• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

A while ago Numbersguy created the following page:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:ArbitraryNumbers/References_for_Common_Feats

I do not know if the calculations are correct, but the principle itself is good.

Would the current calc group members be willing to collectively create such a page that is easy to use as a reference for our members?

Here are lists of such feats calculated by Ugarik and Votron5:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Ugarik/Common_feats_in_fictio

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Votron5/Calculations_for_Destroying_Certain_Objects

Edit:

Here is a blog that assembles a lot of these calculations, and that is currently gradually being evaluated by DontTalkDT:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan/Reference_for_Common_Feats

Getting hit by a vehicle calcs are wrong. You suppose to use mass of the person who got hit not mass of the vehicle

Okay. I would appreciate if somebody could ask all of the current calc group members, along with DontTalkDT, Assaltwaffle, and Kaltias, to comment here, as such a page in itself seems like a useful idea.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Feel free to inform all the people I mentioned above about this thread.

You also forgot to assume whether the characters are in a bracing position, if that's so, then it'd reduce the damage even further, as Antoniofer told.

Is anybody interested in informing the calc group about this thread? I think thatsuch a reference page would be very useful for the wiki, so it would be good if they could collaborate to write it.

I have informed most of the calc group members like Kep, Therefir, Antoniofer, Arbitrary himself, Bambu and a few others about this thread.

KLOL506 said:
Ugarik, the guy has to survive getting struck by the speeding vehicle first
I know it but the mass of the vehicle doesn't matter unless he was crushed between a vehicle and a wall

Wouldn't matter, he'd still have to survive the initial impact point where the car crashes into him. Most of the impact is spread out in case the person braces.

I would appreciate if you inform the remaining calc group members, along with DontTalkDT, Assaltwaffle, and Kaltias as well.

Okay. It would be good if they could collaborate to write a common feats reference page.

About the car feat, i think that the way to calc it is that one:

The linear momentum of the car+person system needs to remain the same. Linear momentum is m*v

Total momemtum = Person's mass*Person's speed + Car's Mass*Car's Speed.

The person is standing still, so their momentum is 0.

When the person gets hit, the momentum changes to (Person's mass + Car's mass)*New speed.

Due to the law of conservation of momentum. this two formula are equivalent.

Car's Mass*Car's Speed = (Person's mass + Car's mass)*New speed ->

CM*CS =(PM + CS)*NS -> NS = (CM*CS):(PM+CS).

Now that we have the speed, plug it into the KE formula using the mass of the person i think

Does this mean that the guy still has to survive getting hit by the car first?

The blog looks pretty good so far on paper. Kaltias' version of vehicle impacts also looks legit though. Wall busting calcs look good, and both of DT and Kepekley's comments on falling also look good.

KLOL506 said:
So, what would the final results be?
KE of the person = 0,5*Person's Mass * Speed^2.

Speed = (CM*CS):(PM+CS) as found above

KE = 0,5*PM*((CM*CS):(PM+CS))^2

This is the general formula.

The values vary based on the vehicle and the speed of course.

For example, using an average car in a neighborhood (Values taken from Arbitrary's and Ugarik's blogs):

KE = 0.5*70*((1500*11.176):(70+11.176))^2 = 1,4926846058709125262407272598081 x 10^6 J, which is Wall level

I'd be really glad if someone could check the math because i legit haven't calculated this kind of stuff in the last four or five years so my math is rusty to say the least lol

OOF.

BTW, is that value 1.492 megajoules? I'm getting kinda confused with the commas.

EDIT: NVM I figured it out. It is 1.492 megajoules. Sheesh. THIS IS PRETTY HIGH-END ON THE WALL-LEVEL SPECTRUM. I never thought you had to have more dura than the car's actual KE output. Yeesh.

I'm not getting them mixed up, that's how we write numbers in Italy.

I'll write it in scientific notation so we can avoid getting confused

Damn, man, to think the guy would have to take much more energy than the car's KE itself. OOF to the highest degree.

Oh okay, sorry about that. But It's usually the opposite in most places.

That seems odd to be honest where is the extra energy coming from exactly?

Also there should be a clear distinction about what kind of scenario is being calculated in the first place

For example, you would normally expect this (warning: deer gets harmed) to happen, the one getting hit is sent flying as a result. For this one you definitely can't use the full KE of the vehicle.

Whereas in fiction you could see something like this, the one tanking it makes the vehicle stop dead in its tracks. This one is actually scalable to the total KE as it was practically nullified upon impact.

There's also the fact that even a slow-moving car of good weight (1500 kilos is not that far off from modern-day hypercars) can badly damage another car even if you go at the tip or even uproot large metal poles and moderate-sized trees.

AguilaR101 said:
That seems odd to be honest where is the extra energy coming from exactly?
It does, that' why i asked if someone could check it.

I'll retry.

FinalSpeed = (MassCar*InitialSpeed):(MassPerson+MassCar)

Using the values above this is 10,677707006369426751592356687898 m/s

KE of the person is 3990,4699419854760842224836707371 J

Ok, that makes more sense. Guess i messed up the numbers somewhere above

It's low end wall level, which i guess makes sense when you consider the fact that people irl can survive that and bones have wall level dura

That's the value for the person sent flying btw. If someone outright stops the car without being ragdolled, use the KE of the vehicle

3990 joules is Street level tho. What about the impact with the car itself? He'd have to survive that.

Kaltias said:
That's the value for the person sent flying btw. If someone outright stops the car without being ragdolled, use the KE of the vehicle
Can't we just use speed of the car and mass of the person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back