• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could make it just acrobatics to include more characters, in case we're looking forward to more stealth mastery, martial arts kind of powers.

I made a Silver Tongue blog Which I believe should be added. Silver tongues can be combat usable. Certain characters like the guy from fallout can even cause fear just through words alone, and could get more info out of people. It straight up manipulate them too.

I think Silver Tongue could (with a different name) be generalized to include other non-supernatural/psychological ways of influencing the opponent. E.g. the White Quee's Charisma or a character that manipulates others through beauty.

Y U booly mi?

I said the same thing a while ago, and nooooo. Everyone brutally rejected me. But now, here comes a dude with a fancier name for the same thing and it is acceptable?

Was the issue with my suggestion the mundaneness of "Skillful Persuasion". Granted Silver Tongue is a better and more apt name by far, but why wasn't my suggestion even considered?

Donttalk is the only one who commented Tac, it's not quite accepted yet.

I for one am against it for the same reasons as skillful persuasion.

Maybe to cover Persuasion we could make Command Inducement, it habe a little of Mind Control and Body Puppetry although sometimes do not involve neither.

It's just intelligence imo. Not a power.

Ehh. A silver tognue can have many uses and also doesn't require necessarily good intelligence. Several characters who aren't very smart or are downright stupid have used this before. Silver tongue is a bit to different just to fall under intelligence. As it doesn't necessarily require you to be very smart. Even the fallout character can use it at extremely low levels of intelligence (even at 1 out of 10 intell). As well, he utilizes it in many ways, like certain speech option he gives can cause a sudden feeling of fear and cowarding. Sometimes it's just a natural thing about characters that they are charming which they can use to manipulate. I say it is different enough to have a page.

There are very different types of intelligence. Just because you're good at chess doesn't mean you're good at rocket science and vice versa.

Still too different from intelligence. Charm tends to be natural and not really what they are saying, and more so the fact they are saying it. Charm and intelll aren't really the same thing.

Well, no. "Charm" is just using tricks on the human psyche to make people like you more. There isn't a magical thing that happens when you are born to give you the stat called "charm" or something.

Knowing how human psychology works and exploiting it to manipulate people is definitely an intelligence feat.

While persuasion alone can indeed be seen as intelligence (with some exceptions), the same can not be said for beauty or charisma.

Charisma can partially be won through intelligence, but not every charismatic person is intelligent nor does being manipulative necessary enable one to become charismatic (e.g. if you're ugly).

The White Queen is the perfect (extreme) example, having a non-supernatural charisma of the extent that she could just walk through the city and people would start worshipping the dirt below her feet (literally). She isn't actively doing anything in order to cause that, so one can really not call that intelligence.

Well that is exaggerated fantasy, so you can't really equate it to real life.

Being "charming" is nothing more than subtle body language, behaviors, way of speaking, etc that makes people more drawn to you. Most people who you would find charming are more than likely doing it consciously, even if they don't know the science of how it works.

That's the reason why most psychopaths for instance are charming. They know how to manipulate people.

That's what I'm meaning. It's a natural ability certain characters have. And some verses acknowledge them to be completely different from actual intell. Manipulation through charm.

Tho maybe the page could be edited more to be Charm rather than silver tongue. So it can fit all form of charm.

The charm thing I'm actually fine with. There is a character i know who can explain to a classroom the exact way in which he's going to cut their teacher into pieces and make them feel secure and comfortable. On the opposite end there are character who can defeat opponents through their sheer fear inducing presence.

These types of abilities are worthwhile to include imo

Charm may not be the best word. The one I can think of to best describe this is aura but that's already taken. Charisma also comes to mind.

Charisma is charm tho isn't it? Just shortened. Regardless. I think Charisma is a good word to use. Typically what's associated with this ability.

Question is if we also want to include the negative end.

E.g. instead of making someone like you, by being charismatic, making someone do what you want by seeming scary, dominating or having an aura of authority.

Not sure what we would call it then, though. (Ascendancy? I literally just got that from a dictionary, so no idea if that fits.)

Umm. I'm not sure if that would go under charm or not. Like fallout has that exactly. It causes the person to feel fear. And it's done through Charm being high enough

Ogbunabali said:
Not really. Body language and rhetorical skill are not the only factors in being charismatic or convincing. There are multiple factors to it, which can make up for one another in high enough extents. E.g. a dirty, stinking, fat man will be less charismatic than a beautiful woman, if the other factors are the same.

Similarly personality and talent can make up for what one lacks in consciouss effort.

And since we are talking about fantasy, it being exaggertated fantasy is irrelevant. We are not equating anything to real life, as we aren't talking about real life.

Yea. I don't like trying to compare fiction to real life in this situation. It doesn't make sense to do that. Causes fiction and reality are very different

@Butter Maybe Fallout does it but in general, making someone shit their pant by staring at their general direction wouldn't really be something that's considered "charm".

DontTalkDT said:
Sure being beautiful helps. But if you're an asshole no matter how beautiful you are, you won't be charismatic.

"Personality" isn't a magical thing either, it still falls under the same thing that "charm" does. And talent is the same as beauty. Sure you can be a great pianist and that's great. But if you're bland and boring you won't stand out. Why do you think the eccentric artists are the most famous ones.

And? The fact that it is fantasy has a lot to do with this. Those effects that the White Queen produced are quite literally impossible to do in real life. So if she did it she must have done something supernatural to achieve them, if not it's just PIS, because people don't act that way no matter who you are.

I mean sure if you had previous exposure to them and you're already brainwashed you might produce those effects, but that's not the same as "first time you see someone walking you start to worship them out of the blue".

Ogbunabali said:
And that's where I have to object

For one, Plenty and I do mean plenty of characters are charming but assholes. That's part of what charm can do. Despite being an asshole, Characters having natural charm are still liked in fiction. And it's a common thing.

Personality isn't intelligence. Very different things. Intelligence can have effect on ones personality, but by no means can you regard them as the same thing

Again. That's irrelevant that it couldn't happen in real life. In real life. Nobody can warp reality on the whim, there are Thousands of pages that would need to be removed by the logic that it couldn't happen in real life. It's fiction. So much is Not able to be done in real life and is super natural.

And my above point stands. Fiction. If they have that natural ability. Then it's an ability. Like the guy from TDI brainwashed sharks just by looking at them with his looks alone. And he is an ass in the show. Yet he can use it to manipulate people spite him not really being an actual likable person

Buttersamuri said:
That's just semantics. Replace the word "asshole" with unappealing personality.

And "personality" isn't a magical thing so can we please stop treating these things like they are individual stats in a video game. There is a scientific reason why some personality traits are present in appealing individuals.

They do something, be it a certain behavior a way of talking, doesn't matter, which triggers a certain chemical reaction in your brain which results in you perceiving a thing in a certain way. And that is done with a conscience effort, aka you need a certain degree of intelligence to do them, even though I dislike the word, it's called "Emotional Intelligence". Stop undermining peoples abilities, by just dismissing it as a random thing you decided to call "personality".

Exactly my point. I don't know what we disagree on here.

Ogbunabali said:
Someone with an unappealing personality wouldn't Have charm then. That's just describing if someone didn't have a charm to them. If they are unappealing, that means they aren't charming. So that is a pointless argument.

This is fiction. Stop trying to compare to real life. By your logic right now. Reality warping, several immortalities, and several hundreds of pages would have to be removed.

its still an ability separate from intelligence. If someone who has a charm to them asked a character for something. They are gonna get better results than if someone who seems unappealing asks them for the same thing. And it's not Emptional Intellgince. Charm can be a super natural thing. Or a natural one. People don't need to know emotions to have a charm.

If we agree that it's an ability, what's the issue with a page. It's an ability many characters share and can use combat wise.

Buttersamuri said:
Ok?

Look if it's an ability done by supernatural means, it would probably fall under Empathic Manipulation or some form of Mind Manipulation.

If it's not done by supernatural means, it's not an actual "power". And I disagree with it, but I also disagree with stuff like Vehicular Mastery. But if stuff like these are allowed to be here then I don't see why this shouldn't be either.

If you ask me I would make a section like "Weakness" and "Intelligence", called "Skill" or something where all of those things would fall under.

Charm can be super natural. I've said that multiple times. It can be natural or super natural. Several characters have a super natural charm, but could be an asshole yet still get what they want. Certain charms can fall under irl like wordplay. But There are definitely characters who just have a charm to them which isn't able to be explained. It is its own ability. And should have it's own page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back