• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Finally got around to Bambu's suggestion.

Speed is equalized

9-B Forms (Assefa is in his Pre-Mate Bond form and starts off in human form)

Starting distance is 7 meters.

Fight takes place on some random sidewalk in Pittsburgh.

Who wins!?

Assefa Berber: 1 (Jackythejack)

Samuel Vimes: 1 (Mr. Bambu)

wait what

did I suggest this

also might wanna link to profiles, assuming this is the only 9-B Samuel I know of at Samuel Vimes who is currently undergoing light revisions

If it is vimes, he currently downscales heavily from this.

Oh, right. I stay forgetting to link profiles on the battle.

Oh, wow. Those values are pretty different. I guess it depends on just how far he downscales.

And yeah, you suggested it when I calced the KE of Assefa's Mngwa charging.

Far enough that the given attack KO's him but he's managed to "tank" that several times.

Okay. So in your eyes is this match fair or should it be closed?

Also, there's another guy who's 9-B in this verse. Does that calc scale to him?

In Discworld? There's tons of 9-Bs though the verse is heavily outdated on-site rn.

But yeah most scale to him except certain characters that will be added later, but most of them are haxy-ish (like Susan Sto-Helit).

Unsure. I don't remember Tiger Guy's AP.

Nvm, Samuel has about a 2.5x AP advantage. Match should be fair.

I was just checking, lol.

Alright, that's solid then. I guess we'll see how long it takes anyone else to comment on the match.

As for my opinion on the match before I go to work- time of day is set under SBA to befit both of them, which means night time for Samuel. In the dark, Samuel has immense night vision that exceeds normal sight, clairvoyance to the point of knowing pretty much everything about anything that happens in darkness, and something akin to echolocation- he knos where everything is for a pretty vast radius. His precognition is sadly not very good and rarely combat applicable.

Fighting style wise, Samuel is a veteran of both street fighting (and dirty tricks) as well as formal combat fighting, having been trained in one or the other since he was a child.

Ah. This seems to be a good match then. Assefa also has very good night vision due to his were-cat physiology. And has been trained in fighting in both cat and human form since he was a child. He also should've had government training as he's part of a government organization, in addition to the training he went through with his fellow were-cats.

I'm not sure how their experiences would compare. Assefa's job is to hunt and kill dangerous supernaturals, so he has much experience dealing with many physical threats. Though Samuel's echolocation and night vision means Assefa sneaking up on him is something very unlikely.

They seem to be pretty similar. The primary difference is their AP. Other than that there's Sanura's necklace, which is pretty big for Assefa. And Samuel's dirty tricks. Though they might be less effective given that Assefa's brother, Razi, is a similar kind of fighter.

I like this more than I thought I would.

Oh yeah, Samuel has a crossbow, right? And Assefa has a gun.

So they're close in combat experience/training. Samuel too has fought supernatural threats in the past, keep in mind- werewolves and the like aren't exactly uncommon.

If we're giving Samuel all equipment he's used then technically he has a gun too, though he'd be hard pressed to use it. A single gun was made on Discworld and was used by Samuel when he took it from Cruces, though he refrained from using it since he couldn't kill (being a cop and all). However he's much more likely to go for the crossbow. Keep in mind Discworld crossbows are much more advanced than real world crossbows, like to the point that there's about as many variances of crossbow as there are variances of gun in the real world.

I kinda figured. I have them starting pretty close, so I'm not sure how likely they are to go for a ranged attack either. And given that Sam seem to be a full-human, Assefa is unlikely to pull out his gun and just shoot him.

Yeah. Seems pretty close. There's only but so many differences between the two.

Well. Sorta. Sam is technically a full-human possessed by an abstract demon-older-than-time-and-has-no-form but the only way of visibly seeing that is the mark on his arm.

XD

I'm not sure whether or not Assefa will sense that demon. He might feel something off, but I still doubt he'll just shoot him right off the bat. The man (were-cat) can be cold, but he's not that cold.

I feel like with regen, empathic manipulation and the duplication Aseffa should be able to take this, as he can at least heal a little during the fight which the other guy can't really do. At the same time I'm not sure if that empathic manipulation would work on a male buuut it's an option, and the duplication just seems difficult to fight if you're fighting, or think you're fighting if that's how it works, multiple people at once.

I wonder if it's not specified on the profile.

Assefa doesn't have empathic manipulation (I don't think he has resistance to it either), and he only has duplication via his witch, Sanura, casting a spell on him. She's not here so he can't multiply.

I totally forgot that Assefa has a regen advantage, lol.

Oh, wait, he does, lmao.

But yeah, I don't think his pheromones would work here. He doesn't use them in combat anyway.

Oh shoot. Well even then that regen should help a lot in this fight, as he should be constantly regenerating until he can take the guy down, as he...wouldn't be regenerating.

I mean

Mid-Low Regen isn't a huge deal considering the gap

It's a fair point I guess. How long does his Low-Mid take? Coz that could skew the battle if it was in reasonable time, methinks.

It can vary a bit, but it's pretty slow.

The Low-Mid is mostly because his bones can take a significant time to heal. (There was a scene where he had to change into his Mngwa after after a battle to expedite the healing of life-threatening injuries) Several hours iirc correctly. And he heals faster in Mngwa form. But internal damage should heal fairly similarly to external damage. Like, he seems kinda borderline High-Low but he can't reattach lost limbs or grow back fingers/toes, etc. But small organ damage certainly seems well within the realm of possibility for him.

I honestly think his biggest boon is Sanura's necklace. And possibly his weight as a Mngwa depending on Sam's lifting strength.

Okay so Low-Mid is out. Dunno what his weight is but Sam can parry/take down/etc Trolls- they're a lot bigger than humans and are made of stone. The profile picture here shows the troll in question compared to Vimes.

The necklace in question seems to wait until being on their death bed, yes? If that is the case I doubt it would be useful if Sam can get him to that point. When he has killed (it is rare), he doesn't wait. A good quote describing this is here:

Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.
~ Men At Arms​
Vimes does not hesitate if he is willing to kill.

Assefa is the exact same when he's going for the kill.

Yeah, that troll should definitely be heavier than Assefa if it's made out of stone.

The necklace actually has two roles. One, it actually provides him with a similar level of Regenerationn to his own. This essentially doubles his regen speed, where his regular regen at the Mid-low level was already like two or three seconds at most. So it'll appear like he doesn't take any external damage at least.

The necklace will activate as Assefa is nearing death, yes. But the Leucrota in book three who broke Assefa's back wasn't waiting either. The necklace activated instantly, burning the attacker through heating Assefa's skin before rejuvenating Assefa completely. Same thing would happen with Sam. Say, he does something like break Assefa's arm while in human form, or perhaps his leg while in Mngwa form. The part of Sam's body touching Assefa will be burned likely beyond repair (considering Sanura is stronger than Assefa in terms of raw AP in part). Which essentially means that Assefa will be starting the battle afresh while Sam will have a rather crippling injury.

I'll also have to go back to see how long it heats his skin. I can't quite recall.

I realize, I more meant that from context it sounded like the necklace took a bit. If that's wrong then of course discount what I said lol.

I figured. Trolls aren't light.

Currently I'm unsurprisingly leaning Vimes since I know more context on him. Assefa being all heated up wouldn't affect him much and his ability to know where everything is and everything that has happened in the dark gives him big advantages, not to mention the 2.5x AP gap.

To be clear, I am not disregarding Assefa's own advantages, such as they are and such as I know of them. The regen negates surface damage, and his own senses aren't bad.

Lol, understood.

Yeah. Stone troll weight >> Mngwa weight

Makes sense. If I wasn't OP I'd be leaning towards Assefa for similar reasons. Samuel's nighttime senses are likely better since he knows everything going on at night. Even against Assefa's enhanced senses. Though I will say, if Assefa stays heated for an extended period of time, that could prove issue as at that point it wouldn't be his AP but his witch's, at least in terms of the heat itself. It also might be difficult to land blows on the Mngwa simply because of his stature, being low profile, and not humanoid. But Sam has also fought supernatural creatures, so that may not be an issue.

I'm aware, lol. You always take everything into account and vote based on your honest opinion. I'd never doubt that.

Your vote has been added. Thank you.

Might actually try to calc their weight if I can find good scaling official artwork.

Back