• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A front page layout update

Indeed, the ads make the VBW logo appear where it shouldn't here too. Maybe you could send FANDOM a message to put them further down, where the "Information" and "Partner Wikis" sections are.

I'd personally prefer if the tabber didn't contain the whole page but overall the change is nice.

The Archdemon said:
We could have a Christmas layout
I think that we used a Christmas version of the logo image previously. I will check if I can find it.

After talking with the Fandom support, and trying different things to adjust the front page layout, the only workable solution that they eventually came up with was to make the media section images smaller, so they would line up in rows of 5 no matter the size of the screen, and despite the advertisement to the right pushing down our VS Battles logo image.

The problem is that small icons do not look quite as good, and I had to go from 190px to 118px scaling in order to make this work, so I would appreciate community input.

Small icons with even smaller fonts don't look quite as good as before, but at least they are aligned correctly now. I am neutral, both versions have their advantages and disadvantages and it's not that big a deal anyway.

It looks really bad for desktop tbh. I think we should just stay with the current way we have it. May not fit all the way for mobile but it's not as bad as what this looks for desktop IMO

Okay, so should I revert to 190px?

Okay. It is probably best to wait a bit for more input first though.

I have received another reply from Fandom:

"Hey again,

I'm sorry, but as I said before, the advertisement is a standard, unchangeable part of every wiki's main page design.

I don't know that I agree that what you have now looks worse than what was there before.

But I can see areas for possible improvement. It looks like you have the captions as a part of the design. That means that when you shrink the size of the icon, you're also shrinking the text. Were it my wiki, I'd certainly divorce the caption from the icon itself, create a gallery, and place actual captions underneath the images. That way, the images could be a bit bigger, and the captions would be legible. By using < gallery > code, you can also choose to position="center" the entire thing, which would make the gallery fit better on the page.

https://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Galleries,_Slideshows,_and_Sliders/wikitext

Almost every wiki updated in the last few years has a gallery on the front page, so take a look around Fandom for inspiration!"

Is this something that might be a good idea, and if so, would other staff members be willing to help out with modifying the icons?

What do the rest of you think?

Here is what it currently looks like:

Screenshot 20181206-183857 Samsung Experience Home
Screenshot 20181206-183950 Firefox
Screenshot 20181206-184228 Firefox

It is important for me to get input here, as I need to know if the new layout will be helpful or a detriment to the wiki's popularity.

The only problem I'm seeing on my laptop is that the text below the icons look small. The size of icons is fine tho and everything else looks good. Is there a way to make the text bigger?

Screenshot (108).

Well, the easiest way to do so with the current formatting is to remove the text boxes from the full size images, make sure that the blue circles around them are complete, and then edit the gallery coding so there is regular text below the images instead.

Alternately somebody could edit the images so the text boxes below them turns a bit larger, comparatively speaking. That would likely work better. However, I use a tablet, am not skilled with Photoshop, and am already very busy.

So is anybody willing to help out with editing the image text boxes in Photoshop so they turn a bit larger vertically?

Antvasima said:
So is anybody willing to help out with editing the image text boxes in Photoshop so they turn a bit larger vertically?
I can. Just tell me the font used in text boxes.

Ryukama is the one who originally created them. You would have to ask him for information.

I made an improved version because the previous one had a bit too much water blur.
XJSXM6n4USz4 2
version 2

Back