• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bleach: Double checking some cosmology stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right off the bat, this isn't necessarily a downgrade thread. This is more so a clarification thread. Upon rechecking some things, I believe some of the current points regarding our current cosmology set up needs fixing. To keep this somewhat simple, I will only tackle 3 topics in this crt

Four or so relevant prior crts:

Topic One: Soul Flow is stated to destroy the stars

Through Kakyo’s dialogue we discover that by protecting the Soul Cycle, one can protect the stars. The reason being that the role of Shinigami is to act as balancers, maintaining the balance of the Soul Cycle, supported with the Masked data book. Early in Bleach, Rukia informs Ichigo that if the Soul Cycle becomes imbalanced, the entire universe would collapse. In short, the Soul Cycle possesses the power to destroy the universe, which is supported by it also being stated capable of destroying the stars in the sky.

ill talk about rukia and urahara's universe quote in topic 2. As for kakyo, the stars in question she wants to protect are not the ones in the sky.

unknown.png
unknown.png

0148-005.png
unknown.png
0148-006.png

By stars she means the good things in the world, The people. She says that the clouds want to take the stars away, in the same way how bad people take away the good things/people and she wants to preserve the good in the world.

Topic Two: The universe and 'Sekai"
Note I am inherently not trying to downgrade the size of the worlds accepted on size, only re evaluating specific parts of evidence.

This will most likely be the most controversial topic. Every usage of the word above is translated from the word "sekai". officially by Viz.

I will provide the raws for sekai in all of these, alongside an imgur folder of fan translations that chose to translate sekai as "world".

raws:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-obiymIIHcyOb_m5p9qLIWyqu3uGW52O8Q4zu7svWPc/edit?usp=sharing

fan translations:

So the important thing here is the meaning of the word sekai. Sekai is labeled by dictionaries such as jisho as being able to translate to universe, or world and society.

To quote someone:
“世界 means either "the world" or "the society" in regular usage, it absolutely does not mean "the universe" in the cosmic context of the word. It can only be translated into "universe" in a personal or social context like "my wife was my entire universe" and never to mean the actual physical universe.

In fact in Chinese 世界 almost always means "the society(usually human)" in a social context rather than any kind of physical world. Like for example 世界知名 means "world famous", and the "world" means human society, not the actual physical planet earth. Even if humans were a galactic civilization, 世界知名 still translates into "world famous" because "the world" means the entire human civilization, not the physical planet we're on, and it still means "famous in all human society" not "famous on planet earth".

A far more accurate English translation of that scene without ambiguities is almost certainly "the entire (soul? human?) society will collapse". In English "the world" has dual usage for both the physical planet and the social planet(ie human civilization) but in Chinese and almost certainly Kanji it only means the latter.”

大千世界 does not translate into "the boundless universe", it's a specific Buddhist metaphysical term.

For people here who don't know much about Buddhism, 大千世界 is usually translated into "three thousand realms" or "three thousand worlds" or "the infinite universe". But this is an extremely misleading and inaccurate translation because it doesn't even remotely mean what people usually think when they see these words.

In Buddhism a "world/realm" is actually an emotional state of being. There are ten states going from hell to buddha. The higher the state, the more freewill and happiness one obtains. They're not literal planets or dimensional or any such nonsense, they're metaphysical worlds within each living being.

The three thousand realms comes from basically really iffy ancient math. There are 10 "worlds" within each being, every being is capable of achieving all ten worlds, so 10x10 = 100 "worlds". This is multiplied by the ten factors of life(power, appearance, influence, etc) to get 1000 "worlds", and then this is multiplied by the actual three worlds(desire, form, formlessness) to get "three thousand worlds".

It's an extremely dense philosophical/religious term that is in no way intended for people to take literally that there are three thousand worlds."

Looking up sentence examples this seems to hold fairly true

Still, Viz is the official translator so I would like for this to be discussed in general here. Should we stick with these examples being treated as "universe" or "world"

Fully covered here:

Topic Three: The size of the realms during the senna feat

The realms in the film are not the dimensions, rather are in Other Dimensions
MoN_Formation_explained_pt_6.JPG

MoN_Formation_explained_pt_7.JPG

Furthermore

Then you’ll notice that when Mayuri asks for a status update, we are informed that it is the dimensions that are moving towards each other, not planets.

The dimension in question mentioned here can be the dangai itself. the ss and wotl are consistently called worlds in this film, both by urahara and mayuri:
MoN_Urahara_explains_the_universe_pt_4.JPG

MoN_World_pulling_force_pt_5.JPG

It was also argued priorly that the color the worlds are shown as proves they cannot be planets in this film, due to what would be earth's color not matching up:
MoN_Worlds_colliding_5_seconds.JPG

This ignores the fact its most likely the colorization from the interior of the dangai causing this color, as shown when senna's explosions go from a green colorization to yellow-reddish one when it pans out to the dangai.

Toshiro also uses hoshi when referring to both worlds in the film:
MoN_Toshiro_refers_to_WotL_and_SS_as_hoshi_planets.JPG

you might ask, "but cyber we know from the novels and other material they cannot be planets". That isnt entirely true, given yamamoto's bankai. The terms can refer to the central planets as well, which is visually supported to be the case here.

If you disagree with any of the three above takes, well that's why this crt exists. I'm more than open to discussion. Discuss!

Last edited:
While I have been asked to comment here, I regrettably am preoccupied with university until about mid-December. So, I unfortunately do not have time to spend on another Bleach CRT surrounding cosmology, the God Tiers, etc.

Best of luck with whoever participates, and remember, keep it civil!

Nah ik Arc is one of the more knowledgeable people on thr bleach side of things here so I think it's best to wait on this until all of the really knowledgeable people can explain this and to schedule a time that they can respond to this openly and at least have a chance to get some meaningful input without being forced to come out of important irl stuff

So, I know nothing about Bleach, but I can answer something about the use of the word "Sekai". First of all " can only be translated into "universe" in a personal or social context like "my wife was my entire universe" and never to mean the actual physical universe. In fact in Chinese 世界 almost always means "the society(usually human)" in a social context rather than any kind of physical world."... No, simply no.

I went first in depth about this on one of my blogs and this is far from the truth. The use of the workd "世界" (Sekai) and "宇宙" (Uchū) are in fact, the same one, kinda. The two words are made up of two kanjis, one of them can mean"north, south, west, east" and the other can mean"past, present, future/from the past to the future". In fact the two words really mean "all of time and space". Of course, this when it's not talking about the other explanation of the word that has one of them meaning "earth" (The physical world) and the other meaning "heavens" (The spiritual world) as was used to say that all of existence was made by both the physical and the spiritual, and of course there are various other ways of interpreting what those Kanji mean.

The two words, as explained here, basically meant the same thing and there was a time when "Sekai" was more used as "Universe/All of existence" than "Uchū".

What happens here is that as the language evolves words start to be used in other context, or even it could always be used to talk about different things. It's no different to how other words that can mean "World" such as mundus also originated from the cosmology of the universe. But with time those words started to mean other things and what "world" end ups meaning can be something like your life, your city, friends, etc. It's the same is basically any language that I know of unless we are taling about some that are very specific.

Also, since I have a bit of space here, this happens with a lot of words and I can't help but notice how some people are starting even more to look into dictionaries to see something without taking some time to look at the greater picture, there are some meanings for words that aren't even catalogued in dictonaries, even more in relation to animes and japanese fiction, that you can really only see what is some of the other meanings for them if you look for a lot of its usage to see a pattern so you can finally understand "so this is a made-up meaning that is used a lot in fictions but not recognized in formal dictionaries yet" (Such as the use of Jigen (次元), that I saw people thinking it can only be used when talking about mathematical dimensions, or even Kūkan (空間), that although it's mostly recognized as just meaning "Space" is also vastly used to refer to what we normally call pocket dimensions or even just alternate dimensions/universes).

In the end, it's all about context. Although I do understand why people consider "Uchū" as being more clear than "Sekai" (Although I can show a bit of scenes that shows the different usage of that word as well). So, don't just look into dictionaries for that. Normally, the work itself could have enough information to explain what is being talked about.

Since I assume that the usage of Sekai meaning just "world" (Again, "just world" can also be a lot) it's all about what is the general setting that is being taken in consideration. If there's reason to assume that is more than just two planets, then that's what matters. If not, then that is a another problem. But really, the use of "Sekai" just puts everything into a "neutral" point because of the ways that the word can be used.

It's not a showcase of "it's not universe, because Sekai can't mean universe" (It really can), it's just "It's a generic use of a word that can mean a lot of things, there's enough evidence that they are talking about the entire universe?"

1. This one doesn’t change much. The stars are still in the sky in the manga.
2. Anime uses the word “universe” meaning ViZ translation is accurate to the manga. Fan translations holds no water.
3. This was already discuss before in a thread that was made by Arc and got rejected.

arc's response:

i disagree with your take on the stars because it says stuff like "literally protect the stars in the sky" which indicate the actual stars as opposed to just saying "i think it can be viewed more hyperbolically" but you know that

i disagree with the sekai argument because A) it tangents on about chinese and B) VIZ consistently translates it to uni which isnt an inherent mistranslation, so i go with the official here

i debunked the Toshi-hoshi in the last uni thread (wrote paragraphs about it)

the movie colors argument was quite the stretch and was very much just throwing out baseless hypotheses on why the colors were the color they were

so gonna respond to the movie claim:
MoN_Worlds_colliding_5_seconds.png

unknown_5.png

should be noted every time we get a pan shot of the worlds, its through a monitor (notice the red border in the second scan, its the monitor frame in the first scan)

I still dont think there's any direct evidence against them being planets in context

So, I know nothing about Bleach, but I can answer something about the use of the word "Sekai". First of all " can only be translated into "universe" in a personal or social context like "my wife was my entire universe" and never to mean the actual physical universe. In fact in Chinese 世界 almost always means "the society(usually human)" in a social context rather than any kind of physical world."... No, simply no.

I went first in depth about this on one of my blogs and this is far from the truth. The use of the workd "世界" (Sekai) and "宇宙" (Uchū) are in fact, the same one, kinda. The two words are made up of two kanjis, one of them can mean"north, south, west, east" and the other can mean"past, present, future/from the past to the future". In fact the two words really mean "all of time and space". Of course, this when it's not talking about the other explanation of the word that has one of them meaning "earth" (The physical world) and the other meaning "heavens" (The spiritual world) as was used to say that all of existence was made by both the physical and the spiritual, and of course there are various other ways of interpreting what those Kanji mean.

The two words, as explained here, basically meant the same thing and there was a time when "Sekai" was more used as "Universe/All of existence" than "Uchū".

What happens here is that as the language evolves words start to be used in other context, or even it could always be used to talk about different things. It's no different to how other words that can mean "World" such as mundus also originated from the cosmology of the universe. But with time those words started to mean other things and what "world" end ups meaning can be something like your life, your city, friends, etc. It's the same is basically any language that I know of unless we are taling about some that are very specific.

Also, since I have a bit of space here, this happens with a lot of words and I can't help but notice how some people are starting even more to look into dictionaries to see something without taking some time to look at the greater picture, there are some meanings for words that aren't even catalogued in dictonaries, even more in relation to animes and japanese fiction, that you can really only see what is some of the other meanings for them if you look for a lot of its usage to see a pattern so you can finally understand "so this is a made-up meaning that is used a lot in fictions but not recognized in formal dictionaries yet" (Such as the use of Jigen (次元), that I saw people thinking it can only be used when talking about mathematical dimensions, or even Kūkan (空間), that although it's mostly recognized as just meaning "Space" is also vastly used to refer to what we normally call pocket dimensions or even just alternate dimensions/universes).

In the end, it's all about context. Although I do understand why people consider "Uchū" as being more clear than "Sekai" (Although I can show a bit of scenes that shows the different usage of that word as well). So, don't just look into dictionaries for that. Normally, the work itself could have enough information to explain what is being talked about.

Since I assume that the usage of Sekai meaning just "world" (Again, "just world" can also be a lot) it's all about what is the general setting that is being taken in consideration. If there's reason to assume that is more than just two planets, then that's what matters. If not, then that is a another problem. But really, the use of "Sekai" just puts everything into a "neutral" point because of the ways that the word can be used.

It's not a showcase of "it's not universe, because Sekai can't mean universe" (It really can), it's just "It's a generic use of a word that can mean a lot of things, there's enough evidence that they are talking about the entire universe?"
i could make a case for sekai not being supported to mean universe in verse contextually, but this crt isn't for that. i was unaware of this info so thank you. i shall cross out topic 2 in the op and link this post as covering it. thank you

I don't get how the 1st part is even slightly relevant. You literally see stars in the sky in the manga. And the text above even says “literally protect the stars”.

This sekai thing is clearly referring to the bleach verse a whole most of the time. Even the official says universe and the novel. Why is Sakai so hard to understand? Just use context.

What exactly does this thread hope to achieve if you don't mind explaining? It's all over the place to me.

not arguing the stars arent real, its just that quote is used as supporting evidence for the soul flow having uni or higher DC. Im arguing given context in the novel and a prior conversation that stars in that quote isnt referring to stars, but the people. for example:
unknown.png

as for your second question, simply questioning the legitimacy of these specific pieces of evidence and nothing more

Last edited:
I'm confused is there a reason it can't be both...? Protect people and the stars? What you're suggesting works only if you ignore where it says “literally protect the stars”.

i mean lets say we go with that, sure
unknown.png

unknown.png

Both these pieces of dialogue dont support protecting the stars as " the soul flow will destroy them"

The scan is explaining what the job of the soul reapers are. They 1st explain it's to maintain the cycle and kill hollow thus making them the hope of the people. Because of this soul reapers are literally given the right to protect the stars.

To maintain the cycle means to protect everything.

What im saying in context, protecting the stars/ the worlds light is either
1. keep the clouds parted (kayko's own words, not mine, stated twice including that very same scan)
2. the the good things in the world, The people. She says that the clouds want to take the stars away, in the same way how bad people take away the good things/people and she wants to preserve the good in the world.

im not saying it isnt, im saying this quote isnt supporting evidence. just use the rukia quotes/ urahara ones. i only mentioned kakyo's quote because ive seen it used as supporting evidence.

again this thread isnt really a downgrade besides maybe the senna feat unless im wrong on that

Right off the bat, this isn't necessarily a downgrade thread. This is more so a clarification thread. Upon rechecking some things, I believe some of the current points regarding our current cosmology set up needs fixing. To keep this somewhat simple, I will only tackle 3 topics in this crt

Four or so relevant prior crts:

Topic One: Soul Flow is stated to destroy the stars

ill talk about rukia and urahara's universe quote in topic 2. As for kakyo, the stars in question she wants to protect are not the ones in the sky.

unknown.png
unknown.png

0148-005.png
unknown.png
0148-006.png

By stars she means the good things in the world, The people. She says that the clouds want to take the stars away, in the same way how bad people take away the good things/people and she wants to preserve the good in the world.
Kakyo herself is referring to good things however the narrator himself is referring to real stars. Soul reapers maintain the balance of souls so the universe doesn't collapse hence why he says she literally protects the stars.
Topic Two: The universe and 'Sekai"
Note I am inherently not trying to downgrade the size of the worlds accepted on size, only re evaluating specific parts of evidence.

This will most likely be the most controversial topic. Every usage of the word above is translated from the word "sekai". officially by Viz.

I will provide the raws for sekai in all of these, alongside an imgur folder of fan translations that chose to translate sekai as "world".

raws:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-obiymIIHcyOb_m5p9qLIWyqu3uGW52O8Q4zu7svWPc/edit?usp=sharing

fan translations:

So the important thing here is the meaning of the word sekai. Sekai is labeled by dictionaries such as jisho as being able to translate to universe, or world and society.

To quote someone:
“世界 means either "the world" or "the society" in regular usage, it absolutely does not mean "the universe" in the cosmic context of the word. It can only be translated into "universe" in a personal or social context like "my wife was my entire universe" and never to mean the actual physical universe.

In fact in Chinese 世界 almost always means "the society(usually human)" in a social context rather than any kind of physical world. Like for example 世界知名 means "world famous", and the "world" means human society, not the actual physical planet earth. Even if humans were a galactic civilization, 世界知名 still translates into "world famous" because "the world" means the entire human civilization, not the physical planet we're on, and it still means "famous in all human society" not "famous on planet earth".

A far more accurate English translation of that scene without ambiguities is almost certainly "the entire (soul? human?) society will collapse". In English "the world" has dual usage for both the physical planet and the social planet(ie human civilization) but in Chinese and almost certainly Kanji it only means the latter.”

大千世界 does not translate into "the boundless universe", it's a specific Buddhist metaphysical term.

For people here who don't know much about Buddhism, 大千世界 is usually translated into "three thousand realms" or "three thousand worlds" or "the infinite universe". But this is an extremely misleading and inaccurate translation because it doesn't even remotely mean what people usually think when they see these words.

In Buddhism a "world/realm" is actually an emotional state of being. There are ten states going from hell to buddha. The higher the state, the more freewill and happiness one obtains. They're not literal planets or dimensional or any such nonsense, they're metaphysical worlds within each living being.

The three thousand realms comes from basically really iffy ancient math. There are 10 "worlds" within each being, every being is capable of achieving all ten worlds, so 10x10 = 100 "worlds". This is multiplied by the ten factors of life(power, appearance, influence, etc) to get 1000 "worlds", and then this is multiplied by the actual three worlds(desire, form, formlessness) to get "three thousand worlds".

It's an extremely dense philosophical/religious term that is in no way intended for people to take literally that there are three thousand worlds."

Looking up sentence examples this seems to hold fairly true

Still, Viz is the official translator so I would like for this to be discussed in general here. Should we stick with these examples being treated as "universe" or "world"

Fully covered here:

These realms of Buddhism are real and not metaphysical in bleach. The entire cosmology is based on Buddhism. The used the Buddhism term Three Realms which refers to the entire Buddism Universe

1.Gods realm-Soul Palace
2.Demi-god realm (Asura)-Soul Society
3.Animal realm-Animal Realm
4.Hungry Ghost Realm-hueco mundo
5.Human Realm-World of the Living
6. Hell Realm-Hell

So as you can see all 6 realms are based of the six realms of Buddhism. The cycle of life and death or samsura

Not going to address the sekai stuff someone already did.

Topic Three: The size of the realms during the senna feat

The realms in the film are not the dimensions, rather are in Other Dimensions
MoN_Formation_explained_pt_6.JPG

MoN_Formation_explained_pt_7.JPG

Furthermore

The dimension in question mentioned here can be the dangai itself. the ss and wotl are consistently called worlds in this film, both by urahara and mayuri:
MoN_Urahara_explains_the_universe_pt_4.JPG

MoN_World_pulling_force_pt_5.JPG

It was also argued priorly that the color the worlds are shown as proves they cannot be planets in this film, due to what would be earth's color not matching up:
MoN_Worlds_colliding_5_seconds.JPG

This ignores the fact its most likely the colorization from the interior of the dangai causing this color, as shown when senna's explosions go from a green colorization to yellow-reddish one when it pans out to the dangai.

Toshiro also uses hoshi when referring to both worlds in the film:
MoN_Toshiro_refers_to_WotL_and_SS_as_hoshi_planets.JPG

you might ask, "but cyber we know from the novels and other material they cannot be planets". That isnt entirely true, given yamamoto's bankai. The terms can refer to the central planets as well, which is visually supported to be the case here.

If you disagree with any of the three above takes, well that's why this crt exists. I'm more than open to discussion. Discuss!
In bleach soul society and the world of the living can refer to the dimension or the planet. It depend on the context. Kisuke here is talking about the planets being in different dimensions and not the dimension of soul society and the world of the living.

On his map he drew them as their own dimensions or space.
2021_07_14_21.28.40.jpg

The purple circle is the real world or the world of the living dimension. The blue star is the soul society dimension. The yellow is possibly hueco mundo and the space inbetween these dimension is the severed world/dangai.
2020-06-14_9.png

Also shown here as dimensions
main-qimg-40c5a50cc05a9d6635cc928739a885e0-2.png

The garganta is also another space that exist in-between these worlds or dimensions. Nothing can exist in the garganta but reshi and pocket dimensions call the valley of screams. So it's not outer space it has no stars or planets. That means soul society and the world of the living each have their own outer space.

Those 2 spheres on myuris map are not planets. Just cause they look like they have a greenish bluish color to them is not enough to say their planets. The image is not even clear enough to come to that conclusion. Myuirs map is literally the same one kisuke drew. It's the dimensions of soul society and the world of the living and the space in the middle is the dangai dimension. The yellow energy in the middle is the valley of screams dimension expanding and pulling them in.

If those were planets you would see the soul society and the world of the living would appear in each others sky as massive planets considering how close they were which we don't see.

End chapter sketches show yhwach destroying the universe creating his own universe of despair. Here

The original universe was all of creation it was a chaotic world with not concept of life or death. The is same universe was split into the 3 Worlds soul society,HM and the world of the living. So all of creation= the current worlds. The term all of creation means everything in existence or the universe.

Just cause they say world doesn't mean their planets world is term that can mean many things even universe it depends on the context

Last edited:
Kakyo herself is referring to good things however the narrator himself is referring to real stars. Soul reapers maintain the balance of souls so the universe doesn't collapse hence why he says she literally protects the stars.

These realms of Buddhism are real and not metaphysical in bleach. The entire cosmology is based on Buddhism. The used the Buddhism term Three Realms which refers to the entire Buddism Universe

1.Gods realm-Soul Palace
2.Demi-god realm (Asura)-Soul Society
3.Animal realm-Animal Realm
4.Hungry Ghost Realm-hueco mundo
5.Human Realm-World of the Living
6. Hell Realm-Hell

So as you can see all 6 realms are based of the six realms of Buddhism. The cycle of life and death or samsura

Not going to address the sekai stuff someone already did.

In bleach soul society and the world of the living can refer to the dimension or the planet. It depend on the context. Kisuke here is talking about the planets being in different dimensions and not the dimension of soul society and the world of the living.

On his map he drew them as their own dimensions or space.
2021_07_14_21.28.40.jpg

The purple circle is the real world or the world of the living dimension. The blue star is the soul society dimension. The yellow is possibly hueco mundo and the space inbetween these dimension is the severed world/dangai.
2020-06-14_9.png

Also shown here as dimensions
main-qimg-40c5a50cc05a9d6635cc928739a885e0-2.png

The garganta is also another space that exist in-between these worlds or dimensions. Nothing can exist in the garganta but reshi and pocket dimensions call the valley of screams. So it's not outer space it has no stars or planets. That means soul society and the world of the living each have their own outer space.

Those 2 spheres on myuris map are not planets. Just cause they look like they have a greenish bluish color to them is not enough to say their planets. The image is not even clear enough to come to that conclusion. Myuirs map is literally the same one kisuke drew. It's the dimensions of soul society and the world of the living and the space in the middle is the dangai dimension. The yellow energy in the middle is the valley of screams dimension expanding and pulling them in.

If those were planets you would see the soul society and the world of the living would appear in each others sky as massive planets considering how close they were which we don't see.

Well I guess I have to wait for this to finish before posting something about yeeting the low2C on the profiles as it does not fit into the new tiering system for low 2C

Honestly im fine with removing the soul cycle destroying stars as additonal supporting evidence, the uni arguments speak for themselves.

however the senna feat is more contentious and it will certainly downgrade the tier 3 rating if it goes through.

I don't want to get deeply involved in this discussion. Just want to ask that when we use the phrase "the flow of souls will destroy the stars" what precisely do we mean? What is the actual mechanism of the star's destruction here? How precisely is the flow of souls involved? Because it can mean a few different things.

EDIT: Never mind... Just saw Cyber asked for this to be closed.... so closing it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back