• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An imperfect solution to our recent problems

@Swathing

I have checked the abuse filter settings. Only actual slurs have been banned, not any regular swear words.

Anyway, it seems like the filter has not activated yet. I have informed Fandom about this problem.

W****ng is not a slur, it is just rather crude.

Really glad to see this thing is finally set up. Good job Ant, now at least we won't have to look over our shoulder all the time (though that does bring up the issue of self-moderation and common sense, but whatever).

Eh. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with this situation, but I have to say this outcome is better than many others I was worrying about.

Thanks, Ant.

So basically if someone attemps to say any curse word (at least well written), a promp saying that that´s not allowed appears to them?

Callsign Castle said:
A better solution would be for people to use even a slight amount of self-control.

I mean, have you SEEN humanities track record with "self control"? We had such a thirst for sugar that we unintentionally induced the enslavement of a native populous to cultivate the sugar cane in order to placate our collective hard on for sugar!? Im pretty sure "Self Control" is shit reserved for the exceptional, possibly Akira Fudo, but MOSTLY the exceptional...

Yobobojojo said:
@Swathing
Save it for the RP's dude

Wait what? I was just pointing out how humanity as a species has a horrible track record for self control and how this lacking of a control o' the self lead towards atrocities...

I have a single question:

How many words and languages can it detect? Because what avoids people from cussing on their home language (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, etc)? I mean, that could happen

I don't believe that cussing will be what is banned, only derogatory slurs against other religions, races or sexualities.

Which are mostly identical regardless of language.

The words that they have said they'd instantly ban for, so the ones that were likely filtered, are, and I quote:

• A word that starts with N that is racial in nature.
  • A word that starts with C that originated as a crass term on female genitalia
  • A word that starts with F that refers to someone of a specific sexual orientation.
  • A word that starts with C that is often used to insult men who support feminism

Monarch Laciel said:
I don't know that that last one is, but that just means I'm unlikely to say it.
Obviously no one tell me, this is just a commentary
Well, I looked the descriptions up, and I would say the results, but you´ll likely get the same results, plus it´s obviously a no-no to do so here.

Asuka the Demonic Empress said:
Maybe talking with them instead of deeming them "enemies of the wikia" should help solving wathever problem they might have.
That strongly depends on how you define "enemies of the wiki" - there might be individuals that disagree with our ratings and have their own beliefs on what tiering/abilities a character has that would personally think the wiki is bad but nothing above "i hate this wiki". Then there's people like this guy which aren't even susceptible to reason and try to avoid conversing their unrealistic and juvenile goals of attacking the wiki for minuscule reasons at hand.

Otherwise, an unfortunate caveout of having a large community is having a larger quantity of drama that scales to its size - a portion of which is drawn from individuals attempting to raid the wiki for petty reasons at hand rather than the recent occurrences. It's best for us to move along with our normal day and simply report any of the 'enemies of the wiki' that intend on instigating drama/harm to the wiki if reasoning with them does not work.

Aside from that, it's a sigh of relief to have a filter that significantly (or at least by a decent amount) reduces the chances of established members with little-to-no bad history getting banned for practically nothing aside from quoting a post. Hopefully nobody ends up the same way Kepekley23 had.

Damage3245 said:
My only hope is this abuse filter is set up carefully so that innocent words aren't caught by mistake and a whole post is deleted over nothing.
I think that there is simply a warning message so the post has to be modified before it is transmitted.

@Numbersguy

We had the guy with that Russian ðæ-word in his username. We shouldn't use slurs from our languages as well. Keep in mind that the Fandom staff includes people not only from the USA and the UK.

@Ogurtsow

You can send me a PM at fanfiction.net where you tell me some extreme slurs in Russian that I should add to the filter settings.

@Crzer07

Actually I can technically add more slurs to the filter if necessary, but it would likely be too complicated to add them in every single language spoken by members of the wiki.

We have quite a lot of Russian members though, so I suppose that should be fine

So is it working? How does it work?

I'm asking only those who have tried. Please don't try if you have not tried it yet. Better be safe than sorry.

I think that it is supposed to simply give a warning message and stop the text from being posted.

Back