• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An imperfect solution to our recent problems

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As you likely know, Fandom has already stated that they agree to not ban any more of the people that were being reported by enemies of this community for using inappropriate slurs in the past, but this still left the problem that sooner or later somebody would slip up at a later date and likely be reported to the Fandom staff.

However, we have managed to work out a solution that should prevent our members from being banned for using inappropriate slurs in the future. On my request, Fandom has installed an abuse filter that prevents such words from accidentally being written in the first place, which protects our community from suddenly losing further valuable members.

Mind you, I know that this isn't an ideal solution, as it technically restricts the freedom of speech, but I am trying to do the best of a bad situation, and this was the least harmful alternative that I could come up with.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Take note that you still have to take care to not upload any screencaptures containing these words to the wiki itself, or you might get in trouble with Fandom. If the staff notice any such images, please help out by quickly deleting them. Thank you.

NOTE: Don't test if the system is activated yet. I was just told about this. It is a safeguard, not a guarantee if you take a gamble.

This seems like a great idea! I don't quite recommend testing if this works it should be mentioned. But thankfully, we'll know in the future. Also, worry not, that Kep and other innocent people's block will most likely be lifted before too long.

I mean I know that telling people not to do something is the greatest encouragement to do it, but we really shouldn't test Fandom's patience.

Anyways, I've never been too keen on people having the right to be profane, because I'm more Mormon then conservative, so I'm definitely okay with this.

I would say tat it's perfectly fine. Free Speech is important, but there always has to be some compromise no matter what, that's why saying these words is banned in the first place

@Totallynotchewbacca

I have been told so, but I would really recommend not making a gamble anyway.

I completely agree with this and am happy it was installed.

Not gonna lie I was also thinking of testing it out lol (I didn't though)

This is a good solution, but I would advise people to not randomly test it. Don't say anything that might be offensive. Really, it's just best if everyone just "got along" and we all moved on from this.

Lingering further in the banning / loss of members rather than move forward won't do much good.

It's not the mild to moderate swear words they're offensive, it's the discriminatory slurs and sexually explicit words that are bannable.

My only hope is this abuse filter is set up carefully so that innocent words aren't caught by mistake and a whole post is deleted over nothing.

@Asuka

The Fandom staff has consistently been extremely helpful towards me and this wiki in the past. The problem is that some people who are hostile towards our wiki tried to weaponise their principles against us. However, they decided to only ban two of the members that were reported to them, and showed mercy towards the others, in order to not damage our community.

Also, I agree with Matthew.

given their position on free speech they might as well impliment this for every community

Ant is the real MVP around here periode with all kinds of stuff hapoening these past few weeks(days and probably month too) i hope you're getting some rest.

And ya this new system seems really good escpecialy for new comers that wouldnt know how to handle this kind of situation.

@Antvasima

That some people weaponize use that logic? I never heard that kind of problem to the wiki before. I guess I never enter more uncharted territories beyond Minecraft.

Question: So... there's no problem with slurs in the reply from the past before the no-slur-allowed news come? cuz I don't want to die by checking all of my contributes to ever exist. And I hope I won't evoke a problem with my old OP when I'm on uncharted territory and I hope @Noahkaismith on VSB isn't the same guy as @Noah Smith on YT cuz I don't want to fill an oil on to old OP or else I will attempt to remove the OP cuz I don't want my problem on YT begin to be involved in VSB. (I hope no fire would haunt me into the wilderness)

@Dragonmasterxyz

To be fair, I only made that addition immediately after some people tested it out.

@Ashen

Thank you. I try hard, but between all of the wiki drama and the disasters I read about happening in the real world, it is rather stressful.

@David

The Fandom staff told us that they would not ban any more people for things said months or more ago, but recommended that we should delete past usages of slurs. Me and Soldier Blue took care of deleting all uses of the n-word, the f-word, and the c-words that we could find via a Google search of the wiki.

Could staffs edit the member's comments/posts/replies? just asking

Edit: And I think Censorship is getting worse around the world right now :/

Yeah shit like the nword and the cword is ****** up. But take away swears of which are formulated not for use towards a specific demographic (ie. Words that don't target specific groups and apply to everyone yes EVERYONE) is when you go from prevention of racial abuse to censorship.

TLDR only censor the racially/sexually/genderally abusive shit, keep everything else.

Back