• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What type of weaponry would it take to kill a T. Rex?

Assuming the person has a a practical amount of ammo, it would only be one gun and I want to know how many shots it would take. I know for a fact most over the over the counter hunting guns won’t do a thing to it. What guns could it tank and guns could it not tank. Im thinking you would need explosives.

Assuming the person has a a practical amount of ammo, it would only be one gun and I want to know how many shots it would take. I know for a fact most over the over the counter hunting guns won’t do a thing to it. What guns could it tank and guns could it not tank. Im thinking you would need explosives.
tbh something like an anti-material rifle or even a regular sniper could take it down.

I don’t think an elephant could had the same feats of dura as a T. rex does. It’s able to tank bites of other T. rexes and a triceratops charge. The main factor being the triceratops charge because the main factor for bullet damage is the joule output combined with the piercing damage. We have the joule output for the triceratops charge at 1 million joules combined with the piercing factor. Where as the highest caliber gun that I know of only has 52 kilojoules. Let’s not forget that the T. rex bite could be 7 tons and can easily crush a car. Since T. rexes can tank all those levels of damage I don’t see them being hurt much by a sniper at best it would take a lot of sniper shots.

combined with the piercing factor. Where as the highest caliber gun that I know of only has 52 kilojoules. Let’s not forget that the T. rex bite could be 7 tons and could literally crush a car. Since T. rexes can tank all those levels of damage I don’t see them being hurt much by a sniper at best it would take a lot of sniper shots.
Piercing damage is thing. Anti-material rifles and snipers can pierce into 9-A. Much higher than the T-Rec’s rating.

I know the T. rex and triceratops have it too
It really depends where you shoot it then. Somewhere in the head is likely to at least harm it in a meaningful way.

It could likely take those high caliber bullets without much issue in any other place.

Keep in mind,I’m pretty sure a Triceratops charge to the head would likely end it pretty quick. So they don’t scale fully to that joule value.

Compare them to animals like bears who fight each with their powerful bite force all the time and because of that can resist bullet fire from a regular hand gun.

I think you would need explosives. Honestly. Or very specific types armor piercing 9-B guns. You would hurt it with regular 9-B guns but you would run out of ammo before you killed it.

Does someone have a link to an equation for why piercing damage can inflict more damage as a pose to the blunt damage when the joule value is equal?

Does someone have a link to an equation for why piercing damage can inflict more damage as a pose to the blunt damage when the joule value is equal?
Because blunt damage is spread across the target evenly,while piercing damage is the joule value condensed into one area.Making it easer to punch through

I don't have an equation but I find the idea of the same amount of energy more easily going through something when it is distributed across a smaller area to be quite intuitive.

Compare them to animals like bears who fight each with their powerful bite force all the time and because of that can resist bullet fire from a regular hand gun.
You mean how saltwater crocodiles bite with 3,700 psi where as a bullet from a chamber can hit 50,000 psi and still hit with thousands of of psi from a distance?

Not to mention it's not like elephants ever no-selled a bit from an large enough carnivore without sustaining any wounds.

Bones are one thing but skin and muscle are a lot easier to shred through. At a good angle, most every bullet could potentially be lethal.
Bears have multiple, very thick, layers of hide that they gained through eons of evolution. It could be assumed that they gained that type of hide in response to the piercing bite force of other bears. That same hide has been reported to resist multiple shots lower caliber gun fire. So it would be logical to assume that the hide of the T. rex would be proportionally tough as their bite force.

One, that's not logical to assume at all, because a physiology of a T-rex is massively different than that of a bear, and you can tell simply by the jaw to body size comparison.

Yes, bears gained tougher hide for better protection, but that's the thing; it's "better protection", not "immunity", and part of that is due to the hide not giving a strong grip for biting, hence why dogs and cats normally play bite each other a lot whereas us borderline hairless creatures get cut from it.

A bullet is not a mouth though.

We don’t have factual data to show us what the actually muscle physiology of a T. rex is. We make educated guesses from the bone structure and draw comparisons from other animals.

I never stated it was immunity I said resistance. Bears have bullet resistance. A T. rex would have high bullet resistance. The bears not being able to get a good grip on the hide is because of the durability. It’s why bears can take multiple bullet wounds and survive being hit by a car going 70 mph.

No a tooth and a triceratops horn would have the same piercing effect as bullet.

Paleontologists have already made educated guesses. In Jurassic World they made one of the dinosaurs bulletproof, so it got people asking if dinosaurs could be bulletproof. Everyone has varying degrees of how much they can take, but everyone claims that dinosaurs wouldn't be bulletproof. And this is coming from a conversation about the ankylosaurus's bony plate armor, let alone the skin of a T-Rex. They even complained that bulletproof dinosaurs would be incredibly unrealistic.

If you're just saying they would resist bullets better, then of course they would, I don't disagree with that. I do disagree if you think that means they wouldn't even bleed from small calibers.

A car going 70 mph has a massive surface area of impact, that is an entirely different conversation from piercing damage.

I never said teeth and horns wouldn't, I meant the jaw itself, I was referring to the direction of the force application. Male lions have hair around their neck for the sake of messing up biting grip, but it wouldn't stop a bullet because bullets don't grip to do damage.

There is a big difference between a bullet bouncing off a T. Rex and a T. rex surviving bullet wounds. The T. rex would be able to survive many bullet wounds.

I said from the very beginning that the would just resist bullets not be immune to them.

Yes but a the largest caliber rifle is equivalent to Toyota Coral going 20 mph so a car going 70 mph would make up for the difference in piercing and blunt damage.

Ok then you agree saying that a mouth isn’t a bullet was a very ridiculous point. Because T rexes have been proven to take the full bite force of other rexes.

I said when I opened the thread that the gun in question would not have unlimited ammo. It would just have access to the practical amount. The maximum amount a person could carry.

I'm not saying they would have bullets bounce off their body or anything, but surviving is a different story because that depends on where the bullet is struck. Logically I'm going under the assumption that the gunshots are going for lethal attacks. Several people have taken well over a dozen bullet wounds and lived to tell the tale, the difference between whether or not it kills is if the target impact is lethal aim.

And no, a car going 70 mph wouldn't "make up" for the blunt damage. Bullets tend to damage things hundreds of times their kinetic energy.

What are you talking about? When were T-Rexes proven to survive the full bite force of other rexes? A while ago you were saying that we didn't know any factual data on T-rexes.

You have misread and misunderstood my statements the entire time we have been discussing this. You need to take your time to read what I am typing.

You need to define lethal shots, if you mean head shots that’s not going to work. Bears can survive lower caliber rifle shots to the head.

“Make up for the blunt damage”? That’s not what I typed at all nor what I was trying to explain. I said make up for the difference between pierce and blunt damage. A bear can survive a gunshot and the impact of a car going 70 mph. So a lower caliber hunting rifle would be roughly equal to a car going 70 mph, clearly.

We have numerous fossils showing that T. rexes fight each other by biting and charging into each other.

One of the reasons bears have evolved to have such tough hide is because of their constant in fighting between each other. There is a good reason why the joule output of the bullets and car crashes they survive are proportional to their bite force.

Lethal shots are just any shots towards vital organs to be, well, lethal, to normally kill in one shot. But by the way you seem to be phrasing it, you mean any shot in the general area, most likely hitting bone.

If you're talking about the bear I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure that bullet glanced off the left side of her head. In several other cases bears have gone down in one shot.

That's actually exactly what I was referring to with the whole blunt damage thing.

I can certainly believe they got into brawls, not saying they didn't. But you have to remember those skeletons are surrounded by tons of skin and muscles and organs, which is the main targets of focus when animals tend to try to kill, not bones.

Durability irl is not just joules. It's not just energy, it's force, pressure, etc. You're only accounting for bullet energy while forgetting the fact that the reason we have 'piercing damage' on this wiki is because a sharp object will do far more damage than a blunt object of a similar kinetic energy value.

If it's body shots, it's hard to say, they could be like Hippos with their 2 inch skin, layers of fat and muscle that basically stop bullets in their tracks.

But if its a bullet to the eye, it should be able to take out any animal by going straight through the eye socket and piercing the brain but of course some people have survived bullets to the eye too so it isn't a sure kill.

If it's body shots, it's hard to say, they could be like Hippos with their 2 inch skin, layers of fat and muscle that basically stop bullets in their tracks.

But if its a bullet to the eye, it should be able to take out any animal by going straight through the eye socket and piercing the brain but of course some people have survived bullets to the eye too so it isn't a sure kill.
a tiger once survived a shot to the brain without injuries. its very, very 1 in a million tbh

ps i do know i said without injuries, even though he was clearly shot in the head. i was trynna say he just wasnt affected by it at all.

Back