• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Ovy, there was a thing I was meant to ask for a long time now.
So, we all now how Ryu uses and writes works based on Osamu Tezuka's star system, and always with very few exceptions incorporates verse's mechanics to seemingly unconnected to Cry-works, wouldn't it be better to rename the verse to "Ryukishi07-verse" and incorporate works he is the author of, like Loopers or Iwaihime?
Thing is there isn't much point. His When They Cry works are all connected at least, so leaving it as is is best. His other works don't really have any relation to WTC.

Someone technically could make a profile for his non WTC stories, which at that point a "R07" tag could be implemented, but until then, no point in changing it.

His other works don't really have any relation to WTC.
Except they do FRA. Hell, Harem Royal is technically not a work of 07th expansion, despite obviously being part of it. Yet it is written by Ryu. Kaidan to Odorou too. Bakemonotachi even has its own versions of Rika and Dr Irie, although I haven't read that one.

I always felt like it is better to have one name of the collection of works, akin to Cthulhu Mythos, since having publisher's name is a bit restrictive.

Except they do FRA. Hell, Harem Royal is technically not a work of 07th expansion, despite obviously being part of it. Yet it is written by Ryu. Kaidan to Odorou too. Bakemonotachi even has its own versions of Rika and Dr Irie, although I haven't read that one.

I always felt like it is better to have one name of the collection of works, akin to Cthulhu Mythos, since having publisher's name is a bit restrictive.
And what proves any of these above ones are definitively part of the WTC verse? Genuinely curious

Also, 07 outright said Kaidan to Odorou isn't related to Higurashi. It has similarities yes, but that's it.

" Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Famous Scene Investigation File 100 Long Interview: "Those who have read the original story already know what it's about, so they enjoy the changes that happen when the original story is turned inside out. In the case of gaiden stories, the story is completely unpredictable, so I think it's something that people can enjoy purely as a manga. I also wanted to try a new challenge myself. When I reached the end of that challenge, I wrote "Kaidan to Odorou, Soshite Anata wa Kaidan de Odoru" (published by Kodansha Sirius) and "Gakkou Youkai Kikou" (published by Dragon Age Pure), which are completely new works that have nothing to do with Higurashi.""

On this, a verse like Nasuverse has multiple tags, since the verse as a whole has multiple parts that encompass one whole multiverse (Tsukihime, Fate, KNK, etc).
Its a similar case here for WTC, except in this case, we don't have one for all of Ryukishi's works, just the WTC stuff.

And what proves any of these above ones are definitively part of the WTC verse? Genuinely curious
Well, Harem Royal already accepted despite not being a work of 07th expansion. Which is the point. That all of these works are anyway written by Ruy and that should be our criteria, not whether it was made with his company.
For others, once again, Ruy stated multiple times that he uses Osamu Tezuka's star system, which you can google, but in short - all of his works are part of a giant... connection of works, they exist connected to one another.
Also, 07 outright said Kaidan to Odorou isn't related to Higurashi. It has similarities yes, but that's it.

" Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Famous Scene Investigation File 100 Long Interview: "Those who have read the original story already know what it's about, so they enjoy the changes that happen when the original story is turned inside out. In the case of gaiden stories, the story is completely unpredictable, so I think it's something that people can enjoy purely as a manga. I also wanted to try a new challenge myself. When I reached the end of that challenge, I wrote "Kaidan to Odorou, Soshite Anata wa Kaidan de Odoru" (published by Kodansha Sirius) and "Gakkou Youkai Kikou" (published by Dragon Age Pure), which are completely new works that have nothing to do with Higurashi.""
What he means here is that it isn't connected to specifically Higurashi. As in, it isn't a different arc of answers or an addition like Mei these days, just a separate work. But as he said in another interviews, even his separate works are interconnected.

On this, a verse like Nasuverse has multiple tags, since the verse as a whole has multiple parts that encompass one whole multiverse (Tsukihime, Fate, KNK, etc).
Its a similar case here for WTC, except in this case, we don't have one for all of Ryukishi's works, just the WTC stuff.
I mean, I like my example with Cthulhu Mythos more, Nasuverse feels more of an exeption at how complex it is. Like, to a ridiculous levels.

EDIT: Actually, looking at all different Fate and ish verse pages, I feel like people weren't bothered with making multiple tabbers, but it is doable.

I have no problem using the 07th Expansions works, but I generally don't like using Ryu's works for other companies like ReWrite or Loopers (works he did for KEY). It's extremely easy to argue that all the 07th Expan. works are part of the same cosmology because of how the Sea of Fragments works, each work being its own random Kakera in the sea (like Hotarubi).

I have no problem using the 07th Expansions works, but I generally don't like using Ryu's works for other companies like ReWrite or Loopers (works he did for KEY). It's extremely easy to argue that all the 07th Expan. works are part of the same cosmology because of how the Sea of Fragments works, each work being its own random Kakera in the sea (like Hotarubi).
But it is just as easy to make argument for his other works, if not easier. I just did ^.
You tying works being part of the verse to company, while I - to the author. Which we technically are already doing.

Yes, but Copyright laws are a thing
?? On our wiki specifically you mean? It won't matter if we simply change the name above to his. It's not like we are making When They Cry: Connections and adding Rewrite and Loopers there.

Well, Harem Royal already accepted despite not being a work of 07th expansion.
On this site you mean? If so I didn't know that and have never seen HR brought up for any revisions.
What he means here is that it isn't connected to specifically Higurashi. As in, it isn't a different arc of answers or an addition like Mei these days, just a separate work. But as he said in another interviews, even his separate works are interconnected.
I mean at that point there's also no definitive proof its in same cosmology besides just loosely sharing some similarities is the thing.
Personally, I'd prefer definitive proof that his non WTC stuff share the same cosmology. He could sneak easter eggs in them and such, but that alone isn't what I'd consider to be the best proof for them not being there own little stories.

Yeah, I always hear this argument about easter eggs. But they are not such. He specifically said that he adds these similarities to connect worlds of different works, and not to add just to add.

Is there an actual reason for such separation, do you know? I kinda want to make a sandbox for one single page, looks fun.

Yeah, I always hear this argument about easter eggs. But they are not such. He specifically said that he adds these similarities to connect worlds of different works, and not to add just to add.
See, I think this is much more solid. For every 07th story sharing the same cosmology anyways. I do share Ovy's view on the non 07th ones though. Have a quote to this?
Is there an actual reason for such separation, do you know? I kinda want to make a sandbox for one single page, looks fun.
Its because Nasuverse is one whole cosmology (and the cast do crossover at times), but Fate, Tsukihime, KNK, and the other stuff are different parts of the multiverse with their own stories.

About the "easter eggs", IIRC there's a quote from one of the interviews where Ryu talks about Battler and Butler from RGD, and he says that they are basically the same "actor" playing different roles. This, along with another statement comparing Witches to us playing Skyrim with different characters + the Osamu Tezuka stuff does heavily imply that all his works are connected in a way. Like, Rika is legit in almost every single 07th work of his (I think Higanbana and Iwaihime are the only ones where she doesn't have an expy).

See, I think this is much more solid. For every 07th story sharing the same cosmology anyways. I do share Ovy's view on the non 07th ones though. Have a quote to this?
Further questioning included such topics such as the connection between the characters of Erika Furudo and Bernkastel from Umineko and Rika from Higurashi. Ryukishi sees his characters as actors and compared using the above characters in Umineko as being similar to Harrison Ford playing both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, in that the person behind the role is the same, but the character they are playing in each movie, or in this case game, is very different. He would then go on to mention that Higurashi and Umineko take place in worlds that are very distant from each other, yet still connected.

H: There is something else I want to know. Is Umineko a must watch (for Gou)?
R: One part of my fictional world/character settings are similar, or pretty much borrow the concept of star system (Japanese term to designate how authors reuse their characters as if they were actors, similar to how Tezuka did before), making you feel "Oh, there is that character!". Of course, you will enjoy that if you read Umineko, but it has nothing to do with Umineko.

R07: That’s right. The two works share a part of the same setting, and I have a huge unified world in my mind, but it’s just a framework in my brain, not something that is clearly depicted in the story. It’s like Osamu Tezuka’s Phoenix. While the stories are independent of each other, Phoenix and Saruta appear in most of the stories, don’t they? So you don’t necessarily need to know Umineko no Naku Koro ni to enjoy Higurashi. Of course, I would like you to read all the volumes of Phoenix, though laughs

Here, in original tweet Okonogi from Higurashi was mentioned and was said how they liked him, to which Ryu says that the same "actor" also appears in Rewrite, so it does apply to non-WTC works (even if you exclude Rewrite itself, it still shows how Ryu applies it to other works).

Its because Nasuverse is one whole cosmology (and the cast do crossover at times), but Fate, Tsukihime, KNK, and the other stuff are different parts of the multiverse with their own stories.

Yeah, but it can be handled with tabbers like on our 07th page. Or Star Wars, for example, has similar problem but on single page. I just don't want to change something (or well, making new page) if there's some specific reason...

Further questioning included such topics such as the connection between the characters of Erika Furudo and Bernkastel from Umineko and Rika from Higurashi. Ryukishi sees his characters as actors and compared using the above characters in Umineko as being similar to Harrison Ford playing both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, in that the person behind the role is the same, but the character they are playing in each movie, or in this case game, is very different. He would then go on to mention that Higurashi and Umineko take place in worlds that are very distant from each other, yet still connected.

H: There is something else I want to know. Is Umineko a must watch (for Gou)?
R: One part of my fictional world/character settings are similar, or pretty much borrow the concept of star system (Japanese term to designate how authors reuse their characters as if they were actors, similar to how Tezuka did before), making you feel "Oh, there is that character!". Of course, you will enjoy that if you read Umineko, but it has nothing to do with Umineko.

R07: That’s right. The two works share a part of the same setting, and I have a huge unified world in my mind, but it’s just a framework in my brain, not something that is clearly depicted in the story. It’s like Osamu Tezuka’s Phoenix. While the stories are independent of each other, Phoenix and Saruta appear in most of the stories, don’t they? So you don’t necessarily need to know Umineko no Naku Koro ni to enjoy Higurashi. Of course, I would like you to read all the volumes of Phoenix, though laughs

Here, in original tweet Okonogi from Higurashi was mentioned and was said how they liked him, to which Ryu says that the same "actor" also appears in Rewrite, so it does apply to non-WTC works (even if you exclude Rewrite itself, it still shows how Ryu applies it to other works).
In that case, sure I can definitely buy all the 07th stuff sharing a cosmology.
Still pretty eh on the non 07th ones though.
Yeah, but it can be handled with tabbers like on our 07th page. Or Star Wars, for example, has similar problem but on single page. I just don't want to change something (or well, making new page) if there's some specific reason...
In general it just makes it easier to keep track of revisions and such instead of slapping everything under "Nasuverse." Like, massively so. If all them just had "Nasuverse" with no clear separation, it'd make keeping track of stuff a nightmare, especially if it's a CRT or something for a singular part of the verse and not a a whole

Anyways, sure if anyone wants to make a CRT for at least all of the 07th works to be included as part of the cosmology, I'd be down to back them.
Higanbana I never finished lol. Will get to reading that soon.

Anyways, sure if anyone wants to make a CRT for at least all of the 07th works to be included as part of the cosmology, I'd be down to back them.
There already was one made by me and accepted like 2 years ago

Better read the VN. Not only it's actually finished, it's better too.

Better read the VN. Not only it's actually finished, it's better too.
I doubt it has translation to my language and it's hard for me to consentrate when it's in english. I suspect I might have adhd.
But I'll see what I can do...

I doubt it has translation to my language and it's hard for me to consentrate when it's in english. I suspect I might have adhd.
But I'll see what I can do...
I think I've seen some screenshots in Russian, but I'm not 100% sure

There already was one made by me and accepted like 2 years ago
Oh they were? Didn't know that because every CRT that's followed since just mentions WTC stories.

Also just so everyone knows, WTC is only universal level. Cope and SEETHE 😛

Based Kurisu Makise pfp btw. I remember binging all the Steins Gate anime years ago
Thank you. Been meaning to give the Visual Novel another read before this month of May ends. 2011 to 2023 is time enough for plots to fade from memories. But I'd still have Makise for a pfp even if I didn't. :coffee: 🥼

Back