of an atom as electrons are what make up atoms themselves along with other sub atomic level particles.

Protons and neutrons that make up the nucleus are on the other hand composite particles as defined in the Standard Model, and they do have spatial extension. Of course, these are made up of quarks, antiquarks, and gluons, (contrary to popular belief not just three, those are the valence quarks only), but in reality a sea of quarks, antiquarks and gluons.

So based on this, it would not be correct to say that the nucleus, a composite particle, is smaller then the electron, a point particle, with no spatial extension. Reference here

Last edited:
FINALLY, one of my favorite verses will get legitimate ratings instead of random unsubstantiated ratings coming literally out of nowhere.

I won't comment on the calculations, as I am not an expert on calculations or the topics being discussed by any means. However, the arguments Gin is making do make sense to me personally.

I also agree with Gin about the outlier argument. Assuming the calcs are correct, I agree with them scaling to them.

Natural, leaning towards disagree… me personally I can see a lot of problems with it. I guess I’m might not be knowledgeable in the show but to me it sound like what they state might now be the same as real life 🤔🤷‍♂️ But I’ll remain neutral because don’t have enough information

I've looked this up on basically any website that came from searching this, and they all state that electrons are a component of atoms. In addition, this power works at the quantum level as stated before, which is even smaller than the atomic level. Lastly, sub-atomization is described in the calculations page as "the energy necessary to destroy all atoms in a substance, by separating the particles in their nucleus." I believe this would qualify, as you're separating the electrons by cutting their connections.
This isn't true, the bonds that hold electrons together is done via electromagnetic forces, as I linked above to which you seemingly ignored. Also didn't you just contradict yourself? You said above that molecules are what holds them together, now your saying nothing holds them together? With all due respect you need to pick one argument and stick to it.
It sounds like you guys don't really understand the composition of matter or of the bonds/forces holding it together.

Since I'm pretty busy currently I didn't want to write long posts, buuuut how could I pass up the chance to take someone on a wonderful enlightening journey to expand their very understanding of reality itself?

So fasten your seatbelts and warm up your brain it's time for
d3vQkM1.png
I will start with lots of stuff that you probably know, but I imagine it will get interesting in the second part.
So let's first talk about what matter is composed of and come to what holds it together later.

We are going to use salt water as our example here.
So, as the name states, salt water is a mixture of salt and water. So it isn't a single pure chemical substance but made up of two. Salt and water are pure substances on the other hand.
In general, most everyday things are mixtures. Air is for instance a mixture made up primarily of oxygen and nitrogen mixed together.

Salt and water are pure substances. What do I mean with 'pure' here? Well, all substances are made up of tiny little things called molecules. Mixtures, like salt water, are generally made up of many different kinds of those molecules, while pure substances, like salt or water separately, are made up of only one kind of molecule. That's the difference.
So a mixture can be split up into multiple pure substances and those pure substances can be split up into many many molecules.

So what is a molecule? Well, molecules are in turn made up of little particles, which are atoms, bonded together. Every molecule has a chemical formula that states which atoms it is made from. Salt, for example, is NaCl. The Na stands for Sodium and the Cl stands for Chloride. So salt is a molecule that is made from one Sodium atom and one Chloride atom. Water is H20. The H stands for Hydrogen and the little 2 means that there are 2 atoms of it inside the molecule. The O stands for Oxygen, of which there is just one. So a water molecule is made from 1 Oxygen atom and 2 Hydrogen atoms.

Now, there are a lot of molecules, but in comparison only very few atoms. Which atoms there are can be found in the periodic table:
4zde7jt.png
Here we for example find H with the number one, O with the number 8 etc. Those numbers have significance, but we will get to that later. But as you see there are about 118 currently known atoms.

So, what are atoms made from then? Well, for that let's turn to Rutherford's atomic model. It's not the most accurate model, but it suffices for our purposes and avoids quantum mechanics. (I always try to avoid quantum mechanics... nothing is easy with it)
1S1zCAc.png
As one can see in this model, an atom is (usually) composed of one or more electrons orbiting a nucleus. The electrons are elementary particles and as such can't be further divided or split. They are simply not made up of anything else.
The same however doesn't go for the nucleus.
tKGpMw8.png
The nucleus can further be divided into neutrons and protons. The protons are in fact what decides which kind of atom the particle is. I said the numbers in the periodic table are significant and those are what they represent. That oxygen has the number 8 in the periodic table means that it has 8 protons in its nucleus.
The number of Neutrons on the other hand can vary even in the same kind of atom. Some have more, some have less.
As for the number of electrons: Usually, an atom will have the same amount of electrons as protons. Usually, Hydrogen will have 1 Proton and also 1 Electron. However, there are exceptions to that and they are by far not rare.

There was the question what the mass/weight of the nucleus is. As we can see from the above, there can't be a clear answer as the nucleus is made up of varying amounts of things and hence has different amounts of mass/weight. However, we can say how much mass a proton and neutron have. A proton has a mass of 1.672*10^-27 kg and a neutron has a mass of 1.674*10^-27 kg. So protons or neutrons are about 1835 times heavier than electrons and a nucleus can be made up of multiple of those.

Anyway, are we done? No! This is all that will be relevant to our debate, but for the sake of completeness let me mention that the Proton and the Neutron can also be further split into smaller particles. The Proton can be split into 2 up quarks and 1 down quark. The Neutron can be split into 1 up quark and 2 down quarks. Those up and down quarks are elementary particles and hence can also not be further divided or split.

To summarize: Objects are mixtures of pure substances, Pure substances are made up of many identical molecules, Molecules are made up of various atoms, Atoms are made from electrons orbiting a nucleus, the Nucleus is made from Protons and Neutrons, and Protons and Neutrons are made from Up and Down Quarks.

Alright, so with this we know what matter is composed of. Now let's get to the question: What stops it from simply falling apart?

With that, we need to start at the level of molecules. Molecules are separate things, but there are forces between them that bind them together. An example for such a force would be the Van der Waals force. These kinds of forces holding molecules together are basically what makes it difficult to split apart any kind of substance difficult. If you, for example, break a piece of wood in two then you are not splitting molecules, but only overcome the forces that held them together. The energy you use up in the process is the energy necessary to overcome those binding forces.
Now, there are multiple kinds of these forces and I won't even try to list and explain all of them. However, feel free to look up how they work, you will generally find that they have something to do with electrons and electromagnetic forces. That makes sense, as the electrons are basically the most outward parts of the atoms that make up the molecules.
To show how electrons may participate let me bring up the subject of polar bonds. To return to our example: Water is a substance held together by polar bonds. In water molecules the oxygen ends up negatively charged, while the hydrogen atoms end up slightly positively charged. As we know, positively charged things attract negatively charged things and the other way around. Hence, when you have lots of water molecules, the oxygen atoms from one molecule will be attracted to the hydrogen atoms of another water molecule, by that making that stick together. That is what holds water together and makes it so that it, at the usual temperatures, is a liquid instead of a gas.
But what had the polar bonds to do with electrons now? To answer that we first have to go one step further: To the bonds between atoms.

Now, let me tell you a secret: For one reason or another all atoms would like to 2 or 10 or 18... electrons in total (Or 8 electrons in its outer shell as it's usually put). Electrons like to bond in a fashion that that is accomplished.
One of the most common bonds are covalent bonds or electron-pair bonds as they are sometimes called. In a covalent bond, two atoms share their electrons in a fashion that the shared electrons somehow count for both. They always share in pairs, each atom contributing 1 electron to the pair. By sharing that way they are bound together and become harder to separate. One can (purely figuratively) think of the shared pair of electrons like a band that ties them together.
Water is one of the cases where covalent bonds bind the molecule together. Oxygen usually has 8 electrons, but would like to have 10. Hydrogen usually has 1 electron, but would like to have 2. So what do they do? Well, each Hydrogen atom pairs up their electron with one electron from the Oxygen atom. That way, the electron the Oxygen contributed counts for them too, so that it is as if they had 2 electrons. Meanwhile, do the electrons that the Hydrogens contributed to the two electron pairs that the Oxygen now has also to the Oxygens electrons. Hence it is as if it had 10 electrons. So all atoms got into their desired state.

However, some atoms just pull on the electrons a little harder than other (that property is called its electronegativity). The Oxygen atom is one that pulls harder than the Hydrogen. Hence, it gains a little more of the shared electrons than the Hydrogen does.
Now, remember that electrons are negatively charged particles. If the electrons in the pairs are split evenly the charge remains neutral, but if one atom attracts more of the electrons than the others, than it also gets more of their negative charge and hence itself becomes negatively charged. That is what Oxygen does. The Hydrogen, which got less of the electrons in the pairs, in turn gets a positive charge by the same amount. That's how the charge happens, which creates the polar bonds in water, that we talked about earlier. Now we see how the electrons of the atoms, and the electromagnetic forces that cause the attraction between differently charge particles, are responsible for molecular bonds.
At the same time, we have also seen one kind of bond between atoms.

Let me mention a second bond between electrons: An ionic bond. An example of a molecule that is held together by an ionic bond is salt. Once again, the atoms try to reach a state in which they have 2,10,18... electrons. A reminder: Salt is NaCl. Na, i.e. Sodium, has 11 protons and hence also usually 11 electrons. Chloride has 17 protons and hence, usually, also 17 electrons. Now, getting 7 additional electrons via covalent bonds would be difficult for Sodium (Na). It would be much easier if it could just get rid of 1 of its electrons to get 10. Meanwhile, Chloride would really like to have 1 more electron, to get to 18 electrons. So, what do they do? Well, Sodium simply donates 1 electron to Chloride. That way they are both satisfied. However, since Sodium lost one electron, it also lost a negative charge. It had a neutral charge before, so after losing one it would have a positive charge. Meanwhile, the Chloride gained one electron and with it a negative charge. So we now have one positively charged particle and one negatively charged particle. What happens? Well, they attract each other due to electrical (/electromagnetic) forces of course, since different charges attract each other!
So, once again, electron behaviour is responsible for binding the atoms together.

There are more types of bonds, but I won't get into them here. What should be noted is that electrons and electromagnetic interactions are responsible for the bonds between atoms and between molecules.

Now we have an idea what holds multiple molecules together and what holds multiple atoms together. Next let's ask: What prevents atoms from falling apart?
Well, first we have the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons orbiting it. What holds those together is immediately clear: They have different charges, so they attract each other! Good old electromagnetism.

It gets more interesting when we ask what holds the nucleus together. The nucleus is made up of neutrons and possible multiple protons. No electrons to be found. If we look at electromagnetic forces, then it should immediately blow apart. The positively charged protons repel each other after all. So we need a new kind of force to hold them together.
That force is the strong nuclear force (or more generally the strong interaction). This force makes it so that protons and neutrons attract each other so that they hold together. As wikipedia states:
In nuclear physics and particle physics, the strong interaction is one of the four known fundamental interactions, with the others being electromagnetism, the weak interaction, and gravitation. At the range of 10^−15 m (slightly more than the radius of a nucleon), the strong force is approximately 137 times as strong as electromagnetism, 10^6 times as strong as the weak interaction, and 10^38 times as strong as gravitation.​
Due to being much stronger in the nucleus than electromagnetism, this force can hold the protons and neutrons together, despite the protons repelling each other by electromagnetism.

For completeness sake, let me say that this same strong interaction is also what holds the quarks that make up the protons and neutrons themself together.

What is noteworthy here is that when it comes to the nucleus and it holding together, electrons and electromagnetism aren't really involved at all. Electons aren't even present. It's the strong nuclear force/strong interaction that does all the work.

So, with all of that explained, let's return to our debate. As said, this scan explains that he is severing the connections of electrons which are responsible for tying molecules together. So, by the above discussion, which kind of bond does this point to being severed?
The most obvious choice would be things like the polar bonds or similar intermolecular bonds. As we have seen, this type of bonds is based on the behaviour of electrons and binds molecules together. A perfect fit!
However, one could also argue that what we see happening in the manga fits more to even molecules being split. If so, the most obvious choice would be covalent bonds or ionic bonds. Covalent bonds in particular are basically two electrons being connected, in the form of an electron pair. Cutting that pair apart would sever the connection and by that separate the atoms, causing the material to dissolve. Also a pretty good fit.
What however would be a terrible fit is splitting the nucleus apart. It's molecules that are mention and electrons that are affected. However, the nucleus is just a small part of molecules and it doesn't contain any electrons whatsoever. The electrons aren't involved in its bonding either. That does the strong interaction. As such, splitting the nucleus apart doesn't fit the description in any way or form.

So it's either intermolecular bonds (e.g. polar bonds, or Van der Waals forces) being separated or bonds between atoms (e.g. covalent bonds) being split. Which destruction values does that equal to?
Well, the former intermolecular bond separating is somewhat difficult to classify. It would most closely resemble vaporisation, as a gas has only very weak intermolecular forces. However, technically it might be a little higher. Quantifying that would be a little difficult I think.
As for the severing of the bonds between atoms: Well, that is simply atomization. The molecules get separated into its atoms, but the atoms remain whole. In particular, their nucleus isn't split.
What is currently used, subatomic destruction, requires the splitting of the nucleus. That is the premise for calculating that value, as the value is based on overcoming the strong interaction to split it. Again, that is not what is happening, so that value can't be used.

(btw., just for future reference, since this is anything but a regular explosion you can't use the 0.25*diameter thing for crater depth here)

It sounds like you guys don't really understand the composition of matter or of the bonds/forces holding it together.

Since I'm pretty busy currently I didn't want to write long posts, buuuut how could I pass up the chance to take someone on a wonderful enlightening journey to expand their very understanding of reality itself?

d3vQkM1.png
I will start with lots of stuff that you probably know, but I imagine it will get interesting in the second part.
So let's first talk about what matter is composed of and come to what holds it together later.

So, as the name states, salt water is a mixture of salt and water. So it isn't a single pure chemical substance but made up of two. Salt and water are pure substances on the other hand.
In general, most everyday things are mixtures. Air is for instance a mixture made up primarily of oxygen and nitrogen mixed together.

Salt and water are pure substances. What do I mean with 'pure' here? Well, all substances are made up of tiny little things called molecules. Mixtures, like salt water, are generally made up of many different kinds of those molecules, while pure substances, like salt or water separately, are made up of only one kind of molecule. That's the difference.
So a mixture can be split up into multiple pure substances and those pure substances can be split up into many many molecules.

So what is a molecule? Well, molecules are in turn made up of little particles, which are atoms, bonded together. Every molecule has a chemical formula that states which atoms it is made from. Salt, for example, is NaCl. The Na stands for Sodium and the Cl stands for Chloride. So salt is a molecule that is made from one Sodium atom and one Chloride atom. Water is H20. The H stands for Hydrogen and the little 2 means that there are 2 atoms of it inside the molecule. The O stands for Oxygen, of which there is just one. So a water molecule is made from 1 Oxygen atom and 2 Hydrogen atoms.

Now, there are a lot of molecules, but in comparison only very few atoms. Which atoms there are can be found in the periodic table:
4zde7jt.png
Here we for example find H with the number one, O with the number 8 etc. Those numbers have significance, but we will get to that later. But as you see there are about 118 currently known atoms.

So, what are atoms made from then? Well, for that let's turn to Rutherford's atomic model. It's not the most accurate model, but it suffices for our purposes and avoids quantum mechanics. (I always try to avoid quantum mechanics... nothing is easy with it)
1S1zCAc.png
As one can see in this model, an atom is (usually) composed of one or more electrons orbiting a nucleus. The electrons are elementary particles and as such can't be further divided or split. They are simply not made up of anything else.
tKGpMw8.png
The nucleus can further be divided into neutrons and protons. The protons are in fact what decides which kind of atom the particle is. I said the numbers in the periodic table are significant and those are what they represent. That oxygen has the number 8 in the periodic table means that it has 8 protons in its nucleus.
The number of Neutrons on the other hand can vary even in the same kind of atom. Some have more, some have less.
As for the number of electrons: Usually, an atom will have the same amount of electrons as protons. Usually, Hydrogen will have 1 Proton and also 1 Electron. However, there are exceptions to that and they are by far not rare.

There was the question what the mass/weight of the nucleus is. As we can see from the above, there can't be a clear answer as the nucleus is made up of varying amounts of things and hence has different amounts of mass/weight. However, we can say how much mass a proton and neutron have. A proton has a mass of 1.672*10^-27 kg and a neutron has a mass of 1.674*10^-27 kg. So protons or neutrons are about 1835 times heavier than electrons and a nucleus can be made up of multiple of those.

Anyway, are we done? No! This is all that will be relevant to our debate, but for the sake of completeness let me mention that the Proton and the Neutron can also be further split into smaller particles. The Proton can be split into 2 up quarks and 1 down quark. The Neutron can be split into 1 up quark and 2 down quarks. Those up and down quarks are elementary particles and hence can also not be further divided or split.

To summarize: Objects are mixtures of pure substances, Pure substances are made up of many identical molecules, Molecules are made up of various atoms, Atoms are made from electrons orbiting a nucleus, the Nucleus is made from Protons and Neutrons, and Protons and Neutrons are made from Up and Down Quarks.

Alright, so with this we know what matter is composed of. Now let's get to the question: What stops it from simply falling apart?

With that, we need to start at the level of molecules. Molecules are separate things, but there are forces between them that bind them together. An example for such a force would be the Van der Waals force. These kinds of forces holding molecules together are basically what makes it difficult to split apart any kind of substance difficult. If you, for example, break a piece of wood in two then you are not splitting molecules, but only overcome the forces that held them together. The energy you use up in the process is the energy necessary to overcome those binding forces.
Now, there are multiple kinds of these forces and I won't even try to list and explain all of them. However, feel free to look up how they work, you will generally find that they have something to do with electrons and electromagnetic forces. That makes sense, as the electrons are basically the most outward parts of the atoms that make up the molecules.
To show how electrons may participate let me bring up the subject of polar bonds. To return to our example: Water is a substance held together by polar bonds. In water molecules the oxygen ends up negatively charged, while the hydrogen atoms end up slightly positively charged. As we know, positively charged things attract negatively charged things and the other way around. Hence, when you have lots of water molecules, the oxygen atoms from one molecule will be attracted to the hydrogen atoms of another water molecule, by that making that stick together. That is what holds water together and makes it so that it, at the usual temperatures, is a liquid instead of a gas.
But what had the polar bonds to do with electrons now? To answer that we first have to go one step further: To the bonds between atoms.

Now, let me tell you a secret: For one reason or another all atoms would like to 2 or 10 or 18... electrons in total (Or 8 electrons in its outer shell as it's usually put). Electrons like to bond in a fashion that that is accomplished.
One of the most common bonds are covalent bonds or electron-pair bonds as they are sometimes called. In a covalent bond, two atoms share their electrons in a fashion that the shared electrons somehow count for both. They always share in pairs, each atom contributing 1 electron to the pair. By sharing that way they are bound together and become harder to separate. One can (purely figuratively) think of the shared pair of electrons like a band that ties them together.
Water is one of the cases where covalent bonds bind the molecule together. Oxygen usually has 8 electrons, but would like to have 10. Hydrogen usually has 1 electron, but would like to have 2. So what do they do? Well, each Hydrogen atom pairs up their electron with one electron from the Oxygen atom. That way, the electron the Oxygen contributed counts for them too, so that it is as if they had 2 electrons. Meanwhile, do the electrons that the Hydrogens contributed to the two electron pairs that the Oxygen now has also to the Oxygens electrons. Hence it is as if it had 10 electrons. So all atoms got into their desired state.

However, some atoms just pull on the electrons a little harder than other (that property is called its electronegativity). The Oxygen atom is one that pulls harder than the Hydrogen. Hence, it gains a little more of the shared electrons than the Hydrogen does.
Now, remember that electrons are negatively charged particles. If the electrons in the pairs are split evenly the charge remains neutral, but if one atom attracts more of the electrons than the others, than it also gets more of their negative charge and hence itself becomes negatively charged. That is what Oxygen does. The Hydrogen, which got less of the electrons in the pairs, in turn gets a positive charge by the same amount. That's how the charge happens, which creates the polar bonds in water, that we talked about earlier. Now we see how the electrons of the atoms, and the electromagnetic forces that cause the attraction between differently charge particles, are responsible for molecular bonds.

Let me mention a second bond between electrons: An ionic bond. An example of a molecule that is held together by an ionic bond is salt. Once again, the atoms try to reach a state in which they have 2,10,18... electrons. A reminder: Salt is NaCl. Na, i.e. Sodium, has 11 protons and hence also usually 11 electrons. Chloride has 17 protons and hence, usually, also 17 electrons. Now, getting 7 additional electrons via covalent bonds would be difficult for Sodium (Na). It would be much easier if it could just get rid of 1 of its electrons to get 10. Meanwhile, Chloride would really like to have 1 more electron, to get to 18 electrons. So, what do they do? Well, Sodium simply donates 1 electron to Chloride. That way they are both satisfied. However, since Sodium lost one electron, it also lost a negative charge. It had a neutral charge before, so after losing one it would have a positive charge. Meanwhile, the Chloride gained one electron and with it a negative charge. So we now have one positively charged particle and one negatively charged particle. What happens? Well, they attract each other due to electrical (/electromagnetic) forces of course, since different charges attract each other!
So, once again, electron behaviour is responsible for binding the atoms together.

There are more types of bonds, but I won't get into them here. What should be noted is that electrons and electromagnetic interactions are responsible for the bonds between atoms and between molecules.

Now we have an idea what holds multiple molecules together and what holds multiple atoms together. Next let's ask: What prevents atoms from falling apart?
Well, first we have the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons orbiting it. What holds those together is immediately clear: They have different charges, so they attract each other! Good old electromagnetism.

It gets more interesting when we ask what holds the nucleus together. The nucleus is made up of neutrons and possible multiple protons. No electrons to be found. If we look at electromagnetic forces, then it should immediately blow apart. The positively charged protons repel each other after all. So we need a new kind of force to hold them together.
That force is the strong nuclear force (or more generally the strong interaction). This force makes it so that protons and neutrons attract each other so that they hold together. As wikipedia states:

Due to being much stronger in the nucleus than electromagnetism, this force can hold the protons and neutrons together, despite the protons repelling each other by electromagnetism.

For completeness sake, let me say that this same strong interaction is also what holds the quarks that make up the protons and neutrons themself together.

What is noteworthy here is that when it comes to the nucleus and it holding together, electrons and electromagnetism aren't really involved at all. Electons aren't even present. It's the strong nuclear force/strong interaction that does all the work.

So, with all of that explained, let's return to our debate. As said, this scan explains that he is severing the connections of electrons which are responsible for tying molecules together. So, by the above discussion, which kind of bond does this point to being severed?
The most obvious choice would be things like the polar bonds or similar intermolecular bonds. As we have seen, this type of bonds is based on the behaviour of electrons and binds molecules together. A perfect fit!
However, one could also argue that what we see happening in the manga fits more to even molecules being split. If so, the most obvious choice would be covalent bonds or ionic bonds. Covalent bonds in particular are basically two electrons being connected, in the form of an electron pair. Cutting that pair apart would sever the connection and by that separate the atoms, causing the material to dissolve. Also a pretty good fit.
What however would be a terrible fit is splitting the nucleus apart. It's molecules that are mention and electrons that are affected. However, the nucleus is just a small part of molecules and it doesn't contain any electrons whatsoever. The electrons aren't involved in its bonding either. That does the strong interaction. As such, splitting the nucleus apart doesn't fit the description in any way or form.

So it's either intermolecular bonds (e.g. polar bonds, or Van der Waals forces) being separated or bonds between atoms (e.g. covalent bonds) being split. Which destruction values does that equal to?
Well, the former intermolecular bond separating is somewhat difficult to classify. It would most closely resemble vaporisation, as a gas has only very weak intermolecular forces. However, technically it might be a little higher. Quantifying that would be a little difficult I think.
As for the severing of the bonds between atoms: Well, that is simply atomization. The molecules get separated into its atoms, but the atoms remain whole. In particular, their nucleus isn't split.
What is currently used, subatomic destruction, requires the splitting of the nucleus. That is the premise for calculating that value, as the value is based on overcoming the strong interaction to split it. Again, that is not what is happening, so that value can't be used.

(btw., just for future reference, since this is anything but a regular explosion you can't use the 0.25*diameter thing for crater depth here)
Nerd

d3vQkM1.png

4zde7jt.png

1S1zCAc.png
tKGpMw8.png

What however would be a terrible fit is splitting the nucleus apart. It's molecules that a re mention and electrons that are affected. However, the nucleus is just a small part of molecules and it doesn't contain any electrons whatsoever. The electrons aren't involved in its bonding either. That does the strong interaction. As such, splitting the nucleus apart doesn't fit the description in any way or form.

Thx for teaching me the nucleus😁👍... I'm agreeing with Don'tTalk but still natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back