• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is Game & Watch not Tier 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why G&W in base isn't 11-A, even though his bio on the page says that he's 2-D, and he's been stated to be 2-D multiple times by official sources.

>Expert on Obscure Retro Video Game

Why hello there.

As far as I know, the statements about G&W being 2-D comes from Super Smash Bros., which isn't canon to the original Game & Watch games, and Mr. Game & Watch has shown very non-2D feats in Smash itself. So I'm afraid there is no version of G&W that is truly 11-A.

Character descriptions in SSB should be taken seriously since that is there purpose, to tell you about the character and what there verse is about. However feats should and what the character does in combat should not since its exclusive to the SSB universe.

Yeah but a few statements of being 2D vs tons of 3D feats far above 11-A means that G&W just isn't 11-A. Much like how a 3D character can be Tier 2 via feats.

If they are all from SSB I dont think we should count them but if they are from game and watchs proper canon then im fine with it.

Err..Rad.The Tropy descriptions are and should be SSB only too. No way they would apply to the original verse. Especially since the Game & Watch games were never portrayed to be truly 2-D, even in the Gallery games.

The thing is that "Mr. Game & Watch" doesn't really exist in the main canon. And the very few "canon" we have of the Game & Watch games treats the characters as real characters instead of 2D figures. Heck, it even has Link, Mario and Donkey Kong in them.

I guess to be fair with the whole trophy description thing, Super Sonic is only stated to be "near the speed of light", even though we have Sonic ranked at FTL in base and Massively FTL in Super. Guess that means the descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Err..Rad.The Tropy descriptions are and should be SSB only too. No way they would apply to the original verse. Especially since the Game & Watch games were never portrayed to be truly 2-D, even in the Gallery games.
Excctly.

Why the hell do we have him at 5-B? When did he ever recieve the TriForce?

Doesnt Mr. G&W not use like...any original abilities? I thought his entire moveset was comprised of all powers from the different Game and Watch games?

The composite G&W we uses is made up of all the G&W player character, including Game & Watch Link or Mario

That's silly because that's Link and not MR. Game & Watch. Just some G&W of LoZ... It's like a skin, or a crossover. It's really silly to keep it on there. We should acutally give that to Link's profile. Technically it could be listed as non-canon.

The thing is that Mr. G&W is a concept from Smash, and the smash composite includes things from Mario game and such.

What do you mean? We have a key for the Smash version of G&W (With feats from Smash) and another one for "original" G&W, being a composite of the same elements from the Snash versions, without he Smash feats

The key about being comparable to Mario is for the Gallery Remake, unrelated to the Smash or Original Key.

So we're clear now that he does have a canon 11-A form, yes?

He looks 2D in Smash. If you pause and turn the camera, he's flat. But if he can attack 3D entities, is that how we got his Smash Tier?

Only the Gallery key do, and Triforce I guess. But in this case, the G&W games are part of two canon at the same time, the G&W one and the Zelda/ Mario one

The 9-B Game and Watch key and the Smash key we're about to give him can stay. Not comfortable with everything else.

The Game and Watch gallery "feats" are a bit of a stretch; they assume that Mr. Game and Watch, in a GBA game, scales to High 4-C Mario, several years prior to him performing any of those feats, just because you can toggle the graphics to replace the G&W characters with Mario characters.

And the 5-B Mr. Game and Watch key gives him composite feats that aren't even his; it's clearly not Mr. Game and Watch who wields the triforce, it's Game and Watch Link who does. So much cross-verse scaling is applied here in this profile that it's ridiculous. I don't see many people taking us seriously with a "Composite every character that has ever appeared in a Game and Watch Game" key on our profile.

And no, "They exist in two canons at once" is not a justification for this. The games featuring characters from other verses are clearly crossovers at best, thus making them non-canon.

If we scale Game and Watch to ANY other character that made an appearance in the Game and Watch games, the we should scale them to the characters AS depicted in those games, otherwise we'll get inflated stats. And as far as I know, Mario doesn't have any High 4-C feats prior to SMG, let alone in Game and Watch gallery, so I doubt Game and Watch scales.

9-B | At least 8-C, likely 7-B

Going to have to bump this, as it is quite the change in stats.

Also Arbitrary Numbers has a point, this amount of cross-verse scaling is not allowed. So even if this thread doesn't get concluded I have to remove all of those keys.

I agree that cross-verse scaling is not allowed according to our rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back