• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Clarifications needed on Yggdrasil (God of War)'s profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
So, a fair bit ago, this thread was made, in order to reupgrade Yggdrasil back to Low 1-C, after it had been downgraded down to 2-A in the wake of some discussion about whether it met the standards for Low 1-C

I didn't read through the former thread until after it had already been applied, but once I did that I noticed some justifications that I found... odd, to say the least. I was on the brink of reopening the thing and continuing the discussion there myself until I sat down to read Yggdrasil's profile and noticed some other things I found lacking in the reasoning, and which I'd want some clarification for. So, to start with:

There is this, which as evidenced by the name of the picture, is meant to be used as evidence for Yggdrasil perceiving all of the nine realms as infinitesimal points within itself. I don't think I need to explain what's wrong with this interpretation: Literally all this is saying is that Midgard is in the middle of the tree, and a quick overview of the common usage of the word "midpoint" in everyday vocabulary should tell you that it doesn't mean "This thing is a literal geometrical point that is located at the center of something."

With that out of the picture, we move on to the second batch of scans meant to support Low 1-C:

Which is equally without value. This is meant to fulfill this specific section of the Tiering System FAQ page, where it says that a higher-dimensional object is allowed to get an automatic high-tier if it holds some pre-established lower-dimensional realm as an infinitesimal part of itself:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Tiering System FAQ

For example: A cosmology where the entirety of our 3-dimensional universe is in fact a subset of a much greater 4-dimensional space, or generalizations of this same scenario to higher numbers of dimensions; i.e A cosmology where the four-dimensional spacetime continuum is just the infinitesimal surface of a 5-dimensional object, and etc.

This doesn't apply here, though, because that'd only be applicable to cases where the container in question has already been established as a higher-dimensional object beforehand, which is not the case with Yggdrasil, especially with the previous scan suggesting no such thing. Something can obviously contain something else as a part of itself without being one dimension higher than it; in fact, when it comes to infinitely-large spaces, you can have two infinite things, one being a subset of the other, and still have them be the same size.

And that fact, for the matter, makes this scan pretty moot, as well:

All it tells us is that Yggdrasil itself is infinite. Not that it's infinitely larger than the Nine Realms themselves. To also quote part of the previously linked thread's OP:

Because the branch is infinitely bigger than the realm then its mean the realm in Yggdrasil's perception is only a infinitesimall part of it, that also clarify the meaning of transcending in it, which transcending will mean a "higher plane" that encompassing the "lower plane" only as infinitesimall part of it

Even if all of the above was valid evidence for what is being proposed, that still doesn't mean Freya's statement about Yggdrasil's strands "transcending time, transcending space" is suddenly validified as evidence for Tier 1. Devoid of additional context, it can still simply mean Yggdrasil is not bound by any particular era or location (Since it is omnipresent across all of creation) and thus "transcends time and space" on that basis. That turn of phrase doesn't and has never been automatically taken to mean anything suggestive of Low 1-C.

Now, moving on:

Profile Issues​

First oddity I've noticed is the presence of Nonexistent Physiology on the profile. As it stands, it seems like it comes from this scan:

That's pretty bare-bones as justification for NEP. All this says is that Yggdrasil has no physical form. I assume the ability was given because its physical state is described as "existing," which then would make its true state "non-existing." Issue with that line of thought, however, is that it still doesn't suggest anything outside of basic Incorporeality: If you lack a physical form, then that means it is, in fact, not existent, since it's something you don't have to begin with.

Then there are these two scans:

This is a point which I'm not necessarily opposed to, so much as one where I'd ask for clarification: How exactly is this anything outside of Clairvoyance and/or Precognition? I'm not quite sure how the scans suggest anything else.

And, finally, I'd like to tackle these two tidbits:

The battle between Thor and the World Serpent, entities capable of ending the Nine Realms, was only able to cause extremely limited damage to the Tree of Life's physical form

Do not attempt to scale the Norse Gods to Yggdrasil based off of Thor and the World Serpent's fight "splintering" it. For one, splintering an object only refers to breaking a small piece off of its totality, which, while impressive, is not anywhere near a feat of affecting the entire tree. Second, the Giant Surtr, in his death blow that apparently consumed all of reality and ended even the Aesir Gods, explicitly did not affect Yggdrasil and was just serving its cycle of death and rebirth/beginning and end, as stated by Mimir. As such, it'd be highly unreliable to scale any Gods even to Yggdrasil's physical form.

So, to make things clear: Inflicting damage on a Low 1-C entity, regardless of how minimal, is still Low 1-C. So, as far as I can discern, either this is a huge outlier for Thor and Jormungandr, or it's an anti-feat for Yggdrasil that goes against the notion that it actually transcends the Nine Realms. Either way, it should be adjusted somehow.

Last edited:
We're currently waiting on Ragnarok to come out and elaborate on the splintering world tree feat before we make any concrete buffs for Thor, not to mention it could most likely be an outlier given other stronger characters have their best high end feats be around 2-C.

As for the NEP I agree it should be nuked, don't know why it was there in the first place.

It's probably best to wait a few months for this one, or maybe we could ask the devs? And the links seem dead to me for the NEP stuff, and a few other things so I can't say for that. But I think you make a lotta sense

But I always did have a problem with the handling of the splintering feat.

Nothing ever stated it was a small part of the tree. No clue where they got that one from.
Is it really even an outlier? Does a scan exist for Surtr destroying all of existence and Yggdrasil not being affected? Didn't Ymir do something similar where his guts flooded all of creation? And You have Kratos amping himself with it, and barely getting stronger.

I'm not saying Kratos and Friends are Low 1-C, well at least not now, just that the notes are odd.

I'm a dumbass but just curious, Should the Higher Dimensional existence be there? Is it enough to qualify for it by simply containing the well of destiny, which plays into your Midgard scan, again?

It's probably best to wait a few months for this one, or maybe we could ask the devs? And the links seem dead to me for the NEP stuff, and a few other things so I can't say for that. But I think you make a lotta sense

But I always did have a problem with the handling of the splintering feat.

Nothing ever stated it was a small part of the tree. No clue where they got that one from.
Is it really even an outlier? Does a scan exist for Surtr destroying all of existence and Yggdrasil not being affected? Didn't Ymir do something similar where his guts flooded all of creation? And You have Kratos amping himself with it, and barely getting stronger.

I'm not saying Kratos and Friends are Low 1-C, well at least not now, just that the notes are odd.
Yeah, the problem also being that Bruno Velasquez admitted that the splintering might not've been minor, but major.

Regardless, no matter how minor the damage, damaging such a structure would absolutely be whatever tier it is, and not a small aspect of it (Because it's holding multiple such structures), if it's 2-C for holding the realms, it'd be a 2-C feat straight out, if it is 2-A (Which it is at its lowest), 2-A, and if it's Low 1-C, it's straight up Low 1-C.

As for it being an outlier, we have multiple statements of the Pantheons being relative in power to each other and there's also Athena ascending to a higher level of existence and Kratos threatening to gape her with the BoO, so there's that. There's also the fact that this is a pretty significant feat in the Norse side of things that simply can't be ignored.

But yes, until Ragnarok comes out on November 9th this year to elaborate further on the tree, we're left completely in the dark here.

Yeah, the problem also being that Bruno Velasquez admitted that the splintering might not've been minor, but major.
Figured. The feat wouldn't have been a big deal, if it was minor. It's the whole reason The big snake got sent back in time and we see him in GOW 2018. Even Kratos didn't want to believe it
Regardless, no matter how minor the damage, damaging such a structure would absolutely be whatever tier it is, and not a small aspect of it (Because it's holding multiple such structures), if it's 2-C for holding the realms, it'd be a 2-C feat straight out, if it is 2-A (Which it is at its lowest), 2-A, and if it's Low 1-C, it's straight up Low 1-C.
True. I think at this point the Note should be removed. At least the "Small aspect" part.
As for it being an outlier, we have multiple statements of the Pantheons being relative in power to each other and there's also Athena ascending to a higher level of existence and Kratos threatening to gape her with the BoO, so there's that. There's also the fact that this is a pretty significant feat in the Norse side of things that simply can't be ignored.
I guess you could say the Norse Gods simply have a larger cosmology. The Olympians, their feats are all casual, and they grow stronger over time, meaning the original feats performers are all fodder. I mean Zeus and Kratos receive scaling from them, and there aren't 9 realms in the Greek verse.

But I guess when you factor in the Powers of Hope and fear, it would make some sense, as we don't really know how powerful they are

There's also Bruno straight up confirming that Zeus would pretty much gape Baldur,
............Gotta be a better way to phrase that. Although true. I can honestly tell. Baldur got his ass beat once that spell dropped, and he really wasn't as strong as Kratos. On top of the fact that Zeus has a lot of Hax, while Baldur doesn't.
that a fairer comparison would be Zeus vs Odin.
But yeah I saw this too. Makes a lot of sense.

............Gotta be a better way to phrase that.
It's just how I phrased it, in reality, he was asked a question regarding who is stronger between Zeus and Baldur, Bruno said "Zeus, no contest".

Although true. I can honestly tell. Baldur got his ass beat once that spell dropped, and he really wasn't as strong as Kratos.
Baldur was getting beat even with the spell, physically, he stood no chance against Rage Kratos, Kratos was getting shitcanned and then minutes later when he lets loose he's the one gaping Baldur all over. And remember, this Kratos no longer has any of his power-ups from GOW2 and 3 anymore, no Titan powers, no Hope, nothing. He's just a top-tier demigod like Hercules now.

It's just how I phrased it, in reality, he was asked a question regarding who is stronger between Zeus and Baldur, Bruno said "Zeus, no contest
No I saw that tweet. You said "Gape"

That uhhh... Well.... Nvm
Baldur was getting beat even with the spell, physically, he stood no chance against Rage Kratos, Kratos was getting shitcanned and then minutes later when he lets loose he's the one gaping Baldur all over. And remember, this Kratos no longer has any of his power-ups from GOW2 and 3 anymore, no Titan powers, no Hope, nothing. He's just a top-tier demigod like Hercules now.
He was getting bodied, but he seemed like he put up a better fight at the start of the game, and honestly this could be headcanon, but it seems like Kratos was holding back.

And you keep saying"Gaping" which makes me think you know what you're doing LMAO

No I saw that tweet. You said "Gape"

That uhhh... Well.... Nvm

He was getting bodied, but he seemed like he put up a better fight at the start of the game, and honestly this could be headcanon, but it seems like Kratos was holding back.
Yes, Kratos was holding back in the first stages of the fight but when he got knocked into the stone and Baldur threatened to go into the house, he finally gave in to his rage and well, things went south for Baldur on that point pretty ******* quickly.

And you keep saying"Gaping" which makes me think you know what you're doing LMAO
Yeah when I mean "gaping" I mean "bodying someone by literally punching a hole through their body or cleaving them in half horizontally" LOL, as in "big gaping hole" or some shit

Yes, Kratos was holding back in the first stages of the fight but when he got knocked into the stone and Baldur threatened to go into the house, he finally gave in to his rage and well, things went south for Baldur on that point pretty ******* quickly
Yeah, and as you noted this is an extremely watered down Kratos with no amps or anything like that, who slacked off for hundreds of years, just whooped the ass of a guy who just knocked out a being who along with his equal splintered a bare minimum 2-A structure in their fight, in 3 hits.

Crazy.
Yeah when I mean "gaping" I mean "bodying someone by literally punching a hole through their body or cleaving them in half horizontally" LOL, as in "big gaping hole" or some shit
I'll try to keep my dirty mind in check lol.

But yeah regardless of the verdict of this thread, I honestly smell some pretty big upgrades for the verse coming soon, The top - God tiers at least.

Does a scan exist for Surtr destroying all of existence and Yggdrasil not being affected?
AFAIK that's for Asgard only. And that's for the usual cycle of death and rebirth that he chooses to devote himself to since it's bigger than himself.

But Thor vs Jormi and Kratos arriving into the Norse pantheon has set thing off of balance pretty badly. So, who can say for certain?

Didn't Ymir do something similar where his guts flooded all of creation?
Not just that, it's also written down by Atreus in his journal that Ymir was the source of all creation as well, all lands and creatures, including the gods, come from his flesh.

Seriously tho.... we entire relied on discretion of mods to get it accepted. On surface the upgrade is fine.
Honestly mid point isn't even necessary, with how the multiverse is structure.

Each timeline has 9 space-times and there are infinite of them, and all of these are aspects of Ygg which transcends space-time. Seems good enough for upgrade to me.

I busy for now, so i can't give a long comment for this

But i think, thor and jhor should get upgrade because can effect Yggdrasil. Or they only effect Yggdrasil Physical form not the true form

And NEP is from Ginunangagap, because it only a cycle a part in Yggdrasil true form

From Ginunangagap all creation appear, All things life/proceed/work, and All creation end in Ragnarok, and rebirth again
"Its life energy interwoven into the tapestry of life.....birth, growth, death, and rebirth"

Seriously tho.... we entire relied on discretion of mods to get it accepted. On surface the upgrade is fine.
Honestly mid point isn't even necessary, with how the multiverse is structure.

Each timeline has 9 space-times and there are infinite of them, and all of these are aspects of Ygg which transcends space-time. Seems good enough for upgrade to me.
"Transcending space-time" has never been something that automatically grants Low 1-C without some more elaboration on what exactly it means in-context. It was removed from the profile before for this exact reason, in fact, and then readded without much of a discussion because of other things that, like I explained, don't really do much to support Low 1-C to begin with.

As I said, also, the current justification for Yggdrasil scaling to the infinite timelines of the verse is based on the Well of Fate being a part of it, but as far as I see, there is nothing in the relevant scans that suggests the Well literally contains the timelines that are observed through it. Seems to be more like a crystal ball than anything of that nature. Freya does say that "all of creation" is sustained by Yggdrasil, though, so I suppose you might use that to argue for it, but I find that statement a bit ambiguous, considering she could have been speaking in the context of the Nine Realms alone; Midgard being the center of Yggdrasil certainly wouldn't make sense if the tree also contains infinite instances of it and the other Nine Realms.

And NEP is from Ginunangagap, because it only a cycle a part in Yggdrasil true form

From Ginunangagap all creation appear, All things life/proceed/work, and All creation end in Ragnarok, and rebirth again
"Its life energy interwoven into the tapestry of life.....birth, growth, death, and rebirth"
Eh. Ginnungagap is never alluded to as being a part of Yggdrasil as the Nine Realms are, at all. Mimir only mentions it once, when he's telling the story of how Ymir came to be, and otherwise no connection is explicitly drawn between it and the World Tree (As far as I am aware, anyway. You can correct me on that matter).

As I said, also, the current justification for Yggdrasil scaling to the infinite timelines of the verse is based on the Well of Fate being a part of it, but as far as I see, there is nothing in the relevant scans that suggests the Well literally contains the timelines that are observed through it. Seems to be more like a crystal ball than anything of that nature.
Not true, the whole purpose of the card game is to stop Baldur from dying or else more alternate timelines keep forming.

It's further supported by Bruno Velazquez's confirmation, who not only confirms said premise of the card game, but also confirms that alternate times exist in the Greek Pantheon as well, especially with the whole "What if Ares won" scenario if you fail to save the Blade of the Gods from the Sisters of Fate.

Freya does say that "all of creation" is sustained by Yggdrasil, though, so I suppose you might use that to argue for it, but I find that statement a bit ambiguous, considering she could have been speaking in the context of the Nine Realms alone;
Doubt it, given that she also mentions the cycles of life, death and rebirth. Clearly means more than just the realms alone.

Last edited:
Not true, the whole purpose of the card game is to stop Baldur from dying or else more alternate timelines keep forming.

It's further supported by Bruno Velazquez's confirmation, who not only confirms said premise of the card game, but also confirms that alternate times exist in the Greek Pantheon as well.
Of course. I never denied that alternate timelines exist. What I am contesting is the idea that the Well of Fate physically contains them, which doesn't seem very supported by these scans.

Doubt it, given that she also mentions the cycles of life, death and rebirth. Clearly means more than just the realms alone.
Not sure how this would open a precedent for Yggdrasil encompassing the other timelines.

Of course. I never denied that alternate timelines exist. What I am contesting is the idea that the Well of Fate physically contains them, which doesn't seem very supported by these scans.
That's the thing, Bruno stated that to be a thing too.

Not sure how this would open a precedent for Yggdrasil encompassing the other timelines.
The cycles themselves are acknowledged to be of greater importance than the realms, as given with Surtur's reason of existence.

That's the thing, Bruno stated that to be a thing too.
Source?

The cycles themselves are acknowledged to be of greater importance than the realms, as given with Surtur's reason of existence.
That doesn't inherently mean Yggdrasil would encompass other timelines, given that, from is said above, all of that just refers to the realms being born, destroyed in Ragnarok, and then rebirthed anew, which doesn't need to involve other spacetimes. Made especially clear when taking into consideration what I've said in my previous post: Midgard being the center of Yggdrasil makes no sense if there are infinite other Midgards hanging around on it, too.

Here and here

That doesn't inherently mean Yggdrasil would encompass other timelines, given that, from is said above, all of that just refers to the realms being born, destroyed in Ragnarok, and then rebirthed anew, which doesn't need to involve other spacetimes.
The cycles themselves are considered to be of not much importance to the World Tree tho.

Made especially clear when taking into consideration what I've said in my previous post: Midgard being the center of Yggdrasil makes no sense if there are infinite other Midgards hanging around on it, too.
Given Bruno's answer above, it seems like he's hiding some more deets about this whole "center of Yggdrasil" proposition.

Either that or Mimir doesn't know the full story, given that Midgard was meant to be a figurative center of the unity of all the races.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back