• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New ability - Grappling/Tethering

Ok, so far there is pretty many characters from big icons to less icons that have this ability in conventional sense or unconventional.

The concept, which is made by @KieranH10 is here.

Pretty simply it should be added on powers and abilities page via the fact that it's pretty useful and multifunctional in combat and as stated above, many characters have it but doesn't have mentioned that form of ability.

The only possible problem for it I can see is that it's at some sort similar to Thread Manipulation. But as stated in Page: "Grappling does not include the ability to create or directly manipulate threads, only their ability to use threads, ropes, or more to their advantage."

So, just to conclude: I think this ability should be added to powers and abilities and page of other characters.

Note: As basically everyone is leading towards side for ability being called "Tethering", so pretty much since there's no one against main name of ability would be "tethering".

Agree: Me, @Armorchompy, @KieranH10, @Dalesean027, @Great_king_frog, @EliminatorVenom, @Bernkastelll, @ShadowWhoWalks, @Hellbeast

Disagree: @QuasiYuri, @The_Impress, @Promestein, @Tllmbrg, @Bobsican

Neutral: @Ecstasy_Amphetamine, @SamanPatou

Last edited:
We have many mainly traversal abilities that also help in combat, might as well have the last one that would generally be thought of out there too!

As has been mentioned in the Unofficial Power thread, Tethering is likely a better name if it's made. (But I do still think Grappling would deserve a redirect)

I agree with this.

Honestly didn't know this wasn't already a thing, I'm in agreeance with this

This seems good, though the name should be tethering instead of grappling, since grappling has a broader definition, and more often refers to melee grappling (fighting with grabs and throws) than to ranged grappling (tethering).

Initially I thought "who would have this aside from very specific characters?", but then I remembered that lassos and whips exist.

I concur, it is indeed applicable. I personally think it already fits under Weapon Mastery, but it is different enough to justify it, I think.

I didnt understood the difference of this to Thread Manip, can u explain better pls?
Sure.

Thread manipulation is usually when character have ability to directly control threads. For instance, Jolyne Cujoh or Spiders.

Tethering is (usually) stuff you can use through items, can also varies from item to item. For instance Link, Wrecking Ball, Widowmaker, Hat Kid and etc. You can't say they can control threads, but you can say they can do stuff despite of similar to thread manipulation without their abilities being connected to thread manipulation at all.

Sure.

Thread manipulation is usually when character have ability to directly control threads. For instance, Jolyne Cujoh or Spiders.

Tethering is use stuff you can use through items, can also varies and from item to item. For instance Link, Wrecking Ball, Widowmaker, Hat Kid and etc. You can't say they can control threads, but you can say they can do stuff despite of similar to thread manipulation without being connected to threads at all.
Oh, fair, yeah, I agree with this

Sure.

Tethering is (usually) stuff you can use through items, can also varies from item to item. For instance Link, Wrecking Ball, Widowmaker, Hat Kid and etc. You can't say they can control threads, but you can say they can do stuff despite of similar to thread manipulation without their abilities being connected to thread manipulation at all.
The Death Grip from Darksiders also means Death gets this

The Death Grip from Darksiders also means Death gets this
Yeah, there are plenty of characters who will have this, as soon as ability will be approved, I'll probably make a thread where you guys can say characters that should have it, similar to underground mobility thread and Multiple Selves thread.
we should preferably get more staff input.
Hmm, can you "@" someone? Things will certainly speed up a bit.

Sounds useless tbh. That's just using your weapon in a certain way.
I mean, it can be basically something that can't be clarified as weapon. Weapon mastery is usually swords, guns, on this case whips. However this ability covers not only whips, you can't use grapples or ropes and other stuff which can't be used like weapon at all on opponents (with exceptions like in grapple user in TABS, or let's say if he counts, Scorpion from MK, but other characters mentioned above and in sandbox can't use that stuff as weapons if it at all is weapon)

Especially since there's plenty stuff associative with word "weapon" and it could be understood differently from what it is.

Same as in previous underground mobility: there's maybe the characters that can do same with high AP, but it doesn't means that something character can do, or can at all properly.

Same here, you may can master a weapon, but that doesn't mean you can use it at that way.

Yeah, there are plenty of characters who will have this, as soon as ability will be approved, I'll probably make a thread where you guys can say characters that should have it, similar to underground mobility thread and Multiple Selves thread.
Good idea

As for what I think about this, I think this means that we'll have to make pages for other similar techniques? We might as well add surfing as a skill, but this reminds me that I need to do something about the current P&A system that we have.

Imma wait for people to disagree with this, not because I'm going to join their side, but because I want to hear what other people say against the addition of this skill. I'm quite torn on adding this kind of ability.

I disagree with this, if we now start counting basic actions as "Powers and Abilities", it won't be long before we start listing shit like "Projectile Launching" and "Enhanced Jumping"

A line has to be drawn, and I draw the line at "Grappling/Tethering", this is too mundane to be worth listing.

Yah I'm with Zark on this
All cases of someone having it would likely fall either under Thread Manipulation or Weapon Mastery anyways, if not some other power

This power is just doing a function, which while you can argue something like acrobatics is also that at the very least that one encompasses a wide range of actions and requires you to do it with your body.
Tethering on the other hand has so many ways to be achieved that it becomes too wide a power you can give to a lot of people

I disagree with this, if we now start counting basic actions as "Powers and Abilities", it won't be long before we start listing shit like "Projectile Launching" and "Enhanced Jumping"

A line has to be drawn, and I draw the line at "Grappling/Tethering", this is too mundane to be worth listing.
I agree with Impress. This is redundant, and it is better to expand the text in existing powers and abilities pages to mention it instead. My apologies.

The difference is we already have energy projection and superhuman physical characteristics. Tethering isn't much a basic action, especially since it can be a factor for fights, for instance to show higher mobility of the character, like flight, surface scaling, acrobatics and etc.

Counting tethering as weapon mastery wouldn't worth at bare least because I don't think something like this, this, this and etc. can fit under thread manipulation or weapon mastery.
At bare least I think it should be noted on weapon mastery, if it's don't worth an ability page.

Don't want to sound offensive and all, but if the main argument is the fact that it's only one function, there are plenty of functions of ability mentioned in sandbox, and to point out, does skill to drive a car then seems more worth and complex?
Not really, they're all variants of "Throw/Shoot a hook of sort of and then have it be stuck on an object"
Also yes, Vehicle Mastery is more complex I'd say considering the various vehicles it can be applied to and how many types of feats could fall under it

Don't want to sound offensive and all, but if the main argument is the fact that it's only one function, there are plenty of functions of ability mentioned in sandbox, and to point out, does skill to drive a car then seems more worth and complex?
You know purposely dumbing down an ability only makes your argument look worse?

Vehicular Mastery isn't JUST driving a car, it's being able to maneuver a bajillion different things. Next.
Hell does Social Influencing?
Considering there are people that can talk you to suicide and in general Social Influencing is VERY important in non-standard matches for a variety of uses, it is a dumb point to bring up

Awakened Power should be deleted tbh

You know purposely dumbing down an ability only makes your argument look worse?

Vehicular Mastery isn't JUST driving a car, it's being able to maneuver a bajillion different things. Next.
And yet I've seen characters that get this ability simply because of being able to drive a car.
As well as tethering isn't just swinging with rope, especially when there are characters that can do numerous maneuvers with that ability.

Back