• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is this fanfiction on the wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have all the scans, and references for all things in the profile...nothing new is brought up in this thread as all of this can be seen in the Incomplete Life Orb page. If till now, no one made a deletion thread then it means it was accepted, if not the make a thread about deletion or its copyright rights so it can be finally decided. A lot of staff evaluated it while tiering it since its not just tier 1, but a really high tier 1 verse. So I would suggest making a thread with an actual structured argument for the deletion or the like, and not like this. If not, then go on with your day.
I agree someone more knowledgeable should do so but does tier matter if it infringes on others copyright or IP? (NVM ignore this I misread what you said)
But I still agree me or someone more knowledgeable should go ahead with a structured deletion thread. But for now I'll keep looking if no one else is willing to.

Last edited:
They like to make fanfiction. Qidian is full of this. And they don't care about copyright, if it's popular enough it can get licensied in their site.

Have many novel about people going into anime world (like date a live/naruto/db) or summoning character from these world that get licensied.

Honestly, the verse existence is somewhat in a weird position to be fair. I doubt ActuallySpaceMan42 was ever dishonest when he presented the verse to the staff or that somehow people wouldn't know about the existence of said characters seeing all the blogs he did.

If the staff agreed to it, it means that it had been thoroughly examined no? I doubt they would let fanfiction level (cough) of power just exist as they please on the wiki. Wasn't the whole deal with the series of books that only the first one had such a "copyright" issue?

In any case, for the sake of his work and if the staff changes their opinion, it should be moved to another wiki, just like others people suggested.

Honestly, the verse existence is somewhat in a weird position to be fair. I doubt ActuallySpaceMan42 was ever dishonest when he presented the verse to the staff or that somehow people wouldn't know about the existence of said characters seeing all the blogs he did.

If the staff agreed to it, it means that it had been thoroughly examined no? I doubt they would let fanfiction level (cough) of power just exist as they please on the wiki. Wasn't the whole deal with the series of books that only the first one had such a "copyright" issue?

In any case, for the sake of his work and if the staff changes their opinion, it should be moved to another wiki, just like others people suggested.
Yea definitely, it'd be a shame for something he spent so much time on to just be removed without any other place. This verse staying or being moved is entirely staff decision like any removal is too.

lot of staff evaluated it while tiering it since its not just tier 1, but a really high tier 1 verse.
The staff thread was merely if the Tier 1 rating was valid, not if the series is considered fan fiction.

When previously brought up to me idea was that they were just references to other characters to my memory (such as this thing looks like a Balrog). If it's just a monetized hypercrossover with a bunch of people it would fit more in line with FC/OC due to how we treat Copyright and intellectual property.

Though theoretically, if accounting for Chinese lax copyright laws, you could treat every referenced character as a non-canon version of the original and that might not effect anything. Though at that point technically any fan fiction would be viable for the site.

It's not fan fiction, so it does not qualify for being FC/OC. None of the characters scale to their original version, the verse is under copyright with it's own officially licensed comic, it's legally being sold, and the author stated multiple times he's not writing fan fiction and on Qidian it is not listed under the fan fiction section.

copium-meme.gif

It's not fan fiction, so it does not qualify for being FC/OC. None of the characters scale to their original version, the verse is under copyright with it's own officially licensed comic, it's legally being sold, and the author stated multiple times he's not writing fan fiction and on Qidian it is not listed under the fan fiction section.
Doesn't matter if a character doesn't scale to original. That is AU
Copyright in China is very loose.
Death of the author.

the verse is under copyright with it's own officially licensed comic, it's legally being sold
As has been discussed in this thread, this really doesn't matter much because China's copyright laws are incredibly lax and let's you get away with creating and publishing stuff like this all the time.
and the author stated multiple times he's not writing fan fiction
This also isn't an argument. If anything, this is just an example of Death of the Author.
I've checked this issue with staff before, it doesn't break any rules.
Cool, now can you show screenshots of this or bring any of these mentioned staff to this thread? Because right now it seems a lot of them are against the verse.

Do you happen to know if there are more references/naming of already existing characters beyond the first book?

Don't really know the story, but just on your last point, fan fiction is not always under the fan fiction section on Qidian. For example a lot of Harry potter fanfiction is on the 奇幻 (fantasy) section. Just reading from this thread it sounds like the books are 无限流 (infinte style? idk how to translate basically just main character going to different worlds often from established IPs) which alot of the times are a type of fan fic.

so how does the whole Copyright thing work? Does the wiki follow USA rules or does it have its own rules about this?
Typically it mostly depends on the nature of what it is. Jojo having a single panel of Spider-Man's hand isn't a copyright violation or anything like that. It would be consistent usage of other character's likeness or a licensed character themselves being used in a work where the line is drawn.

For a series with a ton of references like Scott Pilgrim, it also depends on how much that other material effects stuff. A bunch of one panel references isn't the same as a character actively being involved in the plot or doing stuff.

Evidently the author has no idea what he is doing then
Well the line if fan fiction can just be different. If the Universe just allows a other characters to exist then it wouldn't be fan fiction in the traditional sense, especially when the main character is an OC.

It's more about plot impact and how much they borrow ideas that would make the franchise useable or not.

The author saying he's not creating fanfiction is tantamount to someone punching another in the face and that same person said they didn't punch that other person in the face despite the very visual fact that they did punch that person in the face.

Homie's opinion literally doesn't matter at all within the context of him actually creating what's definitionally considered as "fanfiction" or not, he could believe he's not creating fanfiction all he wants, if you're by definition creating fanfiction, you're creating fanfiction. Simple as.

For a series with a ton of references like Scott Pilgrim, it also depends on how much that other material effects stuff. A bunch of one panel references isn't the same as a character actively being involved in the plot or doing stuff.
The Author doesn't pull these characters out of thin air, nor do they greatly affect the plot;
Because of his appearance, Lan Mu was 100% sure of one thing. The materialization of the fantasy figurine came from the fantasy data contained in the Super USB drive.

Some of the fantasy characters in the Super USB drive could be found in reality, but there were too many characters that had never been created on Earth or even in other worlds.

The Life Orb transformed into all sorts of non-humans and had no memories, so it was impossible to be 100% certain. However, the Fantasy Figurine had already pointed towards a certain possibility because he had the exact same personality and memories as the character in the novel.

Then, where was the Earth depicted in the countless works in the USB drive?

The Author doesn't pull these characters out of thin air, nor do they greatly affect the plot;
Greatly affecting the plot isn't really what I was pushing. It's active involvement and continued usage that would decide usability. If there's just chapter where character's the author doesn't own are around and doing stuff it's just intellectual infringement at that point.

Having Saitama appear, join the MC's organization and help him fight through to the final boss, is a lot different then him appearing for a few chapters cause of a special item that pulls fantastical creatures from an alternate earth and dealing with him for 10 minutes.
That's still taking a character from another fictional work into this one. Still fanfiction.

Greatly affecting the plot isn't really what I was pushing. It's active involvement and continued usage that would decide usability. If there's just chapter where character's the author doesn't own are around and doing stuff it's just intellectual infringement at that point.
They aren't, they don't naturally exist in the author's stories, they appear to be experimented on in a lower dimension for a chapter then are never brought up.

They aren't, they don't naturally exist in the author's stories, they appear to be experimented on in a lower dimension for a chapter then are never brought up.
Also with all the other intellectual infringement I believe it's good to bring up the keys that are obviously MC transforming into other characters and gaining their abilities. This is a consistent thing as well apparently and very relevant in MC's growth in power.

Well, to settle this in a civil way I'll ask the OP @BestMGQScalerEver this: Organize quotes and examples of what you believe suggest that the work uses to much copyrighted material to be on VSBattles and a series.

@ActuallySpaceMan42 will be allowed to respond and I'll call in other mods to decide what to do.

Just saying things without textual examples isn't going to get us anywhere and that would be the simplest way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back