• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon as pets ranking

DaReaperMan

Bronze Supporter
Oh boy, this is gonna be a fun one.

Allright, let's get the elephant out of the room, the rules

All of these categories are ranked from 0-5 with a peak of 25 in total
simple concept, if you're buying a bird, you probably need a birdcage, if you're buying a cat, you probably need a litter box, if you're buying a dog, you probably need a dog bed

If you're buying what's essentially a ******* whale, you need a ******* pool that'll cost multi-millions of dollars. If you're getting a significant other, you need to probably double what you usually get for food and buy another bed and whatnot.

Pokemon who rank highly in this category take little to no preparation to house and pokemon who rank low are usually are usually borderline impossible to house without either extreme damage to your house(example, Raticate) or need so much room you might as well just buy a part of a state(Example: Wailord, Onyx)
While even the most nasty of pokemon can be trained to be well behaved(See the amount of gengars people have that don't eat baby souls) this category is to decide how easy that process is going to be, and whether or not you want the pokemon to know where you sleep.

Read their dex entries. If you want to know outside of the anime.

Pokémon that rank highly in this category are easy or effortless to train, pokemon that rank low are going to require extensive training to even get it to stop eating your soul when you sleep
How easy is the Pokémon going to be to groom, feed, and keep clean? Simple concept

pokémon who rank highly in this are either self-sufficient or very easy to care for(Example, Eevee, Venasaur) and Pokémon who rank low in this category eat baby souls and believe me they like those things fresh.

Will the pokemon be dangerous to you? Often a mix of behavior and typing, this decides whether you're bringing a pretty puppy who couldn't harm a fly(Eevee) or literal magma and flames the pokemon(Magmotar and Moltres are a couple examples)

Easy to rank, very high rankings are usually the work of safe pets who aren't a threat to the most stupid members of your family, and very low rankings are GOING to kill someone. It might not be on purpose, but it's going to happen.

A simple thing with a simple premise. Each type has a specific numerical value and dual types will be a middle ground between the two types, which means that yes, .5s are a thing.

• Fire: +1 While Fire Types as a whole usually aren't bad behaved or anything like that, what hurts them a lot is 1 big thing: Most Fire Type dex entries go on about how high their temperatures are repeatedly making for terrible housing(Flammable stuff is terrible for them cause it will burn), Safety(Yes, the thing thats like 1000 degrees celcius sure is safe for your well-being), and Ease of Care(Good luck grooming or bathing something that melts the damn brush and vaporizes the water on contact)
  • Water: +4 Water types aren't +5 becuase housing one usually varies from Swimming Pool to God damn ocean, shit that ain't common, but their benefits are that they're usually easy to care for and Safety is often a cinch
  • Grass: +5 Grass Types are among the most bland types, as such they make for great pets because they're often self-sufficient or just need water and sun, are easy as hell to house, and often times aren't gonna be low on Safety too.
  • Ghost: +0 Yeah you know that eating fresh baby souls I joked about earlier in the ease of care section? That's most ghost types, usually scoring 0 in Safety and pretty low in behavior, the only upside to owning one are the fact housing one is usually easy, but when your pet is generally Devil incarnate in personality and Black Hole in Safety you find issues.
  • Dark: +1 usually Poor behavior and safety but decent housing makes Dark challenging to give higher then a +1.
  • Bug: +1 Most people are afraid of bugs, now imagine the fact these things are often hell to house and have low ease of care and safety and the +1 fits.
  • Rock: +2 Rock Types often are hard to house and somewhat low on safety but that's really it, they're not Satan personified and often are self-sufficient. Earning a middle of the road rating
  • Ground: +2 You could Copy/paste Rock's Justification here and it'd work. The types usually get paired together for a reason.
  • Dragon: +2 The thing with Dragon Types is they're often ******* massive and as such Housing, and Ease of Care dip as a result. Safety is usually mid on them though so... yeah. Low +2.
  • Psychic: +3 Having a pet that can do your ******* taxes for you and is probably smart enough to go buy the foot it wants and get a job, Ease of care is usually really ******* high. Housing is usually like inviting another person to your house though and Psychics can sometimes be assholes and that's why they're not +4.
  • Poison: +0 The difference between Ghost and Poison is that Ghost probably meant to kill you, but Poison probably did it just by existing, Housing is usually hell, Personality is often bad, and ease of care for eating literal garbage half the time is the literal only minute upside.
  • Fairy: +5 oh look, the good happy pink guy type, Personality, Ease of Care, and especially Safety are usually maxed on these.
  • Electric: +2 Unfortunately, Electrics often make bad pets because they have this nasty tendency to go into Electric plants and cause chaos plus the fact Electricity as a baseline is dangerous. Usually decent ease of care and housing though.
  • Fighting: +1 Inviting another person to live with you that's probably gonna try and sock you at least a few times is not a good time.
  • Flying: +3 It's a bird. The only reason flying isn't +2 is because it's basically getting a plane for way cheaper.
  • Ice: +3 Usually easy to care for and easy to house, the only issue is safety and that's only because of Elemental properties.
  • Normal: +5 Oh look, basic bitch=good pet. Next.
  • Steel: +3 Self-sufficient or easy to feed plus decent behavior usually equals positive type.
Now that all of that is over with, pick a pokemon and rate it!

Since I have their Bulbapedia page open, let's see Tentacruel!

Housing: 1 It's a 1.6 m Jellyfish that tank's gotta be pretty large. Also it lives in complex rock formations on the ocean floor the pressure needed for that would be insane

Behavior: 3 Their Dex entries don't say but I can't imagine it would be very good. At least it alerts others to danger.

Ease of Care: 2 Someone would have to clean that tank and also feed it all that fish and it aint me

Safety: 2 it's poisonous lol at least if it flashes the red on its head you know to get away from the ultrasonic blast

Type: 2 Water is good, poison is not

That's a 10 out of 25 which is expected from a 1.6 meter poison jellyfish

My favourite Pokemon is Sharpedo so

Housing: 0 Shit rips through supertankers and also presumably need a lot of ocean since it's so fast this would be hell

Behaviour: 0 no lol

Ease of Care: 1 The only good thing about this is that the fangs regenerate. Good luck trying to care for those Rough Skin

Safety: 0 If you bleed near Sharpedo you die. If you don't you would die anyways when Sharpedo escapes the tank

Type: 2.5 Maybe typing isn't such a good indicator...?

3.5/25, what did you expect.

You got the idea from that one youtuber who ranked all the Kanto Pokemon this way right
Also Significant Other..? as a Pokemon?

My second favourite is Chandelure so

Housing: 2 I'd say its fine cos its a Ghost just give it walks to graveyards and hospitals but
ShieldIn homes illuminated by Chandelure instead of lights, funerals were a constant occurrence— or so it's said.
It gets a 2 cos it's only a rumor.

Behaviour: 3 I mean you could tame one

Ease of Care: 2 I mean just let it out near dying people right? Right? Just don't touch the flames.

Safety: 0 If you accidentally touch the flames you lose your spirit and are forced to wander the mortal world forever no thank you

Type: 0.5

7.5/25 at least it's not Sharpedo

Since I have their Bulbapedia page open, let's see Tentacruel!

Housing: 1 It's a 1.6 m Jellyfish that tank's gotta be pretty large. Also it lives in complex rock formations on the ocean floor the pressure needed for that would be insane

Behavior: 3 Their Dex entries don't say but I can't imagine it would be very good. At least it alerts others to danger.

Ease of Care: 2 Someone would have to clean that tank and also feed it all that fish and it aint me

Safety: 2 it's poisonous lol at least if it flashes the red on its head you know to get away from the ultrasonic blast

Type: 2 Water is good, poison is not

That's a 10 out of 25 which is expected from a 1.6 meter poison jellyfish

My favourite Pokemon is Sharpedo so

Housing: 0 Shit rips through supertankers and also presumably need a lot of ocean since it's so fast this would be hell

Behaviour: 0 no lol

Ease of Care: 1 The only good thing about this is that the fangs regenerate. Good luck trying to care for those Rough Skin

Safety: 0 If you bleed near Sharpedo you die. If you don't you would die anyways when Sharpedo escapes the tank

Type: 2.5 Maybe typing isn't such a good indicator...?

3.5/25, what did you expect.

You got the idea from that one youtuber who ranked all the Kanto Pokemon this way right
Also Significant Other..? as a Pokemon?

My second favourite is Chandelure so

Housing: 2 I'd say its fine cos its a Ghost just give it walks to graveyards and hospitals but
ShieldIn homes illuminated by Chandelure instead of lights, funerals were a constant occurrence— or so it's said.
It gets a 2 cos it's only a rumor.

Behaviour: 3 I mean you could tame one

Ease of Care: 2 I mean just let it out near dying people right? Right? Just don't touch the flames.

Safety: 0 If you accidentally touch the flames you lose your spirit and are forced to wander the mortal world forever no thank you

Type: 0.5

7.5/25 at least it's not Sharpedo
Doesn't Tentacruel have poisonous tentacles? There's that.

But your concerns on typing really get big when we look at Raticate who...

Housing: 2 Raticates bring with them a **** ton of ratatas, I hope you didn't like your walls cause these things go through them like they're nothing, on the bright side you can put them damn near anywhere and they'll thrive, which is why they aren't a God damn 0.

Behavior: 0 It might not eat babies but these things are basically turbosatan, see Safety.

Ease of care: 4 these things can literally eat trash, so I don't think you really need much beyond what you'd normally get.

Typing: 5 Yep. Normal type.

11/25

Ease of care and Typing boost this thing to double digits when in reality you'd NEVER want one

It's an imperfect system, but one that works nonetheless

Last edited:
In fact let's do my own favorite pokemon

Mewtwo.
Yeah you know he scores low as ****.

There's the fact that having a pet that's smarter then you can be a pain and then there's it's personality.

Behavior: 0 Mewtwo wants to avoid humanity entirely or ******* destroy them, so you can imagine that trying to keep him as a ******* pet is not going to please him.

Ease of care: 0 Not only is it inviting another person into your house, it's inviting another person who's going to reearange everything you have and probably make his own basement dwelling with your money if he even wants to be nice about it and doesn't just steal what he wants from the shops.

Safety: 0 You are one ****-up away from having your mind ****** in ways you would not believe at all times.

Housing: 1 it's still living with another person, and that takes extensive prep-work.

Typing: 3

4/25

Not what I'm looking for in a cat.

Slowpoke

I mean do I even need to elaborate? Those things are literal potatoes who score perfectly they're so damn easy
Yes, but

SWABLU has light and fluffy wings that are like cottony clouds. This POKéMON is not frightened of people. It lands on the heads of people and sits there like a cotton-fluff hat
Beat that

Eevee

Literally perfect.
Even if it evolves it'll remain perfect since it won't become any dangerous type without your permission.
It's cute, cuddly, puffy and friendly.
If i turn it into Sylveon it would be able to lift heavy stuff for the lulz.

Eevee

Literally perfect.
Even if it evolves it'll remain perfect since it won't become any dangerous type without your permission.
It's cute, cuddly, puffy and friendly.
If i turn it into Sylveon it would be able to lift heavy stuff for the lulz.
Unfortunately it doesn't actually score perfectly in behavior cause sometimes it just... bodyswaps with you.

Btw, you didn't give them points?
I mean Eevee is basically a perfect small dog except for the fact it bodyswaps with you, it literally scores 5 in everything except the thing you'd expect it to be 5 in most of all

Don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was just a straight up Eevee
Yeah i can't find it. It has no moves to allow for that either. It never does so in the games, anime or in the first three generations of manga I've read up on (red to fire red and leaf green).

Can we get a perfect 0 here? It has to be Ghost or Poison and no other type so I can't choose Eternatus or Giratina, not very many pure poisons, Ghastly line not being a pure 0 because ease of care, same with stuff like Weezing...

Ditto sounds good and especially much more fun than just a boring Eevee.

Normal Type is +5.

Ease of care is pretty much +6. It copies other Pokémon on a genetic level, so if any Pokémon can eat the food you prepared, then so can Ditto. When it sleeps it transforms into a rock (according to Pokédex) so no sleeping place is required.

Housing is +5. Since it can change its size you can also keep it anywhere. And even without that, a 0.3m slime is easy to store.

Behaviour is +5. To quote "With its astonishing capacity for metamorphosis, it can get along with anything. It does not get along well with its fellow Ditto." So as long as you keep just one, you are guaranteed to get along. You of course might want to train it to transform according to your wishes, but that's part of the fun.

Safety is the only one where I would say it might be below +5. While Ditto has a good character it still has the theoretical ability to transform into a lethal monstrosity. That said, if you don't show it dangerous Pokémon it is unlikely to copy them. So just keep it isolated until you trained it. I would say a +4 or so.

Edit: Honestly, I feel like fun is a missing factor in the rating system. By the system as it is, a patch of moss would get a highscore of +25. But is that really the pet you want?

(Ditto would be a 5 in fun and everyone knows why)

Last edited:
Gonna go with my main squeeze SNORLAX.

Housing: 3. Snorlax's are pretty damn large, but don't actually move all that much. So...in terms of housing I could probably just toss it in the backyard.

Behavior: 5. Snorlax just eats and sleeps. It's canonically so lazy even normal children can play on top of it without danger. It would be difficult to train for battle, presumably, but just as a pet it wouldn't be hard at all.

Ease of Care: 2. Snorlax needs almost half a ton worth of food PER DAY to feel satisfied. The good thing is that Snorlax doesn't care what it eats, and can digest anything, so you don't need to feed it anything specific...but that's still a HUGE cost that I certainly couldn't afford. In terms of grooming, I could probably just trim its hair and hose it down while it's sleeping.

Safety: 5. Snorlax isn't hostile in the slightest. I could use it as a bed and it wouldn't care. The only safety concern would be me dying of starvation after it eats my entire fridge-

Typing: 5. It's a normal type.

Gonna do my fave. Pokemon n# 385 Jirachi

250px-0385Jirachi.png
(These little guys are a pain to get in Pokemon Mistery Dungeon, but worth it)

Housing: 5
It's a small 0.3m floating baby that will be sleeping for a 1.000 years and will only spend like a week awake in between. You can probably just leave it floating on some random spot in your basement, considering it's usually chilling in caves and such.

Behaviour: 4
It pretty much only cares about the pure of heart and will avoid and likely never be seen by those who aren't, so while it likely won't be best friends with your average vsbattle coomer it's usually very docile and dislikes conflict. The -1 is mostly due to the fact that it will instinctively fight back if it senses danger while asleep, wich is understandable, since obviously letting itself be tortured by it's trainer is too much to ask for a 5, but could be troublesome if some dumb kid decided to throw a rock at it.

Ease of Care: 5
Will sleep for a 1000 years without needing nutrients and can only be prematurely awakened by the singing of a pure hearted person. I doubt it even needs to eat while awake, but probably wouldn't say no if you gave it a berry. It also crystallizes while sleeping, so chances are even if you don't do anything to it it will watch the end of mankind through nuclear warfare and still be fine.

Safety: 4
Same as behaviour. Very docile pokemon that would rather avoid conflict and will only approach people who are guaranteed to treat it well. Loses a point since it might kill a child or some other pokemon that decides to test it's patience while it's sleeping though.

Typing: 3
Psychic Steel. Also a pseudo legendary.

Fun: 3 (1 while sleeping/ 5 while awake)
It will be a sleeping floating prop in your basement for many generations except the first week you get to keep it, wich is quite meh. But while awake it can play with kids, do cute pokemon antics and even grant 3 ******* wishes while it's awake, wich is more than enough to make it more than worth it to keep. Depending on the pokedex entry it can be woken freely through "the singing of a pure hearted person" wich will probably let them play with it freely for some time if you have a very nice child.

21/25 24/30 with fun.

Last edited:
Ditto sounds good and especially much more fun than just a boring Eevee.

Normal Type is +5.

Ease of care is pretty much +6. It copies other Pokémon on a genetic level, so if any Pokémon can eat the food you prepared, then so can Ditto. When it sleeps it transforms into a rock (according to Pokédex) so no sleeping place is required.

Housing is +5. Since it can change its size you can also keep it anywhere. And even without that, a 0.3m slime is easy to store.

Behaviour is +5. To quote "With its astonishing capacity for metamorphosis, it can get along with anything. It does not get along well with its fellow Ditto." So as long as you keep just one, you are guaranteed to get along. You of course might want to train it to transform according to your wishes, but that's part of the fun.

Safety is the only one where I would say it might be below +5. While Ditto has a good character it still has the theoretical ability to transform into a lethal monstrosity. That said, if you don't show it dangerous Pokémon it is unlikely to copy them. So just keep it isolated until you trained it. I would say a +4 or so.

Edit: Honestly, I feel like fun is a missing factor in the rating system. By the system as it is, a patch of moss would get a highscore of +25. But is that really the pet you want?
Problem with a fun rating is the fact that it's extremely subjective

For instance, someone might find a gengar fun but another person thinks it's Devil incarnate and should be exterminated

Since I'm mentioning Gengar so much...

Safety: -10 Sure, muk and folks like Venomoth kill you by being near them, but Gengar is literally going to be trying to kill you, these things are evil, they know it, and it's going to be like having a God damn sadistic gorilla that wants you dead and is going to go through walls to make it happen slowly and painfully.

Behavior: 0 Gengar pretty much murders people and is unwieldy as all hell, it's going to be trying to kill you as much as it would anything else

Ease of Care: 0 These things pretty much eat fresh baby souls and other people, so feeding it is damn hard since you have to get it used to Rodents and whatnot for food.

Housing: 5 it's already in your house.

Typing: 0 Yeah Gengar is one of the primary reasons Ghost is ******* 0

5/25 with normal ratings, -5/25 with these ratings

So yeah, you would never want a Gengar, ever. In fact get a Pokémon that can protect you from a god damn Gengar.

Alakazam

Housing: 1 Same verse, same as the first, it's like inviting another person into your house.

Behavior: 3 Alakazam doesn't really have anything saying its well-behaved or bad-behaved, just treat it well and you should be fine

Ease of care: 5 Alakazam will literally care for itself, if it wants food it'd probably just make some or go and buy some

Safety: 4 It's a pretty safe Pokémon to be around, but yeah if provoked it probably is gonna give you a brain blast. Or if it has a headache, both drop it from 5

Typing: 3 Solid Psychic type

16/25

You aren't buying a pet with Alakazam, you're buying someone to do your taxes for you. Or your homework. Or your working from home work

I'll do some gen 5 favs I guess.

Reuniclus
Housing: This thing is native to what's basically New York, I think it'll be fine. Magic Guard means the climate doesn't matter either, and at 3' tall it's basically like a big dog. 5/5.
Behavior: Gets along well with others of its species, but also apparently likes to beat the shit out of everyone else. 2/5.
Ease of Care: I'm going to just assume that taking care of a giant cellular organism is a lot easier than taking care of a cat. 5/5.
Safety: Its entire body is highly toxic, 0/5.
Type: 3/5.
Overall: 15/25, still would keep one as a pet because I love this funny guy so much.

Archeops
Housing: It's a giant prehistoric bird as tall as a human that regularly runs at 25mph. Almost certainly illegal to own one irl. 0/5.
Behavior: Works well with other Archeops and generally seems pretty chill. Defeatist seems like it'd be an annoying personality trait though, I don't want my bird to have depression. 2/5.
Ease of Care: Whatever this thing eats, I can't afford it. Also, its feathers can only be restored by trained experts, and I am definitely not one. 0/5.
Safety: As long as it doesn't try to fly inside the house I think I'm good. 4/5.
Type: Combination rock and flying, so 2.5.
Overall: 8.5/25. Still would get one because just ******* look at him.
P8754_701-95985_01.jpg

Volcarona
Housing: Been a hot minute since I've played B/W but from what I remember the only place you get this thing is from the depths of an ancient decrepit desert ruin. 0/5.
Behavior: Actually good, seems to be very protective of those around it. 5/5.
Ease of Care: It's just been vibing at the bottom of a desert ruin for god knows how long so probably pretty low maintenance. 5/5.
Safety: lol. 0/5.
Type: Bug/Fire is an atrocious combo for pet care, 1/5.
Overall: 11/25 (somehow higher than Archeops???), but I also don't care because it looks soft and is also ******* Cool.

I'll do some gen 5 favs I guess.

Reuniclus
Housing: This thing is native to what's basically New York, I think it'll be fine. Magic Guard means the climate doesn't matter either, and at 3' tall it's basically like a big dog. 5/5.
Behavior: Gets along well with others of its species, but also apparently likes to beat the shit out of everyone else. 2/5.
Ease of Care: I'm going to just assume that taking care of a giant cellular organism is a lot easier than taking care of a cat. 5/5.
Safety: Its entire body is highly toxic, 0/5.
Type: 3/5.
Overall: 15/25, still would keep one as a pet because I love this funny guy so much.

Archeops
Housing: It's a giant prehistoric bird as tall as a human that regularly runs at 25mph. Almost certainly illegal to own one irl. 0/5.
Behavior: Works well with other Archeops and generally seems pretty chill. Defeatist seems like it'd be an annoying personality trait though, I don't want my bird to have depression. 2/5.
Ease of Care: Whatever this thing eats, I can't afford it. Also, its feathers can only be restored by trained experts, and I am definitely not one. 0/5.
Safety: As long as it doesn't try to fly inside the house I think I'm good. 4/5.
Type: Combination rock and flying, so 2.5.
Overall: 8.5/25. Still would get one because just ******* look at him.
P8754_701-95985_01.jpg

Volcarona
Housing: Been a hot minute since I've played B/W but from what I remember the only place you get this thing is from the depths of an ancient decrepit desert ruin. 0/5.
Behavior: Actually good, seems to be very protective of those around it. 5/5.
Ease of Care: It's just been vibing at the bottom of a desert ruin for god knows how long so probably pretty low maintenance. 5/5.
Safety: lol. 0/5.
Type: Bug/Fire is an atrocious combo for pet care, 1/5.
Overall: 11/25 (somehow higher than Archeops???), but I also don't care because it looks soft and is also ******* Cool.
Something I'd note about Archeops is that, as a fossil Pokémon, there's a level of ferocity you have to watch out for

Something I'd note about Archeops is that, as a fossil Pokémon, there's a level of ferocity you have to watch out for
Is that an established thing for fossil Pokemon? I just figured a wild animal from a million years ago wouldn't be much different from a wild animal you could find today.

Machamp!
He's gonna turn your mindset into a grindset and you better be buff enough to keep up. Also the Pet and person dynamic is fucky when your pet can literally pick you up.

Housing: 1 yep, it's another human-sized Pokémon!

Behavior: 2 Machamps are trainable but yeah they aren't the most notable Pokémon for being well-behaved

Safety: 1 A Machamp breathing on you wrong could probably break a bone or two, let alone it actually doing anything for real with megaton-level punches and whatnot. so uh... yeah.

Ease of Care: 3 Just get sufficient protein bars and you should be fine

Typing: 1 Fighting Types are only for the trainers who can keep up. Which isn't a normal person.
Is that an established thing for fossil Pokemon? I just figured a wild animal from a million years ago wouldn't be much different from a wild animal you could find today.
Yeah, it's like trying to tame a Velociraptor in Archeops' case

Back