• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
This thread is about an issue that bothered me for quite some time.

Basically, several characters on the wiki treat being crushed flat and recover like Mid Regeneration.

The problem is that this should be considered Elasticy, unless their bones and innards are shown to be literally splattered and crushed, and then regrow/regenerate.

Some of the characters that currently come into my mind also possess Toon Force, or aren't stranger to this type of stuff, and their recovery is portrayed in a comedic way, which are further reasons to not consider this actual healing.

This issue affects characters like Mario (and related characters such as Luigi, Peach etc..), Bayonetta, Homer Simpson and most likely more.

Edit: I'm adding more characters affected by this: Several characters from Sonic, several characters from Kirby

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll update the OP once more of these profiles come up.

Bear in mind that Regeneration would be entirely removed only if this is the only feat, I want to specificy this just to avoid misconceptions.

I don't want my TR meowth to lose mid regen ;-;

Agreed, pretty much all of those are comedic in nature so there is definitely no organ destruction there

I think if you differentiate between being crushed vs being flattened its a self-resolving issue, just have to edit profiles that have regen from it.

If it's done in a cartoonish matter; which i do agree most of these characters are. I agree a combination of elasticy and toon force makes more sense. If we here the sounds of their bones being crushed and regenerate from that it would have been a different story.

Yeah if there's like, blood coming out or any other signs of injury then it should be regeneration. A crushing noise is a bit more ambiguous but I don't necessarily disagree.

Hat Kid, Gary from Spongebob, possibly this guy, that's all I could find, by the way, excluding characters who have it only as supporting evidence for stuff like Mid-High. Rayman's profile is a worthy mention since his regen is all over the place.

Hold on, I was looking up "crushed flat", not "flattened".

Mega Man, Hazbin Hotel demons (albeit these ones explicitly have regen i think so idk), Jerry Mouse, Pac-Man, Theatrical Shorts, Mickey Mouse, Red from Angry Birds, Crash Bandicoot, Wander from Wander over Yonder, Otis from Barnyard (lmao), Alex from Madagascar, Roger Rabbit, Eris from Billy & Mandy, Bub from Bubble Bobble

and probably other characters from these series

yeah i give up this has gotta be done overtime

I extremely agree with this.

It's clear that the characters in question weren't actually damaged in a manner to fix with regeneration to begin with, but rather simply recovering in a cartoonish manner, and so it should be indexed accordingly as such, rather than effectively giving another power out of nowhere.

I absolutely agree with this and the general requirements posted here.

However, as an example of a unique situation, what about a character like Pong Paddle who appears to be inorganic? Should we discuss special requirements for characters with unique physiologies?

If it's done in a cartoonish matter; which i do agree most of these characters are. I agree a combination of elasticy and toon force makes more sense. If we here the sounds of their bones being crushed and regenerate from that it would have been a different story.
Yes, as Armor said, if there are reason to consider it actual healing, that it's totally fine.

I will skim through all the mentioned characters and try to evaluate them:

Also, if no links are provided on the profiles or this thread, the feat should just be removed by default.

Mario cast: No links provided, but it surely comes from things like the Thwomps and similar hazards across all games, including Mario Kart. This is definitely Toon Force, so it's not valid.

Bayonetta: I don't remember where this happens in the game, links would be well accepted.

Homer Simpson: No links are provided once again, but I'm fairly sure it's a cartoony feat, we should take a look it, though.

Sonic: Toon Force, broken link idk how to fix it, toon force, toon force, toon force, toon force

Kirby: No links are provided, but it's a rather common trope in the series to be flattened by heavy objects, and no bones or blood are shown whatsoever, it's toon force.

Player (Monster Island): It comes from this, classic cartoony flattening.

Hat Kid: Toon force

Gary the Snail: No links are provided

Rayman: The first link is broken, the other is toon force

Mega Man: He doesn't even get flattened, it's generic damage

Jerry Mouse: In the first link he doesn't really get chopped in half, the second is broken but it's most likely a toon force gag given the series

Pac Man: Toon Force

Mickey Mouse: Toon force

Red (Angry Birds): Toon force

Crash Bandicoot: Toon force because it comes from the racing games, where being flattened is the same as in Mario Kart and Sonic Racing

Wander (WOY): It already mentions it being cartoony

Otis: No links are provided

Alex the Lion: No links are provided but it sounds like a repeteated gag of him being flattened by Gloria the Hippo

Roger Rabbit: No links, but it's definitely toon force given the character

Eris (Billy&Mandy): No links, probably toon force given the show

Bub: Toon force

So far, they all seem to be cartoony feats, maybe a couple like Homer, Gary (mostly because of the shell, I think) and Bayonetta might be saved if we manage to find links, otherwise they shouldn't stay.

I absolutely agree with this and the general requirements posted here.

However, as an example of a unique situation, what about a character like Pong Paddle who appears to be inorganic? Should we discuss special requirements for characters with unique physiologies?
Its profile already mentions it being made of rubber or a similar material, regeneration should be moved to elasticity.

Those are fine, if characters have other regeneration feats then they and the power will stay.

Jerry's profile doesn't have them as of now, if anyone can find them they'd be gladly accepted.

Those are fine, if characters have other regeneration feats then they and the power will stay.

Jerry's profile doesn't have them as of now, if anyone can find them they'd be gladly accepted.
Well that's the problem, most of them are spread out everywhere and some are even in risk of being copyright striked so it'll be really, really hard to find them.

If someone manages to find them, then they can be added, but we shouldn't leave the current justification, even if it's wrong, just because we don't have replacements.

If someone manages to find them, then they can be added, but we shouldn't leave the current justification, even if it's wrong, just because we don't have replacements.
Yeah, for now, just replace the justification with "Has consistently regenerated from being turned into ashes".

Back