• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AguilaR101 said:
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/diamond/diamprop.htm it's the same source you're using, check strength, compressive 110 GPa or 110,000 MPa

Also, when measuing lifting strength you use the cross-sectional area of the object, only use hand surface area if the object is larger than it.

For skulls this doesn't work as its cross sectional area is actually really small compared to larger bones.

Class M and Class K would only theoretically apply to crushing a solid, hand-sized chunk of diamond and bone respectively.
Aha what is the cross-section area of a skull?

Well, a quick estimation of what it would take to crush an engagement ring sized diamond by using the measurements from these page

Use this calculator to find cross-sectional area of an oval with 6.10mm and 6.14mm, give me an area of 29.4mm2, multiply by 110,000 to get a total of 3234000 newtons or 329,776.22 kgs, 329.776 Tonnes which is Class K lifting strength.

It's reliant on size of the diamond, so for specific instances of such a feat it could be much higher.

@Spinosaurus @Aguila could you estimate what it would take to shatter a coffee cup in your grasp

I don't think it will yield anything substantial, a cup can shatter if dropped from an altitude of a couple of meters, and it's also hard to calculate because of the hollowness.

Would this be worth calculating?

Strangling to death requires skill aside fom strength, and it is about wrestling of lifting strength between the two parties. Like if Y can choke X harder than X can struggle off from Y for an extended period of time, Y will strangle X to death. Like 1710 J can hang a 70 kg person to death by dropping the hanged man at 2.49 m in an 1888 British execution provided the man cannot struggle off. So a lifting energy differential bigger than that should help one strangle the another.

You'd probably have to pixelscale the area from one of those anatomy pictures where they show a cross section of a head.

Next batch:

24. Vaping a human: "Average body temperature is 97.7┬░C or 37.5┬░C " one of those shouldn't be ┬░C.

Page regarding skin & bone melting doesn't load for me.

982.2┬░C-37.5┬░C = 944.7┬░C Ôëá 1343.5 ┬░C

Aside from that I would include the latent heat for water. For the rest it doesn't make sense to do so, but for water it's a good idea.

25. Freezing a human: Why is the heat change 41┬░? 38┬░ should be enough.

But mostly ok. One should probably explain where the values come form, though.

26. Destroying the surface: Yep, that's fine.

27. Earths rotational energy: More or less same result as here, so it's ok.

28. Surviving Sun: No point in me checking that, but was already accepted in the past.

29. Punching hole through door:

Source for average door thickness?

Should be fine aside from that.

30. Breaking a bone: Nothing to check. Is Ok.

31. Destroying a sky scraper: Low end probably makes more sense.

I think this is ok.

32. Destroying a plane: Looks ok. For the page it should be pointed out that airplanes vary a lot and that shooting one down Ôëá fragmentation.

33. Melting a plane: Should be ok.

34. Muleting a tank: Not much point in me checking this. Some of the cut out explanations should be cut in again, though.

35. Melting a lake: I don't know why the pear lake was chosen, but the measurements of lakes are so varied, that there is no point of making a standard calculation for that. (And lakes usually aren't 100% frozen)

As usual, thank you very much for all of your help.

I think that all of the relevant calculations need to be updated accordingly then.

So Low 7-B for vaporizing a Skyscraper is okay? The real problem is melting a skyscraper being 7-A seems way off since melting should be below vaporization.

@Medeus

Do we use the melting calculation somewhere?

@Assembled

Okay, but massive quotes are inappropriate.

Hmm. I suppose that a new calculation might have to be made in that case.

Perhaps DontTalkDT can inspect both of these calculations, to see which one is correct, as they seem to contradict each other?

Okay. DontTalkDT is supposed to evaluate Spino's list though, just to make certain, since he is likely our most skilled mathematician.

If it is not a part of Spino's list, he is likely too busy to handle it.

Crzer07 said:
Cutting/slicing feats are also common as hell
True. Shear force is usable for them.

We are waiting for DontTalkDT to get the time to finish this.

I think the numbers have shifted? I was at melting a lake, so I will continue from 40. Tell me if I have accidentally skipped over something.

40. punching through a wall: I'm not sure why the calc works with walls, but talks about doors.

In any case it is a decent low end, i think.

41. Durability to be covered in fire: I think 250┬░C might actualy be kinda low for fire? Unless someone can tell me some common flame that is that cold at least. According to wikipedia even a candle flame is 1000┬░C. Even a cigarette reaches 400┬░C it seems.

Aside from that ok, I think.

42. Durability to tank lava: No point in checking my own calc.

43. Destroying a table: Probably ok.

44. Shattering a windshield: Probably ok.

45. Breaking a neck: Ok, so we are assuming a really broken neck.

Is there a reason to assume the largest vertebrae is broken? Like, is the the most common one to break?

There is a mistake in the volume conversion:

5.27 mm x 5.14 mm x 7.08 mm = 0.527 cm * 0.514 cm * 0.708 cm = 0.191781624 cm^3

0.191781624 cm^3 * 2 = 0.383563248 cm^3 Ôëá 38.356 cc

Same mistake with the other volume. It should be 2.55575 cc not 255.575cc

That aside, one wants to add the volume together first and then multiply with the J/cc.

Hence: (0.383563248 + 2.55575) x 51.6 = 151.6685635968 J

All of the problems mentioned above carry over to that. (except the last one, I guess)

Aside from all of those probably ok, though I imagine that some rather specific information are needed for that to be the best approximation.

(500 joules if you want the number)

Anwers to 45:

I have no idea why I said that vertebra was the largest one when it is actually the smallest one I could find dimensions for. I checked the breaking the spine calc I did and I said the same thing even though it is the one of the smallest I could find for the back. Sorry for the confusion on that.

Yes, I'm sure I made a mistake with the volume. I think it was when I converted the mm to cm to find cubic cm and it went downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back