• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Your thoughts on the Martha scene from BvS

maxresdefault.jpg

Is it well written, stupid, meme able, poorly executed? What do you think?

Him: "Why did you say that name!!!"

Me: "Because the writers asked him too!!!"

On a serious note, I honestly don't know what to think about that scene.

I personally think it kinda makes since seeing as how Batman was building up Superman(in his mind) as some inhuman monster needed to be put down and didn’t really care for his parents either(things that Superman himself has heard for the dark knight). Which is why I believe he said “Martha” rather then “my mom”. In terms of Batman stopping his plan to kill Clark I think is a combination of Clark humanishing himself and his mother with his last words and Bruce getting ptsd flashbacks from his parents death from the whole Martha line. The execution was fine but still memeable

The entire movie is really stupid, but this scene in particular kind of solidified it as one of the worst. It could always be worse though.

"Save... Martha!"
"Who the **** is Martha?"
SUPERMAN
My mother... Martha Kent- Luther has her... save her...

BATMAN's face transforms from one of anger into one of solace. SUPERMAN's words -- his plead -- destroyed the image BATMAN had of his foe. He was no god, and he was no monster -- he was a human first, and super second.

BATMAN then stabbed SUPERMAN in the heart.

Batman said to Supes "I bet your parents said you were meant for greatness" showing he doesn’t care about Superman's parents, not until Supes himself said "Martha" instead of "Mom". It really shows how selfish Batman has become to add to his anger and little care of other people’s lives. He only cares when he hears his mother's name. And when he figures out this Martha person is actually Superman's mom, who Batman was sort or talking shit about earlier, Batman sees his younger self in Clark. He now sees he's no different than the man who took away his parents and questions what he's been doing to criminals this whole time.
As a bonus, Lex told Supes that he sent Batman a letter saying "you let your family die" when trying to provoke Batman, so that's probably another reason for Supes to say Martha, seeing how sensitive Bats is about his parents.

However, I do think this scene could’ve been changed around. The way it played out was fine, but changing the script/dialogue would be better for it.

TL:DR really good concept but needs better writing that isn’t too complex.

Back