• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andytrenom said:
Yobo stop acting like redundancy as a rule has been abondoned for power creations, it's still very much a legitimate reasoning for disallowing certain powers
It more or less has though

Anyway, in this case redundancy is not a valid reason, as the power itself is notable, applicable through different methods, and has various differences with abilities already here.

How about you actually link specific comments where you think the redundancy rule was decided to be "more or less" abandoned?

I was in that thread and still can't figure out where you got that idea

DontTalkDT said:
It's minor sub-powers that are being restricted, not sub-powers in general.

Point is we are not the superpower wiki, we don't try to index powers. If we didn't have a rule somewhat restricting power creation to what is reasonably necessary, we would just end up with countless hardly used powers and/or profiles with cluttered p&a sections, because powers are over segregated.

So the rule regarding power creation should be "As few as possible, as much as necessary".
This is what Ant agreed on.

So even if it was a sub-power (which it isn't) it's not necessarily precluded

That still doesn't show redundancy no longer being a reason for rejecting powers, it only shows that there are scenarios where powers can exist despite being subset of something

Yet you constantly react to any arguments along the lines of "this power looks redundant" with some variation of "that argument isn't valid". I would really appreciate if you would stop that

Andytrenom said:
That still doesn't show redundancy no longer being a reason for rejecting powers, it only shows that there are scenarios where powers can exist despite being subset of something

Yet you constantly react to any arguments along the lines of "this power looks redundant" with some variation of "that argument isn't valid". I would really appreciate if you would stop that
Because redundancy is used as the only reason in those cases. Redundant is only a reason that factors in if they also mention its lack of notability

All right, I made a minor correction and added more uses... You known, the ability sounded to be more unique when it was suggested above, but now that I see it is just a bunch of other abilities mixed with the appearence of the character.

Antoniofer said:
All right, I made a minor correction and added more uses... You known, the ability sounded to be more unique when it was suggested above, but now that I see it is just a bunch of other abilities mixed with the appearence of the character.
Hence why it's unique enough to have.

Small thing:

Transformation is a power that allows the user to transform in a more powerful form, right?

Can we add to that same page a type of transformation, that is basically Metamorphosis?

Metamorphosis would be a type of transformation that unlike the regular one, doesn't allow the user to re-transform into his previous form. In addition, usually, the user's transformed self is very much different from their previous forms, and can even have a completely different set of powers, not necessarily maintaining the ones that they had previously.

Well:

• Goku's SSJ from(s) is something increases his powers, but he can revert to his base form.
  • A Caterpillar, once turned into a butterfly, can't, and its appearance and abilities are completely different from its previous form, nor does it maintain the ones he previously had.
Also, a lot of the times, when the user has type 1 transformation, they tend to automatically revert to their base once their stamina has run out.

I guess type 1 can be called something like Power-Up and type 2 Metamorphosis or Evolution

Mothra Leo is the 1st character than comes to my mind that would have both types.

That's a good one, it'll be nice to have something to put on Pokémon profiles to cover their ability to evolve.

Most mega evolving Pokémon would also have both types btw. Type 1 for mega, type 2 for regular evolution.

I would agree with calling it metamorphosis over evolution, since that's the actual scientific term for this sort of thing irl.

Well, evolution is generally a direct upgrade (though an irreversible one), while Metamorphosis kind of completely changes the user, not necessarily maintaining previous powers.

Though again, the main difference between those and a power-up transformation is that the former would be irreversible.

Both are still transformations though. It doesn't matter if you can revert back or not, we're not talking about what could happen afterwards or whether it is reversible or irreversible. We are talking about the act of transforming and both are the same thing.

Exactly, in fact, I wasn't suggesting making a new page, but simply dividing the power into two types, while still keeping it all in one page.

DMB 1 said:
Exactly, in fact, I wasn't suggesting making a new page, but simply dividing the power into two types, while still keeping it all in one page.
That could be an idea.

I see, although Deconstruction is kinda different, but I see that we use EE for that (although personally, I like more the name of Destruction/Erasure).

And Curse M. is not the opposite of Holy M, is more the oposite of Luck or Blessing.

Btw, apparently we already got a category for Organic users, but its its a superset of other categories, so I guess we do not need to add a new category.

Also, shouldn't Acrobatics be a subset of Martial Arts? As in all the characters who are martial artists should by default be acrobats.

Doesn't make sense to mention acrobatics in all the character pages that already have martial arts listed. Acrobatics should just be listed in the martial arts page.

Martial Arts are about combat, whereas with Acrobatics that's not necessary. Humans and ANimals that aren't martial arts experts are still able to perform crazy jumps and dashes.

At best I'd change their name with "Enhanced Agility" or something.

It's not about having acrobatics gives you martial arts. My point is that being a martial artist, you're by default an acrobat.

Not really? You are just more skilled in fighting. I do know karate, but I can't do a somersault.

And by what you are saying, Martial Arts would be a subset of Acrobatics, not the opposite.

Nope, being an acrobat doesn't mean you're skilled at fighting. I did not mean that.

What I meant was this:

"Acrobatics is defined as the technique of performing maneuvers of balance, dexterity, agility, and coordination."

This is literally what every martial artist could do, along with the multiple possible uses like Enhanced Condition, Hypermobility, Self-momentum, etc.

I feel like we should have a Food Manipulation page which involves users whose power revolves around creating, shaping and manipulating food-based substance like crackers, Mochi or Ramen

Acrobatics and Martial Arts are quite different, one do not need to move with grace, balance and coordination (Boxing) and the other do not need to be good at fighting (Pankour); they tend to overlap, bit one can be have MA without having Acrobatics or viceverse. In short, one is Enhanced Combat and the other Enhanced Blance/Agility/Jump.

@Kobster, thats covered under Organic Manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back