• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

References for Common Feats Re-organization

I mean the pages that link to our common feats page with the https:// etc. format instead of internal wiki short links. The bot script would have to be able to handle and replace both versions. 🙏

I mean the pages that link to our common feats page with the https:// etc. format instead of internal wiki short links. The bot script would have to be able to handle and replace both versions. 🙏
That won't be necessary. I can use the LinkSearch tool to find all the pages that do that and correct them all with one or two of my scripts to the internal format before we run this project.

I guess we’re on-task then. I’ll test out a few scripts tmrw morning; it’s night time for me here and I gotta sleep.

Also, how would our main common feats page look/be structured after this revision, and are there any potential downsodes with applying it, both mentioned in this discussion thread previously and otherwise?
I intend it to be similar to now, but instead of having the calculations under collapsibles, directly link to those calcs on separate pages. I also intend to remove the headers for each individual calc on the main page, to really force people to link the sub-pages rather than the section on the main page.

Some other downsides I can imagine would be:
  • One could no longer ctrl+f through the text of every calc (although this was already kinda difficult, essentially needing source view).
  • It could be more time consuming if one is unsure which header leads to the calc they're looking for if they only use a single browser tab (opening them up in new tabs is about the same difficulty as opening collapsibles, but some people just open in the same tab and then go back, which would be slower).
  • Adding new calcs to these sub-pages is a bit less intuitive than the current way.

And what about the wiki pages that use a full URL to our main common feats page, rather than short link format?
That can be accounted for via an additional rule, and besides, pages like that should honestly be few and far between.

In any case, those pages will still remain on the “what links here” function of the RCF page (as opposed to everything else which will now link to the individual pages) so it would be easy to determine which ones are formatted that way and fix it.

I intend it to be similar to now, but instead of having the calculations under collapsibles, directly link to those calcs on separate pages. I also intend to remove the headers for each individual calc on the main page, to really force people to link the sub-pages rather than the section on the main page.

Some other downsides I can imagine would be:
  • One could no longer ctrl+f through the text of every calc (although this was already kinda difficult, essentially needing source view).
  • It could be more time consuming if one is unsure which header leads to the calc they're looking for if they only use a single browser tab (opening them up in new tabs is about the same difficulty as opening collapsibles, but some people just open in the same tab and then go back, which would be slower).
  • Adding new calcs to these sub-pages is a bit less intuitive than the current way.
Okay. Thank you for the explanations. 🙏

However, you will still include the description titles and current organisation in the main common feats page, correct? You simply plan to remove the header format for them?

Last edited:
That can be accounted for via an additional rule, and besides, pages like that should honestly be few and far between.

In any case, those pages will still remain on the “what links here” function of the RCF page (as opposed to everything else which will now link to the individual pages) so it would be easy to determine which ones are formatted that way and fix it.
Okay. That is good then. Thank you. 🙏

OKay. Thank you for the explanations. 🙏

However, you will still include the description titles and current organisation in the main common feats page, correct? You simply plan to remove the header format for them?
Yes, I'm simply looking to move the main content of the calculations elsewhere.

Ah rats, Catz just brought another issue to my attention.

Within the References for Common Feats page, four sub-header names are repeated; "Getting Hit by a Car/Pickup Truck/Bus/Semi Truck". When linked to, the duplicate headers after the first are appended with a number, i.e. "Getting Hit by a Car 2".

I could simply keep this in mind, and name the sub-pages accordingly, but that touches on another issue; a lot of these subheader names are some combination of incredibly vague and overly long, i.e. [[References_for_Common_Feats#41_(1.0414_m),_28_3/4_(73.025_cm)_and_25_1/2_(64.77_cm)_inches]].

So I think our options are:
  1. Cancel this project, leaving future revisions of these common feats increasingly difficult.
  2. Implement a basic version of this project. This requires no more effort than discussed before, but leaves the subpages with ugly, uninformative names.
  3. Start off with a basic version of this project, but over time go through those with ugly names, create new subpages with proper names, and gradually move them over, using more complicated bot scripts sporadically, simple redirects, or manual effort.
  4. Start off with a more complicated version of the script, using the easy method where possible, but having many hardcoded alterations (i.e. [[#Getting Hit by a Car]] would change to [[/Hit by a Car - Not Slammed Into a Wall]], while [[#Getting Hit by a Car 2]] would change to [[/Hit by a Car - Slammed Into a Wall]]). These new names would be discussed ahead of time, so they could be properly implemented into the script.
I, personally, prefer option 3.

I also think that your option 3 above seems best to apply here. 🙏

Back