• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I'm just about done with JoJo (about 20 chapters left in Jojolion, and am looking for a shonen to read. My current list is the following, but feel free to suggest more:

Medaka Box

Saint Seiya

My Hero Academia (caught up on anime)

Warren Valion said:
What have you read already, and what are tropes and cliches do you like?
the only long running series I have read is JoJo. Seen the DB anime, so I don't really wanna read the manga, and tried the first 100 or so chapters of Naruto and couldn't get into it.

Setsuna tenma said:
Bastard(it is an actual manga BTW)
read the first 20 chapters or so. Wasn't a fan.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Thats the food one? I know nothing about it other than watching the dumb crossover with DBZ and One Piece.

StarSlayer666 said:
Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.
I've never hard of the second one. I'll look into it.

Yeah, it was a really enjoyable read. At first my knowledge of it was the same as yours(just the crossover) but then I read it and it was a lot of fun.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Yeah, it was a really enjoyable read. At first my knowledge of it was the same as yours(just the crossover) but then I read it and it was a lot of fun.
its a more comedic manga, right?

Eh, it's a battle shounen. It kind of has a Dragon Ball and One Piece vibe. There are jokes here and there, but it's not a comedy.

I'd definitely recommend D.Grayman!! Katekyo Hitman Reborn!! And Magi!! Some of my personal favorites ever. If you read D.Grayman your probably gonna automatically like KHR cause they came out around the same time well they definitely got into SJ around the same time.

Magi is just freaking greatness! If you looking for some of the best character development ever read that. There are no bad guys. There is only great development which gives you people who make their ambitions into reality

I'd say keep Medaka Box at the top of the list rn. It has damn good writing style and characters.

Other shounen:

GetBackers may be decent if you like badass and comedy.

Grappler Baki is pretty damn good just for the fights and hype of it. You can stick to the anime if you want doe.

That's all the shonen i can think of rn. Other shonens that come to mind are the ones everyone and their mother knows about. Though definitely go for Medaka Box, it's totally worth the read.

I would recommend assassination classroom, since it's technically a shounen and really good, but that may not be what you're looking for.

Seven deadly sins and history's strongest disciple kenichi are both shounen i really like so would recommend them.

Here's 10 Shonen manga that I've read with good action, characters and writing that you might enjoy and are fairly standard and popular (though it's up to personal preference:

1. One Piece
  2. JoJo
  3. Yu Yu Hakusho
  4. D. Gray Man
  5. My Hero Academia
  6. Gintama
  7. Hunter x Hunter
  8. Magi
  9. Katekyo Hitman Rebon
  10. RAVE

Andytrenom said:
I would recommend assassination classroom, since it's technically a shounen and really good, but that may not be what you're looking for.

Seven deadly sins and history's strongest disciple kenichi are both shounen i really like so would recommend them.
I already watched Assassination class SDS looks interesting

SDS is pretty good. Since you're going to be reading the manga, I also recommend Black Clover. It's pretty good at subverting the standard shounen cliches.

Chartate101 said:
I've only heard horror stories of Black clover. Never touching it with a 39-and-one-half foot poll
Eh, I heard the same about Jojos before I started. I feel it's better to form your own opinions off the actual source instead of just listening to what others say. Which is pretty ironic because I'm recommending it to you off of my opinio

I've started Black Clover recently and it's actually better than people usually says. Yeah, it's a lot of cliches but at least the protagonist has more merit by his own effort than just because he gained the greatest power up. Of course I'm only in episode 8 of the anime so IDK if this will go like this the rest of the series. Also, I'm great interested on its world and the development.

But yeah, One Piece definitely worths the shot. People says it starts slow but if you like characters's backstory and emotive fights that's what you'll find. Also, the worldbuilding it's the best I've seen so far in a shonen manga.

I know this is for shonen but Sun-Ken Rock and Hajime no Ippo are definitely titles that you should read.

I haven't read this one but despite the anime ending Soul Eater is a great series and the manga is even better going by what I've heard about it. It's in my list actually.

To me reading One Piece is like as grand adventure as the series itself some people may be turned off by its length but if you stick with it it'll be completely worth it

been a fan of manga for 15 years now and with the end of many series i liked in those years or slow devellopment ( Hunter x Hunter , JoJo , Berserk) , i begun to slowly loose interrest

that's when i came across Medaka box . My god , that manga was the most fun i had in years reading manga . The start is a little slow but still enjoyable but as soon as Kumagawa( best characther in fiction ,fite me) enter the scene he steal the show .

it's not a master piece of writting ( but still quite good in it's characthers) , but if you've been reading conventionnal shounen manga for a long time now and it start to bore you , it's a breath of fresh air .

Hunter x Hunter is my next one to recommend , i can (and did) watch the 2011 anime 10 times now and still not bored of it .

TLDR : Medaka Box is awesome , Hunter x Hunter is gold too .

Naeblis495 said:
that's when i came across Medaka box . My god , that manga was the most fun i had in years reading manga . The start is a little slow but still enjoyable but as soon as Kumagawa( best characther in fiction ,fite me) enter the scene he steal the show .

it's not a master piece of writting ( but still quite good in it's characthers)
Yes best character in fiction. He's total gold.

About that im gonna have to disagree. Medaka Box's character drive it's story, the characters are the main point of the show, especially since Medaka Box literally has no plot or goal.

But yeah Medaka box is god damn glorious.

Medaka, in my opinion, is actually quite a bland protagonist. In what way do you ever expect any battle with her to have any sort of tension? There simply is none, because you always know she'll win. It's established from the beginning that she'll always win. 194 chapters just to see Medaka win over and over again by asspulls, Deus ex machina or even bending the tenets of the narrative itself to her favor. She was made to be this formulaic and boring by design and that's quite saddening. Medaka has nothing. She does things for the sake of people. For the sake of the reader. She does what the reader wants her to do all the time. The entire concept of this character is so inoffensive; so formulaic; so safe, that you never expect anything out of her than what you always would. She'll never do anything stupid, or screw up, or say anything out of character. She exists for the sake of filling in the protagonist slot.

Sorry for the rant >_>

RotofBots said:
Medaka, in my opinion, is actually quite a bland protagonist. In what way do you ever expect any battle with her to have any sort of tension? There simply is none, because you always know she'll win. It's established from the beginning that she'll always win. 194 chapters just to see Medaka win over and over again by asspulls, Deus ex machina or even bending the tenets of the narrative itself to her favor. She was made to be this formulaic and boring by design and that's quite saddening. Medaka has nothing. She does things for the sake of people. For the sake of the reader. She does what the reader wants her to do all the time. The entire concept of this character is so inoffensive; so formulaic; so safe, that you never expect anything out of her than what you always would. She'll never do anything stupid, or screw up, or say anything out of character. She exists for the sake of filling in the protagonist slot.
Sorry for the rant >_>
slight spoiler for medaka box below ( don't know how to use spoiler tag on forum sorry)

medaka interest as a characther never was about her battle strengh because as you said , she pretty much op and will always win ( cept when she don't) , it was about her place in the world and her unability to understand people because she is so OP .

at two years old she already ridicule the greatest minds of the planet and can do everything physical with extreme ease .

The result of all that is that at two years old , she already ponder "why the **** am i even alive for? this chapter sums up a good deal :https://www.***********.net/medaka-box/51

at the end of the chapter , you learn what she choose as a reason to continue living , which sound quite good on paper.

only for the manga , many chapters later , to shit all over it and make you realise how bullshit and toxic that was

i don't like medaka box characthers or story because they are op or do good fights , i love them because the characthers are awesome and it made me realise how so many shonen tropes that are considered normals ( like born geniuses ,OP characthers , the eternal side kick , assuming the main characther is always right just because it won a fight ... ) can in fact be so very toxic for the mental development of the person

i love medaka box because it perfectly deconstruct the shonen manga tropes that i grew bored with and do it with awesome characthers

Back