• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ainz Ooal Gown vs Strahd von Zarovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
Ainz gets to fight another haxxy vampire in a 1v1 battle. But does DnD have enough resistance and hax forkery put a proper fight against the ruler of Nazarick?

Both start 50 meters apart, battle takes place in Barovia. Speed is equalized.

Ainz Ooal Gow -

Strahd von Zarovich - 9 (Saga, DragonEmperor, Bambu, Pixel, Schnee, Apies, Delta, Apeiron, LSirlancelot)

Incon -

Hail Ainz Ooal Gown
Strahd

IT

DELETED

MY

RESPONSE

Basically.

1. I have to assume the battlefield is in Barovia. Strahd can't leave his country, no single Darklord is capable of leaving.

2. It is most in-character to either A. kill him (which in this case is negated, Strahd is intelligent enough to recognize a Lich and in-universe those are practically impossible to kill), B. take him over (less likely since Liches are generally heavily resistant to mindphuckery, but that doesn't mean it is off the table), C. capture/subdue. Most likely done via in-character Soul Binding. Basically, since a Darklord is trapped in their realm, they try to trap others there with them, effectively sealing them in the sub-dimension. The last thing qualifies as a mixture of Sealing and Soul Manipulation and is used to tie people to some place with defined borders- most likely Strahd would go with some dungeon or far-off church.

3. AP gap is huge but Strahd can regen from Death and the first points of damage are absorbed by the Crystal Heart, which takes basically everything until it is destroyed.

Mr. Bambu said:
1. I have to assume the battlefield is in Barovia. Strahd can't leave his country, no single Darklord is capable of leaving.
I'll change the setting, whoops.

Mr. Bambu said:
Most likely done via in-character Soul Binding. Basically, since a Darklord is trapped in their realm, they try to trap others there with them, effectively sealing them in the sub-dimension. The last thing qualifies as a mixture of Sealing and Soul Manipulation and is used to tie people to some place with defined borders- most likely Strahd would go with some dungeon or far-off church.
Is this fast-acting enough for Ainz to not teleport in response?

Mr. Bambu said:
3. AP gap is huge but Strahd can regen from Death and the first points of damage are absorbed by the Crystal Heart, which takes basically everything until it is destroyed.
Ainz can prevent resurrection with certain spells. Fighting against a vampire, Ainz would expect YGGDRASIL resistances and use appropriate spells to bypass them. The Goal of All Life is Death could probably bypass Strahd's death resistance and true death would prevent ressurecting/Regenerationn.

Could Strahd regen from being vaped by something like Fallen Down?

Can't Ainz tell roughly how strong his opponent is? He should just time stop and start slapping Strahd with spells that are super effective to undead. He could also time it with a Super Tier, not sure how long the regen takes tbh. At this point he is going to jump for TGoALiD with True Death or something since the vamp just came back from whatever remains were left after the Super Tier.

AnonymousBlank said:
Can't Ainz tell roughly how strong his opponent is?
Yes, Ainz can detect strength, mana level, resistances, and a bunch of other stuff.

AnonymousBlank said:
Can't Ainz tell roughly how strong his opponent is? He should just time stop and start slapping Strahd with spells that are super effective to undead. He could also time it with a Super Tier, not sure how long the regen takes tbh. At this point he is going to jump for TGoALiD with True Death or something since the vamp just came back from whatever remains were left after the Super Tier.
^^^

I really think Ainz wins FRA. I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said. Either he bombs him away with anti-Undead spells, vaporizes with Fallen Down, bypasses resistances and kills... Unless there's something more to it this is pretty straight-forward.

I'd wait for Bambu to respond again before we start voting, personally.

I'll hold off from officially voting, then.

1. danke

2. Yes and no. It prepares a bit of time (a few seconds) to actually cast but then he can just wait to touch him. Strahd also has teleportation to be clear and can teleport himself and others.

3. Strahd can unironically resist having his resurrection negated. There are other spells but this is just one example. Also Strahd can dispel magic with a fairly large scaling chain of resistance (his DC would be like 23, average resistance would be like 11 and 10 would be not resisting at all). He can also detect magic, to be clear, and get a rough idea on how strong his enemy is (not hugely relevant just pointing that out). Finally, Strahd's "resurrection" isn't resurrection, it is regen. Upon reaching a certain point in health he automatically turns to vapor and retreats to regenerate from said vapor about an hour later.

@Anonymous Strahd resists Time Manip, once again with a fairly large scaling chai. He also resists Death Manipulation (for reference, on these links look at the area called "Saving Throw"- this denotes whether or not you can save from this effect and resist).

Just to explain how resistances work: A DC (Difficulty Check) denotes the in-game value you need to roll in order to resist. Now obviously the DC and resistance bonuses (known as Saves) each character has increases with more levels/magic they get. Generally this means it would be a coin flip if they save- if it were not for the fact that you can just "Take 10" canonically, essentially take an average roll to automatically resist. This means a resistance score of each character is 10 + Their respective saves. Strahd's own saves average out at about 22, meaning 22 links in the scaling chain of his resistances. Certain spells are considered resistance negating as they are not affected by saves at all, this includes things like Power Word Kill (a big boy spell).

Yes, I figured. Do they have an exact value or roughly just "a scaling chain" rather than "a scaling chain like this"

I should also note that through an ability known as Legendary Resistances Strahd can automatically enhance his own resistances against a single attack/ability to say "why yes I do resist that thank you very much and kindly now get yeeted".

Overlord has Tiered Magic, with tiers going from 1-10 and then with an additional Super Tier. There are characters who resist X up to X tier, but tiers above that outclass them. For example most humans would resist Hamsuke's mindhax, but an undead like Ainz wouldn't be affected by anything barring a World Tier item (which he would negate anyways due to possesing one himself).

I'll comment more in a bit, busy atm.

Okay for sake of ease how many tiers are there

Strahd's own resistances are enough to deal with, like I said, 12 tiers of resistance

Mr. Bambu said:
Okay for sake of ease how many tiers are there
Strahd's own resistances are enough to deal with, like I said, 12 tiers of resistance
10 tiers + Super Tier + World Class Items, so around 12.

Would equate to Ainz's resistances, IDK about his resistance negation.

Should also note Strahd's DCs for big boy spells would be 13 tiers above baseline.

I also wanna point out that with Mind Fog Strahd can reduce the target's mental resistances if need be, since, again, that is particularly in-character for Strahd.

Ainz using a world tier item would negate around 11 tiers of resistance, Super-tier spells would negate 10.

Thing is we don't have confirmed tiers for a number of his spells. The Goal of all Life is Death lets him kill stuff that isn't even alive and negates Super-Tier resistances so IDK if Strahd could resist that.

I mean Strahd's resistances still apply. In D&D you absolutely can't death manip an undead creature. Can't poison them, can't do anything. Not even a god could.

That said, he'd still have his resistances.

Mr. Bambu said:
I mean Strahd's resistances still apply. In D&D you absolutely can't death manip an undead creature. Can't poison them, can't do anything. Not even a god could.
That said, he'd still have his resistances.
Same goes for Overlord, actually. World Class items are above what would be considered "Godly" in Overlord.

,They legit even bypass stuff like Wish.

...inability to be death-haxed by 4-D people is an anti-feat?

Regardless Strahd still has his resistances but still, what?

that's just a rule, damage immunity applies to everything

Generally speaking they can just say "well I'll kill you with this thing you don't resist since you can't possibly deal with it you ******* nerd"

It's very difficult to measure the potency of Overlord hax. In theory, Ainz would be able to survive a Widen Magic Cry Of The Banshee due to his resistance, along with spells like True Death and Grasp Heart.

But regardless, can Strahd deal with TGOALID? Also, can Strahd deal with Ainz blasting him over and over any time he can't TGOALID due to the AP advantage?

Also, just pointing out, The Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown raises "...the user's racial abilities, and allow them to bypass immunities." Assuming he's using that here, that's going to help a bit.

There's also Wish Upon a Star, alongside soul hax and other methods if death doesn't work. Among others..

TGOALID isn't 4-D, is it? If so then it isn't bypassing Strahd's immunity to all things tied to Fort Saves.

Strahd can regen from damage but admittedly AP is Ainz' best advantage I think since Strahd seems to have a larger scaling chain.

What does Wish Upon a Star do? Strahd still resists soul hax to be clear.

...Okay, 4-D resistance will be a wee bit of an issue.

How can Strahd actually win?

Lowering resistances to mindhax via Mind Fog and mindhaxing, or sealing him within a confined part of Barovia via Soul Anchor.

Mr. Bambu said:
Lowering resistances to mindhax via Mind Fog and mindhaxing, or sealing him within a confined part of Barovia via Soul Anchor.
Considering his already high resistances alongside the Staff, I'm doubtful either will really get far. How strong is his soul hax resistance?

It's Wish.

Considering D&D Wish is absurdly OP and probably has some level of 4-D forkery to it...

It's basically Wish, but probably not with all the 4-D shenanigans.

D&D wish is causality manip, but noted.

Soul hax resistance is the same level as mindhax resistance.

Strahd's mindhax is 13 tiers above baseline at peak (23 Save DC) and Mind Fog makes resistances lower, to be clear.

In the end I guess I'd vote incon? Ainz can just AP rofl Strahd and eventually discover how to permanently kill him. However I'm fairly sure Strahd's hax can wittle down Ainz via Soul Bind or any number of mindhax abilities.

Incon would sound about accurate if that's how it would play out.

In theory. Basically Ainz would have to kill him over and over until he manages to figure out where his vapor form rests (a coffin in a completely sealed room treated with nondetection, meaning shit like scrying and tracking won't show it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back