• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VTubers: The Cursed, the Cringe, and the Profileable

Howdy!

I've gotten into VTubers over the past couple weeks, and when I learned some of them had lore, I started making pseudo-profiles for them in a sandbox.

Yes, the stats are god-awful. If this thread turns out the way I'm hoping, they will be amended to fit our standards of quality.

As I made more of these, I started to wish they could be more than just for fun. I figured these online personas would have no case whatsoever for their existence in our oh-so-prestigious index; I did some researching anyway. And now here I am, presenting such a case to all that will listen.

Here’s my (way-past-the-point-where-I-should-have-slept) thread about Why VTubers Should Be Allowed on the VSBW.

I’ve seen it brought up that the same reasons we disallow profiles like AVGN are the reasons vtubers aren’t allowed. And as far as I can find, the reasons are as follows:

lqG2MkRyThf79GU2fRxbqVb87ThsQegeYG3VO4pCOCC0bcZfebx7vXxs3FPdpycO270KbAVeOJmd17EHWcCoFu5AmnFL1W9eGKj7FcPzFApSg7hocwdwet48MjYkQjDY85sSrfhm

“the issue is that they're web-video personalities/stage personas who are simply presenting a generally non-fiction show that occasionally has skits and visual gags.”

Several vtubers, on the other hand, have lore that’s very clearly presented as lore and blatantly separated from the content in which they are their everyday selves.

Put a different way, let’s look at Silvervale. The gal you see reacting and gaming on Twitch, the non-fictional person, is very different from the character of the Sakura spirit portrayed in her lore videos. You’ll notice in these lore videos that she’s never even referred to as “Silvervale.”

Lore videos in question...

The Petal

Family Bonds

Love Blooms

Within that argument is another I think should be considered. Though AVGN is a different person from James Rolfe, he has no official lore. Afaik James has made no point or effort to present AVGN as having its own backstory or canon. Though the reactions AVGN has are quite exaggerated, and his personality more abrasive than his creator’s, it seems clear that the fictional character’s thoughts and opinions largely reflect James’s own.

Now let’s look at online personalities who are currently allowed on the wiki. Specifically, PewDiePie from his mobile game and Wilford Warfstache from Markiplier’s video series. When I asked what makes these acceptable, but not vtubers, the following was the response:

wgHfAvECf3IeqZj-Ga61fDdUKeZ_8ypvZftT2jio2ILdJqBTH5Nx62ZZlMft_3xgE7LgzqETK2e6W40v1KAn1CEz0df3kxJgVAeLsnx9qio8tT_PDpNYpTgF4FKZKAUP5B95AouU

(this isn’t me trying to gaslight[?] Phoenix, he just happened to be the one who answered my question)

Anyway, assuming this is, in fact, the reason Warfstache is allowed, then I would argue certain vtubers should be allowed for the same reason. Again going back to Silvervale: the character of the Sakura spirit is part of a series of videos with a tangible and consistent plot. But I’ll point to another relevant example: Hime Hajime. Just like Wilford Warfstache is clearly different from Mark Fischbach and is part of a self-contained narrative, Hime Hajime is different from Sydney “Sydsnap” Poniewaz, the real-life person who portrays her, and has her own self-contained plot in the form of a series of videos.

Videos such as this one

These are fictional characters with fictional personalities, backstories, and abilities that the people who portray and created them have deliberately put effort into crafting.

Don’t take this as an argument for Wilford or LotBF Pewds to be removed. I may be quite biased, but I think the reasons they are allowed are quite fair. I simply would argue that certain vtubers are equally justified, if not more so, to have pages on our wiki.

Of course, this isn’t me advocating for ALL vtubers to be allowed. Veibae has no lore to speak of, for example. Most of Nyanners’ “lore” is presented ironically and as side comments which are never brought up again; she has no videos dedicated to the story of her character like other examples I’ve given. There clearly would need to be some sort of standards set.

Dare I say that a page dedicated to our standards for characters originating online could be beneficial, similar to the one we have for series with mature content. But that’s probably an ordeal for another day.

And if all of that didn’t convince you, my birthday is in about a month, so consider this an early birthday present from all of you to me!

Based on reactions I received when posing the idea of this thread to other users, I anticipate mixed initial reception at best. Hopefully the points I've brought up will be considered as people draw their own conclusions, as opposed to any personal disdain they may have for vtubers, and some level of discussion can be had.

Thank you for your time!

Fun. Neutral on this, would enjoy more input from staff who know shit about what we allow here so I don't have to bother to learn about it.

Majority of us in V-Tubers thread agreed that we're not allowed to have V-Tubers page in this wiki, @First_Witch argued that for Hololive we can used the feats from holografitti, but i disgress

I’m against vtubers. They’re just streamers using an anime persona, and I’m not opening the gates for a DisguisedToast profile based off his Among Us games or some shit like that.
You seem to have not read the whole thread. I'm not advocating for profiles based on their gameplay videos or their streams. This isn't a blanket thread about accepting all VTubers. Some have lore, elaborate lore that distinguishes their characters from who you see in stream or on YouTube.

I agree with the first part but not the second
All disagreements I have seen are from people who read the title, the first paragraph, and skimmed through the rest.

This argues that profiles for their in-lore canon, not their V-tuber stuff, but there actual lore unrelated to their v-tuber job.

All disagreements I have seen are from people who read the title, the first paragraph, and skimmed through the rest.

This argues that profiles for their in-lore canon, not their V-tuber stuff, but there actual lore unrelated to their v-tuber job.
Yeah, may as well make a profile for people like Jesse Cox off of the Animated Co-optional podcasts while your at it.
I'll see about gathering all of the hax, resistances, and Stats for him now.

The point is we would be opening the floodgates for every youtuber who has been animated to get profiles. Lore be damned.

The point is we would be opening the floodgates for every youtuber who has been animated to get profiles. Lore be damned.
Except Warfstache is a character we have on the wiki because they have their own lore, story and background besides the Markiplier youtube. Same with the vtubers in question. Our standards still stand. And not every animated youtuber will get a profile, these vtubers have established lore and lore connections.

This isn't really a good point considering that some V-Tubers literally have established lore that can be used for feats and abilities. Your pretty much rejecting that one Filthy Frank profile even though it comes from the book that we've apparently accepted to be enough lore to add a profile for frank.

In case you didn't know, I now agree because I took 5 seconds to read, and now my eyes hurt.

We wouldn't be doing that. See, something I address in the OP, is the importance of the character having distinct lore, stuff that separates the character from the online celebrity. Animated Jesse Cox is just that - Jesse Cox in animated form. Nothing to distinguish his IRL personality from the cartoon - same name, same characteristics, etc.

My issue comes in, what truly counts as a lore and universe?

Simply the fact that some vtubers have vague 'backstory' to their persona does not, in my opinion, have enough of a narrative involved to make a profile. Vtubers aren't a story, they're streamers - that being said, so I heard something about Hololive and some potential actual story so, depending on the details of that, maybe?

Overall, what I'd need to be able to accept a vtuber profile is an actual story and narrative outside of "This is my persona and this is my backstory".

My issue comes in, what truly counts as a lore and universe?

Simply the fact that some vtubers have vague 'backstory' to their persona does not, in my opinion, have enough of a narrative involved to make a profile. Vtubers aren't a story, they're streamers - that being said, so I heard something about Hololive and some potential actual story so, depending on the details of that, maybe?

Overall, what I'd need to be able to accept a vtuber profile is an actual story and narrative outside of "This is my persona and this is my backstory".
They have seperate lore videos, detached from their v-tuber persona, that explain their backstory and information about them. This is actual story.

I am not inclined to make profiles over less than ten minutes of story that is used purely as background information for a streamer persona.
Well then good thing no one's asking you to make them, huh? Us degenerates are completely capable of doing so!

Jokes aside, how many minutes of narrative would it take for you to approve? Also, in these cases, it's not just background information for the persona. The person streaming and the characters in the lore videos are distinct from each other.

@Moritzva TL;DR, there’s an “official anime” gag series made by the Hololive company on YouTube where the Vtubers do some wacky nonsense that leads to a bunch of bugs bunny nonsense, and it’s technically connected as some episodes reference past episodes, but that’s mostly for Hololive, the rest of the Vtuber branch I have no idea if they even have the same thing.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion, then. We don't have a clearly defined boundary between what is accepted as a narrative and what isn't - attempts have been made, such as with AVGN and similar profiles. As it is, I am inclined to see vtubers more like AVGN than the fully-crafted, longer-winded stories of Who Killed Markiplier? and similar.

But in the end, I suppose it's an opinion-based matter if that's what the debate comes to.

I am inclined to see vtubers more like AVGN than the fully-crafted, longer-winded stories of Who Killed Markiplier? and similar.
I would encourage you, when you have time, to watch the videos from Silvervale. Then I'd ask what's lacking in order to make it "fully-crafted" in your eyes.

But in the end, I suppose it's an opinion-based matter if that's what the debate comes to.

Unfortunately, for me at least, yours is the opinion that matters at the end of the day.

TL;DR, there’s an “official anime” gag series made by the Hololive company on YouTube where the Vtubers do some wacky nonsense that leads to a bunch of bugs bunny nonsense, and it’s technically connected as some episodes reference past episodes, but that’s mostly for Hololive, the rest of the Vtuber branch I have no idea if they even have the same thing.
I... guess that could work?

Unfortunately, for me at least, yours is the opinion that matters at the end of the day.
I don't believe that! I'd encourage anyone looking through this to, if anything, take my opinion as that of an outsider with less knowledge on the verse than most.

I really don't understand the hate for vtubers. Is it really so hard to understand that people feel more entertained watching a girl with an anime profile and a nice voice play video games rather than watchinh twitch thots showing off their **** as much as possible whilst playing boring ass games?
It's more about having those same people in Versus battles getting horribly murdered... least for me.

enough derailment ok? If you have anything to contribute onto the thread beyond either saying No or just saying how you feel about them having pages personally here then you can contribute, if not I will be deleting posts for derailing the thread.

Yeah memes aside this doesn't seem acceptable for profiles. There's not really any internal lore with any (to my knowledge) of these Vtubers and they're all just streamers that have an anime motif going on while playing games.

It's a gimmick, that's all, and we absolutely have refused more acceptable candidates.

I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread for obvious reasons but I just wanted to sound off

There's not really any internal lore with any (to my knowledge) of these Vtubers
There is. We've been pointing that out for this entire discussion. There are videos entirely dedicated to lore for many of them. And they're deliberately distinct from the person portraying them.

As i said above, i'm still against the allowance for V-Tubers profiles in the wikia, if we're allowed it then AVGN should allowed too
I want AVGN here to, but it's honestly such a subjective topic that it's almost impossible to come to a conclusion :/

Back