• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SOL Kanaguri and potentially FTL for Sakamoto

Mr_Sugabz

He/Him
Hey. I’m a little confused about the feat below, so I need y'all opinion on whether it meets the light criteria or not

feat shown here
or you can read chap. 102 Sakamoto Days

• It is clearly stated that it is merely light, and it comes from a reliable source, which is the owner of the weapon itself
  • The light also comes from a realistic source; Fresnel LED, which is commonly used in filmmaking, and it’s also can be seen that the light is moving in a straight line
  • The light can be reflected on a non-magical mirror; iron, and also shown to have an instant speed, with 1 reflection immediately spreading throughout the room
More or less, those are some of the criteria that meet the standard of original light in VSB. However, there might be reasons why this is not original light, the reasons are as follows
  • Real light does not have mass, so it does not have enough momentum to bounce off a mass object. So if it turns out it can, then the light has mass, and contradicts the characteristics of light IRL. Therefore, this violates one of the standards that states "It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans", unless the character can actually control the light itself, and unfortunately, Kanaguri doesn’t have that ability.
*some DMUA said

That’s what confuses me, because there’s an argument that this isn’t real light as I mentioned above. But first, I’m going to respond about its antifeats, because in my opinion, this still counts as light.

In my opinion, this isn’t a big deal. It’s fiction, it doesn’t have to be realistic, as long as it’s logical. In this manga, there are many scenes where the author himself doesn’t bother to think about issues like this so it makes sense. For example; there are people who can lose weight in a very short time, there are those who were originally just ordinary humans but their entire body becomes a weapon (cyborgization), there are tools and chemical fluids that can increase physical strength to the extreme, there is a VR game device that can be used to control other people’s bodies from a distance, and so on.

So if we look at the logic in its fiction, cases like this have become commonplace because even though the setting is in Japan, the tools and technology are more advanced than in our time, and the author also doesn’t bother about this. Therefore, the weapon used by Kanaguri should also not be something amazing, because this is already common, and perhaps what Kanaguri meant when he said that it had been modified was so that it could be used for attacks, which might be without directly affecting the speed of the light itself.

Lastly, regardless of all things previously considered as antifeat, this cannot negate the fact that this verse treats it as truly just light. There are not a few other verses that although their light can do things like this, like Kizaru, but still treated as fast as light.

You cannot negate an anti-feat with an antithesis such as "it's just fiction" as that is the reason why the standards are set as they are, not to mention that your examples are a part of plot inducement stupidity
It's also erroneous as well as fallacious to say that the constituents and properties are equal to real life light just because it is called as "merely light"

And for kizaru, I think, his light is treated equivalent to real light because he has chain scaling feats to back it up and also no anti-feats/statements although I'm not an expert on OP

You cannot negate an anti-feat with an antithesis such as "it's just fiction" as that is the reason why the standards are set as they are, not to mention that your examples are a part of plot inducement stupidity
It's also erroneous as well as fallacious to say that the constituents and properties are equal to real life light just because it is called as "merely light"

And for kizaru, I think, his light is treated equivalent to real light because he has chain scaling feats to back it up and also no anti-feats/statements although I'm not an expert on OP
Why the example I mentioned become a PIS? Didn't I say that this kind of thing is often shown in this manga?
The reason why it is not an antifeat is that he has mentioned that it has been modified. Like the previous example, the equipment in this verse is advanced, and it is possible that something like this is common.

Such effects are probably evidence that the device used could be used as a weapon.

Why the example I mentioned become a PIS? Didn't I say that this kind of thing is often shown in this manga?
The reason why it is not an antifeat is that he has mentioned that it has been modified. Like the previous example, the equipment in this verse is advanced, and it is possible that something like this is common.

Such effects are probably evidence that the device used could be used as a weapon.
Can you lay out the consistency of this speed in the narrative then?

Can you lay out the consistency of this speed in the narrative then?
Most of high tier characters in this manga are capable to deflect bullets with easily, there are also chat that can avoid explosion from very close distance. I think it's time for another upgrade again from just bullets' speed to higher level.

In addition, Sakamoto has also can hit the fastest char in manga who used light speed shoes, and he the only one who can perform this feats

Sakamoto has also can hit the fastest char in manga who used light speed shoes, and he the only one who can perform this feats
Then it looks plausible to me if it doesn't have any anti-feat as well

Btw, ig you meant that only Sakamoto scales to it but in the 3rd panel we can see another character (the white haired one) reacting to and coming between sakamoto and the other character who is supposedly moving at the SoL even before the SoL chara can reach Sakamoto

I can't say much only by the context cause I've only read a couple of vol of this manga

Then it looks plausible to me if it doesn't have any anti-feat as well

Btw, ig you meant that only Sakamoto scales to it but in the 3rd panel we can see another character (the white haired one) reacting to and coming between sakamoto and the other character who is supposedly moving at the SoL even before the SoL chara can reach Sakamoto

I can't say much only by the context cause I've only read a couple of vol of this manga
No, no, no. That's not what I meant.

When I said "he's the only one who can perform this feat", I meant that Kindaka is the only one who can perform the feat in the 3rd picture. In the panel I didn't show, Sakamoto is shown can hit Kindaka several times.

The thing about the white-haired guy, it's not reacting to Kindaka's speed, because he's clearly just anticipating it, as you can see here

It definitely meets the criteria. Not only does Kanaguri call it light, but the light comes from a camera which is literally the qualification for light here on Vsb. So I don't see any issues. And Sakamoto definitely reacted to it at pretty much point-blank range.

Sakamoto never really got him in a genuine confrontation, he just aimed where he was going to be, not where he was, as Uzuki says.
No, Sakamoto did not do the same thing as Uzuki.
Firstly, Sakamoto tried hard to at least be able to hit Kindaka. When they fought in the elevator, Kindaka was able to toy with Sakamoto, but over time he adapted to his speed so he could hit him once, making Kindaka take it more seriously as shown here

After all that happen, Sakamoto can blitzed Kindaka as shown here

I've never been very good at following along with the events of manga- I find it difficult to read it. Forgive me for not speaking much on the images provided as a result.

I think you make a reasonably compelling case for why we might consider this to be light. However, I note that the detracting factors just includes things DMUA said, apparently, without elaborating on what those are. In light of that, I'm going to ping @DMUA to see what his complaints were. If I'm confused or misreading, do feel free to just say so.

However, I note that the detracting factors just includes things DMUA said, apparently, without elaborating on what those are.
It's just sorta what I already mentioned, it emits physical force despite the fact lasers simply do not do that
In my opinion, this isn’t a big deal. It’s fiction, it doesn’t have to be realistic
This also means a light beam doesn't need to be nearly 300,000 kilometers per second in speed, because indeed, it's fiction and doesn't have to be realistic. It goes both ways.

Last edited:
It's just sorta what I already mentioned, it emits physical force despite the fact lasers simply do not do that
It's not a laser. It's called light and it's from a camera. They specifically ask if it's a laser and the manga says no.

I don't think that distinction is all that important for the qualms he's raising.

I don't think that distinction is all that important for the qualms he's raising.
Well if he is applying a certain rule here that only applies to lasers then it needs to be noted that we aren't dealing with a laser. Idk if that's the case but it should be pointed out just in case.

Well if he is applying a certain rule here that only applies to lasers then it needs to be noted that we aren't dealing with a laser. Idk if that's the case but it should be pointed out just in case.
That's fair. What he's citing applies to light in general, but that is fair.

Lasers are a beam of light, it's interchangeable (Especially since this does seem to be him using a modified light emitting device to make it more harmful, which... is just a laser)

This also means a light beam doesn't need to be nearly 300,000 kilometers per second in speed, because indeed, it's fiction and doesn't have to be realistic. It goes both ways.
That's not the only reason. Maybe the meaning of modification here is, Kanaguri makes the temperature of the LED light so much hotter than the light in general, so it can be used as his weapon. The proof, this can melt pens and the sfx “kshh” indicates that this is really hot like a laser. Also in the middle panel, Sakamoto thought this was a laser because it could destroy the surrounding environment, but still, this verse treats it as ‘just light’ from a reliable source which should be SOL too.

this verse treats it as ‘just light’ from a reliable source
Then why doesn't it behave like light?

Because it's fiction and it doesn't have to be realistic, indicating it also doesn't need to be at the realistic speed of 299790000 meters per second?

You aren't really addressing the standards in any concrete way, and without the ability to do that I'm not obligated to approve this feat.

Then why doesn't it behave like light?

Because it's fiction and it doesn't have to be realistic, indicating it also doesn't need to be at the realistic speed of 299790000 meters per second?

You aren't really addressing the standards in any concrete way, and without the ability to do that I'm not obligated to approve this feat.
The only standard that really disproves this is that its tangible. But I don't think that's enough to disregard it. It's from a camera and it's called light. It also reflected off of the metal. It meets 3/5 standards. Is the fact that it's not tangible really outweigh all the other standards?

Reflects and comes from a source that produces light irl. How many other requirements are needed?

Back