• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Now I know I'm not a calc member but I thought it would be a good idea to start this here. Currently I'm in a discussion with another user who is trying to get around the Light criteria by using Atmospheric Refraction as an argument to try to justify light based magic that bends, is tangible and explodes on contact as being real light. I find this method extremely suspect since this is the first time I've ever seen this used in any calc on any website and sounds like it could be used a loop hole to inflate speed calcs involving light. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refractio

Here's the thread

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2485542?useskin=oasis

And here's the calc. https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:CNBA3/Fairy_Tail_Calcs#Speed_of_Sting.27s_Laser

The problem is obviously the fact this only seems to happen when enormous distances are involved. Sure, light gets refracted, but this is after it had to travel who knows how many kms of earth's atmosphere.

Well, it sounds like the feat is automatically disqualified given the specifics that you mentioned earlier, but you can ask a few calc group members to reply if you wish.

I am well aware of how much air bends light, but that would be depending on how much light bends with it's index refraction, given that the series has other elements besides air in the atmosphere.

It does not interact with humans, nor does it explode, don't know where he is getting that information from

Not loophole, but expanded upon, with new information presented that would make future Calcs more flexible.

Light doesn't become tangible just because it refracts, because Light waves are absorbed by the medium it is passing through,

Furthemore the refraction through air is generally SO minimal that scientists could only slow down light by about20 wavelenghts , with each wavelength being about 400 nanometers, one nanometer is 1e-9 meters so, even if we were to ignore all this it would only apply if it was to hit air at an angle, since if the incident ray is 90 then the ray of reflection is the same and no refraction happens

The fairy tail calc is wrong for other reasons but the refraction of light through air which is so minimal it's unnoticed shouldn't be used as a method of explaining the physical bending done by other people with their attacks.

The laser was not tangle to begin with, it was not interacted by people, there are other things in the atmosphere besides air that would effect the refraction of the laser

"Air" is a mixture of gases, it forms what makes the atmosphere of the earth which is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, everything else in it is very minimal which wouldn't make them that relevant in the discussion.

plus those other things like water vapour are always relative to things like the humidity of an area, unless there's other things

I am aware of that, there are things in the FT universe such as ethernanos that liter the atmosphere, It contains all types of elements components, Which would effect the refraction of the laser.

That's a verse mechanic that's not quantifiable, unless you know the refraction index of fictional elements.

This all just seems like a way to justify people controlling and bending light attacks when it just is that, Light isn't refracting it's being bent forcefully by people to attack their opponents.

Well there are no real fictional elements in FT iirc, but judging by how far it bends (70.46 degrees), it would be 1.03 for index refraction from the initial measurement.

I do not think so, I mean, it can be a way of expansion, but only for those that can prove that there is something other than just air in the atmosphere, Sting did not state that he can control laser trajectory by force, it was just a laser. The only time it was forcefully bent was with Mard and he did that would some magical means without physically touching it

Back