• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Clarifications needed on Yggdrasil (God of War)'s profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. Ginnungagap is never alluded to as being a part of Yggdrasil as the Nine Realms are, at all. Mimir only mentions it once, when he's telling the story of how Ymir came to be, and otherwise no connection is explicitly drawn between it and the World Tree (As far as I am aware, anyway. You can correct me on that matter).
I mean Ginnungagap is only a part in the cycle of life, and that cycle is only a part in the Yggdrasil

Here

The cycles themselves are considered to be of not much importance to the World Tree tho.

Given Bruno's answer above, it seems like he's hiding some more deets about this whole "center of Yggdrasil" proposition.

Either that or Mimir doesn't know the full story, given that Midgard was meant to be a figurative center of the unity of all the races.
Tbf, Bruno only stated it is possible which is a far cry from being solid confirmation.

Also, from the looks of it, when you saw me that video, at the end of that video, it says reload check point? Any video games that has checkpoints/savepoints let you replay a certain point in the game if you died

Pretty sure that's just game mechanics
Yes, but it still counts as it is part of gameplay. That is something I can not ignore since it had been awhile since I remember anything GOW especially the older games.

No matter, as it is Kratos saving his past self from the interference by the Sisters of Fate and that is a singular timeline.

Also a entire cosmology structure containing alternative timelines doesn’t strictly means Low 1C necessarily
Not what I was trying to argue. It was mostly for a response against Ultima's query regarding whether the alternate timelines exist in Yggdrasil.

Via posting a video that didn’t happen in the main game.

Again, not the point, the point is that alternate timelines do exist where Kratos lost. It being a checkpoint has nothing to do with that. It was to debunk the notion that alternate timelines don't exist within Yggdrasil.

Again, not the point, the point is that alternate timelines do exist where Kratos lost. It being a checkpoint has nothing to do with that.
Yes, but the well of fate is technically part of Yggdrasil if we using this particular logic.

Yggdrasil contained these multiple timelines as well as other specific thing. Something I do find as reasonable.

Also it kinda is anyway.
But enough of that.

Also, it was in response to this User’s tweet with the same sources as the OP.

That's pretty bare-bones as justification for NEP. All this says is that Yggdrasil has no physical form. I assume the ability was given because its physical state is described as "existing," which then would make its true state "non-existing." Issue with that line of thought, however, is that it still doesn't suggest anything outside of basic Incorporeality: If you lack a physical form, then that means it is, in fact, not existent, since it's something you don't have to begin with.

Then there are these two scans:

This is a point which I'm not necessarily opposed to, so much as one where I'd ask for clarification: How exactly is this anything outside of Clairvoyance and/or Precognition? I'm not quite sure how the scans suggest anything else.

And, finally, I'd like to tackle these two tidbits:

So, to make things clear: Inflicting damage on a Low 1-C entity, regardless of how minimal, is still Low 1-C. So, as far as I can discern, either this is a huge outlier for Thor and Jormungandr, or it's an anti-feat for Yggdrasil that goes against the notion that it actually transcends the Nine Realms. Either way, it should be adjusted somehow.

Ya got ninja'd fam, I used that tweet in response to Ultima asking for the source.
Don’t really mind since it is the same source, but anyway, endless possibilities in the realm of mathematics is treated as countable infinity or finite.

With that theory too.

“For simplicity, assume that the universe of discourse Ω is a finite set. A possibility measure is a function
\operatorname {pos}
from
2^\Omega
to [0, 1] such that:

Axiom 1:
\operatorname {pos}(\varnothing )=0
Axiom 2:
\operatorname {pos}(\Omega )=1
Axiom 3:
\operatorname {pos}(U\cup V)=\max \left(\operatorname {pos}(U),\operatorname {pos}(V)\right)
for any disjoint subsets
U
and
V
It follows that, like probability, the possibility measure is determined by its behavior on singletons:”

It is true @Ultima_Reality was asking if the Well of Fate truly contains endless timelines which isn’t necessary.

You see one can argue that a single timeline can contain endless possibilities and therefore that singular timeline can been altered by any decisions made by any being.
A big one or a small plus the changes can been minor or major.

Don’t really mind since it is the same source, but anyway, endless possibilities in the realm of mathematics is treated as countable infinity or finite.

With that theory too.

“For simplicity, assume that the universe of discourse Ω is a finite set. A possibility measure is a function
\operatorname {pos}
from
2^\Omega
to [0, 1] such that:

Axiom 1:
\operatorname {pos}(\varnothing )=0
Axiom 2:
\operatorname {pos}(\Omega )=1
Axiom 3:
\operatorname {pos}(U\cup V)=\max \left(\operatorname {pos}(U),\operatorname {pos}(V)\right)
for any disjoint subsets
U
and
V
It follows that, like probability, the possibility measure is determined by its behavior on singletons:”

It is true @Ultima_Reality was asking if the Well of Fate truly contains endless timelines which isn’t necessary.

You see one can argue that a single timeline can contain endless possibilities and therefore that singular timeline can been altered by any decisions made by any being.
A big one or a small plus the changes can been minor or major.
Those alternate realities already exist as their own separate timeline tho, as I already stated, the entire point of the card game is to prevent Baldur from getting killed, or else new timelines keep spawning over and over again, like a branched timeline. That and Bruno's own words of alternate timelines already existing in the Greek Pantheon without requiring any branching, since he explicitly stated that for GOW3 to happen Kratos must undergo the exact same journey of going through Hades, getting back up, journeying to Mt. Etna, then to the Island of Creation and learning that Sparta got destroyed and that the Last Spartan died at his hands in order to unleash the Rage of the Titans, as per these links, however, Kratos completely uproots this loop by going back in time and shoving aside Zeus, thus saving Sparta and having already killed the Sisters of Fate completely, that and ridding his past self the need to even journey to the Island to begin with or obtain the Rage of the Titans because now the Last Spartan and all of Sparta are alive and untouched, Zeus being weakened by the BoO to do anything.

Last edited:
Those alternate realities already exist as their own separate timeline tho, as I already stated, the entire point of the card game is to prevent Baldur from getting killed, or else new timelines keep spawning over and over again, like a branched timeline. That and Bruno's own words of alternate timelines already existing in the Greek Pantheon without requiring any branching.
alternative timelines being contained in different universes is acceptable though.

What I mean is, those alternate timelines are not being contained within the actual universes AKA realms here.
As in you asserting that those alternative timelines not contained within the actual realms?
I not sure on that as that wasn’t necessarily on what being stated here and quite frankly, I am afraid that explanation isn’t that solid. Also the scan I posted did mentioned a Well too so we can not exclude that too.

As in you asserting that those alternative timelines not contained within the actual realms?
I not sure on that as that wasn’t necessarily on what being stated here and quite frankly, I am afraid that explanation isn’t that solid.
Based on what? There is nothing that states that those alternate timelines are contained within the realms (AKA alternate timeline Midgard within original Midgard) themselves, heck like Pariah said, Jormi being shot back into time already made an Alternate Timeline because the original timeline did not have Kratos in it as per Mimir's words that the prophecy didn't count on him in the first place.

Also the scan I posted did mentioned a Well too so we can not exclude that too.
Yes but it's not stated to be the Well of Destiny, nor is it used by the Nornir.

Based on what? There is nothing that states that those alternate timelines are contained within the realms (AKA alternate timeline Midgard within Midgard) themselves, heck like Pariah said, Jormi being shot back into time already made an Alternate Timeline because the original timeline did not have Kratos in it.

Yes but it's not stated to be the Well of Destiny.

There is also nothing stated it ain’t the Well of Fate though.

Last edited:

There is also nothing stated it ain’t the Well of Fate though.

That doesn't mean anything, because the Nornir don't use the Realm Travel Room.

Obi (Pariah) did say that Freya stated that the Realm Travel Room is the only way they can travel from one realm to another but I'll have to ask him again of the source

That doesn't mean anything, because the Nornir don't use the Realm Travel Room.

Obi (Pariah) did say that Freya stated that the Realm Travel Room is the only way they can travel from one realm to another but I'll have to ask him again of the source
Using WOG statements that supports what Freya does help though plus they mention Udr who is one of the Norns and three owl figures which one of them is Udr.

If you read the scans in its entirely, they mentioned Udr at the bottom and owl figures.

Using WOG statements that supports what Freya does help though plus they mention Udr who is one of the Norns and three owl figures which one of them is Udr.

If you read the scans in its entirely, they mentioned Udr at the bottom and owl figures.
The WOG statements only sort of support the endless timeline thing, they don't actually clarify whether that well in the Travel Room is the same one used by the Nornirs themselves even tho the well has their statues.

That being said, IDK how that confirms the alternate timelines to be contained within the actual realms (Alternate Midgard within Core Midgard, Alternate Alfheim within Core Alfheim, Alternate Vanaheim within Core Vanaheim, etc.), if anything, this implies that the Well is more of a gateway to said realms (Assuming the Well in the Travel Room is the exact same one as the one used by the Nornir).

The WOG statements only sort of support the endless timeline thing, they don't actually clarify whether that well in the Travel Room is the same one used by the Nornirs themselves even tho the well has their statues.

That being said, IDK how that confirms the alternate timelines to be contained within the actual realms (Alternate Midgard within Core Midgard, Alternate Alfheim within Core Alfheim, Alternate Vanaheim within Core Vanaheim, etc.), if anything, this implies that the Well is more of a gateway to said realms (Assuming the Well in the Travel Room is the exact same one as the one used by the Nornir).
Fair enough I supposed.

I do have one minor knit pick, that "Attacking part of a Low 1-C character is Low 1-C outright regardless of how minimal". It was mentioned on a different thread that it's technically possible for a 2-D character to chip off a 2-D square off a 3-D block even if it's not noticeable since a 3-D block is the size of uncountable infinite number of 2-D squares given the uncountable infinite amount of infinisimal numbers between 0 and 1. Though details could be questionable yes.

However, I still agree with the downgrade. I always found the reasons for Low 1-C questionable at best and 2-A just seems more reliable.

I do have one minor knit pick, that "Attacking part of a Low 1-C character is Low 1-C outright regardless of how minimal". It was mentioned on a different thread that it's technically possible for a 2-D character to chip off a 2-D square off a 3-D block even if it's not noticeable since a 3-D block is the size of uncountable infinite number of 2-D squares given the uncountable infinite amount of infinisimal numbers between 0 and 1. Though details could be questionable yes.
Except, WoG specifies the damage isn't chip damage, the damage was quite severe.

1. 1.0 1.1 "Significantly affect" is here used as an umbrella term for feats that don't involve direct creation or destruction but are comparable to them in power, such as warping and distorting the entirety of the structure in question, sustaining its existence with one's own, etc.
We have this note for a reason on the tiering system. I don’t see why it somehow doesn’t applies to Tier 2 or higher

Yeah, not sure about this especially if it ain’t exactly killing them. Sure it “harms” them, but I think it has to do with lower dimensional beings able to attempting to least do some sort of damage to that character.

If they are both on the similar dimensional level, I do think they kinda capable of harming each other in more significant ways.

But I have to do some digging in past threads if that has even been addressed which it probably has

Yeah, not sure about this especially if it ain’t exactly killing them. Sure it “harms” them, but I think it has to do with lower dimensional beings able to attempting to least do some sort of damage to that character.

If they are both on the similar dimensional level, I do think they kinda capable of harming each other in more significant ways.

But I have to do some digging in past threads if that has even been addressed which it probably has
Only reason it wasn't scaled to in the first place is because of people calling the "outlier" card and obviously waiting for Ragnarok.

1. 1.0 1.1 "Significantly affect" is here used as an umbrella term for feats that don't involve direct creation or destruction but are comparable to them in power, such as warping and distorting the entirety of the structure in question, sustaining its existence with one's own, etc.
We have this note for a reason on the tiering system. I don’t see why it somehow doesn’t applies to Tier 2 or higher
Pretty sure it should, damaging a Low 2-C character with your normal attacks despite it not being nearly enough to bother them should still net you Low 2-C, but with heavy backwards scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back