• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

The MCU is dogshit and I truly, legitimately cannot understand how anybody past the age of 12 can enjoy those movies.

I'm really fucking sick and tired of remakes, reboots, and retellings of various media that already exists. I feel like we're rapidly approaching a media singularity where everything that has previously existed in some form is simply regurgitated in a new coat of paint, whether that be in a remake people forget about in a week or in another ill-fated attempt to create some kind of media multiverse (Space Jam 2 is a good example of this thought process at its worst).

Touhou Project unironically sweeps most verses here in terms of the quality of its storytelling and characterization. Genuinely a great series to analyze the thematics and worldbuilding of, which is why it's so upsetting to see a majority of the fandom keep recycling the same unfunny memes and gooner mentality. Not gonna ruin my enjoyment, though.
To be fair, a surprising amount of people are incredibly elitist about interacting with the franchise's main vehicle, much of the franchise could probably be translated better, and even the non-elitist fandom itself does turn people away.

But you're also not wrong either when it comes to the quality of its storytelling and worldbuilding. Characterization I'm kind of iffy on because they just seem to change randomly depending on medium, but it is genuinely entertaining and a lot of its world is well realized in ways a lot of other worlds really aren't.

The MCU is dogshit and I truly, legitimately cannot understand how anybody past the age of 12 can enjoy those movies.

I'm really fucking sick and tired of remakes, reboots, and retellings of various media that already exists. I feel like we're rapidly approaching a media singularity where everything that has previously existed in some form is simply regurgitated in a new coat of paint, whether that be in a remake people forget about in a week or in another ill-fated attempt to create some kind of media multiverse (Space Jam 2 is a good example of this thought process at its worst).

Touhou Project unironically sweeps most verses here in terms of the quality of its storytelling and characterization. Genuinely a great series to analyze the thematics and worldbuilding of, which is why it's so upsetting to see a majority of the fandom keep recycling the same unfunny memes and gooner mentality. Not gonna ruin my enjoyment, though.
This but only modern MCU

Early MCU was legitimately pioneering for it's time and basically forever changed how superhero movies and even action movies operate

I feel like the reason it got worse over the years is because they settled on one single formula that made money and stretched that to every movie they release now

This formula seemed to have originated in Guardians of the Galaxy and the last MCU movie with the old formula seems to be Civil War

I can't explain it exactly but the way the movie flowed changed after Civil War towards a more goofy slapstick style of humor

Erm.. Sexual harassment.. Ban this guy..
s8c4tfvfchxb1.jpeg

Colder
Coldest

To be fair, a surprising amount of people are incredibly elitist about interacting with the franchise's main vehicle, much of the franchise could probably be translated better, and even the non-elitist fandom itself does turn people away.
The elitism is something I never really got. Maybe I'm just insane, but passing on your own knowledge of a series to new fans is something I enjoy deeply, both for the sake of being able to talk about something I love and in the hopes that the person I'm talking to enjoys it as much as I do. Why can't other people be like that?

But you're also not wrong either when it comes to the quality of its storytelling and worldbuilding. Characterization I'm kind of iffy on because they just seem to change randomly depending on medium, but it is genuinely entertaining and a lot of its world is well realized in ways a lot of other worlds really aren't.
I think the "inconsistent" characterization is either deliberate (and very well done) or just blown out of proportion (like with Flandre, where CDS kinda just demolished the fanon image of her and people got really mad that their HCs were disproven). In Reimu's case, the inconsistent characterization is very deliberate, as she's purposely written in a way such that her own thoughts are never shown, only being viewed through the lens of others. In SSiB, which focuses on the Lunar Capital, Reimu is far more laid back and carefree to act as a foil to Yorihime (who is far more rigid in her lifestyle, belonging so a society the denies change and embraces stagnation). In WaHH, she's borderline incompetent and usually trying some Dick Dastardly-esque get rich quick scheme to highlight her obsession with worldly things relative to Kasen, a hermit who is meant to eschew material things. In FS, she's portrayed as highly knowledgeable, efficient, and ruthless in combat, yet outwardly cold to most people, given the overwhelming focus on the human village and, by extension, their perception of her as a youkai exterminator lacking in social graces.

I could go on, and for a lot more characters, but man... I just fucking love how this series is written.

This but only modern MCU

Early MCU was legitimately pioneering for it's time and basically forever changed how superhero movies and even action movies operate

I feel like the reason it got worse over the years is because they settled on one single formula that made money and stretched that to every movie they release now

This formula seemed to have originated in Guardians of the Galaxy and the last MCU movie with the old formula seems to be Civil War

I can't explain it exactly but the way the movie flowed changed after Civil War towards a more goofy slapstick style of humor
Sure, and I'd probably enjoy those older movies if I went and revisited them, but I feel like there's an equal chance that the current state of the MCU will just sour my enjoyment.

Rere Fuji W
I also find it frustrating how much attention this verse gets on this site. That shit is more wanked than you average battle shounen
MSH+ Black Widow is something that still scares me

A Yugioh series for each card archetype would be genuine peak.

If Ufotable animated the original Fate anime in 2005 it would have been in the big 3.

Jump Force wasn't a bad game, and was genuinely enjoyable to play with friends and family despite the 3000 loading screens.

Rere Fuji W
I also find it frustrating how much attention this verse gets on this site. That shit is more wanked than you average battle shounen
MSH+ Black Widow is something that still scares me
MCU profiles are better formatted than 90% of Marvel Comics profiles and I feel like that says something about society, but I'm not sure what.

Well… you’d dislike a lot things then. People would prefer to watch movies rather than read comics which explains the existence of the MCU. Lots of MCU fans isn’t so knowledgeable on the main 616 media.

I personally don't mind if a piece of media gets rebooted/remade if there's a high demand for it. Like, I'm pretty sure there are a ton of people who would want to see another Avatar cartoon in the future. It's just when corporate companies make reboots/remakes of media no one asks for. It doesn't help that the companies often try extremely hard to pander to a certain audience and it bombs horribly.

Prime example. Who tf wanted this?

I got some unpopular opinions myself.

I'm so sick and tired of people trying to force narratives about certain media down people's throats like it's a fact. Gonna use Avatar as an example again.

A decent portion of the cartoon community thinks Avatar is the greatest cartoon ever made, and some people hammer this narrative down until everyone conforms and agrees with them. Let people form their own opinion.

Another one is that people shouldn't be determining what show they like more based on what's the better show from a technical standpoint. People should be determining what show they like more based on what show they enjoy watching more.

I personally don't mind if a piece of media gets rebooted/remade if there's a high demand for it. Like, I'm pretty sure there are a ton of people who would want to see another Avatar cartoon in the future. It's just when corporate companies make reboots/remakes of media no one asks for. It doesn't help that the companies often try extremely hard to pander to a certain audience and it bombs horribly.

Prime example. Who tf wanted this?

I got some unpopular opinions myself.

I'm so sick and tired of people trying to force narratives about certain media down people's throats like it's a fact. Gonna use Avatar as an example again.

A decent portion of the cartoon community thinks Avatar is the greatest cartoon ever made, and some people hammer this narrative down until everyone conforms and agrees with them. Let people form their own opinion.

Another one is that people shouldn't be determining what show they like more based on what's the better show from a technical standpoint. People should be determining what show they like more based on what show they enjoy watching more.

I'm not reading the rest of that but isn't there a new Avatar show in development? Along with new movies?

Aight so

The movie Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp was better than the first movie cause it followed the books better. Americans rave on about the first one because of nostalgia and inherited nostalgia. The first movie isn't horrid but it had major flaws that make it lower for me than the new one.

Aight so

The movie Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp was better than the first movie cause it followed the books better. Americans rave on about the first one because of nostalgia and inherited nostalgia. The first movie isn't horrid but it had major flaws that make it lower for me than the new one.
OK but "Pure Imagination" is a peak scene filled with joyous and wonder

OK but "Pure Imagination" is a peak scene filled with joyous and wonder
I am not denying the good parts. It's just the fact that the movie was made cheaply as a B movie that only got its status as a classic because of heavy TV promotion. It doesn't capture the uniqueness of the author's world and changes many things, the author himself essentially being written out from production. The movie was a heavy disappointment to him to the point that he didn't allow anyone to make another movie until his very death.
Tim Burton, on the other hand, catches the uncanny unqiueness of the world, making the factory feel like an entirely different universe, while the 1st movie felt a bit too realistic. You can argue that they had neither the technology nor the money for that kind of level but that is the problem, it would truly shine if it is made properly and not cheaply.

Also the first movie reuses oompa loompa songs while the TB version uses actual lyrics from the book.

I am not denying the good parts. It's just the fact that the movie was made cheaply as a B movie that only got its status as a classic because of heavy TV promotion. It doesn't capture the uniqueness of the author's world and changes many things, the author himself essentially being written out from production. The movie was a heavy disappointment to him to the point that he didn't allow anyone to make another movie until his very death.
Tim Burton, on the other hand, catches the uncanny unqiueness of the world, making the factory feel like an entirely different universe, while the 1st movie felt a bit too realistic. You can argue that they had neither the technology nor the money for that kind of level but that is the problem, it would truly shine if it is made properly and not cheaply.
I know, I just love that scene.

Berserk is boring, the only thing I liked was the art and some concepts but none of the concepts that interested me were developed so 🤷

Aight so

I'm American, and I prefer the Depp version to the Gene Wilder version.

Berserk is boring, the only thing I liked was the art and some concepts but none of the concepts that interested me were developed so 🤷
I like it but after a while it just became a slog and I'm not waiting this long for Guts to finally kill an edgy femboy after like 300 chapters

I will never understand the random obscure ass light novel or webtoon that people hype up when talking about beating Goku. it's tragic. But CaN he beat Goku ThO? Someone brings up Unicron victim number 555 or Superman victim number 913. Nobody really cares about your unknown MC 😭.

Teratons > Quettatons by the way 🥱

I will never understand the random obscure ass light novel or webtoon that people hype up when talking about beating Goku. it's tragic. But CaN he beat Goku ThO? Someone brings up Unicron victim number 555 or Superman victim number 913. Nobody really cares about your unknown MC 😭.

Teratons > Quettatons by the way 🥱
I know my boy Space Dandy beats Goku! No LN and only 26 episodes!

Back