• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

9-A World's Greatest Fighters Tournament: Zangief vs Brad Armstrong (Round 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean like, I just don't think he has the pain resistance to keep on grappling while he's being torched, let alone that I'm pretty sure the blasts have strength behind them and might just push him away.
While not 100% assured, Zangief could still lock his arms and prevent him from targeting properly.

At that point, we should figure out how hot the fireballs he usually facetanks are, and compare them to Brad's.
Ryu and Ken use normal fire, although the former has shown to be able to incinerate a cyborg in seconds even with his standard blue hadokens, although in that case he was specifically going for the kill so idk if it's standard heat always.

Ken still goes for fire attacks and projectiles almost all the time, and the fire and electric hadokens are standard toolset for him.
Ryu's standard Hadokens can also be projected as streams of energy, although that was shown only once.

He also fights regularly with Laura, who uses electricity for almost all her techniques.
Zangief is also suggested to having had a rivalry with Blanka during Alpha, who also uses unspecified degrees of electricity, but of course enough to damage people.

I mean, "facetanking" them requires a special technique, normally they make him flinch and that's within the limits of gameplay still.
That's sure, but he's got other options rather than just taking them head-first (although that's pretty in character).
He is still agile enough to jump very high and far, or can just dodge by moving, since he's not limited to a 2D plane.
Of course grappling isn't the end, but Zangief's vast array of techniques, LS, AP and skill/experience/whatever make them his best tool.
Given how he's had to work his way through projectiles users for all his career, I don't think a fire beam would set the game necessarily.

(Like Gief's main advantages here is the fact he abuses Class M LS and outstats the whole tourney besides Spidey).
Also, I don't really have an issue with the fact that some characters outstat others. It's mainly the issue that Brad actually has a solid chance of winning this, but it's due to his weaponry, not because of his H2H combat skill.

Also, I don't really have an issue with the fact that some characters outstat others. It's mainly the issue that Brad actually has a solid chance of winning this, but it's due to his weaponry, not because of his H2H combat skill.
Think you can restrict the Molotov Cocktails, since Brad doesn't need them to finish the game, TNT is required tho (Although Brad probably won't have much left)
Don't think the consumables/healing would count as weapons

While not 100% assured, Zangief could still lock his arms and prevent him from targeting properly.
Brad's got a lot of headbutts, plus the main threat of locks is unbearable pain and possibly joint damage, Brad can potentially fight against that to put himself in a position where he can throw a strike at Zangief, then heal the damage if there's any.
Ryu and Ken use normal fire, although the former has shown to be able to incinerate a cyborg in seconds even with his standard blue hadokens, although in that case he was specifically going for the kill so idk if it's standard heat always.

Ken still goes for fire attacks and projectiles almost all the time, and the fire and electric hadokens are standard toolset for him.
Ryu's standard Hadokens can also be projected as streams of energy, although that was shown only once.

He also fights regularly with Laura, who uses electricity for almost all her techniques.
Zangief is also suggested to having had a rivalry with Blanka during Alpha, who also uses unspecified degrees of electricity, but of course enough to damage people.
I'm not denying he doesn't have the pain tolerance to not fold the second he's hit by fire, but I don't think any of this shows that he can just hold on while being flambee'd, and even if he can I'm not sure he wouldn't be taking heavy damage.
That's sure, but he's got other options rather than just taking them head-first (although that's pretty in character).
He is still agile enough to jump very high and far, or can just dodge by moving, since he's not limited to a 2D plane.
Of course grappling isn't the end, but Zangief's vast array of techniques, LS, AP and skill/experience/whatever make them his best tool.
Given how he's had to work his way through projectiles users for all his career, I don't think a fire beam would set the game necessarily.
I think this is true but Brad isn't necessarily completely outmatched in H2H, dude can win a 1v20 against trained and armed fighters with both his arms chopped off, I think there's a decent chance he manages to ward Zangief off in close quarters too, at least for a while. He doesn't need to avoid every grab, he just needs to be the last one standing.

Another factor is that Brad definitely has a bunch of glass bottles lying around and using them as weapons is something you can straight-up do in Lisa, Zangief can break blades with his muscles but Brad can still stab at less protected areas like the throat or the groin.

Last edited:
For the record I think it's like, 55/45 for Zangief/Brad, so normally I'd vote incon but since this is a tournament I'll just abstain.

I don't remember them saying "Gief FRA".

Though I'll add their votes if they clarify that they voted for them.

Though I'll add their votes if they clarify that they voted for them.
Eh, I think Zangief edges out.

As highlighted above Zangief has a sizable AP advantage. Being able to shrug off attacks from Balrog, who in turn, was able to overpower two other 9-A characters. His scaling chain, particularly in raw durability, is pretty sizeable. Without even counting the moves that directly increase his attack potency and durability. Stamina or not, Brad being slammed head-first into the ground by a guy several times stronger than him WILL eventually kill him, even if it takes an extended period.

In addition, even if he cannot forcefully lock Brad in place for an extended period due to the latter's flame projection, he can still easily ragdoll him whenever he's in melee with quick throws or punches, and potentially outright hamper his movements via inflicting "crumpling" or "stun" on them, which leaves them open to taking heavy damage from singular throws or blows.

It's pretty much Gief's decent stat edge vs Brad's stamina, in which case I think Gief should eventually win out.

I'm currently away and I don't have the time or the will to engage in a discussion.
Personally I'd vote Zangief, but I'd like to add something to the general argument before, to not let things incomplete or untransparent.

Tomorrow I'll be home, so I'll be able to elaborate.
If you want to speed things up, count me for Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back