• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Can't we scale Scyther to third stages?

PaChi2

VS Battles
Retired
Scyther shares BST with their evolution (aka scizor, aka 500).

But Scyther, for some reason, is scaled below Heracross and Pinsir, who scale to third stages. In first gen they are a counterpart to Pinsir. It feels wrong to have Scyther scale to second stages if Heracross and Pinsir scale to thirds.

Eh, being a counterpart to someone doesn't mean that you are as strong as that counterpart and the BST part is just Game mechanics. Regardless, i think that he could have a "At least Low 7-B, possibly 7-A"

"When it targets an enemy, it charges furiously while whipping its body with its long tails." - Tauros' Red pokédex entry

"It is not satisfied unless it is rampaging at all times. If there is no opponent for Tauros to battle, it will charge at thick trees and knock them down to calm itself." - Tauros' Emerald pokédex entry

Given the insanely aggressive and possibly territorial Tauros, would it be much of a stretch that a Scyther has had an encounter with one and won? After all, they do coexist in the safari zone.

Plus:

"While young, they live together deep in the mountains, training themselves in how to fight with their scythes and move at high speeds." - Scyther's Moon pokédex entry

They live in the mountains, where pokémon like Aggron live, who we know by it's own pokédex will attack anything that enters it's territory... which is the entirety of the mountain, suggest that they "possibly" outrun them, since they train to move at high speeds.

"Aggron claims an entire mountain as its own territory. It mercilessly beats up anything that violates its environment. This Pokémon vigilantly patrols its territory at all times." - Aggron's Omega Ruby pokédex entry

And given other pokédex entries, like this one:

"It's very proud of its speed. It moves so fast that its opponent does not even know what knocked it down." - Scyther's Crystal pokédex entry

Or this one:

"It tears and shreds prey with its wickedly sharp scythes. It very rarely spreads its wings to fly." - Scyther's Fire Red pokédex entry

But since Tauros isn't scaled to thirds, it only warrants a "possibly" imo.

That caught me off guard a bit too. Although after gen 1, it's generally treated as a weaker Pokemon, being Bugsy's ace, making it roughly comparable to Whitney and Falkner's aces who are both Low 7-B. It's treated as a 'minion' Pokemon next to Scizor in Garret's team, Pokemon Ranger. I'd also be happy with a 'possibly'.

Imo scyther got retconned to be a 1st stage Pokemon and was essentially replaced by Heracross.

Besides, the only reason Heracross and Pinsir are 7-A is because Vikavolt exists.

Fire Red's/Leaf Green's habitat pokédex page

Scyther coexists in the Grasslands with pokémon like Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Kangaskhan (all who live alongside it in the saffari zone too).

Nidoking is usually protrayed as very very territorial, though the pokédex doesn't elaborate on this behaviour. (And since my position stems primarily from the games, I will try to add specific proof from said games) What the pokédex does elaborate on is this:

"A Nidoking's thick tail packs enormously destructive power capable of toppling a metal transmission tower. Once it goes on a rampage, there is no stopping it." - Emerald

So assuming a Scyther angered a Nidoking enough to cause it to rampage, the Nidoking would've stop at nothing save most likely defeat.

Nidoqueen has a similar case to Kangaskhan (who we will see shortly), in that the pokédex states this:

"It uses its scaly rugged body to seal the entrance of its nest and protect its young from predators." - Silver

"It is adept at sending foes flying with harsh tackles using its tough, scaly body. This Pokémon is at its strongest when it is defending its young." - Emerald

If a Scyther decided to prey on a couple baby Nidoran, it would have to get past, literally, over the mother first. The moment which she is at her strongest.

Now onto Kangaskhan, who really I shouldn't even have to explain what they would do to a Scyther that tries to prey on their baby.

It should be noted, tho. Based on Scyther's description as "a ninja" on his various pokédex entries, that he more than likely uses stealth and ambush tactics against his prey. Since it is so fast, it shouldn't have a problem blitzing this three in order to prey on the young.

The problem here is precisely that. I don't think they would got into a confrontation against the two Nidos nor Kangaskhan. At least not directly. They would most likely stalk, keeping their distance. And when the moment is right, blitz into the respective nests for a quick kill and go away with the young before they even realize.

This is the more concrete proof I could find specifically using the games. Would it warrant a possibly? I honestly cannot say for certain. Would this upgrade their speed to contend with third stages (or at least prey on their nests)? That I would say it's certainly a "possibly".

The real cal howard said:
Imo scyther got retconned to be a 1st stage Pokemon and was essentially replaced by Heracross.

Besides, the only reason Heracross and Pinsir are 7-A is because Vikavolt exists.
Scyther / Pinsir is still a thing. Doods are maintained in the Let's Go games as counterparts.

Back