• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Crimson_Azoth

VS Battles
Retired
Petervshomer
The Bronze Final begins! These two fell at the second to last hurdle, but let's see who can go home with their pride more or less repaired

Winner of the last round was Stomp #15692197518351

Current Standings: https://challonge.com/dvuvfz7p

The contestants for this round are Assefa Berber, submitted by Litentric Teon versus Samuel Vimes, submitted by Mr. Bambu

Speed is equalised. Battle takes place in the dead of night.

Assefa is 152 kilojoules, Samuel is 384 kilojoules

Assefa Berber: 0

Samuel Vimes: 3 (Bambu, Cinnabar, Arsenal)

Incon: 0

Death and Destiny, Assefa
Samuel vimes

Oh that one's good too. This one I feel represents Connie's run in this tournamnet so far:
Connie Killer
You can ignore the left side since it likely doesn't make sense to you.

Okay. Let's do this.

Obviously the AP gap is a bit over 2x- nothing to sneeze at but not an immense game changer.

Vimes' precog is spotty and vision based- it happens only in times of dire need so it isn't guaranteed, though I s'pose this would qualify.

At night (which, under SBA, it is, at least for Sam) he has perfect and complete knowledge of where everything is, and with a moment he can learn vital information about his enemies. He can see perfectly in said darkness, obviously.

Skill wise, Sam is > the various assassins of the world, who have feats varying in insanity from being able to kill a target inside of their heavily defended mansion without anyone realizing to literally assassinating a Low 2-C abstract and out-skilling Death (even if they were then killed since he's sorta a Low 2-C). If you don't believe me, read Hogfather- the entire book is based on the premise of killing Discworld's equivalent of Santa.

As I said on the other thread, I lean towards Sam- the AP doesn't hurt, and being able to inflict enough damage to overcome regen is certainly helpful.

Mr. Bambu said:
At night (which, under SBA, it is, at least for Sam) he has perfect and complete knowledge of where everything is, and with a moment he can learn vital information about his enemies. He can see perfectly in said darkness, obviously.
Just to confirm, I have placed the battle at night. Assefa can apparently see in the dark, so it shouldn't be a problem and gives the Discworld Dude his full arsenal

Right. Even without specification SBA makes time of day whatever is optimal for either combatant, so that gets covered anyways.

Yeah in the dark Sam has an advantage. Assefa is an absolute god of stealth but that's immediately countered by Sam vision in the dark. The question is, can he get past the regen?

I'd think so? Like we did in Alec's thing I'd think just hitting lots and hard enough would do it.

Enough damage can surpass it yeah, and with the AP advantage of x2, you'd think (in a night time scenario) Sam holds the advantage and can hit him hard enough in the head to win. I mean, he'd certainly try that tactic after noticing nothing else working

And it also isn't like Sam hasn't dealt with shapeshifters/regenerative animals before. Case in point, The Fifth Elephant. He and Carrot fought with a crazed werewolf and in-universe Angua, a weaker werewolf, regenerated from being shot pretty quickly.

For reference, even though he got stomped into oblivion by a literal child (yeet), just glad Sam got a couple of matches. Whether or not he wins or loses this one, I'm happy he got used. Sam is unironically my favorite character on this wiki. He was when I added him back in 2016- my first page when I didn't know shit about how to do this stuff.

Thanks for having him. I appreciate it.

I mean, I still don't feel like Sanura's necklace has been properly addressed.

Firstly, as shot to the head should constitute a one shot. His regen isn't something that repairs massive damage to his organs.

Second, with an AP advantage of only two times, that's not really enough to deal him significant enough damage that his regen can't heal him from without something in particular. Like, someone two times stronger isn't suddenly going to be seriously damaging organs with each of their attacks. Sam seems to be more skilled than Assefa here, but Assefa is still no slouch, and will land his fair share of blows.

Also, if Sanura's necklace is activated, which seems fairly likely, CQC for Sam is out. But Sam doesn't have too many options outside of that. And seeing as how it would likely be a physical attack that would cause Sanura's necklace to activate, Sam would suffer rather extreme damage. Since he can't regen from it, he would be extraordinarily slowed down, where as Assefa would literally be starting afresh. I don't see a way for Sam to win without activating Sanura's necklace, so Assefa should take it because of that.

@Bambu

I'm actually really glad to hear that Sam is your favorite character.

Both of them unfortunately get stomped by Connie, lol. Only because of AP. Neight precog nor regen + necklace are enough to cover that big of a gap.

Assefa only has Mid-Low regen in the heat of the moment, that just flat out isn't enough to survive a lethal attack. It took him a minute to fully regenerate from something on his own level- 2.5x AP will make that worse, moreso if a vital organ is hit (crossbows Sam has access to are often mechanically designed to do this, often with arrowheads breaking down into shrapnel once inside the body).

Under SBA they won't be melee fighting for a long time. They are 200 m from each other.

Litentric Teon said:
@Bambu
I'm actually really glad to hear that Sam is your favorite character.

Both of them unfortunately get stomped by Connie, lol. Only because of AP. Neight precog nor regen + necklace are enough to cover that big of a gap.
and yeah unfortunately AP gap is too big to gap. maybe someday we redo this with more AP balancing and I'll toss my cynical bastard of a copper in.

I mean, perhaps the bullet isn't the best example. He regens in maybe seconds in fights against other were-cats all the time. In one specific instance in book two, he fought a were-cat whom was essentially drugged on magic and Assefa regened from all of his attacks without even so much as a scar. Whether it be a cut to the forehead, hit to the gut, etc.

If they start 200m from each other then I suppose it'll be a shooting contest at first. I'm not sure if Sam has unlimited arrows or not. I'd imagine they'd both run out before one is taken down.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of work to do tonight, so I won't really be able to be on much from this point onwards.

Surface damage =/= damage that pierces the flesh

It's never stated how many arrows he keeps exactly but it's enough to sustain extended periods of combat. In Jingo he hears of an alternate timeline that he was supposed to have gone down- a timeline told to him as a series of "appointments" by his Watch, which is run by an Imp.

Basically the series of events describes how the army he was currently making peace with invaded his home city and slaughtered pretty much everyone he knew. He was the last to die after what I believe was 30 minutes or so of solid fighting.

Ah. So I take it he was essentially shooting nonstop for 30 minutes then?

Also, in reference to his speed on his profile, if he crossed an entire city in mere minutes, wouldn't that be far higher than just peak human?

Presumably? It wasn't presented as a single stream of clear info but it was something like an appointment schedule, was the "joke":

9:21: Make final stand at Bronze Bridge

9:32: Retreat to Street of Cunning Artificiers

9:36: Gather survivors for last battle.

9:41: Watch Seargeant Detritus die.

9:41.5: Watch Captain Carrot die.

9:41.58: Watch Captain Angua die.

9:46: die die die

etc

And no, since we don't get a timeframe for it ever. We just know that he and those that scale are a lot faster than normal. folk.

Nope. The worst thing is, I have a work camp in 1 hr that goes for 8 hrs. So if this doesn't get finished soon, the final won't be for ages

Back