• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Pokemon Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
So this is important. How do we translate Pokemon type weaknesses to Vs battles. Types like Dark, Fairy, ghost and normal. Like are demons dark types? Are spirits automatically ghost types? Are magic users Fairy types? I dunno.

That is rather something that should be best be avoided as that will not work at all. In Fairy Tail, there is a lot of type of magic in this case that will not fit the type weakness for Pokemons.

Pretty sure ghosts, spirits, souls etc. are ghost types.

Dark seems..well, darkness. Maybe not demons in general though.

Normal is well normal. Any normal physical attack I guess. Fairy are probably for, well, fairies.

Problem is that if the pokemon uses a move against that type of opponent then is it "supereffective?"

I honestly think the "super effective" part could be reduced to do limited damage due to very high defense or other things like a barrier.

I'm somewhat doubtful if we should make Pokémon do supereffective damage on non-mons characters.

But it only really double the damage I guess.

See that's the problem. Typing should go both ways in that case since it does so in their world.

Look there is a simple solution. We don't translate their super-effective hits, but we translate their weaknesses into Elemental Weaknesses.

However that would make Psychic and Ghosts weak to souls themselves. So every Psychic type is weak to every Soul Reaper and such.

Yeah but isn't that how it works in other ghost medias like Yokai Watch as well, as Yo-kai constantly are able to Inspirit each other to defeat them like in the Anime.

I'm with Saikou, Darkness Manipulation based skills should count as Dark type, but not demon themselves, unless they're stated to be Darkness as a whole.

I don't think Fairy should equal all Magic, no. Not sure would count as Fairy, though..

I'm really confused on Fighting type moves though.

Dark seems pretty simple as it would resemble more to demons and darkness like characters

However, types like Normal, Fairy, and Dragon have no limit to what they can be classified as, they can literally be classified under anything. They arent even actual attributes like the elements

I mean we have reality warping like powers such as RoT and SR classified as Dragon moves.........

You could simply write down "Weaknesses: Takes extra damage from Darkness type Pokemon" and similar into each page.

I do not think that this necessarily translates to characters from other media.

Anime4Life2020 said:
Dark seems pretty simple as it would resemble more to demons and darkness like characters
However, types like Normal, Fairy, and Dragon have no limit to what they can be classified as, they can literally be classified under anything. They arent even actual attributes like the elements

I mean we have reality warping like powers such as RoT and SR classified as Dragon moves.........
You could simply classify Dragon-Type Moves as Non-Elemental (and in the case of RoT and SR, Time and Space Elemental respectively.)

Antvasima said:
You could simply write down "Weaknesses: Takes extra damage from Darkness type Pokemon" and similar into each page.
I do not think that this necessarily translates to characters from other media.
So pretty much that they are weak to only pokemon types of that kind? Aside from normal elemental attacks?

Well, if they are weak to such attacks from any type of Pokemon, you could obviously write down "Weaknesses: Takes extra damage from Darkness type attacks" instead.

I am the wrong person to ask. I do not play Pokemon.

Well, "Fairy type attacks" obviously do not scale to other franchises, so it is uncertain if the others do as well.

"Weaknesses: Takes extra damage from Darkness type attacks from other Pokemon" might be safest, as that is all that we know for certain.

I think this is a higly case by case basis. If we leave it that the pokemon will take extra damage from only other pokemon, this will kinda be unfair in matches no?

Take Pikachu for ex. if he's immune to electric based attacks and weak against ground attacks, we eliminate his weakness and keep his strength.

The elemental weaknesses and strengths should either be dropped entirely or be implemented in a case by case basis, there's no way we can classify all attacls in franchises to pokemon type attacks.

ScarletFirefly said:
I think this is a higly case by case basis. If we leave it that the pokemon will take extra damage from only other pokemon, this will kinda be unfair in matches no?
Take Pikachu for ex. if he's immune to electric based attacks and weak against ground attacks, we eliminate his weakness and keep his strength.

The elemental weaknesses and strengths should either be dropped entirely or be implemented in a case by case basis, there's no way we can classify all attacls in franchises to pokemon type attacks.
But thats the thing tho. There really is no such thing is "non mons" or "nothing classifed by pokemon types".

Pokemon in general vary from many to countless different types of species so its extremely difficult to classify others as "non mons" and for their types, a few out of the obvious elemental ones can be classified as pretty much anything.

ScarletFirefly said:

But the problem is that is it fair for say Mewtwo to be weak to a spirit and uses shadow ball but the spirit only takes normal damage?

There's also the case on how to quantify super effective or not very effective damage against the Pokemon's conventional durability. Like for example, a Steel/Rock pokemon with durability of Multi-City Block is hit by an attack which is normally Small Town level of AP but the attack seems most likely to be classified as Normal-type (which would deal 1/4 damage to a Steel/Rock type). Would the said pokemon survive the attack?

Another question to ponder about is "what about type immunities?". The game mechanics make it so that type immunity makes the attack deal absolutely no damage at all. This could potentially be a NLF but how will we get around this?

Yes. I am aware, but, for example, what should we classify "fairy type" attacks as in a general sense? Magic?

I'm wondering that as well. I was wondering whether Fairy or Steel could be the Light Element.

Dazzling gleam is not a moon based skill and Xerneas is easily not moon based. I believe Fairy could in fact be light.

Perhaps we should only write down weaknesses that clearly translate in a more general sense?

@Golem That is something that I can agree on the other hand. Don't forget about Electric being effective against water as well. Poison is ineffective against Ground Type moves.... Oh god certain abilities could be taken account that could bypass type weaknesses.

We can only cross scale verse mechanics which is common enough in general. Fairy type is a strict pokemon verse mechanic (like logia for One Piece) so we can't use it for other verse for offense or defence (like immunity to dragon type)

Faisal Shourov said:
We can only cross scale verse mechanics which is common enough in general. Fairy type is a strict pokemon verse mechanic (like logia for One Piece) so we can't use it for other verse for offense or defence (like immunity to dragon type)
So what do you propose we do about this situation.?

Dragonmasterxyz said:
So what do you propose we do about this situation.?
We will ignore the strict verse mechanics in general, and occassionally go case by case basis. For pokemons case, it's definition of dragons is unique (dragons are just creatures in almost every other verse, not certain pokemon moves or types which have certain weakness or immunity). So we will ignore pokemon's verse mechanic here for being unique and exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back