• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wonder Woman: General / Spoiler Discussion

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
WonderWallpaper
Hello, everyone. Yesterday I saw DC's latest superhero movie, Wonder Woman, and decided I should create a thread talking about it.

First I will talk about it in general, saying what I thought about it as a movie. And then I will move onto a spoiler discussion, and will bring up the feats that the movie has. So let's begin.

General Thoughts:

The movie is freaking incredible.

I may be suspect to be saying this, as I am an unapologetic DC fan, but I truly think this is one of the genre's greats. And judging by both the critical and audience receptions, the vast majority seems to agree as well. Personally, I would put this alongside The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Spider-Man 2, Logan and Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) as one of the best comicbook movies ever made.

Gal Gadot is perfect as Wonder Woman. She's incredibly charismatic and has a sincere charm to her, and in action scenes she has a powerful presence. You never once see her as an actress playing a role, rather you truly believe in the character. I'd say she's up there with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, Robert Downey Junior's Iron Man and Christopher Reeves' Superman as performances that will go down in time as iconic.

Everyone who doubted her potential when Zack Snyder cast her for the role in 2015 should now feel ashamed.

The rest of the cast is also very good. Chris Pine does a fine job as Captain Steve Trevor, and he and Gadot have an excellent chemistry together. The other Amazons don't have much screen time, but Connie Nielsen's Queen Hippolyta is good. Etta Candy is a functional comic-relief, and the writers are smart not to let her steal the focus away from the plot. And the villains are all excellent.

The story is also very good. It's straightforward and simple, but very functional. And while lighter than previous DCEU installments, Wonder Woman is still a mostly serious story with actual stakes, drama and consequences. The humor is always kept in check, never being allowed to overtake the storyline, and as a result the movie manages to have real tension throughout. It's also very well directed, hitting on all the right notes and channeling all the needed emotions from the audience.

Finally, I have to give credit that in an age of Shared Universes, Spin-Offs and Sequels, the makers of Wonder Woman chose to create an entirely self-contained film. You don't need to watch any of the prior DCEU movie to follow the plot, nor does the movie set-up any sequel, nor are there any Post-Credits scenes in it. It's quite something.

If this is the direction the DCEU is headed, I'm even more excited for all that is to come.

Now, a more in-depth analysis.

Feats / Spoilers:

• According to the movie's backstory, the Gods of Olympus once ruled the land with Zeus as their king. Zeus created humanity in the gods' image, and imbued with many virtues such as righteousness, wisdom and compassion.
  • Ares, the God of War, despised Zeus' creation and sought to corrupt it. He cursed men with violence, wrath and blood-thirst, bringing war to the world.
  • Zeus then responded by creation another race, which would have the duty to protect man while spreading love and understanding: The Amazons. And for a time there was peace.
  • It's said the Hippolyta led a rebellion, freeing the amazons from slavery (Presumably from Heracles, the movie is unclear) and becoming their Queen.
  • Animosity between Zeus and Ares grew, and eventually Ares started a war of the gods, personally slaying them one by one until only Zeus remained
  • Zeus and Ares fought in single combat, with Zeus winning and destroying Ares with his thunderbolt. However, he was left mortally wounded.
  • Thus, with the last of his strength, Zeus created the Island of Themyscira where the Amazons would remain hidden, always preparing in the case of Ares' return. With them he left a weapon that could kill Ares: The God-Killer Sword.
  • Diana grew in Themyscira being taught combat by the older Amazon warriors with a training 10 times harder than normal. By the time the movie begins she already has thousands of years worth of training
  • Diana is also a cultured genius. She knows hundreds of languages and has read countless books over her lifetime, most notably the Greek Classics such as Plato, Homer and Hesiod.
  • The normal Amazons aren't exactly that impressive power wise. They are definitely superhuman, being capable of leaping many feet in the air, displaying superhuman accuracy, agility, etc. But they are susceptible to bullets and things of the like.
  • There is a slow-motion scene that should be calced that could put Amazons at Subsonic speed, tho.
  • As we already know, Wonder Woman isn't an ordinary Amazon: She's the daughter of Zeus. Throughout most of the movie she is unaware of her origins and thus has mental blocks restraining herself from her full potential. More on that later.
  • Throughout most of the movie the main villains are General Erich Ludendorff and Doctor Isabel Maru, aka Doctor Poison.
  • The former is a psychopath warmonger who wants to prolong the Great War and plans to do so by bombing London to the ground. The later is a mad scientist who invents incredibly powerful chemicals.
  • She creates a Hydrogen-Based Upgrade to the Mustard Gas, so potent is melts breathing masks and shatters glass. And she also creates a gas that boosts you to superhuman levels of strength.
  • Ares is the main villain of the movie, and he is insanely powerful for a superhero movie villain.
  • It's all but stated that Ares has been behind all major conflicts of human history. He whispers into the hearts of key figures of mankind, corrupting them to evil and bloodlust, and granting them inspiration for battle strategies and weapon creation.
  • Oh, and he can create illusions / mindscapes as well. To try and convince Wonder Woman to join his side, he shows her the paradise Earth would become if they rid it of humanity.
  • He showcases a large range of divine powers during the movie, such as: Flight, Teleportation, Shapeshifting, Telekinesis, Weather Manipulation (Influences the air, channels lightning from the skies), Earth Manipulation (Produces quakes), etc.
  • He can also manipulate matter. He materializes weapons from nothing and transforms surrounding rubble into his divine armor. He also controls metals Magneto style.
  • Finally, let's talk about something really neat: Wonder Woman's power progression.
  • In the beginning of the movie, she's a standard Amazon. That is until she produces an energy shockwaves (Like the ones in BvS, but smaller in scale) out of stress and begins to realize she's something more.
  • When the Amazons fight invading german soldiers on Themyscira, Diana is the only one who can follow the trajectory of the bullets, albeit she gets grazed by one and bleeds.
  • Later during the movie she becomes capable of blocking bullets from point-blank range.
  • She then leads a small army against the Germans, and blocks numerous bullets with ease. As the fight escalates, she becomes capable of lifting tanks around and even blows up the top-half of a church by ramming into it.
  • This Wonder Woman during the end of the movie gets casually stomped by Ares, and it's then that she learns the truth: The "God-Killer" left in Themyscira isn't the sword she carries, it's herself. Diana is the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta, and thus a being capable of killing a god.
  • When she finally embraces her divinity, Wonder Woman is capable of fighting Ares on even terms, and even starts demonstrating various godly powers, like some degree of telekinesis, hovering in the air, and energy absorption / reflection. And she also blocks the lightning he shoots at her twice, further cementing her MHS+ speed.
  • This means that Wonder Woman and those who scale to her should be upgraded to "At least Island level, likely higher"

I can say one thing when i went to one of the movie theaters that i went to with my fam to watch it last night: There was a goddman long line of people that wanted to watch the movie.

I was like "Dammmmmmmnnnnn!~"

I got incredibly lucky with my viewing of the movie, with few in it. And the feats are totally legit, with WW doing serious damage to Ares, neither holding back.

The real cal howard said:
I got incredibly lucky with my viewing of the movie, with few in it. And the feats are totally legit, with WW doing serious damage to Ares, neither holding back.
Yup. In the DCEU, the Justice League are the new Olympians.

Also evidence of legit scaling: Superman's feat of shifting a tectonic plate and Aquaman having Poseidon'd trident as his weapon.

@Cal: Same here.

Anyways, i think the feats seem to be good enough if anything from the looks of this...

Besides being extremely uncomfortable in the movie seats, I enjoyed watching one of my favorite female superhero characters get her just movie.

Also could we find the speed of the lighting ares called down?

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
Besides being extremely uncomfortable in the movie seats, I enjoyed watching one of my favorite female superhero characters get her just movie.
Also could we find the speed of the lighting ares called down?
It's natural lightning. 4.4×10^5 m/s

Did you notice after she starts going ham and ares fires the blades he created, it appears as though she created a barrier that vaporized the metal before proceeded to clang her bracers together?

Yes. The blades even appear to stop on air for a moment, almost as if she's telekinetically stopping them. Either that, or the energy she's liberating is simply vaporizing it in the air.

Why is she Island level in your opinion? Due to Zeus creating Themyscira? If so, it depends on the size of the Island.

Themyscera is huge. It has a city, mountains, rivers and waterfalls, thermal waters, etc. Assuming it to be an Island level feat is pretty self explanatory.

What about the old Small Country level calc on Spacebattles? Is it to speculative to use?

If the Island has entire mountain ranges, a city and room to spare, I think rating it as Island level is fine.

If someone ended up saying this already I'm sorry for missing it but fun fact.

This is the first highly successful movie directed by a woman starring a female protagonist.

Also, I knew Gal Gadot could do this, she was always great in the FaF movies.

I REALLY want to say this but I don't know if it's arrogant. I saw this at the IMAX in Massachusetts. Not only was I not disappointed, but hearing her theme during the town fight with that sound.....Pure, perfection....

Also, I talked to a couple guys who sat next to me before it filled up, they both already saw the movie, thought it was dope and watched it again.

Praise be to Diana Prince!

@Darkanine Okay. I suppose that is reasonable.

Perhaps a trip to the movie theatres should be placed in my schedule soon.

Anyways, no calculations can be done for feats from this movie yet unless someone can obtain a copy of this movie, unfortunately.

I think it is also worthy to note that the island might exist in a pocket dimension. The island is shrouded in fog, and then once you penetrate that there is a barrier, but from the point of view of the island iirc all you see is the horizon. It's either an illusion or a pocket dimension. I feel like a case can be made for either or.

Saw the movie, thoroughly enjoyed it. Ares, Zeus, and boosted Diana are definitely "At least 6-C, likely higher". However, I am unsure if this scales to characters like Superman. Ares was toying with WW most of the fight and still stomping her. She never inflicted any actual damage in the first half, but absolutely wasted him after embracing her divinity.

Basically, because of the differnt aura and effects, I am unsure if that was a permanent boost or a form she only takes in certain instances.

Either way, the Zeus feat is legit.

@Azathoth

I'm pretty sure that she scales throughout. Specially since we know that Superman shifted a tectonic plate off-screen, and Aquaman wields Poseidon's Trident as his weapon. So in this universe the Justice Leaguers scale to the Olympian Gods.

@Matt

Has anyone calced the Superman thing? Because that might be even higher and would now be supported by a literally dying Zeus creating an island.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
@Matt
Has anyone calced the Superman thing? Because that might be even higher and would now be supported by a literally dying Zeus creating an island.
The result was literally the start of 6-B. I need to put the calc in a blog.

so allow me to play devil's advocate for a couple of feats:

1. Are we sure Zeus created this island instantly or ― at least ― reasonably fast? Depending on how long it took him to create the island, wouldn't that affect his tiering?

2. iirc correctly, lightning (or electricity in general) travels at a slower speed horizontally through the air. While Ares did summon real lightning from the sky, he redirects it at Diana. So would that still be a MHS+ feat?

That stated, as a fun easter egg people should go back and watch Lex as he's talking about Zeus chaining Prometheus back in BvS. Diana looks a little pissed that Lex is talking about her daddy ;)

"Are we sure Zeus created this island instantly or ― at least ― reasonably fast? Depending on how long it took him to create the island, wouldn't that affect his tiering?"

The narrative says that he created it with the last of his dying breath, thus he poured the last of his power to create it. That would only be a tiny fraction of the power he'd have at his peak.

"iirc correctly, lightning (or electricity in general) travels at a slower speed horizontally through the air. While Ares did summon real lightning from the sky, he redirects it at Diana. So would that still be a MHS+ feat?"

Yes it still is.

Aside from maybe needing a calc for Supes off-screen feat, it looks like we're pretty good here ye?

Tier 6 DCEU heavy hitters, huh? I think I'm starting to agree with some people that whoever's making the MCU movies nerfed Thor and Hulk hard.

Back