• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

9-A World's Greatest Fighters Tournament: Shang-Chi vs Liu Kang (Round 1)

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
Ladies and gentleman, the second matchup of Round 1 of the 9-A World's Greatest Fighters Tournament!

Introducing first, the current wielder of the Ten Rings, Shang-Chi!

And his opponent, Earthrealm's greatest warrior and champion, Liu Kang!

Rules are stated here.

This one's gonna be hype! A lot of people were already talking about how much fighting potential this one has! Let's see who comes out as top dog here.

Earthrealm's Greatest Warrior: 7 (Armor, Amphetamine, Volley, Super, Lemon, Knifeman, Dinamic)

Wielder of the Ten Rings:

Sucks to be y'all lmao:

CKdaBkW.png

Last edited:
Cool match-up, actually. Liu Kang definitely strikes me as having a big versatility advantage, though.

Feels like Liu has everything Shang has but better and more.
Even the Mandarin's "thousands years of combat skill" is rather vague and could be countered by Raiden's (likewise vague) millions of years.

Ooh yeah, I'll wait for an argument but I'd be surprised if Shang-Chi can really do much here.

Well despite this being a weaker version of Liu, this is still Liu Kang with his experience. Winning two Mortal Kombat tournaments in a row (with matches against 2v1s like his fight with Quan Chi and Scorpion), defeating all challengers in the Shaolin's qualification tourney before MK9, being trained by Bo' Rai Cho before said tourney, etc. As much as I think skill debates are obnoxious these days, it might actually be useful here since these two are martial artists. A few questions:

• What's Shang Chi's level of acrobatics? He has the ability but the types aren't listed and there's no justification
  • Does he have the Ten Rings here? I know it's up to Low 7-C but I wanna be sure because it's also listed as Higher, which tells me that it can reach that level but it starts at 9-A

• Does he have the Ten Rings here? I know it's up to Low 7-C but I wanna be sure because it's also listed as Higher, which tells me that it can reach that level but it starts at 9-A
I don't think he does.

Iirc, the Ten Rings make him reach Low 7-C. I might've read the profile wrong, though.

I think the "higher" rating is for when he only has a couple of the Rings. Personally I'd be in favor of giving them to him, it'd make the fight more interesting.

Yeah having seen a few of his scenes before, he did use like half of the rings he got from Mandarin

edit: he only did the Low 7-C feat with the ten rings, as in five rings on each of his arms

Here's an example of Shang-Chi's fighting style with the rings, they're mainly essentially a remote-controlled whip/series of projectiles that he can break apart and reconstruct at will, or put around his arms to boost his physical strikes. Additionally, he can use it for mobility by shooting himself into the air.

This should also even AP in Shang-Chi's favor given that it's rated as higher. I'm not sure actually, I feel like Liu Kang probably has enough material to counter them but the rings are a very powerful tool.

Hmm looking at this one fight, their acrobatics are equal with the self-momentum shown in that fight and the big jumps he makes with the rings

Range is kind of irrelevant with the stage and the starting distance here, though when it comes to being sent to the far edges of the arena away from each other, Liu takes it with range and the variety of projectiles he has from his fireballs to the soul spheres he has in his Dualist variation (which his revenant used in the MKX story) as well as the various dragon summons that he has

Although Liu initially held the AP and dura advantage until SC was given half of the rings here, he can still amp the damage he deals with his punches and kicks with flames, but the exact value it increases his damage by is unknown (but it's still a boost, which was enough to knock out other 9-A MK fighters like Jacqui Briggs after a fight between them)

I'm not going to underestimate the rings here, but I'd say he'd have enough prowess (because I HATE using the word "skill" now that it's been tainted) to match with or even prevail over SC's use of the rings. I'm seeing SC use it as a whip, a shield or just something to throw in the way of an attack to block it, a platform to step on, armor that also enhances his strikes, and most important of all as a restraint when he can wrap Liu around it.

SC definitely has an advantage in melee combat when he uses the rings as a whip versus Liu's shorter nunchaku, but Liu takes it in hand-to-hand combat if it ever comes to that and ways to make up for his disadvantages versus SC's rings. If he gets wrapped up, he can teleport himself to escape, release fire around him to knock back the rings and SC if he's too close, or just rely on good old Class K lifting strength to break out of them.

As for how Liu wins this, he might get initially overwhelmed with the rings' better uses as a whip and a ricocheting projectile, though he'll eventually adapt (not implying he has such power, it's just that he changes tactics when he's seen what it can do, given that he was taught to "fight his enemies by any means necessary" by Raiden) and try to zone him out where he has the advantage. Plus immediate and convenient teleportation is super handy here for both a surprise attack and a way to reposition himself to his advantage.

Okay, a few things in favor of Shang-Chi:

• As he wear's the Dragon Scale armor, he upscale in both AP and dura two times from the 308 calc, so he would endure lots of punishment from Liu Kang
  • His staff is made of an ancient magic material that can damage dark creatures, i would say there could be a possibility for him to deflect Liu Kang projectiles if they were also magic-like
  • Shang is quite clever in battle and know how to use the environment in his favor, when he notices Liu Kang has better acrobatics he would stay in the center of the arena, don't allowing Liu Kang to use his craziest maneuvers
  • This would also apply to the rings, when he noticed that Liu Kang has better LS and could use the ring as a platform he most likely would retreat it to have strong punches and be able to send Liu Kang flying
    • Although i will say he doesn't do that in the movie, he could theoretically use the retreated rings and the staff at the same time, with the long wood helping him to keep some distance from Liu Kang
  • He also did disarm an opponent two times in the movie (Three if you count the rings), so i can also see him taking Liu Kang nunchaku to maintain the higher range in the close combat

Okay, a few things in favor of Shang-Chi:

• As he wear's the Dragon Scale armor, he upscale in both AP and dura two times from the 308 calc, so he would endure lots of punishment from Liu Kang
  • His staff is made of an ancient magic material that can damage dark creatures, i would say there could be a possibility for him to deflect Liu Kang projectiles if they were also magic-like
  • Shang is quite clever in battle and know how to use the environment in his favor, when he notices Liu Kang has better acrobatics he would stay in the center of the arena, don't allowing Liu Kang to use his craziest maneuvers
  • This would also apply to the rings, when he noticed that Liu Kang has better LS and could use the ring as a platform he most likely would retreat it to have strong punches and be able to send Liu Kang flying
    • Although i will say he doesn't do that in the movie, he could theoretically use the retreated rings and the staff at the same time, with the long wood helping him to keep some distance from Liu Kang
  • He also did disarm an opponent two times in the movie (Three if you count the rings), so i can also see him taking Liu Kang nunchaku to maintain the higher range in the close combat
For the first two points, Liu could get around the armor with his fireballs, dragons, and soul spheres seeing how SC doesn't have flame or heat resistance. He could suspend his fireballs and soul spheres in the air during any time in their flight to turn them into traps instead of hurling them towards SC for him to deflect (I'm just going to say that SC can deflect his projectiles). When they're suspended, Liu can detonate them to cause a fiery explosion, and they are dangerous even when not detonated since they damage anyone standing too close to them.

I'm not sure what your third point is trying to say. Is this for the thing I said about Liu having the advantage when they're at the farthest sides of the arena?

I'd say Liu can deal with the ring enhanced strikes he has using his Wing Chun mastery that allows him to deflect strikes (which he does in fight scenes) or just dodging them by moving around the attack (simultaneously dodging the attack and repositioning himself to an advantageous spot) or teleporting. Plus Liu can easily recover from being sent flying with his acrobatics.

Taking away Liu's nunchaku is not too big of a problem, although Liu may be deprived of a weapon if he's successfully disarmed and has no convenient way of getting it back without risking himself, he still has his powers.

Back