• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An imperfect solution to our recent problems

@Crzer

I saw how Kuzura (Russian global staff member) has deleted several pages with lots of Russian slurs in them in some random minor wikis. In the worst cases, he closes an uncultured wiki. Therefore we shouldn't use slurs from any language that various Fandom staff members speak natively (e.g. English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Russian and Chinese).

@Antvasima

I will do so later.

or you could like google "list of *insert language* profanity* and just cut and paste all the displayed results ;)

Well, the problem is that we are not allowed to say those words in the wiki, and somebody still needs to tell me about them, so I can add them to the filter. Fanfiction.net works of course, but it is mainly used by the staff.

@Crzer

We should only censor actual severe slurs, not mere profanity.

Ogurtsow said:
@Crzer

I saw how Kuzura (Russian global staff member) has deleted several pages with lots of Russian slurs in them in some random minor wikis. In the worst cases, he closes an uncultured wiki. Therefore we shouldn't use slurs from any language that various Fandom staff members speak natively (e.g. English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Russian and Chinese).

@Antvasima

I will do so later.
I did use a Cantonese slur with the same meaning as f*ck in chat back then, would that be fine or not?

Slurs are severe insults based on ethnicity, sexuality, religion, disability, etcetera, not just swear words.

The filter has stopped 17 edits so far from people who test if the script is working.

Take note that I have added quite a lot of slurs to the filter to stay on the safe side, with the help of private messages from other staff members.

I'd like to see what comes up but... I'd rather not be spontaneously banned if its not working and what I type actually enters fandom's all seeing eye.

Is there a way of seeing what is in the filter? This seems like the kind of thing that should be made transparent so it is clear what is permitted and what is not permitted.

Since it obviously can't be listed on here, listing on an external place might work.

Well, the problem is that if I typed out the words in a public information letter, I would get banned as well (if the filter was not there to stop the text from being posted), and I would rather keep the URL of the script secret, as it is safest if only the bureaucrats and the Fandom staff change the settings. One wrong edit and the script stops working, or starts to automatically ban people instead, for example.

I am also not sure if I would be allowed to take a screencapture and post it on Imgur.

I suppose a list of racist/homophobic/words and nothing else probably isn't the best thing to post anywhere

Yes. Agreed.

Anyway, I have tried to be thorough, but it is still much better to not go around posting lots of slurs. It is a safety net, not a guarantee.

I think that isn't a slur, but it may be safer to avoid such terms anyway.

Antvasima really worked his ass off on this. I pray that people don't succumb to temptation and try to actually test this shit out.

Monarch Laciel said:
I suppose a list of racist/homophobic/words and nothing else probably isn't the best thing to post anywhere
^ Right. Not worth the risk.

Anyway, Soldier Blue, Ryukama, Promestein, Dragonmasterxyz, and Reppuzan have together already suggested plenty of slurs to be added to the filter, and I came up with some as well, but if other staff members know of more, please send me a PM at fanfiction.net.

"wanking to new limits"

just testing something. I'd noticed "wanking" was censored earlier in the thread and was worried that a common term for overestimating characters had been censored.

A Stoned Orc said:
"wanking to new limits"
just testing something. I'd noticed "wanking" was censored earlier in the thread and was worried that a common term for overestimating characters had been censored.
I noticed that too... weird. How else are gonna prevent the birth of another Suggsesque writer if we cant shame them with regards to their wanking of a particular franchise?

Kepekley will get to ask to have his ban period shortened in a few months. I think that CursedGentleman can probably do the same thing.

Speaking of the f-word, if you wish to write a short version of the Fun & Games forum, please write F&G from now onwards, or the filter will not let you submit the post.

Antvasima said:
Speaking of the f-word, if you wish to write a short version of the Fun & Games forum, please write F&G from now onwards, or the filter will not let you submit the post.
^ Yes. I was going to mention this before, but forgot.

Curse my pathetic memory!

@Spino

Cal-Boy is from China, and Ffaarr is from Taiwan. I have no idea how much similar the Cantonese and Mandarin languages are.

Back