• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

9-A World's Greatest Fighters Tournament: Ryutarou Sakagami vs Juri Han (Round 1)

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
After a bit of a hiatus after the halfway point, the 9-A World's Greatest Fighters Tournament has continued!

In one corner, he may be dense, but boy does he pack a punch! It's Ryutarou Sakagami!

And his opponent, she's a cunning and sadistic! She is the true epitome of a femme fatale! Juri Han!

Rules are stated here.

Femme Fatale: 8 (Sheev, Saman, Kisaragi, james, Volley, Expectro, Random, Armor)

Dense, But Loyal:

Nuh-uh:

SfgbgP0.png

Last edited:
So, looking at this, Ryutarou is at an advantage in lifting strength, though I don't know how often he resorts to grappling.

In terms of what I'm seeing from skill, the man is at least praised by someone who's mastered several forms of martial arts. I will say that it is worth noting that praise doesn't always indicate superiority, but he is noticeably good by the standards of someone who's mastered several forms of martial arts with ease (though when I read what's cited for that, it does kind of imply a lack of footwork from him and that him and the golem are just slugging each other, to which the point can be made that overwhelming physical strength could also make someone good for hand-to-hand combat just because they're going to hit their opponent very very hard. But that's just my take on it from that little excerpt, could be missing context).

Juri is capable of contending and even defeating several different martial artists in the world with very unconventional styles of fighting, in a world where you greet someone by fighting them, and their skills have been honed for years. Additionally, Ryutarou's tendencies to fight head-on and sometimes neglect dodging could leave him prone to a Focus Attack or even just the "Stun" status effect coming into play, making him even more vulnerable to take damage. Fortunately, he does have great stamina and pain tolerance, so being hit by attacks that are a little bit stronger than him shouldn't hamper him too much.

Also, if Juri's Feng Shui Engine Alpha isn't prohibited here, her power and speed would increase, causing her to be more likely to land successful hits and inflict Stun, or to land Focus Attack on him.

Saman also pointed out that the SF6 stuff isn't on her page yet, so I'm not going to cover that.

Also, I've never heard of Juri's opponent until today, so forgive me if I'm ignorant of anything regarding him. Naturally, I'll lean towards my pick for this tournament until I see counterarguments.

The OP don't state which key is used, but I will assume is the second one with no 8-B thing.
So, looking at this, Ryutarou is at an advantage in lifting strength, though I don't know how often he resorts to grappling.
Punching and grappling are two of the things he do the most, so he should indeed use his LS.
In terms of what I'm seeing from skill, the man is at least praised by someone who's mastered several forms of martial arts. I will say that it is worth noting that praise doesn't always indicate superiority, but he is noticeably good by the standards of someone who's mastered several forms of martial arts with ease (though when I read what's cited for that, it does kind of imply a lack of footwork from him and that him and the golem are just slugging each other, to which the point can be made that overwhelming physical strength could also make someone good for hand-to-hand combat just because they're going to hit their opponent very very hard. But that's just my take on it from that little excerpt, could be missing context).

Juri is capable of contending and even defeating several different martial artists in the world with very unconventional styles of fighting, in a world where you greet someone by fighting them, and their skills have been honed for years. Additionally, Ryutarou's tendencies to fight head-on and sometimes neglect dodging could leave him prone to a Focus Attack or even just the "Stun" status effect coming into play, making him even more vulnerable to take damage. Fortunately, he does have great stamina and pain tolerance, so being hit by attacks that are a little bit stronger than him shouldn't hamper him too much.
About the skill part, I'm not even going to bother in trying to argue that he have some skill advantage, I don't really know much about other participants but I think Ryutarou is just above Rumble in skill. Ryutarou is a very simple, like yes he is great in various fighting styles and is a karate champion (so just decent skill), but he don't have any crazy feats or impressive showing (the golem fight is from two keys later) and instead his style is more a direct one of a typical fighter (this were some of the main reasons of why I choose him), at most the craziest skill thing of him would be likely scaling above low tiers able to learn and master martial arts from youtube or shit like that.

He still have his relatively high stamina and pain tolerance though, he is the type of character that need to be completely beaten to take down because otherwise they just continue, he is like the typical anime character that get in a fist fight with other person beside a river and end simultaneously falling down with the other side after both of them develop a mutual respect and friendship (that's what happened in the golem example, despite how the golem didn't even had sentience, which make the thing more absurd). Of added his physical resistance, plus the damage reduction, he should be fairly difficult to take down in a short time.
Also, if Juri's Feng Shui Engine Alpha isn't prohibited here, her power and speed would increase, causing her to be more likely to land successful hits and inflict Stun, or to land Focus Attack on him.
The Stun thing honestly sound mostly as game mechanics, although if is supposed to be taken as she causing momentary concussion then I suppose is fair.

Want to point out that the actually dangerous thing about Ryutarou is mostly the shockwaves his attacks generate which damage the insides of the opponent.

It is allowed, since in this key she bears the Alpha, a prototype that doesn't make her 8-B, but just boosts all her stats considerably (although without any multiplier) but for a much more limited time. Still, a temporary boost in AP, Dura and Speed remains a handy advantage.

About Ryutarou, of whom I know absolutely nothing, how much of the notions listed in his intelligence section apply to this key? And how does physical combat work in his verse? To be more clear, and before giving some info on Juri's prowess, she and the people of her verse fight in the classic, almost-anime like superhuman ways, with crazy jumps and acrobatics, inhuman attacks and combos, super fast pace and such. If Ryutarou is used to a more realistic or real world-life type of combat, then he could find himself unprepared and unused to face an opponent who moves, attacks and does things he wouldn't even imagine.

About Juri, I don't have much more to add to what her intelligence section already says about her. She uses this superhuman form of Taekwondo and remained a top-notch fighter even after losing the tool that made her super strong, and most of her techniques don't even require the origina engine to be performed.
SF6 doesn't add too much and just solidifies that she can fight evenly with all those people listed in her intelligence section, even without having or using her stat booster.

About her advantages, her already superior AP is bolstered by some of her attacks being powered by ki, then she can boost some special moves, but most of all is the aforementioned engine. All of these things coulds supposedly level the ground against Ryutaro's damage reduction.
How does Ryutaro's vibrations work? Do they travel in form of waves or smth? The only scan provided on his file doesn't really say much. Juri has decent experience against projectile users, but the waves might be kinda difficult to notice or deal with if they are transparent or difficult to see, although Juri might just realize that he isn't flailing his arms from a distance for nothing, and that's a common way to shoot projectiles in her verse.
Juri does have her own projectiles to counter and reply, but in this key her main one needs first to be charged (Fuharenkyaku), while the second one (Fuha Enzan) can be spammed but it doesn't go that far. The last one, the Sakkai Fuhazan, is quite strong and goes far, but can't be spammed due to the energy it requires.

A good tool in Juri's arsenal is her absorption (Feng Shui Engine Beta in her NA&T), it's basically a swirling aura around her that passively, but temporarily, saps the energy of the opponent and restores Juri's ki (not health) and by extension the battery of the Feng Shui Engine, potentially allowing her to re-use it after it runs out of charge. That would also wear Ryutaro down and lessen the effectiveness of his stamina.
It is also particularly useful if Juri manages to pressure him enough in CQC and keep draining him aisde from dealing normal damage.

Ryutaro's muscle-headedness mentioned in his weakness section could also be his downfall. Juri doesn't give a damn about having a fair fight, and while she enjoys to manhandle her opponents, she becomes quite serious if they piss her off (such as when Guile landed a combo on her). Juri might also capitalize on Ryutaro's refusal to dodge or strategize thanks to her (apparently) superior agility and (possibly) alien fighting style.

Actually, what version of Juri are we using here anyway?
I gave it for granted this was the second key, but @ZoroNotZolo should clarify that.
Shortly, Juri's first key slightly upscales from the 418 value and can use projectiles even when the engine is turned off, but can't use it for obvious reasons. Her second key is fully 418, has more experience and can use the engine (although it doesn't make her 8-B) and absorption.

About Ryutarou, of whom I know absolutely nothing, how much of the notions listed in his intelligence section apply to this key? And how does physical combat work in his verse? To be more clear, and before giving some info on Juri's prowess, she and the people of her verse fight in the classic, almost-anime like superhuman ways, with crazy jumps and acrobatics, inhuman attacks and combos, super fast pace and such. If Ryutarou is used to a more realistic or real world-life type of combat, then he could find himself unprepared and unused to face an opponent who moves, attacks and does things he wouldn't even imagine.
The part about mastering various fighting styles apply, same with being a martial artist champion (although looking at the profile seems that I missed add that), be trained by the elite knights of one of the greatest nations in otherworld (mentioned because the leader of those knights was Meld and he was the students main instructor), and that he is a genius like his classmates in the field of his job (so basically he is supposed to be a genius martial artist). The part were Shea praised his ability happen months later in his third key, so it likely don't apply completely to his vol 1 selve as he grew mentally and physically through the next vols. In Arifureta characters also fight with that anime like styles and with high acrobatics, however this Ryutarou likely isn't as familiar with those more crazy acrobatic styles as those things become the common thing later in the story, however he should still have some experience against acrobatic and agile fighters because he was partially trained in the Yaegashi dojo and have fought several times with Shizuku (ignore the hax parts and just look at the listed Yaegashi techniques), so ultimately while it would probably surprise him a bit he would likely end thinking that Juri is just a practicioner of an acrobatic style like the Yaegashi (that or that she possess a job like Acrobat or similar like some of his classmates).
About Juri, I don't have much more to add to what her intelligence section already says about her. She uses this superhuman form of Taekwondo and remained a top-notch fighter even after losing the tool that made her super strong, and most of her techniques don't even require the origina engine to be performed.
SF6 doesn't add too much and just solidifies that she can fight evenly with all those people listed in her intelligence section, even without having or using her stat booster.
Feat wise this is just the Ryutarou at the vol 1, and at that point he wasn't really important, so besides his LS feat the rest of things for him come from scaling, a scaling that make him able to jump several meters in the air, easily run at top speed on irregular terrain for more than a hour, instinctive action (which you can ignore because is still not listed in the first key) and sharp battle senses (the sort that let fight with other senses impaired, feel hostility, feel danger, those things), so nothing really impressive. He can regularly fight with the rest of his classmates who each of them are genius, the most notable ones are Jugo (no profile) who is an judoka, Kouki (the mastering the Yaegashi style part and following parts don't apply to vol 1), Shizuku, and more physical fighters though they are mostly weapon users so no point in bringing them there.
About her advantages, her already superior AP is bolstered by some of her attacks being powered by ki, then she can boost some special moves, but most of all is the aforementioned engine. All of these things coulds supposedly level the ground against Ryutaro's damage reduction.
How does Ryutaro's vibrations work? Do they travel in form of waves or smth? The only scan provided on his file doesn't really say much. Juri has decent experience against projectile users, but the waves might be kinda difficult to notice or deal with if they are transparent or difficult to see, although Juri might just realize that he isn't flailing his arms from a distance for nothing, and that's a common way to shoot projectiles in her verse.
Juri does have her own projectiles to counter and reply, but in this key her main one needs first to be charged (Fuharenkyaku), while the second one (Fuha Enzan) can be spammed but it doesn't go that far. The last one, the Sakkai Fuhazan, is quite strong and goes far, but can't be spammed due to the energy it requires.
The AP difference isn't much to begin with but fair enough with the fact that she can nonetheless increase it an unknow amount. Yeah, they arr basically like shockwaves, so I suppose she can't see them without some senses that let her see/feel those sort of things. Should be noted that while he can certainly use them from a distance, he prefer if possible to use them in a cqc fight, in a direct confrontation, the muscle-headed part in the profile is about him liking more punching that abusing smart strategies to win in a uncool way, so he will use the shockwaves but he isn't going to range spam them to simply win (unless there is no other option).
A good tool in Juri's arsenal is her absorption (Feng Shui Engine Beta in her NA&T), it's basically a swirling aura around her that passively, but temporarily, saps the energy of the opponent and restores Juri's ki (not health) and by extension the battery of the Feng Shui Engine, potentially allowing her to re-use it after it runs out of charge. That would also wear Ryutaro down and lessen the effectiveness of his stamina.
It is also particularly useful if Juri manages to pressure him enough in CQC and keep draining him aisde from dealing normal damage.
Technically he actually resist absortion, it just that currently the profile only list it as resistance to magic because I wanted to list all the things that the magic defense stat give resistance in a physiology page but I still haven't created it due to be focused on other verses (more specifically Iruma which I now only need calcs to get approved). If the absorption still want to be argued (which I see as fair because the profile don't clarify his resistances), then it would certainly reduce how much he can last, although should be said that the students have higher energy reserves than other people so it would still take some time to drain him completely.
Juri might also capitalize on Ryutaro's refusal to dodge or strategize thanks to her (apparently) superior agility and (possibly) alien fighting style.
Ok, want to correct a misunderstanding that seem to be with Ryutarou. Ryutarou isn't someone who refuse to dodge attacks, on the contrary due to all his training he knows how important is to dodge, which is why if is possible he tries to dodge attacks (specially if they are dangerous). The thing with the golem fight was that he was fighting alone against a strong opponent, inside of a very dense mist (iirc the mist also blocked their special senses), in a situation where his ranged attacks were refirected to his allies in other parts, while getting showered from all directions with lasers (real light speed lasers) that were fired at random patterns, in that hard situation were he was forced to defeat an strong enemy in cqc while defending against the lasers he deemed impossible to dodge all the lasers and defeat the golem at the same time, so he just gave up with dodging and instead opted to tank the lasers (instinctively protecting against the ones that could had killed him) while rushing to defeat the golem before he himself fell down, something that caused him to be the one most injuried in the group since the others had the acrobatics to easily pass the same situation or the abilities to deal with something like that without much injury. So in a normal situation where he isn't facing such extreme conditions he will dodge normally.

I gave it for granted this was the second key, but @ZoroNotZolo should clarify that.
Shortly, Juri's first key slightly upscales from the 418 value and can use projectiles even when the engine is turned off, but can't use it for obvious reasons. Her second key is fully 418, has more experience and can use the engine (although it doesn't make her 8-B) and absorption.
The SFV key for her should be fine.

The part about mastering various fighting styles apply, same with being a martial artist champion (although looking at the profile seems that I missed add that), be trained by the elite knights of one of the greatest nations in otherworld (mentioned because the leader of those knights was Meld and he was the students main instructor), and that he is a genius like his classmates in the field of his job (so basically he is supposed to be a genius martial artist). The part were Shea praised his ability happen months later in his third key, so it likely don't apply completely to his vol 1 selve as he grew mentally and physically through the next vols. In Arifureta characters also fight with that anime like styles and with high acrobatics, however this Ryutarou likely isn't as familiar with those more crazy acrobatic styles as those things become the common thing later in the story, however he should still have some experience against acrobatic and agile fighters because he was partially trained in the Yaegashi dojo and have fought several times with Shizuku (ignore the hax parts and just look at the listed Yaegashi techniques), so ultimately while it would probably surprise him a bit he would likely end thinking that Juri is just a practicioner of an acrobatic style like the Yaegashi (that or that she possess a job like Acrobat or similar like some of his classmates).
From what I understand, in this key Ryutaro also seems to be somewhat green, right? Like, he has achieved good accomplishments in training and competitions, but he has yet to be shaped into a proper fighter, right? Granted, way beyond normal standards, but I'm trying to draw a comparison without necessarily relying on mere more-or-less-skilled opponents.

About Juri I can add that she was already the top Tae Kwon Do pratictioner at age 15, and in her current key she is at least 26-27, over 30 if we want to account SF6. In this period she basically refined her style and kept fighting. her feats put her on the same level with people who are already seasoned masters or pratictioners of superhuman versions of multiple or custom fighting styles.

I must add, depending on the degree of results Ryutaro's has achieved against acrobatic fighters, he might not only be outpaced in terms of defense (i.e. knowing how to deal with hyper agility), but also offense (simply landing blows).
We should also look into Ryutaro's own mobility, because Juri is one of those characters that have sort of "canon juggling", as several of her techniques have her lauching the character in the air and dealing a series of strikes (Enkushu, Karen Geri, Shikusen, Kaisen Dankairaku and Kaisenrenkyaku) or just a flurry of attacks delivered through acrobatics (Senpusha, Tenserin) which, while not game changing, would be free hits against an opponent who lacks the agility to not be defenseless in mid-air.

The AP difference isn't much to begin with but fair enough with the fact that she can nonetheless increase it an unknow amount. Yeah, they arr basically like shockwaves, so I suppose she can't see them without some senses that let her see/feel those sort of things. Should be noted that while he can certainly use them from a distance, he prefer if possible to use them in a cqc fight, in a direct confrontation, the muscle-headed part in the profile is about him liking more punching that abusing smart strategies to win in a uncool way, so he will use the shockwaves but he isn't going to range spam them to simply win (unless there is no other option).
I forgot that Juri does indeed have Enhanced Senses, which she coincidentaly used to dodge a surprise attack. Those and her experience against projectile users should indeed help dealing with the shockwaves, although ofc they don't make her immune.

Juri herself in this key can't spam projectiles, as her Fuhajin/Fuharenkyaku is meant to trip the opponent, mix them up, create opening and such (i.e. more attack and support rather than Vegeta's Technique), while her Fuha Enzan also works for that and as a sort of shield.
Granted, when the Feng Shui Engine is active she goes in a sort of "ovedrive", meaning that she ha continuous access to the ki attacks that she'd need to charge first, so aside from the stat boost she also becomes able to utilize ki-powered physical attacks and projectiles in succession.

Technically he actually resist absortion, it just that currently the profile only list it as resistance to magic because I wanted to list all the things that the magic defense stat give resistance in a physiology page but I still haven't created it due to be focused on other verses (more specifically Iruma which I now only need calcs to get approved). If the absorption still want to be argued (which I see as fair because the profile don't clarify his resistances), then it would certainly reduce how much he can last, although should be said that the students have higher energy reserves than other people so it would still take some time to drain him completely.
Here we might end up in a clash of power systems.
To be more clear, does Ryutarou resist magic-based absorption? Because his resistance, if solely meant to protect him from magic, might not work against Juri's, which is a combination of technology and ki (with it in SF being the classic combination of life force, will, stamina and fighting spirit).

That should indeed be corrected in his profile, as of now it seems like he charges headfirst regardless of the danger.

From what I understand, in this key Ryutaro also seems to be somewhat green, right? Like, he has achieved good accomplishments in training and competitions, but he has yet to be shaped into a proper fighter, right? Granted, way beyond normal standards, but I'm trying to draw a comparison without necessarily relying on mere more-or-less-skilled opponents.

About Juri I can add that she was already the top Tae Kwon Do pratictioner at age 15, and in her current key she is at least 26-27, over 30 if we want to account SF6. In this period she basically refined her style and kept fighting. her feats put her on the same level with people who are already seasoned masters or pratictioners of superhuman versions of multiple or custom fighting styles.

I must add, depending on the degree of results Ryutaro's has achieved against acrobatic fighters, he might not only be outpaced in terms of defense (i.e. knowing how to deal with hyper agility), but also offense (simply landing blows).
We should also look into Ryutaro's own mobility, because Juri is one of those characters that have sort of "canon juggling", as several of her techniques have her lauching the character in the air and dealing a series of strikes (Enkushu, Karen Geri, Shikusen, Kaisen Dankairaku and Kaisenrenkyaku) or just a flurry of attacks delivered through acrobatics (Senpusha, Tenserin) which, while not game changing, would be free hits against an opponent who lacks the agility to not be defenseless in mid-air.
I guess it could be said like that, at this point as I said he have already trained against elite knights (able to use magic and with superhuman physical capa capabilities) and his genius classmates, as well as fight against monsters up to level 65 floor of Oscar labyrinth, but is also true that at this point still haven't fought against true labyrinth level monsters or the crazy strong people of the world, he also haven't experienced the closeness to death that much, so while not really inexperienced he isn't as seasoned as his later keys (even if they are just months later).

Juri is undoubtly more experienced and skilled than this key of him, that was something I never tried to refute, I just explained his skill and situation in this key so people had a better understanding of him.

I mean, the shockwaves of his punches still grant them some aoe so at close distance it would be hard that Juri don't get hurt while if she just play from distance and never get close he would get mad and do ranged attacks (remember, is not that he don't attack from distance, is just that he prefer the good old punching in the face of each other).

And about the aerial mobility in this key he don't have much, I suppose he at least can use his shockwaves to a little bit of mobility (like, pushing to one direction), in his third key and forward is when he have great aerial mobility due to gain platform creation (so he trained more for aerial battles), although despite that he should still be able to defend himself by sending shockwaves or just using a focused physical strengthening in the part that is going to be hit, the first is far better defense method but the second still help to reduce the impact of the things he can't prevent.
Juri herself in this key can't spam projectiles, as her Fuhajin/Fuharenkyaku is meant to trip the opponent, mix them up, create opening and such (i.e. more attack and support rather than Vegeta's Technique), while her Fuha Enzan also works for that and as a sort of shield.
Granted, when the Feng Shui Engine is active she goes in a sort of "ovedrive", meaning that she ha continuous access to the ki attacks that she'd need to charge first, so aside from the stat boost she also becomes able to utilize ki-powered physical attacks and projectiles in succession.
A physical confrontation from close distance could help a lot Ryutarou to injure better her inside with the shockwaves of his punches, as well as give him the chance to take advantage of his LS, he could probably even decide to tank some attacks if they will let him get a hold of her. If she goes full range spam then he would get mad and do the same.
Here we might end up in a clash of power systems.
To be more clear, does Ryutarou resist magic-based absorption? Because his resistance, if solely meant to protect him from magic, might not work against Juri's, which is a combination of technology and ki (with it in SF being the classic combination of life force, will, stamina and fighting spirit).
In Arifureta also exist other unique energies and powers and it have worked against them. Furthermore his actually original unique energy, Willpower, grant him an adaptation to other energy systems that would let his shit work normally (to begin with the only reason of why the students possess magic and super abilitied is because when facing magic their bodies automatically adapted to that power system).
That should indeed be corrected in his profile, as of now it seems like he charges headfirst regardless of the danger.
I guess it could be clarified that it means that in certain conditions he would opt for risky strategies that get him injuried.

I guess it could be said like that, at this point as I said he have already trained against elite knights (able to use magic and with superhuman physical capa capabilities) and his genius classmates, as well as fight against monsters up to level 65 floor of Oscar labyrinth, but is also true that at this point still haven't fought against true labyrinth level monsters or the crazy strong people of the world, he also haven't experienced the closeness to death that much, so while not really inexperienced he isn't as seasoned as his later keys (even if they are just months later).
Juri is undoubtly more experienced and skilled than this key of him, that was something I never tried to refute, I just explained his skill and situation in this key so people had a better understanding of him.
Yep, he surely isn't no slouch.

I mean, the shockwaves of his punches still grant them some aoe so at close distance it would be hard that Juri don't get hurt while if she just play from distance and never get close he would get mad and do ranged attacks (remember, is not that he don't attack from distance, is just that he prefer the good old punching in the face of each other).
She doesn't stick only to ranged game in general, especially in the key, in which her projectiles are as efficient.
How much aoe do they have? Do they let him strike the opponent even if his punches whiff? And do they get released with every single strike? Regardless of how fond of cqc and ****** Juri is, she does use her footwork and acrobatics to block, dodge and attack, even when holding back. In this key she is likely more careful, as she doesn't have access to her old efficient info analysis and overpowered power ups.

And about the aerial mobility in this key he don't have much, I suppose he at least can use his shockwaves to a little bit of mobility (like, pushing to one direction), in his third key and forward is when he have great aerial mobility due to gain platform creation (so he trained more for aerial battles), although despite that he should still be able to defend himself by sending shockwaves or just using a focused physical strengthening in the part that is going to be hit, the first is far better defense method but the second still help to reduce the impact of the things he can't prevent.
Should it be determined that, overall, he'd remain exposed if juggled in the air, but still has the capabilities to escape depending on the situation=

A physical confrontation from close distance could help a lot Ryutarou to injure better her inside with the shockwaves of his punches, as well as give him the chance to take advantage of his LS, he could probably even decide to tank some attacks if they will let him get a hold of her. If she goes full range spam then he would get mad and do the same.
Do you know what type of hold does he employ and how? Because Juri technically does have experience against opponents with higher LS than her (at least 2), and depending on hold, she might even be able to break free through striking thanks to her flexibility and fighting prowess.

In Arifureta also exist other unique energies and powers and it have worked against them. Furthermore his actually original unique energy, Willpower, grant him an adaptation to other energy systems that would let his shit work normally (to begin with the only reason of why the students possess magic and super abilitied is because when facing magic their bodies automatically adapted to that power system).
How much does it take for him to adapt?
For the sake of it, I'd like to add that Juri's absorption is likely a "late game" option. While she technically can activate it anytime, lore suggests it is mostly meant to recharge the engine's battery quicker, meaning that she'd likely resort to it after using her stat boosted mode once.

She doesn't stick only to ranged game in general, especially in the key, in which her projectiles are as efficient.
How much aoe do they have? Do they let him strike the opponent even if his punches whiff? And do they get released with every single strike? Regardless of how fond of cqc and ***** Juri is, she does use her footwork and acrobatics to block, dodge and attack, even when holding back. In this key she is likely more careful, as she doesn't have access to her old efficient info analysis and overpowered power ups.
At this point I think it wasn't specified, based on others shockwave users in the series I think it would be around the one meter at least in aoe, so they would be in the range that make harder to dodge at close distance but not impossible to. In general yes, he can control if release them and would probably do so if low in mana, but otherwise I don't a motive to why he wouldn't constantly use them.

The first thing more than a block seem like they just clashed attacks, especially since Juri was the one who jumped and actually attacked first while Chun Li blocked with another attack. In the second she actually seemed to receive the impact of the punch of the dude (or just part of it?), still a cool move though, but if she tried the same against Ryutarou the shockwaves wouldn't let her go so unscathed. The attacks with acrobatics are completely fair though.
Should it be determined that, overall, he'd remain exposed if juggled in the air, but still has the capabilities to escape depending on the situation=
More or less, yes.
Do you know what type of hold does he employ and how? Because Juri technically does have experience against opponents with higher LS than her (at least 2), and depending on hold, she might even be able to break free through striking thanks to her flexibility and fighting prowess.
He is mainly a karateka so at the very least he should do things like this and this, but since he also do judo tecniques like this should also be something that he could do, and likely more locks/holds from the knights training but I don't know how they could be or what to use as reference for them.
How much does it take for him to adapt?
For the sake of it, I'd like to add that Juri's absorption is likely a "late game" option. While she technically can activate it anytime, lore suggests it is mostly meant to recharge the engine's battery quicker, meaning that she'd likely resort to it after using her stat boosted mode once.
The instant the students got in contact with mana their bodies (more specifically the Willpower inside them) instantly adapted to it and they become superhumans with powers and magic. Should be clarified that while in the current after stories point their bodies got too accustomed to mana so they can't just instantly do the same thing with other energies like at the beginning of the story, but since this is a Ryutarou from the beginning of the story he should still be able to adapt to other enegy systems at a fast peace.

That said though, as I mentioned, even without the adaptation thing of the students the hax resistance from the magic defense stat is something that work against other enegy systems even in the case of other residents of Tortus (the world where magic is the power system) that lack the Willpower unique energy of Earthlings, so he should still be able to resist the absorption even if he didn't had his adaptation.

At this point I think it wasn't specified, based on others shockwave users in the series I think it would be around the one meter at least in aoe, so they would be in the range that make harder to dodge at close distance but not impossible to. In general yes, he can control if release them and would probably do so if low in mana, but otherwise I don't a motive to why he wouldn't constantly use them.
Copy-that.
How damaging are they in general? How do the people hit react? Is it like an instant smash, or it took some time to wear opponents despite the shockwaves hitting their insides?

If given the time to process and retaliate after being hit, Juri would definitely try to work around it. Having lost her main weapon and having been stomped twice after it made her more careful indeed, so I believe she'd use her advantages to make it end as quickly as she can, or at least avoid being stricken at all cost.
Worthy to be noted, she's already had to fight an opponent against whom she couldn't afford to be hit, this being FANG. Even though their battle seemingly ended in a draw, Juri still had to fend him off and every nail and poison attack would have probably killed her, as only two characters could survive the poison, and the one on Juri's level had friendship-power shenanigans and was still ko'd first by it.

He is mainly a karateka so at the very least he should do things like this and this, but since he also do judo tecniques like this should also be something that he could do, and likely more locks/holds from the knights training but I don't know how they could be or what to use as reference for them.
Juri might recognize he uses karate, so she might expect some locks and grapples and try to work around them. I honestly don't know how ki sensing translates in differentiating AP and LS, as the series never went to deep into it, but Juri would roughly know Ryoutaro's power level and that might suggest her his superior LS.
Many karate locks can also be worked around by superhuman flexibility, as their founding principle is exactly to exploit the human body's limitations, to which Juri doesn't fully abide (with all those Spider-Man-like movements and attacks), so I could see her pull off some counter, things to which the series isn't even extraneous.

The instant the students got in contact with mana their bodies (more specifically the Willpower inside them) instantly adapted to it and they become superhumans with powers and magic. Should be clarified that while in the current after stories point their bodies got too accustomed to mana so they can't just instantly do the same thing with other energies like at the beginning of the story, but since this is a Ryutarou from the beginning of the story he should still be able to adapt to other enegy systems at a fast peace.
That said though, as I mentioned, even without the adaptation thing of the students the hax resistance from the magic defense stat is something that work against other enegy systems even in the case of other residents of Tortus (the world where magic is the power system) that lack the Willpower unique energy of Earthlings, so he should still be able to resist the absorption even if he didn't had his adaptation.
Then I agree it wouldn't work.

Copy-that.
How damaging are they in general? How do the people hit react? Is it like an instant smash, or it took some time to wear opponents despite the shockwaves hitting their insides?
Well, in general when not prepared people attacked by shockwaves attacks tend to get considerably hurt, however normally isn't a move that can end comparables opponents in a moment, the reason of this is probably because people can use magic to strengthen the insides of their bodies (it's actually in fact easier to do so than strengthen the outside, and most if not all outside strengthening also strengthen the insides), plus beings with mana in general unconsciously use their mana in their daily lifes to strengthen their bodies (hence why even without any strengthening people have high stats by default), there is also the fact that almost all the strong people in verse can continue to fight while absurdly injuried (the listed stamina feats of Ryutarou in later keys are a good example of that), and in the case of monsters their bodies are naturally infused with magic (to the point that eat their flesh cause mutations from the magic of their bodies). So in short everyone have a way to strengthen their insides and top fighters just ignore that level of damage, so if Juri have either of those things she probably can last some time.
Juri might recognize he uses karate, so she might expect some locks and grapples and try to work around them. I honestly don't know how ki sensing translates in differentiating AP and LS, as the series never went to deep into it, but Juri would roughly know Ryoutaro's power level and that might suggest her his superior LS.
Many karate locks can also be worked around by superhuman flexibility, as their founding principle is exactly to exploit the human body's limitations, to which Juri doesn't fully abide (with all those Spider-Man-like movements and attacks), so I could see her pull off some counter, things to which the series isn't even extraneous.
Don't know if that would be enough to know that he have a considerably higher LS from his energy alone, after all if that was the case then she should had know the LS of all the opponents she have faced so far.

From some of the locks I shared I can honestly see her being able to free with her flexibility and others beings able to counter attack until he release her from the damage (which should I say would probably take some time considering his tank disposition), but from some of the other locks I don't really see her getting free, so it would really depend on the lock that Ryutarou use initially, since after escape from the first lock he would likely decide to use one that wouldn't be so easy to get free.

So in short everyone have a way to strengthen their insides and top fighters just ignore that level of damage, so if Juri have either of those things she probably can last some time.
Not really, aside from chi powering your entire body, but the durability ratio should remain the same as a real body, just upscaled to tier.
Since it's a shockwave of slighty less strength that Juri's overall dura, we might say it would deal considerable damage but not fatal, unless it lands clean on the heart or brain? I ain't sure.

Don't know if that would be enough to know that he have a considerably higher LS from his energy alone, after all if that was the case then she should had know the LS of all the opponents she have faced so far.
It might be the case, because in SF even within the 9-As some have Class M LS, while most of the others have Class 5, even when their AP is similar.
But characters have always talked about ki as reference to overall strength.

From some of the locks I shared I can honestly see her being able to free with her flexibility and others beings able to counter attack until he release her from the damage (which should I say would probably take some time considering his tank disposition), but from some of the other locks I don't really see her getting free, so it would really depend on the lock that Ryutarou use initially, since after escape from the first lock he would likely decide to use one that wouldn't be so easy to get free.
It's sort of situational, then.
Juri might get a suggestion of Ryuotaro's LS if she tries to go for a throw or during a physical clash, seeing how his blows have the expected impact but a stronger push.
In that case she'd clearly figure it out and try to avoid being grapped.

So far, I see the battle hinges on Ryuotaro having to make the best out of his LS and Shockwaves to counter Juri's superior skills and stats, with the latter having to in turn maximize the boons of her enhanced senses, stat boosts and experience/fighting style to get around those. Each other have further elements at their disposal, but I believe these are the most importants.

Not really, aside from chi powering your entire body, but the durability ratio should remain the same as a real body, just upscaled to tier.
Since it's a shockwave of slighty less strength that Juri's overall dura, we might say it would deal considerable damage but not fatal, unless it lands clean on the heart or brain? I ain't sure.
It should do considerable damage but not outright lethal until more damage is stacked, unless they just hit in a crucial part like the head in which case they probably will badly damage her.
So far, I see the battle hinges on Ryuotaro having to make the best out of his LS and Shockwaves to counter Juri's superior skills and stats, with the latter having to in turn maximize the boons of her enhanced senses, stat boosts and experience/fighting style to get around those. Each other have further elements at their disposal, but I believe these are the most importants.
I honestly at the beginning thought Juri would handily win but after debate I feel like it could go either way and is actually more a fifty-fifty, so if there is nothing new that would really change the game then I think I'm voting inconclusive.

Agreed, SF IV Juri would have had an easier time because of some boons granted by the original engine, but this version has really to earn her victories. I have the feeling she'd manage to snatch out the victory most of the times thanks to experience, versatily and difficult-to-deal-with fighting style, but the match is indeed close.

Ehhh, I guess Juri FRA. And while I'm not sure how reasonable to expect gameplay combos would translate to vs debating, all versions of Feng Shui will allow her to basically combo him hard regardless.

So my pick (unless things happen during grace) wins? I would say that's impressive, but I think Saman carried the debating portion on Juri's end. I just said like one post and then life snatched my soul away.

Back